Thursday 25 August 2016

August 25th, 1976 - Marvel UK, 40 years ago this week.

Hooray! I've got my bucket and spade ready and I'm sat astride a donkey while wearing a, "Kiss Me Quick," hat.

Why?

Because I was on holiday in that Rio de Janeiro of the north, Blackpool, when I first read these tales.

But just how holiday a mood were our favourite heroes and villains of Marvel UK in at the time?

And did they remember to pack their trunks?

Marvel UK, The Titans #45, Fantastic Four vs Sub-Mariner

The Sub-Mariner certainly remembered to pack his trunks. As always, it's the only item of clothing he has remembered to pack.

And thank God for that as he once again shows his awesome intellect by teaming up with a super-villain, having totally failed to spot that he's up to no good.

Needless to say, it all leads to war with the surface dwellers, and Subby suddenly realising he's been a bit of a wally.

Marvel UK, Planet of the Apes #97

That's quite a dramatic cover.

I do believe it's by Ron Wilson.

Admittedly, I only know that because the Grand Comics Database tells me it is. Frankly, I didn't have a clue who'd done it until they told me.

As always, I have no idea what the Ka-Zar story entails.

Mighty World of Marvel #204, The Hulk

It's that one where the Hulk comes up against his own shadow - or at least an alien masquerading as his shadow. You'd struggle to call the tale a classic but I have a soft spot for it.

Super Spider-Man with the Super-Heroes #185, The Green Goblin

I believe it was in this tale that I first discovered that you can tell Hollywood movie fake dust from real dust by licking it to see if it tastes like soap.

This is a piece of knowledge that has, so far, not yet proven to be at all useful to me in my life.

Nonetheless, I bear that information in mind, just in case I need it one day.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the Marvel heroes.
toyswill

Anonymous said...

I believe this is the one where Subby teams up with Magneto, back when Magneto was evil, a cackling madman, before he became a sort-of good guy and sensitive to the feelings of others.
Still, it's a step up from the Hulk. Their plan to conquer the world together (I get the oceans, you get to hop around on land like a big green grasshopper terrorizing humanity) didn't last too long.
And then we had Dr. Doom. Sigh. Subby just wasn't good at picking allies.
M.P.

Steve W. said...

You do get the feeling that Atlantis should have introduced a law that people have to pass an IQ test before being allowed to become supreme monarch.

Dougie said...

From what I can discover, Ka-zar was in an Arabian Nights-style city with a giant talking Buddha statue ( Holy multi-faith community!). It was a Conway/Moench/Heck story that was weirdly Sinbad-ish and totally forgettable.

Steve W. said...

It certainly was forgettable. I have no memory of it at all.