Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon.
***
Here we go.
There's mixed news for our battling barbarian, this month.
The possibly bad news is that the demon inhabiting the body of Tetra is out to win the heart of our hero.
The good - presumably - is that Keiv is restored to his human form, after having been in monstrous guise since the days of Conan the Barbarian #173.
Come to think of it, that was only twelve issues ago. Why does it feel like an eternity?
Protests that Moonstone decides turn into riots!
On top of that, Subby's sued for billions by a group of insurance investors.
But isn't he supposed to be infinitely rich because all the gold, diamonds and treasure from all the shipwrecks in the world are his to claim?
That sounds like the cue for Silver Sable to step in and replace him.
But, surely, that can only lead to a clash with one of his numerous foes?
It does.
And, in this instance, that foe would be Jack O' Lantern!
Conflict hits the X-Men when they're not pleased with Wolverine for using his claws on Rachel just as she was trying to kill Selene.
Still, Rachel knows how to deal with that - because, when he gets in her way again, she throws him in front of a subway train!
She heads for Dr Strange's house to confront him over the loss of her powers.
But, first, she has to work out how to get into it, given that it's magically protected.
But there's more everyday drama to be dealt with too, as Robbie tries to come to terms with the fact that his son Randy's suddenly got a white wife!
To be honest, Robbie's never struck me as being the kind of man who'd have a problem with that.
It's bad news for greengrocers everywhere because Loki's stolen the Apples of Idunn and hidden them in the Old West!
I am assuming that means Thor's now going to visit the Old West.
And I can only assume that means he's going to be meeting up with at least one of Marvel's cowboy heroes.
Inside this thrill-packed book, when Tony Stark and Clytemnestra visit a fair, they run into Jack and Lissa Russell.
And, needless to say, things quickly head south, with Lissa becoming possessed by Morgan Le Fay, and Jack transforming into the Werewolf!
The end for both Bruce Banner and the Hulk?
It's starting to look that way because, physically separated from his green alter-ego, the scientist continues to weaken and his doctors announce he must again merge with the Hulk if he's to survive.
Still, with the Hulk also weakening, the Avengers finally manage to defeat the brute.
But what's this?
The Hulk may not live long enough to reintegrate with Banner, because Hercules is all set to kill his fallen opponent?
It looks like we're in for a trip on the Nostalgia Train, as the Fantastic Four are back in Central City where, unless I'm totally misremembering, is where it all began for them,
And they're there to investigate a black dome that's surrounding the town.
Apparently, Central City's in California, which is a bit odd, as I'd always assumed it to be more... ...you know... ...central.
With a bar full of villains dead - and all other minor bad guys in a panic - Cap disguises himself as Mirage, in a bid to lure Scourge into his trap.
But, just as it seems he's about to acquire the answers he seeks, a mystery character appears and kills Cap's foe!
I'm not sure if I had that Thor or not - the cover would be enough to make me suspicious that it was a crap fill-in issue [which I think it was].
ReplyDeleteBut obviously the DD and the - for me - slightly disappointing ending to Born Again. It's obviously very good indeed, I just didn't expect superheroes to rock up, and I wish Miller had gone a different route. Still, as Sean and others have pointed out, it's one of the best Captain America stories ever.
And speaking of those two comics...
I understand that Marvel has put its line of Masterworks hardcover reprints on permanent hiatus. It's a bit of a shock as I'd just picked up my first few over the past 2 years. I wanted the run of stories on DD between Miller leaving and returning. There's a lot of dross in there, but I liked Janson's last few issues, which had never been reprinted, and some of the early work of David Mazzucchelli.
Luckily I have a tpb from about 20 years ago that reprints all his really good work after that, called 'Love's Labours Lost'.
And the Simonson Thor Masterworks were 2/3 of the way through being reprinted with the original colouring intact. I think another publisher has stepped in to continue a few of the titles including Thor.
And finally...
I popped into the Oxfam Bookshop in Muswell Hill today [I am not rich enough to live there, but it's a regular stop-off for me]. They'd just got a massive donation of thousands of 70s and 80s comics that they're still sifting through. Apparently donated by the singer of Napalm Death!
So if anyone lives in North London, there's going to be a lot of decent comics going on sale there over the next month.
MM - fwiw Marvel has been reprinting again but in a smaller-book format and soft cover and color. Just a bit smaller than current comics. Not sure how many pages they are but several issues in a row. But they are starting at the beginning like FF1, ASM 1, etc.
