Pages

Sunday, 6 September 2026

The Marvel Lucky Bag - September 1976.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

A wise man - or, possibly, woman - once said, "Hooray for Hollywood!" and who am I to argue?

But not all films are made in Hollywood.

Then again, I suspect that all the films listed below were.

Regardless, September 1976 saw the unleashing of the following feature-length theatre-packers into the cinemas of the world. Bugsy Malone, The Front, Mad Dog Morgan, Vigilante Force, High Velocity and Norman... Is That You?

I can honestly say I've only ever heard of one of those movies, and I think you can guess which one it is. However, despite having heard of it and being able to hum the odd song from it, I've never actually seen it. I shall, therefore, have to forego my usual task of nominating a Steve Does Comics Movie of the Month.

You, however, may have your own thoughts as to which are triumph and which are tripe.

Nova #1

Marvel's big news, this month, is the arrival of a brand new hero. One like no other. Albeit one with certain alleged spiritual similarities to the likes of Spider-Man.

And it all happens when the injured Centurion Nova-Prime chooses a successor. And that successor is high schooler Richard Rider.

But, with great power comes great responsibility and, so, our hero then has to battle Nova-Prime's greatest foe, the dreaded Zorr!

Marvel Treasury Special Featuring Captain America's Bicentennial Battles #1

As I'm sure we've all noticed, it's the United States' 200th birthday.

And who better to celebrate that than the man who literally wraps himself in its flag every day?

Gasp as, upon meeting the mystic Mister Buda, our hero finds himself sent back to World War II!

Thrill as he becomes Betsy Ross's inspiration for the American flag!

Shudder as he assures Geronimo of the American brotherhood to come!

Tremble as he finds himself in a World War I dogfight, boxes with John Sullivan, helps a fugitive slave, witnesses the first atom bomb test, helps victims of the Chicago fire, visits an undersea lab, finds himself in the middle of a war on the moon and then discovers just what the truth is at the heart of America!

Tomb of Dracula #48

The lord of the vampires' UK mag may have died an undeath but its US counterpart refuses to shake off this mortal coil.

Unlike one of Dracula's victims who comes to him, seeking death.

The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #10

The world convulses with horror, as a new super-fiend appears in a bid to make all our lives - and especially Spider-Man's - worse.

I remember little of this tale but I do have a feeling the menace is created by the same process that created the Scorpion and that Dr Harlan Stillwell's involved.

It has always struck me as odd that we're expected to think that a man with the powers of a fly is a threat to a man with the powers of a spider. Isn't that rather like pitting a villain called the Antelope against a hero called the Lion?

Marvel Treasury Edition #9

We all love a good Treasury Edition and Giant Superhero Team-up gives us what we can all hope will be just that.

In our first tale, the Thing and Sub-Mariner battle it out for possession of the evil Serpent Crown, on the streets of New York. I'm not totally sure that qualifies as a team-up.

In our second tale, Daredevil's exposed to radiation, goes mad and takes it out on Captain America in a charity boxing match. That doesn't really sound like a team-up either.

In our third tale, when rival fan clubs discuss who's the stronger, Thor or the Hulk, the thunder god drops in to relate the story of the pair's epic clash in the pages of Avengers #3!

And, in our fourth tale, Laufey, King of the Giants, is killed in battle with Asgard, leading to his newborn son Loki being adopted by Odin.

Come to think of it, none of these stories involves a superhero team-up.

Talk about false advertising.

The Invaders #8, Union Jack

Union Jack gets centre stage on this month's cover!

Other than that, I'm struggling to say what happens in this one but I'm sure it'll all connect, somehow, with the presence of Baron Blood and his vampiric antics.

The Eternals #3

And I'm struggling to recall most of what happens in this one too. I am, though, aware that Sersi makes her debut in a yarn titled The Devil in New York.

From that title, I'm going to assume it involves the Deviants attacking New York City, and our heroes having to take action against them.

Conan Annual #2

Everyone's favourite barbarian gets his second annual in 10,000 years and, in it, we encounter Marvel's adaptation of The Phoenix on the Sword, as brought to us by Roy Thomas and Vicente Alcázar.

Amazing Adventures #38, Killraven

The penultimate issue of Amazing Adventures brings us Keith Giffen and Bill Mantlo's contrivance for introducing a whole host of Marvel's most popular heroes into the strip without breaking continuity when Killraven enters an automated museum and becomes involved in the dreams of the man trapped in there.

