Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon.
***
We all love a good film. And some of us love a bad film. But how many August 1986 releases fit into either of those categories?
Here's where we find out.
That month oversaw the unleashing of such joys as Flight of the Navigator, Friday the 13th Part VI, Howard the Duck, She's Gotta Have It, The Transformers, The Fly, Manhunter, Night of the Creeps, Stand by Me, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and Shanghai Surprise.
I'm going to put my critics hat on and suggest Manhunter may be the best of those.
But, then again, I've never seen Shanghai Surprise.
I have been wondering why Spidey's gone missing from his other books, this month.
And now I have my answer.
It turns out it's all down to this issue and his battle with Magma!
I'm going to assume our hero's blown up, presumed dead, at the end of this one.
I'm also going to assume he hasn't really been blown up and will be back.
I've no doubt maternal feelings are running high, as Alpha Flight take Snowbird to a place of power so she can deliver her baby.
Unfortunately, the spot they've chosen is the burial place of someone called Pestilence and, needless to say, the whole birth-giving thing revives him!
Issue #2 of Marvel's latest publishing sensation arrives when, in order to protect an experimental nerve gas sample hidden inside a pen, a retired spy lets Dakota's brother win the implement from him during a poker game.
I don't have a clue what's going on in this one but the GCD kindly informs me that things get tricky for the team when people start protesting outside their mutant-hunting headquarters.
And it all comes to a head when a pair of mutants call them out, meaning the gang must split their forces and adopt disguises, in order to hunt the duo while, at the same time, secretly helping them.
That all sounds too convoluted for my liking.
I liked it when everyone knew who the good guys were.
Speaking of moral ambiguity. All that red and that big gun can only mean one thing.
And that's that, despite having died ages ago, Elektra's back and in a tale I know little of, other than that it's delivered to us by Frank Miller and Bill Sienkiewicz.
Where Dagger is when all this is going on, I have no idea.
But it seems that this issue introduces us to a possessed drug-dealer called Ecstasy.
With villain names like that, you can tell we're entering the late 1980s.
I miss the days when you could stumble across something like Elektra Assassin with no prior clue it existed.
ReplyDeleteI saw The Fly but not til Easter 1987, thanks to crappy UK regional distribution.
I watched it again last year and it made me cry:
“She’s gotta have [what exactly]?”
ReplyDeleteI like MANHUNTER a lot, although I think the book (Thomas Harris’ RED DRAGON) is superior. MANHUNTER may be just a little too ‘cool’ for its own good (as in ‘emotionally distant’), but it’s very well made, suspenseful and stylish as hell. Plus, Brian Cox is my favorite Screen Dr. Lecter. I saw THE FLY at the cinema, liked it well enough I suppose, but never had the urge to re-visit it.
ReplyDeleteOf the comics, I liked DAKOTA NORTH (mostly for the art) and ELEKTRA ASSASSIN (ditto).
b.t.
Steve, I think Stand by me wasn't released in the UK until the following March. I remember the single hitting number one off the back of the Eddie Kidd Levi 501 ad (the one where he outsmarts the night club's bouncers' no jeans policy by wearing black 501s). The video for Stand by me featured River Phoenix and (Star Trek TNG's) Will Wheaton together with clips from the movie. I remember thinking the clips looked very similar to Stephen King's The Body, which I later realised was correct, as Stand by me adapts the novella. The single hit number 1 in January 1987, and I'm pretty sure the movie wasn't out at the time.
ReplyDeleteMatthew, I was aware of Elektra Assassin as Billy the Sink brought the art for the first couple of issues to the first UKCAC. He also charged for sketching, which caused quite a stir. I think Miller's script was edgy and experimental and the art was fantastic, but overall the comic was a slight let down for me. I think mostly because it wasn't as good as the Born Again issues. I certainly stayed with it across the whole series but, for me, it didn't quite reach its (admittedly very high) potential.
DW
I should add, I imaging stumbling across this with no prior knowledge, would have been a very nice surprise.
ReplyDeleteDW
DW, the song Stand By Me reached No.1 on February 17th 1987, my 21st birthday!
ReplyDeleteIt knocked George Michael & Aretha Franklin off the No.1 spot and George complained about being de-throned by a 26 year-old song but nowadays Last Christmas (currently a 42 year-old song) knocks new songs off the No.1 spot every December - oh, the irony!
I never knew of 'Manhunter', until 'Silence of the Lambs' went stratospheric, in the early 90s, then 'Manhunter' got repeated a lot, on TV. It was almost as if 'Silence of the Lambs' was the original movie, and 'Manhunter' the sequel, despite the reverse being true! I agree with b.t. that Cox's understated menace is more chilling that Hopkins' more OTT performance. Both films are good, nevertheless. 'Manhunter' more Miami Vice cinematography; 'Silence' more Star Trek TOS, with lots of extreme close ups of faces, etc. The number of serial killer movies spawned, as a result, in subsequent years (even decades), to capitalize on those films' success, is staggering (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery! ) Massive, 'event' movies, don't happen, anymore. 'Disclosure Day', & 'The Odyssey', got lots of publicity, but won't get massive box-office, the cinema costing at least £14 to watch them, I imagine!
