ThanKs to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for Their Sponsorship of This Post, via The Magic of Patreon.
***
Who remembers Glenn Medeiros?
I certainly do.
And July 1988 was doing its best to make sure it stayed that way, as he spent almost the entire month at Number One on the UK singles chart, thanks to his smash hit Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You, before being dislodged by Yazz and the Plastic Population's The Only Way Is Up.
Over on the accompanying album chart, July launched with Tracy Chapman holding sway, via her self-titled album, before that was usurped by Now That's What I Call Music! 12.
Change was afoot in politics because the Soviet government voted to end the CPSU's monopoly on economic and other non-political power and to further economic changes towards a less rigidly Marxist-Leninist economy.
While, in engineering, Istanbul's Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge was completed, providing the second connection between the continents of Europe and Asia via the Bosporus.
But what of cinema?
Just what was on offer to us when we handed over our money for that ticket?
It was a month that saw the release of such never-to-be-forgotten masterpieces as Short Circuit 2, Arthur 2, It Couldn't Happen Here, Phantasm II, The Dead Pool, Die Hard, A Fish Called Wanda, Big Top Pee-wee, Caddyshack II, Cocktail and Monkey Shines.
Upon consideration; of that lot, I think Die Hard was the film most likely to get me to hand over my money, bearing, as it does, a remarkable resemblance to how I live my own life.
And of the galaxy's greatest comic?
What news?
But there was novelty too, with the arrival of an intriguing-sounding strip called Tribal Memories in which writer Peter Milligan and artist Tony Wright present the story of Mohammed “Mo” Robinson, a cynical memory trader in a future where personalities are assembled from memories that have been bought.
The internet informs me that he visits our world, seeking a Maasai warrior whose memories are completely authentic, and what begins as a satirical sci-fi tale of cultural commodification develops into an exploration of colonialism, exploitation and prejudice.
I know Bruce Willis's 'Die Hard' character's now considered a classic/staple, of movie history. At the time, however, having watched 'Moonlighting' for ages, Willis's wise-cracking David Addison character seemed much 'cooler' to me, than 'tough guy' John McClane, whose jokes seemed more about machismo than humour. But that's just me!
ReplyDeletePhillip
One story that keeps repeating itself is how movie Studios for
ReplyDeleteMovies and Commercials are frequently recycling existing franchisees like Spider-Man and relying heavily on older tunes, for their commercials or movies, that were successful 30 and 40 and 50 years ago.
Is this where it starts, in the later 80s? We are starting to see a lot of [Title] 2 or even 3 now?
Funny you mention the USSR Steve. There is a new movie out in the USA portraying Reagan and Gorby in Iceland.Alas it will just feed MAGA’s myopic, ameri-centric view that the USSR collapsed because it was trying to compete with Regean’s fictitious Star Wars progam. Can I possibly borrow Count Bin’s bin-head and run for office here? Would Binny loan it to Charlie?
ReplyDeleteAnonymous - Philip?
ReplyDeleteI think there were always sequels, reboots, remakes.
Think of all the Tarzan movies; all the very similar movies featuring 'character' performers like Laurel & Hardy and Abbott & Costello etc; actual movie serials like Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers that people handed over money for; Planet Of The Apes movies; The Omen 1,2 & 3; the Airport series. That's just off the top of my head. Aren't the horror 'classics' like Dracula and Frankenstein etc franchises of a sort?
It's just part of the business. People moan about how smaller, decent movies don't get made any more, but I've seen at least a dozen smaller, decent movies this year. And we've had the remarkable blockbuster success of Obsession and Backrooms as well.
So July 1988. I remember it well.
The end of my first year at 6th Form. Not a great summer.
I really liked that Yazz single though. Not being a hipster, and not living in London at the time and claiming to have heard the acid sound ages ago, it was very new to me.
