Thursday 23 July 2015

2000 AD - June 1977.

Hold on tight - because it's time for us to once more leap backwards into the future and find out what IPC's greatest ever comic was giving us in June of 1977. What thrills did it have? What spills?

2000AD #15, MACH 1

The last time I was in the Himalayas, a Sherpa asked me if I'd seen an abominable snowman since I'd got there. My reply? "Not yeti."

To be frank, I don't know if that joke makes any sense at all to anyone but it was the only one I could think of that had anything to do with this cover, so it'll have to do.

2000AD #16

Who could forget Barry Manilow's immortal words, "Bermuda Triangle. Don't go too near."?

Clearly, the denizens of 2000 AD could, as they find themselves in a right mess.

That cover reminds me of that legendary film Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, where the shark leaps about eleven thousand feet up out of the water and attacks the Jumbo Jet.

2000AD #17, Flesh

There's a sight you don't see every day.

But it's always good to see the return of Exposition Man. I do feel I should have one of my own; "Steve's crossing the road! He's entering a shop! He's looking at the price of yogurt!"

2000AD #18, Judge Dredd.

Judge Dredd; a man with a head for law-enforcement.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

One of the few (kinda) interesting things I know about 2000ad (not being a massive fan of the comic) is that the great Don Lawrence drew the original cover to the last issue you have pictured on your list. However that originally had a wee old woman watering the "heads" but this was covered up and pasted over with Carlos Ezquerra drawn Judge Dreed illo - but Don Lawrence's "heads" and background remained - You can see Don Lawrence's cover on the link below:

http://www.artdroids.co.uk/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=4596&ArtistId=657&Details=0&From=Room

Steve W. said...

Thanks for the info, Paul. It's a pity that was Lawrence's only 2000 AD cover. It would have been interesting to see him draw some of its best-loved characters.

Anonymous said...

Exposition Man kept his wits, took his time and paused to accurately identify the owners of the three human heads stuck on top of that rampaging dinosaur. I call that doin' your job under pressure.
Thanks, Exposition Man! You've correctly analyzed the situation. Now you may join the rest of us who have already commenced to flee shrieking out of the room in a mad panic. M.P.

Steve W. said...

I'm disappointed that Exposition Man didn't identify the dinosaur too. :(