Thursday 5 July 2012

Forty years ago today - July 1972.

It's July – the month named after Julie Andrews. But, if we take a look at what Marvel's greatest heroes were up to exactly forty years ago, will we find a few of our favourite things?

Amazing Spider-Man #110, The Gibbon, John Romita cover

Spider-Man takes on the Gibbon.

This is one of the tales reprinted in the spell when Spider-Man Comics Weekly disappeared from my local newsagents for several months.

I've since caught up with it via the appropriate Marvel Essential and, with its tale of a hapless loser trying to be a super-doer, it's one of my favourites from what I always view as a slightly sub-par period in the strip's history.
Avengers #101, Rich Buckler

Rich Buckler resists the urge to imitate Jack Kirby, as The Avengers are told to let five innocent people die if they don't want the world to end.
Captain America and the Falcon #151, Mr Hyde and the Scorpion

It's Captain America and the Falcon vs Mr Hyde and the Scorpion.

Frankly, I don't fancy their chances.
Conan the Barbarian #16, The Frost Giants Daughter, Barry Windsor Smith, Roy Thomas, Robert E Howard

Roy Thomas and Lord Barrington Wyndsor Smythe give us their stylish adaptation of Robert E Howard's The Frost Giant's Daughter.
Daredevil #89, Electro, Killgrave the Purple Man

Daredevil has to take on not only the pulse-pounding peril of the Purple Man but also Electro.

Frankly, I don't fancy his chances.
Fantastic Four #121, Creature From The Black Lagoon

Hooray! It's the return of the monster that bears no resemblance to the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

I remember reading this one in Captain Britain's weekly mag, although I don't remember much about the tale itself.
Incredible Hulk #153, Trial

It's another of my faves, as the Hulk finds himself on trial.
Iron Man #48, Firebrand melts armor

Iron Man gets his metal tested by a man with the same taste in colours as himself.
Mighty Thor #201, Pluto

It's Thor vs Pluto.

Frankly, I don't fancy his chances.

3 comments:

Boston Bill said...

That Conan cover was certainly based on the great Frazetta book cover
http://occamsbroadsword.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/frazettas-hyborian-age.html

It looks like the Falcon hasn't gotten his wings yet. I liked him better when he flew.

Steve W. said...

I do prefer the Frazetta version - although Barry does steal a march on him by including the story's title character and making the size difference between the protagonist and his antagonists clearer.

Anonymous said...

I only just bought the Avengers one - it was missed out in the Avengers United reprints. I assume that's because it was written by Harlan Ellison. Good story.

I bought the Daredevil when it appeared over here in that period when Marvel america got their comics turning up on time and not dumped over here 3 years late! It's still around somewhere...