The only one of those films I went to see at the time was A Fish Called Wanda. I thought it was hilarious, and counted it amongst my favourite comedy films. Until I tried it again a few years back and it was near-unwatchable. Hideously over-acted and obvious, really unfunny, and with one of those terrible English music scores that overemphasises everything to the point of parody. Not going near it ever again.
I didn't see Die Hard for a couple of years, and even then watched it on a pan-and-scan VHS tape with half the picture missing. I wasn't all that keen but it's grown on me. I wouldn't say it's a favourite, and its massive reputation is a bit bemusing. See also Predator on that front.
I sort of remember Tribal Memories being a brave but boring experiment. The ABC Warriors was what it was. That Tyranny Rex stuff - was it any good? It was a John Smith concept, wasn't it? People sometimes speak of his writing in hushed tones.
Which begs the question...
Steve - have you considered adding Crisis to these 2000AD columns come September? It might be interesting to see what people thought of that.
Anonymous wasn't me, Matthew!
ReplyDeletePhillip
Philliip- Your comment about Bruce Willis' characters struck a chord with me. Both my wife and I were huge fans of "Moonlighting", and a big part of the reason was David Addison.
ReplyDeleteAlso saw "Arthur 2" and "Caddyshack 2",neither were impressive nor do they stick in my memory. Nor did "Big Top Pee-Wee" or "Cocktail"...
Matthew, I more or less agree about Tribal Dreams, which was intriguing but not actually as interesting as Steve's (second hand) description suggests.
ReplyDeleteTony Wright - credited in the original progs as 'Riot' iirc - had (I think) worked with Brendan McCarthy, and his stuff looked quite distinctive and stylish. But as often seemed to be the case, writer Peter Milligan had an interesting concept but didn't really do that much with it.
In fairness though, Tribal Dreams was only four episodes, which may not have been long enough to really explore issues of colonialism, history and 'authenticity' in any depth. And I'm not sure 2000AD was really the best place to do that anyway (the soon come Crisis, aimed at an older audience, would probably have been better).
Mind you, it wasn't that long after that Milligan got to write six whole issues of a (proto-Vertigo) comic for DC, Skreemer - drawn by Steve Dillon and Brett Ewins - and he didn't do a lot with his idea for that either.
John Smith's stuff didn't do much for me. Indigo Prime a bit later seemed interesting for a while? But generally it was as if something was missing from his stories, so they didn't draw me in. Especially not Tyranny Rex.
Like, she's a humanoid dinosaur...? Whats that all about?
Oh dear, that was all a bit negative, wasn't it?
So, on the plus side... Everyone's favourite Celtic beserker was back this month! Admittedly Sláine only made a one off appearance for a few pages... but what a few pages! Glenn Fabry's work seemed to have taken a massive leap forward - it looks like he was using a brush more? - and gave us a fantastic taster for the next series. Which I guess we'll get to in a couple of months.
Along with the return of Zenith. Hey, you win some, you lose some....
-sean
Steve, you didn't mention that the Pet Shop Boys film 'It Couldn't Happen Here' came out this month. Perhaps that shouldn't be too surprising as it does seem to have been largely forgotten by history. And deservedly so, imo.
ReplyDeleteBut the internet never forgets! And so it can be seen in its entirety here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGnh5W4tt28
Filmed entirely on location (appropriately enough, considering the title) in Clacton-on-Sea!
-sean
Charlie, Margaret Thatcher's fawning supporters believed the Soviet Union collapsed because SHE stood up to them!
ReplyDeleteYesterday's BRAIN OF BRITAIN on Radio 4 featured a question about Marvel's Fantastic Four!
Sean -
ReplyDeleteThat Pet Shop Boys film got an anniversary remaster and re-release by the BFI (!) a few years ago. So not quite entirely vanished.
But…
I was a big PSB fan at the time and seriously couldn’t be arsed watching it. It looked rubbish.
A friend bought it for me on blu-ray when it was re-released and I still haven’t got round to it.