42 comments:

  1. Maybe that Human Fly & the later red-costumed Human Fly could battle for the name "Human Fly". You know, like Josten & Luke Cage, battling for the name "Power Man".

    That Nova cover I always conflate with August 1979's Spider-man Comic # 328's cover, although they are, in fact, different. Incidentally, the latter being one of the Marvel Revolution's best single issues of a weekly ( Wonder-man knocked Namor unconscious, for a start! )

    I've got that Killraven somewhere in the garage!

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that Human Fly should also have a right with old Archie Comics superhero The Fly over who gets to wear a green and yellow costume, Phillip.
    There does seem to be a similarity there... Are they by any chance related?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fly_%28Archie_Comics%29

    Of course the dodgiest costume here is on the cover of the Invaders. Union Jack looks suspiciously like the type to have been at the front of those morons on the march through Dover yesterday.

    -sean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Maybe that Human Fly should also have a FIGHT with old Archie Comics superhero The Fly...
      Duh. Apologies for the typo.

      -sean

      Delete
  3. My younger brother was watching BUGSY MALONE on cable once so I saw snippets of it as I walked past the living room to the kitchen and back to my room. Starring tweenagers Jodie Foster and Scott “Chachi” Baio, Songs by Paul Williams, directed by Alan Parker who later made a dreary and depressing movie adaptation of Pink Floyd’s THE WALL. The big climax had two warring gangs of kids dressed like Depression-Era mobsters having a shoot out with these weird weapons that fired gobs and gobs of whipped cream. I was like, “Huh. That’s something”. Afterwards I never had the urge to watch the whole thing from the beginning.

    b.t.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had every one of these comics back in the Long Ago. CAP’S BICENTENNIAL BATTLES is probably the best of them and the SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL probably the worst. I agree that the GIANT SUPERHERO TEAM-UP Treasury is clearly mis-named — GIANT SUPERHERO SMASH-UP would be more like it. Either way, it’s a pretty damn good package — 84 ginormous pages of Superdudes pounding the snot out of each other, drawn by Jack Kirby, Gene Colan and Big John Buscema (twice!). I mean, there’s not a bad page of art in that thing.

    I know I’ve read ETERNALS 3 all the way thru, several times over the past half-century but honestly, I couldn’t tell you what happens in it.

    I quite like the Union Jack / Baron Blood two-parter, it’s one of Rascally Roy’s better Invaders mini-sagas. Sorry UJ’s outfit triggered you, sean.

    The Alcázar / Montano art in the CONAN ANNUAL isn’t bad, but I would have preferred to see it inked by Alcázar himself.

    I bought the first five issues or so of NOVA but I just never got into it. Warmed-over Spider-man and Green Lantern tropes, bland costume design, dull lead character. Wolfman tried really hard to put a spin on the Peter Parker / Spidey situation but he forgot to make his protagonist interesting in any way. Richard Rider isn’t a Jock and he’s not a Nerd/Brainiac, which is actually pretty realistic, come to think of it. Actually, he’s kinda like I was at that age, do you’d think I’d find him very relatable — but I couldnt care less. And Teenage Me would have been an incredibly dull protagonist in a Superhero comic too.

    b.t.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That should be “SO you’d think etc”, not “DO you think…”

    I had no idea about that scary protest march in Dover. None of the news sites that I check out regularly had anything about it. ZIP. Plenty of stuff about What’s-his-name’s vanity construction projects, though, and Mitch McConnell still being MIA, and pundits speculating about the Dems snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the midterms, and Stephen Colbert’s team winning a few Emmys and oh, That Guy is apparently wearing a new wig. You know, the really important stuff.

    b.t.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Domestic events in the US tend to affect the rest of the world, b.t., but the reverse isn't the case so there's no particular reason for you to have known about the Dover thing. I should maybe have been clearer what I was going on about.

    Anyway, completely agree on Bicentennial Battles - Kirby's hallucinatory trip through 200 years of American history, taking on slavery, massacres of indigenous people, and Busby Berkeley dance routines - being the best comic here.
    No Kings! Except Jack Kirby of course.

    My other Marvel fave of the month - Dr Strange #18 - hasn't made Steve's cut. But it has a fair bit in common with Bicentennial Battles, including the appearance of Ben Franklin as a character. Or at least it did until the following month, when the promising 'New Atlantis' storyline was retconned - and ruined - by new series writer Marv Wolfman. Actually, it was worse than that, as he rewrote pretty much everything that made Englehart's Doc the best Marvel run of the 70s.
    Yet more of the fallout from Gerry Conway's few weeks as Editor-in-Chief...