ReplyDeletePhillip
I agree with b.t. about Brian Cox as Hannibal Lector, and Manhunter generally. Plus the soundtrack featured Shriekback, who I was quite enamoured with at the time -
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idyV3cnVOeM
So I'm going to go along with with you on it being the best of those films, Steve, even though I haven't seen Shanghai Surprise either. Or for that matter Howard the Duck!
However, as the sort of metropolitan elitist who dismisses George Lucas flicks without bothering to see them, perhaps inevitably my film of the month is actually Derek Jarman's Caravaggio. Which I was somewhat surprised you didn't mention in the post, as it marked the film debut of internationally famed son of Sheffield Sean Bean...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5RsX8nbR7k
-sean
I'll join the consensus on Manhunter, and I didn't see it until after Silence Of The Lambs came out, either.
ReplyDeleteI like both films equally - apples and oranges - but I think SOTL is better storytelling, the pacing of Manhunter gets a bit sluggish at times. There doesn't seem to be much forward momentum when it's supposedly a race against time.
Rather than Silence of the Lambs, wouldn't a better comparison for Manhunter be Red Dragon, which was based on the same book? Besides Brian Cox, I thought that guy from CSI was also better than Ed Norton.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand though, Red Dragon was directed by Brett Ratner, the master of the third in the trilogy. Ass demonstrated by X-Men: The Last Stand! Cineastes will also no doubt recall his work on modern classic Melania -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxXJAqOU00g
Phillip, while I basically agree on the price of cinema tickets, The Odyssey is actually doing quite well.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2026/aug/10/the-odyssey-becomes-christopher-nolans-highest-grossing-film-as-it-passes-11bn-at-box-office
-sean
*As demonstrated by X-Men: The Last Stand
DeleteThat was an unfortunate typo!
-sean
Hard to think of a more pointless film than Red Dragon. It existed solely to tick the box of Hopkins covering off all three books.
DeleteYou're not wrong about Red Dragon, Matthew. Hannibal was a bit far fetched and daft, but at least had its sheer Ridley Scott-ness to get by on (and I kinda liked Julianne Moore in place of Jodie Foster).
DeleteAlthough tbh I wasn't completely convinced by Silence of the Lambs in the first place. It got too carried away with the whole serial killer mystique for my taste.
-sean
Sean - Yes, I generalize my own reactions too much! Maybe young professionals are splashing the cash!
ReplyDeletePhillip
Not everyone is as careful with their money as a Yorkshireman, Phillip! (;
DeleteSeriously though, I don't think you made an unreasonable generalisation. But I reckon in the age of the £5+ pint people might well pay that much for cinema tickets.. so long as they can be reasonably sure a film will be worth seeing.
And like Spider-Man, Christopher Nolan seems to be considered a reliable 'brand'.
-sean
True story - probably about 39 years ago i am watching STAND BY ME with my French wife and her younger sister who was probably in her mid teens. Sis in law Beatrce really wanted to see that film! I guess it was popular n France, too, at that time.
ReplyDeleteThe movie’s gang of four are sitting in their treehouse and the one with glasses is reading a joke nook aloud. The joke goes like this. “How do you know when a French man has been at your house? When all your garbage cans are empty and your dogs are pregnant. “
Charlie start s laughing . Perhaps with too mch vgor. Immediately, my young sister-in-law asks for a translation. So we stopped the VCR and my wife explains in zee French.
Then both of them immediately give me the evil eye. The very evil eye. .The mood was definitely sour for several minutes! Could this have been a long term grievance leading to depression vorce 25 years later?
Joe
Wow! My Facebook feed for COUNT BINFACE Says a skywriter female and male took their airplane up and drew a big garbage bin in the sky above Clacton!!! Chapeau as they say in French!!!
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed for Binny! I love his plan to add 20,001 new policeman, instead of just 20,000 like his competition!
Charlie/Joe, Count Binface won't win but hopefully he'll do well enough to embarrass Nigel Farage.
ReplyDeleteYou informed us recently about Ella Langley's lengthy run at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 and I see that her song Choosin' Texas has now scored a 17th week at #1 but will she beat the 22-week run of Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas Is You? Not that it matters if she does because Mariah will add another few weeks to her total come December anyway. The same thing will probably happen eventually with Wham! in Britain when Last Christmas clocks up enough cumulative weeks at No.1 to take the longevity record.
COLIN! You got joe charlie (“JC”) thinkin!
