Tuesday 3 July 2012

Fifty years ago today - July 1962.

The sight of people going to work in flippers was enough to tell us that June 2012 was one of non-stop rain. And it's starting to look like July'll be even non-stoppier.

But, fifty years ago this month, were our favourite Marvel heroes suffering from a dampened ardour in their quest to thwart evil? Or were their hearts as full of fire as ever?

Only a  trip back in the Steve Does Comics' time machine will tell us, as we take a look at just what they were up to in July of 1962.

Fantastic Four #5, the Fantastic Four are trapped as Dr Doom makes his first appearance

The Fantastic Four's greatest foe makes his first appearance as he sends our heroes back in time to retrieve Blackbeard's treasure.

Even from the start, Victor's got a trick up every sleeve and a robot for every occasion.
Incredible Hulk #2, the Toad Men plan their conquest as the Hulk smashes in through a wall, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko

It's the obligatory alien invasion storyline that every Marvel hero had to deal with in the early 1960s, as the Incredible Hulk takes on the Toad Men.

It's also the dream combination of Jack Kirby and Steve Dtiko - and you can read my review of that very issue right here.


PS. Please don't forget to vote in the vitally important poll to the right.

9 comments:

Kid said...

Just love those Toad men.

Steverino, how do you make a link out of the word 'here' - as opposed to having to type out the full link?

Steve W. said...

First highlight the word you want to turn into a link

In the toolbar at the top of the box where you compose your post, there's a thing that says, "Link". Click it.

Paste the web address of the page you want to link to in the box that appears, choose the, "Open this link in a new window," option and then press, "OK."

Unknown said...

Love my early '60s Jack Kirby F.F., and this was a classic issue. Cheers!

Steve W. said...

Hi, Andrez. :)

Kid said...

Thanks Steve. How do you know so much when you spend all your time wandering around the streets of Sheffield?

Steve W. said...

As I roam the streets of Sheffield, people often say to me, "Steve, you're a man full of useful blogging tips but do you know how to insert a hyperlink into a blog post?"

And I tell them, "No. I'm too busy messing about with my blog's HTML till it breaks."

So they tell me how to do it.

Boston Bill said...

Steve, I first found your blog through a google image search for a comic cover (wish I could remember which one)!

As someone who grew up in America loving Silver Age Marvel, I enjoy the reminiscing of someone who grew up with the reprints as seen in my adopted homeland.

Oh, and will you ever do a 'Best Marvel Superteam' poll; that one could divide opinions!

Anonymous said...

I was also looking for a comic cover and I'm very pleased that I did.

Steve W. said...

Bill, I will definitely do a, "Best Marvel super-team," poll. And in the not-too-distant future.

Lawyerwithalife, thank you. :)