Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon.
***
Let's have some more nostalgia.
It's a, "Spectacular 150th anniversary special!"
It's amazing to think it means that, with this issue, the Avengers had been around for a hundred and fifty years. At the time, it must have seemed like barely more than ten.
It's just a shame the cover tells us nothing of what happens inside such a landmark publication.
But it doesn't need to.
Because, by crikey, I can tell us!
I can sensationally reveal that many are the comings and goings within the ranks of the Avengers, with Captain America taking over the leadership and Hawkeye, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch all rejoining.
However, because this is a team and not a legion, departing the gang are Thor, Iron Man, Giant-Man, and the Wasp.
And it's bad news for that nation's enemies, wherever they may lurk, as Cap puts a stop to both the Elite and William Taurey while the Falcon destroys the Big Daddy Madbomb in Philadelphia!
Logically, such an event would cross-over into all other Marvel super-hero comics, this month, but, to my knowledge, it doesn't.
But, before that, the Fantastic Four try to find a planet to sacrifice, so that Galactus won't eat Counter-Earth.
But, surely, this quest is doomed.
After all, what kind of world would volunteer to be eaten?
Jarella's back!
And that's pretty much all I recollect of this epic.
Jarella's back!
And that's pretty much all I recollect of this epic.
However, the Internet informs me that this month's villain of the month is the God of the Mountain. A name that rings no bells, either for or with me.
Iron Man's still having trouble with the Blood Brothers.
Iron Man's still having trouble with the Blood Brothers.
But not to worry, because Daredevil takes a break from trying to avoid being killed by the public, and turns up to help out.
Apparently, the Controller's also in this tale.
I can only assume this all connects with Thanos in some manner.
Spidey remains at odds with Doc Ock and Hammerhead. The latter of whom is, clearly, no longer a phantom.
These are thrilling times for me because this issue was my first-ever exposure to the New X-Men!
I didn't have a clue who these people were or what was going on in it but I knew at once that I loved them in a way that I could never love the original X-Men.
Spidey remains at odds with Doc Ock and Hammerhead. The latter of whom is, clearly, no longer a phantom.
I didn't have a clue who these people were or what was going on in it but I knew at once that I loved them in a way that I could never love the original X-Men.
That aside, it's a landmark 100th issue and the new gang find themselves having to fight the old one on a satellite, with a damaged space shuttle being the only way out of there.
One that lacks the shielding needed to exclude the deadly radiation that only space can inflict upon you.
Determined not to be left behind by the Avengers, Captain America and X-Men, yet another Marvel hero celebrates a landmark issue.
Determined not to be left behind by the Avengers, Captain America and X-Men, yet another Marvel hero celebrates a landmark issue.
And it's his 250th!
Not that he has much to celebrate. I think this is the third time Mangog's been on the loose - and the third time he's tried to draw the Odinsword!
Not that he has much to celebrate. I think this is the third time Mangog's been on the loose - and the third time he's tried to draw the Odinsword!
You'd think he'd have come up with another plan by now. Like getting his hands on the Cosmic Cube or the Infinity Gauntlet or both or something.
But, hold on. What would happen if someone with the Cosmic Cube got into a fight with someone who had the Infinity Gauntlet? Who'd win? And why has no one ever asked this question before?










Hammerhead pic, from the 1977 Superheroes Card Game:
ReplyDeletehttps://tainthemeat.wordpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/marvel-superheroes-top-trumps-4.jpg
Phillip
You know…. charlie is almost inspired enough to check and see if Kirby’s Cap is collected and available in our library system.
ReplyDeleteFor some reason Charlie is going to let bygones be bygones and give it another try.
It really didn’t work so well for me 50 years ago but after reading how Marvel’s writers and artists seemingly mocked him during that time period, SDC’s 50 years ago stellar reviews, and heck… SEAN, MP, RED and many others seem to like it so I think it’s time.
By the way, thanks to you Gents (we really need some dames!) i bit the bullet and biught KIRBY’s 2001 Treasury Edition. Set me back like $40. But it is the only way to actually read the thing! It has not been reprinted as far as I could tell. And what the hell it’s less than two tickets to go go see the ODYSSEY in 70 MM IMAX.
I think Kirby’s 2001 TREASURY is worth every penny of that sum, Charlie Joe. I hope you enjoy it!
ReplyDeleteb.t.
Oh, and Kirby’s “Return To Marvel”
ReplyDeleteCap run has been reprinted many times, most recently in an Epic Collection TPB called “THE MAN WHO SOLD THE UNITED STATES”. Hopefully you can find a copy via the Interlibrary system.
b.t.
One more thing: the last 14 issues of Kirby’s run (including CAP 212, one of my all-time favorite Kirby Komiks) are in an Epic Collection titled simply ‘THE SWINE’.
ReplyDeleteb.t.
It’s insure if I cant borrow the Cap Archive #6, sniff sniff. Only one library MAY have it about 20
DeleteMiles away, lol, in Schiller Park IL.
They titled it as #6 in the catalogue but the description saysbit is #8.
Sheesh. CH
The incorrect usage of the word "anniversary" annoys me too, Steve - for example "six-month anniversary".
ReplyDeleteI'm not into football but I'm following the FIFA story with great interest - can Gianni Infantino survive??