    Disappointment of the month: Amazing Adventures #38. A Bill Mantlo fill-in - 'nuff said. And iirc the September Jungle Action was a Dreaded Deadline Doom reprint.
    The writing seemed to be on the wall for Dauntless Don McGregor at the House of Ideas this month. He did at least get to write Luke Cage. But it was his last issue. And from a Marv Wolfman plot.

    -sean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RE: "No Kings"

      The "No Kings movement" is --- like the "MAGA movement" or the "Black Lives Movement" and other phony grassroot "movements" --- a US regime-controlled operation to either control the opposition via such hope porn movements or divert them into establishment-safe outlets (such as gender/race wars) IN ORDER TO PREVENT A MASS REVOLUTION AGAINST the totally criminal ENTIRE US REGIME which is, AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN, run by PSYCHOPATHIC KINGS (not just Trump)!

      The bogus 'no kings' movement wants you to think once Trump is gone everything's alright AS IF IT'S ONLY A TRUMP ISSUE. It's the same child-like mentality and stupidity of millions of people who "think" and hang on to the fake hope or fantasy that once their democrat/republican candidate is in office things will be fundamentally better again!

      ANY criminal beta psychopath who has ALWAYS ended up and ends up in high office is merely always a lower-ranked willfully participating puppet or agent serving the true pack of alpha psychopaths behind the scenes. Removing the public-facing immoral criminals has never solved anything vital at all, and never will.

      By FAR the most vital urgent and DEEP understanding everyone needs to gain is that a mafia network of manipulating PSYCHOPATHS (psychopathic KINGS) is, and always has been, governing big businesses and institutions (eg official medicine, big academia, big tech, big banks, big religions), governments and the world -- the evidence is very solid in front of everyone's "awake" nose: https://www.rolf-hefti.com/covid-19-coronavirus.html

      "We’ll sit on the edge of our seats watching made-up tales about psychopathic killers while psychopathic killers rule the world." --- Caitlin Johnstone, Independent Journalist

      "America is the greatest exporter of violence the world has ever known. So wear your patriotism on your sleeve and be proud. You are a depraved citizen of the world’s worst killer nation." --- Paul Craig Roberts, Ph.D., American economist & former US empire official, in 2015 [https://archive.ph/liVj5]

      "“No Kings” isn’t anti-war, it’s just anti-Trump." --- Unknown

      How can the masses get out of this whole mess (and create justice, freedom and peace for all)? First, EVERYONE needs to learn, and teach others, what TRUE morality is ---99% of people don't know what it is because (1) it's NOT taught in the official indoctrination system, better know as the "education system," and (2) it's NOT the same as religious morality: https://odysee.com/@woeih:e/Mark-Passio-Government-Is-Slavery:a

      "The solution is NOT to create something new (eg, new systems of organization, new technologies, etc). The solution is to STOP being complicit with evil. To STOP doing things that are not moral for a reward. To STOP being complicit with anything the control system tells us we must do." --- Mark Passio, Spiritual Teacher, in 2023

      "Every time people accept a new restriction —mask mandates, digital IDs, cashless payments— they reinforce the system and normalize control. Authorities rely on social pressure and fear of consequences to drive compliance. Most individuals don't want conflict, so they follow rules even when they disagree. THIS SILENT MAJORITY ENABLES A SMALL ELITE TO CONTROL BILLIONS. Without MASS OBEDIENCE, digital IDs ... and surveillance grids cannot be enforced at scale. The system thrives not just on active co-operation, but on PASSIVE ACCEPTANCE —shrugging off restrictions as inevitable or 'for the greater good'. NON-COMPLIANCE —whether through using cash, rejecting digital IDs, or resisting propaganda— denies elites THE PARTICIPATION THEY NEED to legitimize their agendas. Ultimately, compliance is the lifeblood of control; RESISTANCE, EVEN IN SMALL ACTS, IS THE ANTIDOTE." --- AI Chat bot in 2025 (https://archive.ph/Wdzsg)

      Delete
    2. Anon, here's a tip for you: if you want to be taken seriously on anarchism - or whatever it is you think you're going on about - it's probably best not to quote from 'spiritual teachers' (eh?) and AI chatbots.

      -sean

      Delete
  7. I had Invaders, Dracula, Eternals , Nova and Amazing Adventures from the above list. The Amazing Adventures tale was as Sean noted a fill in for a missed deadline but it had some nice Keith Giffen art - iirc this was the penultimate issue in the series which was one of my favourites at the time.