ReplyDeleteI have mixed feelings about Marvel and DC’s “masterworks” because of the shiny white pages. Difficult to read when there is a bright light.
JP
I collected every marvel masterwork the first time they came out. I think it was just short of 30 volumes before they stopped. This was from late 80s to early 90s. When they started agin in the late 90s it was too late for me, settled with kids.
ReplyDeleteIn a separate subject, the appearance of Central City in FF clearly comes from that run with John Byrne as writer when he would dig into all sorts of things that were mentioned in early issues but never explained:
ReplyDelete- where was Central City?
- who was Thing's Aunt Petunia?
- why the beef between Thing and Yancy Street Gang?
- was this also the time when they dressed change in Thing¡s appearance from blobby to rocky? And how Torch's identity could be a secret in his solo strips? And extra skrull from FF#2 who didn't appear in Kree Skrull war? And probably more stuff that I've missed.
I strongly approve of Byrne's direction over this period.
DM - I am with you on Byrne’s FF! I thought the stories were great, fresh!
ReplyDeleteMy only irrelevant complaint was, being an older dude, i really really really preferred FF as drawn by Kirby, Sinnott, John Buscema, and Buckler. I liked the big, bold look!
CH
This month's FF was Byrne's last issue. Although the next two use his plot for that storyline, he wasn't credited by name; iirc he left the title suddenly, over a dispute with Shooter about permission to work for DC on their planned Superman reboot.
ReplyDeleteWhile I liked Byrne's run in general, I have to say - sorry, dangermash - I found his callbacks to the Kirby/Lee excessive. The introduction of an actual Aunt Petunia in particular was annoying. Not everything needs to be filled in and explained like that!
And the FF needed to go forward with new ideas too...
Also, I disagree with Matthew about those last couple of Miller Daredevils.
The appearance of the Avengers in #232 was really only a cameo, which - like the JLA briefly turning up in Moore's first Swamp Thing arc - gives us context, explaining why the main character has a necessary place in his fictional universe.
And I love that last issue. It's the best one of the lot!
August 1986 was a pretty good month for Fearless Frank. Besides Daredevil #233 we also got Elektra: Assassin #1 and Dark Knight Returns #3...
-sean
*to the Kirby/Lee era
DeleteApologies for the result of poor editing there
Dudes - is there any chance Count Binface, made famius by SDC’s other Steve, AKA DANGERMASH, can win in Clacton on Thursday?
ReplyDeleteAnd wth does Binface wear on his head? A bread box? A small garbage can? An ash bucket one sees next to fireplaces?
Charlie and his missus are thinking ahead to Halloween.
Joe - I think it's some kind of reference to an old game show, entitled '3-2-1', which had a character called 'Dusty Bin' !
ReplyDeletehttps://www.imdb.com/title/tt0127369/mediaviewer/rm1727517954/?ref_=tt_ov_i
Incidentally, Caroline Munro was a hostess on '3-2-1' !
Phillip
Thanks Sean - I'd almost forgotten. This month is the 40th anniversary of my most exciting trip to Forbidden Planet ever.
ReplyDeleteAs SDC fans will know, I lived in The North during the 80s, and only ventured out to metropolitan comics shops once or twice a year. In this case I was down to visit family in the South and was now, at age 15, able to travel into London alone to do a bit of shopping.
So this trip to FP netted me: The Dark Knight 1-3.
3 had just come out, but 1 and 2 I had to buy at quite high prices, first print.
Elektra Assassin 1 & 2.
Three advance issues of Swamp Thing.
New Mutants 27, 28 and 29.
That was an amazing haul. I still dream about it.
Charlie, sadly Count Binface ( comedian John Harvey) or anyone else has any hope of beating Farage on Thursday -but if he did how amazing would that be!!!?
ReplyDeleteMcScotty! Hey - would you be able to provide some travel adviice? We are coming to Newcastle in May to see Deb’s aunt whom she has corresponded with but never met.
DeleteWe cant see spending a few weeks just visiting with her so am thinking of touring around. Got any ideas? If so, you can email SDC per his site and he can give you my email address. (i’m not sure I trust these other fellows here, lol, not to sign me up for every comic book blog on this planet Earth!)
Hi, I feel a bit of a luddite as I'm not sure how I email SDC directly, sorry. So I will jot a few ideas.
DeleteFirstly, Newcastle is a great city ( it's like a smaller Glasgow) folk are amazing and lots to do so you might find yourself staying there. However some areas near Newcastle .