ReplyDeleteMariah’s and Wham’s are aggregate weeks at #1 whereas Langleybis continuous. Which record would one prefer?
Given that the only thing old that still seems to resonate with younger folks, I’d got for the recurring aggregate total from xmas?!
Like others have mentioned here, I never heard of Langley until listening to the news a few weeks ago, and I think I have heard her number one song once or twice now that I am aware of it. And, it will soon enough be forgotten whereas That song “that seems to be about Christmas, but really isn’t” by WHAM will be in everybody’s head for generations to come, I assume.
And now that you mentioned it, I assume the big Gorillas iin the radio broadcasting world will start playing Christmas songs in about 10 weeks just prior to Halloween. As a year gone by already?.
Charlie, Ella Langley's Choosin' Texas sounds like the kind of bland country song we've heard a million times before but it's a work of genius according to the comments underneath the YouTube video so what do I know. I agree that Wham! and Mariah etc will be remembered well into the future because Christmas comes round every year. Who'd remember Bing Crosby or Slade nowadays if not for their Christmas songs?
ReplyDeleteI think you are spot on about Der Bingle (Crosby). I’m having trouble thinking of a single song he’s famous for besides white Christmas.
ReplyDeleteUnless I cannot comment about Slade. I think that’s a UK thing.
C’mon BINFACE! ’ JC is cheering for ya!
ReplyDeleteBing is surely most famous for his duet with Bowie ;-)
ReplyDeleteDW
Whilst there's 'Manhunter' / 'Silence Of The Lambs' talk going on, writer Thomas Harris has a place in my Charity Shop Hall Of Fame.
ReplyDeleteWhen I started looking in charity shops in the late 80s, you were guaranteed to find a copy of 'Jaws' in there - I sort of wish I'd picked up every variant. I even saw first edition hardcover predating the distinctive ascending shark motif. A couple of years later it was 'The Secret Diary Of Adrian Mole'.
Obviously, these are bestsellers that then get passed on. So by around 2003 there were thousands of copies of Thomas Harris' 'Hannibal' turning up. You'd see one in every single thrift store for a few years.
[then, weirdly as I didn't think it was that popular, 'Superman Returns' on DVD].
Now it's Bob Mortimer's novels [which are very funny, by the way].
Steve, Elektra: Assassin #1 was brilliant, and surely the comic of the month. Which was no mean feat given that Fearless Frank's DKR #3 and Daredevil #233, the latest Moore Swamp Thing, and the final part of Howard Victor Chaykin's Shadow mini-series also had an August '86 cover date.
ReplyDeleteThe only criticism I have of it is the cover. Those high heels, that big arse, and a tiny head...? Oh dear, Bill. So much for being a ground-breaking iconoclast, eh?
I remember a few issues in, my girlfriend at the time happened to notice my copy of #1, rolled her eyes, and made a pointed comment.
Now, the great thing about the mid '80s was that there were finally comics that you could give a reasonable grown-up person to try, without making yourself look like a moron. So in my defence, I suggested she try reading Elektra #1, and she liked it well enough to go on to the next couple of issues straight away...
But as she pointed out, that made the cover even worse! Why would someone put something so unrepresentative of the contents on the front of a comic?
Clearly she hadn't spent any time in comic shops!
Obviously the conventional wisdom was that putting a fetching young lady in a provocative pose not wearing much on a cover maximized sales... but I wonder if it actually did with an unconventional series Elektra: Assassin.
My recollection is that Elektra wasn't an immediate hit in the same way as comparable comics like DKR and Watchmen, and took longer to find it's audience.
-sean
Elektra is anatomically preposterous on that cover - her top half has become her top third!
ReplyDeleteDW, I forgot about Bing's duet with Bowie - the last song Bing ever recorded too.
JC, BIN FOR THE WIN! THE CAN NOT THE CON!
It’s Thursday! That means some folks in England are voting in Clacton, yes?
ReplyDeleteJC says: BIN FOR THE WIN. WE WANT THE CAN, NOT THE CON! (Thank you Colin.)
Btw if I am offending anyones sensibilities , I do apologize. I remember when my french brother in law voted for the Communist Party in the Auvergne as a protest vote in the 1990s. I was quite a bit aggravated and asked why not do a “Null vote”” then.
But the whole idea of a wise guy dressed up as a garbage can, not a catering cart, is great comedic relief right now.
On election day, tv coverage of political parties isn't allowed (voters might be swayed? ) Steve Does Comics, however, isn't bound by such constraints. "3-2-1 (imagine Ted Rogers twiddling his fingers, but ending with a one fingered gesture to Farage! ) for Count Binface, and against Nasty Nigel!"
ReplyDeletePhillip
None of us are offended, Charlie - we're all hoping Binface humiliates the corrupt Farage.
ReplyDelete