Tuesday 22 October 2013

The most forgettable comics I have ever owned. Part 9: Marvel Two-In-One #37 & #49.

Marvel Two-In-One #37, The Thing and Matt Murdock
Marvel Two-In-One #49, The Thing and Dr Strange It's a case of, "Steve Does Appropriate," today as the feature the internet can't stop talking about returns with a two-in-one edition of its own.

A couple of years back, I bought a job lot of old comics that contained, amongst other things, a sizable run of Marvel Two-In-Ones. Upon perusing them I was surprised to discover that amongst them were two comics I'd totally forgotten I'd ever owned during childhood.

The first featured the Thing being buzzed in the ear to distraction until he starts breaking things - such as street lamps - and lands up in court. Needless to say, New York's only living lawyer Matt Murdock's soon on hand to no doubt fail in his duties.

The other tale features Dr Strange - and possibly the Thing going on holiday. And this is just how forgettable the comic is; because, even though I re-read this tale just two years ago, I still can't remember what happens in it, making it the only comic I've ever owned whose contents I've managed to forget twice.

As I've said before, given my love for the Thing, and how fondly I remember his series, it really is remarkable the difficulty I have recalling any story he's ever appeared in.

Oh well, I don't care. He's orange, he's made of rocks and he says, "It's Clobberin' Time!" a lot. And, when it comes down to it, that's good enough for me.

5 comments:

snell said...

I just found #49 in the Quarter Bin 2 weeks ago...and I've already forgotten it...

Anonymous said...

Steve, I don't know if you've heard of the magazine "Comic Heroes" but the latest issue (which I've only just bought) is all about superhero team-ups including Marvel Team-Up and "Marvel Two-In-One's finest hour" (whatever that is !)

Steve W. said...

Thanks for the info, Colin. I'm relieved to discover Marvel Two-In-One had a finest hour.

Anonymous said...

I actually remember #37, vaguely. It was the beginning of a three-part serial that somehow ended up including Henry Pym/Yellow Jacket and the Vision.

david_b said...

Funny Anonymous, I picked up that very same Thing/Vision/DD/YJ issue fresh off the racks on a whim, having stopped comic collecting a few years prior.

A fairly good story, with the Vision actually enjoying watching football at Avengers Mansion (?), but nothing earth-shattering, nor spurring me to collect further stories.

Loved the Thing, but I just collected the first half-dozen MTIO initially and it was enough for me. Like MTU and other team-up mags, by mid-70s they didn't faze me as they once did.