On the North East coast.
Towns in Northumberland ( North of Newcastle)
Alnwick - very pretty town, nice shops with a castle
Bamburg - small town village, very English with a nice coast
Hexham - stunning market town, love it.
Scotland
Depends on how far you wish to travel but some parts of Scottish borders are around an hour for Newcastle
Eyemouth, very picturesque fishing village.
Other market towns with Abbeys, castles vets,etc
Kelso
Jedburgh
Hawick
Melrose
Peebles ( a fav of mine)
Galashiels
If you want a comic book related visit the St Abbs which was used as Asgard in the Avengers movies
Most of the about towns in Borders are close to each other
Edinburgh - about 2 hours from Newcastle , stunning city in sure your aware of it.
South of Newcastle
Durham City, lovely cathedral etc
West coast
The Lake District - one of the most beautiful areas anywhere ( like Scottish Highlands in miniature) beautiful towns like Windermere on Bowness, Ambleside and ,s, Grasmere.
Other areas, Haydrians Walk north of Newcastle in England, built by the Romans to keep the Scots /Picts and Northern English tribes t bay, it didn't work lol
Warnings, Edinburgh will be mobbed as it's the festival ( largest arts festival in the World) Lake District is always busy.
Well Steve’s got a link somewhere on here that describes his other webpages, his contact info, etc.
DeleteBut to make life easy, lol, it is Stevedoesthings@gmail.com
And thanks for this list! I may have a few specific questions for you so to spare the others the tedium, I figured I would just email.
For example, how does one get tix to a Newcastle soccer game?
Joe
Sent an email via Steve's Addy.
DeleteSean-
ReplyDeleteYou mentioned the JLA turning up in Moore's Swamp Thing.
I also thought that was brilliant. Moore somehow managed to make the Justice League a little spooky, and this was pre-Crisis, mind you.
What was it he called them? The "Over People"? Weird people with weird powers "in a house above the world."
Kinda scary, although not as scary as what followed in that series.
M.P.
M.P., I liked the line (quoting from memory) 'a man who's life is an endless gallery of statues'. That was the only time the Flash ever seemed even slightly interesting!
DeleteHave you not read that Daredevil 'Born Again' arc? You could just picture Miller reading Swamp Thing #21 for the first time, thinking 'oh, that would work with the Avengers...'
-sean
nice collection from the Uk for 1976
ReplyDeleteCharlie feels like a numbnut! He actually had the last 4 issues of ASM in a longbox and got them outbtp read them? Did he? Nope! Me missus stuck them
ReplyDeleteIn a box and put the box in a closet: out of sight, out of mind. Until yesterday!
My first thought of the ASM was the art immediately reminded me of those early E-man issues done by Joe Staton for Charlton in that the characters seemed to have no bodily muscular definition.
Charlie, I have three email addresses for you. So, I've forwarded McScotty's message to all three of them.
ReplyDeleteI got them!!! I was surprised i emailed from work. Well I retire on 12/31 so that address dies! They wont have Charlie to kick around anymore! Thanks Steve!!!
DeleteOk! slow SDC day! So let’s do “Florida Man” and find something stupid that happened recently in Florida!
ReplyDeleteHow about this? A few days ago, two men got into an altercation in a parking lot. So one came out of their car with a hatchet, and the other came out with a machete and they attacked each other. Florida fun!
Ok! slow SDC day! So let’s do “Florida Man” and find something stupid that happened recently in Florida!
ReplyDeleteHow about this? A few days ago, two men got into an altercation in a parking lot. So one came out of their car with a hatchet, and the other came out with a machete and they attacked each other. Florida fun!
Alas, the only book presented this week I've read is Fantastic Four. And as it was Byrne's final issue, it was also my final one for some years. Of course by that time I mostly only bought indies. It would be many years, but I would eventually return to the comics fold.
ReplyDeleteCharlie- congrats on the upcoming retirement! I heartily recommend it. The travelling sounds great...
Regarding "Florida Fun": sounds like a couple of cut-ups who weren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed.
I'll get my coat...
This King Boomer guy - it's Charlie, isn't it? Spooky how YouTube knows that I'm a regular SDC commentator and throws Charlie's videos into my feed. I'm going to take a close look through all my other recommendations, looking for other SDC regulars.
ReplyDeletehttps://youtu.be/7NBo2BX_dFI?is=wO9teDl_-7mwgqz4