Thursday 18 August 2016

August 18th, 1976 - Marvel UK, 40 years ago this week.

In August of 1976, the UK finished the Montreal Olympics with three gold medals. As I type this deathless prose, we have twenty one gold medals.

Does this mean the past was rubbish compared to the present?

Yes it does.

Does this mean we were downhearted in 1976?

Of course it does.

Does this mean I wasn't interested in the 1976 Olympics?

Of course it does.

Fortunately, I didn't need sporting glory. Why would I? I had the power and majesty of Marvel UK to keep me going.

Marvel UK, The Titans #44, Fantastic Four vs the Maggia

It's that tale where the Fantastic Four find themselves up against the Maggia - and having all kinds of trouble with them.

Maybe it's just me but the very idea of the Maggia turning up in the FF's book seems like near-heresy. Surely the people who took on Galactus, Annihilus and Dr Doom shouldn't be lumbered with fighting a bunch of small-time gangsters who can't even beat Daredevil.


Mighty World of Marvel #203, the Hulk

Zzzax is back!

And I still don't have a clue how many times the letter Z should feature in his name.

Neither does he, I suspect.

Neither does the Hulk, I suspect.

Then again, the Hulk probably doesn't know how many times any letter should feature in any name.

That aside, I always liked Zzzax. He had an appealing air of menace about him.

Super Spider-Man with the Super-Heroes #184

It's a tale of pulse-pounding drama, as the Tarantula continues his reign of terror.

Perhaps more importantly, Harry finally finds out Peter Parker's secret identity.

Surely no good can come of that.

Marvel UK, Planet of the Apes #96

Happy Herb Trimpe gives us the cover to a story I have no memory of.

All I know is that here we are, in the future and they still haven't got round to building a psychedrome.

What on Earth are the fools playing at? Why are they wasting all that money on the Olympics when they should be building a psychedrome?

I still remember our childhood chant, "Psychedromes, not velodromes!" Have they forgotten it already?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My memory of the psychedrome is a bit hazy , Steve, mainly because it was some seriously weird shit, in large part thanks to the unusual art work of Tom Sutton.
Not as accomplished as Mike Ploog maybe - who was absolutely fantastic on POTA, of course - but Sutton had something quite distinctive to his work all the same.

I think that story started with Jason and co tripping out on peyote or something, which seems the perfect set up for Sutton somehow...

-sean

Anonymous said...

The only thing I remember from that FF story was the Thing sneezing gag at the start. It was a shame that Kirby's last few issues were a bit pedestrian. I know I was still buying POTA at that point but none of the last half dozen have jogged any memories. I vaguely recall the Hulk jumping off a building, in this Zzzax story, and falling faster than another person due to his Hulk-related mass. I believe this breach of the rules of gravity is somehow connected to wearing purple trousers.

DW

Steve W. said...

Thanks for the POTA info, Sean.

DW, my main memory of that Hulk tale is Bruce Banner getting an incognito job as a janitor, in a strange foreshadowing of the TV show.

Anonymous said...

How does one pronounce "Maggia," anyway?
I've already embarrassed myself by mispronouncing Sub-Mariner, Annihilus, and Thanos, and I just can't go through that again.
M.P.

Anonymous said...

MP, I assume it's pronounced Magg-ee-a (like Mafia). And I still say Sub Mareener.

Steve W. said...

I've always pronouced it, "Maggie-a." Although, thinking about it, I suppose it could be pronounced, "Majji-a," which does sound a bit more stylish.

The Prowler said...

I think one difference between the 1976 Olympics and this year's is the dearth of Soviets/Russians. Once we got rid of those guys, it opened up more events for the non-caught-cheating athletes.....


(Wake up Maggie I think I got something to say to you
It's late September and I really should be back at school
I know I keep you amused but I feel I'm being used
Oh Maggie I couldn't have tried any more
You lured me away from home just to save you from being alone
You stole my heart and that's what really hurt).

PS: Still Not A Robot......