I'm not especially into the Pet Shop Boys myself, Matthew, but I can't imagine even a fan finding the film watchable.
DeleteBasically, it's a sin (see what I did there?)
Funnily enough, after leaving that comment last night, I was watching something else on YouTube, and the algorhythm recommended a recent BFI video of Neil Tennant discussing 'It Couldn't Happen Here'. At first Tennant seemed a bit vague about it - as well he might! - but started to lean into it more when the interviewer said it was kind of the first film about Brexit... three decades early! Er, if you so say so mate.
It's going to take more than being filmed in Clacton to convince me it was about Thatcherism - which was at least a thing at the time - let alone Brexit.
-sean
I recognise the Slaine cover but none of the others. I assume I just picked that one up for the Fabry art, before writing for Zenith to return.
ReplyDeleteNo love for Cocktail? I saw this with my (then) new girlfriend and quite enjoyed it. If you want prime smiley Cruise, I think this is the one. I remember borrowing a copy on to re-watch a few years later and the waterfall scene (when Elizabeth Shue show a bit of side boob) was oddly damaged. As if it had been freeze-framed too long and stretched the tape.
Main memory of Glenn Medeiros was Trevor and Simon spoofing him on Going Live as Glenn Madeira-cake. It seemed funny at the time.
DW
waiting for Zenith to return. I never scripted Zenith.
ReplyDeleteDW
Elizabeth Shue showed a bit of side boob.
ReplyDeleteD (on fire) W
Because Die Hard is set at Christmas some people consider it their favourite Christmas film!!
ReplyDeleteI've never seen It Couldn't Happen Here but the video for Always On My Mind is taken from the film - the Pet Shop Boys are driving a car while Joss Ackland sits in the back acting weirdly.
Apropos to bi-lateral relations across the pond…
ReplyDeleteCharlie was listening to the boys on talkSPORT this morning and they were talking about the new Scottish men’s national team coach “coming from left field.”
Charlie always thought this was an American baseball reference. Google says it is so! So I was correctly mildly surprised that Brits would be using the term.
But I did learn a little bit more in that Google tells me the term references noises coming from an insane asylum that was across the street from left field at the Chicago Cubs baseball stadium. Good god! I will never forget this now that I know it, lol!
DW - I had love for Cocktail, aged 20 (when I first watched it.) Catchy music, too ( 'Wild Again', etc.) However, materialism doesn't digest well, as an old git! I suppose, with surrogate father Bryan Brown's demise, Tom Cruise's character supposedly became a sadder & a wiser man ( like Bud Fox, at the end of 'Wall Street' ). Not altogether convincingly, though!
ReplyDeletePhillip
Phillip, admittedly I haven't watched Cocktail for decades and suspect it will have lost its charm (much like its lead actor). I'd look for it on YouTube but worry typing 'Elizabeth Shue side boob' three times may impact my credit rating.
DeleteDW
I know it's 6 years too early, but has anyone else in/on Team UK been watching 'The Irish R.M.' on Freeview? As a character, Flurry Knox gives Bryan Murray far more to work with than Bread's Shifty Bowell, in the late 80s!
ReplyDeleteSpeak of which....
Matthew, I was enjoying 1988, because in September 1986 I moved from a school that was like the Wild West, to a good Sixth Form elsewhere, with real camaraderie, for my final two years schooling!
Phillip
Speaking of which!
ReplyDeletePhillip
Hey, DW, I read a short comic strip last week that I thought you might appreciate -
ReplyDeletehttps://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2026/aug/11/david-squires-masochistic-life-of-a-football-league-fan-cartoon
-sean
Sean, that was excellent.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sean. Very close to home. I almost got up at 1am to watch Burnley West Ham but was worried we'd give away a 2:0 lead with 7 minutes to play. D'oh!.
ReplyDeleteDW
Phillip, I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with The Irish RM.
ReplyDeleteMatthew, I shall look into adding Crisis to this feature.