ReplyDeleteYou just get annoyed with the word anniversary? Yours truly gets really annoyed with the use of the word decimated.
ReplyDeleteI almost, Nay, I really do, think the government should have a television channel running 24 x 7 with all sorts of little factoids like this!
JPP
By the way, if you want to see a sea of humanity, Google video images from “lollapalooza” in Chicago this weekend. Literally hundreds of thousands of people, and there were no shootings, no murders or anything of such which the maggots are waiting to chastise Chicago with. Not to mention delays due to intense storms.
ReplyDeleteSteve, thanks for mentioning the "Rein Me In" song because I'd never have heard of it otherwise. Apparently it has now broken the record for the most weeks at No.1 on the UK singles chart (19 weeks to date) but when I watched the video on YouTube there were loads of comments underneath saying they'd never heard of it either. I also discovered that Madonna had a recent No.1 album which was news to me because I didn't realise Madge was even still around - I've become totally clueless about current music!
ReplyDeleteCharlie/Joe - yes, "decimated" is another word that's always used wrongly.
Anyone Else a member of the “Count Binface appreciation society“ on Facebook?
ReplyDeleteOr maybe “”Comte Tete-de-Poubelle?”
Now you see, old Charlie never would’ve discovered them were it not for DANGERMASH and his incredible artistic talents!
Colin, the way that modern hit songs fail to make any impact beyond the artists' own fan base is a remarkable thing to behold. I think I've only ever managed to hear a couple of tracks by Taylor Swift, despite her massively high profile in the mainstream and social media.
ReplyDeleteAs for Gianni Infantino, apparently, he's gone running to Donald Trump, asking him to save him, which leads me to assume he's doomed.
Charlie, I've heard it argued by linguists that, as English and Latin aren't the same language, there's no onus on English speakers to stick to the Latin meaning of a word when speaking English. Basically, because of long-term usage in both languages, the word has split into two, meaning there's a Latin word "decimate" which means to kill one in ten, and there's an English word "decimate" which means to devastate and they shouldn't be viewed as being the same word.
Phillip, thanks for that Hammerhead link.
I believe I bought every one of these here comics that month, and more besides (we’ll see how many of those show up in the Lucky Bag). Not a particularly outstanding group of comics but not offensively bad either. That month’s AVENGERS is kinda notorious — lots of ballyhoo on the cover about it being the 150th issue , and it’s almost entirely a reprint. Alan Stewart had an excellent post about the behind-the-scenes drama on his ‘Attack of the 50 Year Old Comics’ blog a few weeks ago.
ReplyDeleteI have fond memories of this issue of DAREDEVIL, first of a two-part story with dynamic and stylish art by John Buscema and Jim Mooney. Hmmm, I wonder if it was originally meant to be an Annual or something….
b.t.
I had that Thor comic when I was a kid, and I loved it!
ReplyDeleteWhat's not to like? Kirby cover, Big John Buscema's pencils, epic battle.
And Mangog...
A great villain, but some might say he was a little bull-headed.
(crickets)
....and, I'll be going now. Lemme just grab my hat and coat....
M.P.
Don't give up the day job, M.P.
DeleteSo, what's not to like about Thor #250? How about Marvel Comics eating themselves?
One of the things that was cool about Jack Kirby's run on Captain America is that he only once used a returning villain - the Red Skull - and that was right at the end. Meanwhile, the rest of the Marvel A-list seemed to be continually feeding off his 60s stuff. As well as Thor going up against Mangog, you also get Galactus in the FF this month...? Zzzzzzzz.
Steve, that wasn't really the original X-Men in #100 was it? Weren't they just robots or something? That cover was as misleading as Donald Trump saying the Americans are about to win in Iran.
-sean
PS It seems that the Thor Treasury with the original, Kirby-era Mangog story also came out this month. You can see why the timing might make sense for a publisher, but I don't think it does Thor #250 any favours.
Delete-sean
Another wrongly used word is "temper" which actually means calmness hence you LOSE your temper when angry.
ReplyDeleteCharlie, I don't know who played Lollapalooza recently, but apparently in a couple of months in Chicago - at Riot Fest 2026 - you lucky people will be able to see William Shatner's heavy metal outfit, The *uckers.
ReplyDelete-sean
Hi Sean - me and the missus talked about going to RIOT FEST. She likes some Of the groups . But large, standing -only crowds in I think what is actually a neighborhood… NO thanks.
DeleteBut we are seeing the Violent Femmes in a few weeks and Justin Hayward in a month-ish.
We both prefer assigned seats and/or relatively small venues if standing. Riot Fest ain’t that lol.
Sean-
ReplyDeleteI would agree that, as you so charmingly put it "Marvel was eating itself."
Yeah, to to a large extent that's true, but even these recycled characters were new to me and guys my age when we first read this stuff in the '70's.
Like Galactus and the Silver Surfer for example. That was new to me. Not everybody's a hundred years old, Sean. In the '60's I was in a diaper. (and may well be again at some point)
By the way, what did you make of Superman when he first got introduced? Reading it in a horse and buggy I assume...
M.P.
As Jim Shooter famously said: "Every comic is somebody's first comic."
ReplyDeletePhillip