    My favourite comic here was Invaders with some great Frank Robbins art ( I can hear the groans from here)..

    ReplyDelete
  8. bt, that protest march in Dover wasn't "scary" and it wasn't even mentioned on the BBC radio news that I was listening to later in the day. Just a bunch of racist morons making a nuisance of themselves yet again.

    The monster that King Conan is fighting on the cover of the Conan annual looks rather like a werewolf but in REH's original story "The Phoenix On The Sword" the monster is described as a cross between a baboon and a mummy!

    Some UK readers might recall that Nova was the back-up strip in Marvel UK's Rampage weekly with The Defenders as the main strip.

    FUN FACT: Rampage No.1 went on sale on Wednesday, October 12th 1977 - my father's 50th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colin, the Dover and the Portsmouth issues were shown extensively on the BBC TV news channel. Personally I find this stuff, by the extreme right wing very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Invaders - Fr@nk R@bbins art made the Invaders. I always felt Boy Toy Roy’s All Star Squadron needed a quirky WW2 artist like an FR to make it feel legit.

    Nova - yet another comic i bought 50! years ago as an investment (wth???). Filed next to the Dingbats in my long box entitled “comics that never made me rich” though Nova did have a small run up in value IIRC initially. I too found it dull.

    I too was bemused by THE FLY wondering if it was related to Archie’s. I have no idea what happened to Archie’s portfolio of superheroes (how many were there?). Though IIRC there may have been some sort of relaunch 10 - 20 years ago? But even Archie seems dead now. Very few issues being published.

    Cheers. Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, on BBC TV news, the black-clad mob was last night's lead story. The south coast's balaclava sellers must be laughing all the way to the bank.

    I read Nova, in Rampage.
    ( Also, Nova battled Photon, alongside Spidey, in Super Spider-man Weekly.) I liked the character a lot, in the three Rampages I read, as a kid. Nova was a composite hero, blending Spidey (teen angst), Iron Man (battle-suit/armour), and Captain Marvel (space angle). Created for Nova's comic, the Sphinx was a great villain/antagonist, too, even prior to the FF (Spinx vs Galactus. ) And villains define our heroes, in many stories. Later, reading all Nova's tales in Essentials, some slip ups definitely happened with the character. But all superheroes suffer, viewed later, through adult eyes.

    Regarding the Invaders, to me, that story was good, but not the art. Nevertheless, our colleagues preferences must be respected! Either way, that issue set the stage for John Byrne's later 'Blood on the Moors' - an absolutely outstanding Baron Blood finale, in which Cap must take drastic action to finish the Baron for good! A great story, better read in black & white (more atmospheric that way, with Rubinstein's inks) than colour!

    Not having bought a jacket in years, I ordered an Amazon one, from a Chinese company (the first clothing I've ever ordered on-line.) To play it safe, I ordered 'extra large' (being 6ft 1in, I consider myself 'large', at best, not extra large! ) Arriving today, the jacket's sleeves are two inches too short! Plus, fastening the jacket, it's a very tight fit! Being a cheap-skate has its consequences!

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
  12. colleagues' preferences - Typo City, Arizona!

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
  13. Late summer of '76; the Annuals still popping up on the local spinner racks. Like most of you, I had many of the featured comics; however none really grabbed me that much. I'd agree with b.t. that the Spider-Man Spider-Man annual was the weakest offering. Even at the time of first reading, I found it unremarkable and basically a rehashed Scorpion tale. At least it had some Gil Kane artwork.
    Also agreeing with those of you who weren't all that impressed with Nova. Basically forgettable; Richard Ryder was no Peter Parker (but then, who is?). Bought a few issues and dropped it with no regrets.
    Wish I had a copy of "Bicentennial Battles"; don't recall much about it other than at the time, I was again left feeling uninspired. Perhaps it would read better now...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Charlie, I'm a big fan of the old Archie/MLJ heroes and there are loads of them ( the originated from the golden age of comics). The Archie/MLJ superheros still pop up in Archie comics mostly as humour versions from time to time. They licensed some of the characters to DC (Impact comics) a few years ago etc. And also published them in grittier tales under the Archie Dark Circle comics imprint a few years ago

    ReplyDelete
  15. Phillip and Paul, perhaps Radio 4 news is less sensationalist that BBC TV news!

    Phillip, buying anything online from a Chinese company is just asking for trouble I'm afraid! Radio 4's consumer programme YOU AND YOURS has previously reported similar cases of people getting conned when ordering stuff online from Chinese firms.

    Happy birthday for Wednesday, Phillip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, in advance, Colin!

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
  17. McS / PAUL, I totally forgot about the MLJ Golden Age heroes! One of my favorites in my collection is BLACK HOOD 16 from 1945! Grabbed it at a local comic show around 1990 for like $10? And though I anticipate thinning out 2/3 of my collection (4 of 6 long boxes) when I retire in January, this one is a keeper!

    To paraphrase Charlie Heston, “They”ll have to pry it from my cold fingers!”

    And Charlie intends to attend DuPage County Comic Con this Saturday in the county I live in. They promise to have comic books on offer, a rarity for shows these days!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Charlie- be sure to let us know what goodies you find at that con!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red - you are welcome to come up and overnight! Maybe we can even get Mike and Doug??? Like ole times!

      Delete
  19. sean:
    Yes, DR. STRANGE 18 was wild. I have to admit that the scene where Clea and Ben Franklin are clearly moments away from Getting It On bothered me when I was a kid, as did the last page of the story when Doc Strange realizes he’s been cuckolded. But even so, I was very curious to see where Sturdy Steve was going with that storyline in the next issue, and was bemused when Marv basically just Etch-A-Sketched it away — “Nope nope nope, there was no off-stage coitus in the previous issue, it never happened, it was all just an illusion”. Oh well.

    b.t.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my stars - i never ever ever thought I would read the words coitus and cuck in this column. Not that I think we should all start musing on those subjects lol! But it makes me wonder yet again if comics should have remained for 12 year olds and Conway, Romita, et al. who seemed hell bent on mucking with our young minds been obliged to create their own universe at Marvel with their own characters. CH

    ReplyDelete
  21. Charlie, I have a few of the MLJ comics from the early 1960s that I plan to keep as well. A word of warning, I have been trying to thin my collection out for at least 3 years and although I am moving on a good number of comics I keep running into comic/charity shops that are selling of large collections of 1960s to 1970s US and UK comics. Sadly , a few of these are being sold off as the owner ( in their 60s I assume) has passed away.I always wonder if that guy was standing next to me as a kid buying his comics .

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cheerful thoughts there, Paul...

    Anyway, just for you and Charlie, here's a link to the cover of The Fly #1 (from 1983)... by Jaunty Jim Steranko!

    https://www.comics.org/issue/37358/cover/4/

    Now that's how you do a cover bait and switch! Iirc it was a pretty pisspoor comic inside.

    Thinking about it, the weird thing about Amazing Adventures #38 is that they didn't use more obviously popular Marvel characters on the cover. Spidey and the Hulk would seem to have been the obvious choices for a sales boost back then.

    -sean

    ReplyDelete
  23. SEAN - now that’s the Steranko we know and love!!!

    Why in the world didn’t he do that 10 or so years earlier with those couple of issues he did for Marvel like around fantastic four number 130?

    Granted, though, that FLY cover does remind me of the Steranco cover for Nick Fury with his gun floating in space with the moon blowing up in the background. Maybe Steranko used up all his good ideas around 1969 or 70 with Marvel Like on those Captain America and Nick fury covers?

    ReplyDelete
  24. MCSCOTTY!

    so, Charlie probably visited the spinner rack at the local grocery and then news agency stores well over 1000 times. And truly, I vaguely recall maybe seeing someone other than me buying a comic book once or perhaps twice in that 10 year period.

    And how could i NOT recall? There has to be a bit of communication going on because someone decides to spin the rack or not, lol.

    In fact, I saw just as many women buying soft porno (Playboy, Oui…) at the news agency as I ever saw kids buying comic books in my lifetime in those two stores.

    Never saw an adult male buying adult stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  25. UK gents! What exactly is your idea of a “charity shop? “. we have resale shops here in the United States, notably for the Goodwill, which is nationwide and various battered women shelters and such. But there’s no way in hell someone’s going to take a comic book collection to that type of institution because it would strictly be a donation and they would receive no money for it. So I have to assume your charity shop is something different?

    ReplyDelete
  26. MCSCOTTY- I did try to sell off part of my collection after the divorce in 1920 and 21. I didn’t get beans for the various X-Men’s between say issue 110 and 150 which shocked me since they had been read once and put in a bag.

    Yet, I keep reading so-called market reports saying that the Covid years the price of back issues doubled and tripled, which was not my experience on eBay, lol. I couldn’t give sell them so I had to sell them in five lots and 10 lots to even get like $50.

    Supposedly, the value of Golden Age back issues had plummeted over the last few years.

    I will see in a few months!

    jOe

    ReplyDelete
  27. A UK charity shop doesn't pay for contributions so like the USA all items given are simple donations. I assumed that the comics I found were donated by a person who had no idea of their worth, but sometimes folk donated items that they know are worth money if for example their loved one passed away or was treated for cancer and they donate to Cancer Research shops etc. In general I only found small numbers of comics in charity shops , mostly 1970s UK and US comics priced to sell. Comic specialist shops will pay of course.

    Sean, I have that issue of the Fly ( and issue 2) with Steranko covers. The interior art was buy James Sherman and Rich Buckler and issue 2 was by Ditko. Both not their best work.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Other famous Charlton Heston quotes:

    "Get your hands off me, you damned, dirty ape!"

    "You did it - you really did it! Damn you all to Hell!"

    ( I'm a bit hazy about the 2nd one - it's Lady Liberty sticking up out of the sand! )

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then there's "Let my people go!!!
      ....and "Soylent Green is people!!! We're eating people!!!"
      He was a people person, Charlton was.
      M.P.

      Delete
  29. My favourite Heston quote was "In Hollywood there are more gun owners in the closet than homosexuals"

    ReplyDelete
  30. Paul and Charlie Joe (and sean too) :

    I happen to LOVE James Sherman’s art in THE FLY #1! He dabbled in comics for a short time (most notably on LEGION OF SUPERHEROES, where he got some nice, complementary inking from Bob McLeod and Joe Rubinstein, and unfortunately some not so good inks from Jack Abel in his full-on Human Sandblaster Mode), then apparently found better-paying work outside of Comics, and vanished. He would occasionally pop up unexpectedly for an issue or two here and there and then BAMF!, he’d disappear again.

    Anyhow, I think his one issue of The Fly is the peak of his Comics career, really freaking’ good and quite probably the best interior art of that particular Red Circle / Archie Heroes Revival. Okay, maybe Third Best, after those two Fox stories by Toth.

    b.t.

    ReplyDelete
  31. b.t. I was a big fan of James Sherman's work and I still have all his Legion comics - his splash pages to issue 241 is still one of my all time favourites. Based on your comments on his art for the Fly I will need to check my copy again as I recall thinking it's good art, but not his best. I think my favourite Sherman art was an issue of Deadly Hands of Kung Fu. I will have to revisit Shermans art out and add it to my blog.

    Couldn't agree more regarding Toths excellent Fox art

    ReplyDelete
  32. Charlton Heston also claimed he'd shrunk by two inches over his lifetime - from 6ft 3in to 6ft 1in.

    Taylor must have been really thick to not suspect he was on Earth all along - the fact that the apes were all speaking English was a dead giveaway for a start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin-
      Yeah, but to wake up one day and find out apes are running everything, I don't....oh. Yeah.
      I guess I know what that's like.
      M.P.

      Delete
  33. A few last minute “September ‘76” stragglers :

    SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN 14 —with Neal Adams’ adaptation of “Shadows in Zamboula” (but not really). Rascally Roy got tired of waiting for Adams to finish it and sent it off to the Philippines, where DeZuniga and his pals made it look like a typical “Inks by The Tribe” job. It’s solidly professional but it kinda hurts to look at, knowing what it COULD have looked like. I’m sure Paul feels my pain :)

    EERIE 77 has a fun Time Travel adventure by Bruce Jones and Richard Corben, and a somewhat mediocre Space Opera story with art by Carmine Infantino, one of his first pencilling gigs after being fired at DC. I remember thinking at the time, “This doesn’t look at all like those slick Adam Strange stories” but I appreciate Infantino’s later period stuff more these days.

    TARZAN FAMILY 65 — my first exposure to Kaluta’s brilliant Carson of Venus strip. Which reminds me that I bought that issue the same day I bought FICTION ILLUSTRATED 3, featuring Steranko’s gorgeous “Red Tide”. Honestly, I think the story is merely an adequate pastiche that gets the job done, but Holy F-balls, that art is out of this world.

    b.t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Idk b.t.... Much as I liked Neal Adams' work from when he was at his peak, taking all the time he needed to finish 'Shadows in Zamboula' as he saw fit still wouldn't be enough to get me interested in one of the more dodgy Conan stories.

      -sean

      Delete
  34. When James Sherman's name popped up, in an X-Men issue, I thought: "I've never read that artist's name, in Marvel before. Is he a refugee from DC?" To me, the issue was okay, but not Byrne standard.

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete