Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon.
***
It is time, once more, for me to cast a beady eye across the cinemas of the world, in order to ascertain just what was filling them exactly forty years ago.
And what was filling them was Restless Natives, Blue Velvet, The Name of the Rose, Crocodile Dundee, Half Moon Street, Avenging Force and 'night, Mother.
Of those, I've only seen Blue Velvet, The Name of the Rose and Crocodile Dundee. I'm going to assume The Name of the Rose was the best, although it's so long since I saw it that I can't remember if it was any good or not.
A brand-new graphic novel hits our lives - and our newsagents - when J. M. DeMatteis and Dan Green bring us a story so awesome that it can only be described by two words: Into Shamballa.
Granted, I don't know what actually happens in it but I do know that it's 62 pages long and features first appearances for someone called Maya and someone called the Lords of Shamballa!
We've reached the last-ever issue of Marvel's Star Wars comic?
What can be the explanation for such a cancellation?
Have the people of the world grown tired of the Wars that are Starred?
I have no idea but I do know the Alliance wages its last battle against the Tofs and that it's brought to us by Jo Duffy and Cynthia Martin.
All I can say is it sounds like a life-changing experience.
The backup tale, meanwhile, is a thing called You're Lying, Peter Parker! A tale of which I know nothing.
You can never have enough X-Men comics in your life.
And - just to prove it - a new one has appeared.
But it's one that's got me confused. It appears to relate the tale of how the New X-Men were formed when the old ones were captured by Krakoa the Living Island, forcing Professor X to recruit a new team to rescue them.
However, it seems not to be a reprint; drawn, as it is, by John Bolton but with contributions from Dave Cockrum.
It all sounds a rum thing to me, and that's for sure.
At least there doesn't seem to be any mystery about where Peter Parker is because, in this one, he tells Mary Jane just how he got back from Appalachia.
But that's the end of his good news because he's later pushed in front of a subway train by an assailant who shall later be revealed to be Venom!
It's not just Star Wars that's about to shake off this mortal coil. Howard the Duck's mag has also hit its final issue.
And it does so with a 30-page epic in which we get to discover just how its star won $10 million and then blew the lot.
I understand (without googling) that Classic X-Men included both old reprints and "Untold Stories Of…" type stuff that filled in gaps between those old stories. With those stories almost certainly including lots of Wolverine & Jean Grey character development.
ReplyDeleteCorrectamundo, dangermash. Classic X-Men reprinted the All-New, All-Different X-Men stories in sequence - with the occasional revisionist alteration to tighten up series continuity - together with new (contemporaneous) back-ups by Claremont and John Bolton.
DeleteGenerally the focus of the new story was characterisation; so for instance in #1 its set in the X mansion after the defeat of Krakoa but before most of the old team leave, and mainly involves Wolverine coming on to Jean Grey. It's uncanny - how on earth did you guess that, dm?
-sean
Vague recollections from some official X-Men Index somewhere.
DeleteTbh dangermash, my question was more of a smart arse dig at the way Chris Claremont wrote the X-Men than anything.
DeleteWhich was a bit unfair really, as he was actually one of the better writers back in the day. I mean, if you read GS X-Men #1 and X-Men #94 now, they weren't a promising set-up for a series, even by the standard of the mid 70s... Yet with John Byrne he did turn it into one of the better Marvel comics of that era.
No, I can't quite believe I'm rating Claremont either.
-sean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnyh6i9NvmE
ReplyDeletePhillip
Inspired by STEVE’s post (please see above) I think we should start a list of comic characters who fell into swamps, ponds, (toxic or otherwise) or were otherwise immersed in chemicals:
ReplyDeleteBARON EMMELMAN - shot down over a Polish swamp becomes THE HEAP!
LUCAS CAGE- immersed in a bath of chemicals for a medical trial, while in prison, becomes LUKE CAGE HERO FOR HIRE!
Your turn! Joe
Kraven's alien pet Gog drowns in quicksand in ASM #104, one of Gil Kane's immortal up-the-nose issues. But then they bring him back in the 90s in No Adjective Spider-Man as part of the Sinister Six.
DeleteAnd then there’s Dragon Man. Is he drowned in a pond in his first appearance? And then reemerges in an FF issue in the 30s. The issue set in some Uni open day that finishes with Reed popping the question.
My examples are already demonstrating running themes of monsters drowning than getting retconned as surviving. And not picking up superpowers, so probably not what you were after.
DM - there are no rules! This is SDC! But i suppose STEVE could reintroduce the famous STEVE DOES POLES and we could vote on it? (It’s been a few years since we’ve seen one of those IIRC?)
DeleteJoe
And by the way, those two Spideys 103-104 are my all-time, joe loves comics, gil kane covers, esp. 104 with Kraven!
ReplyDeleteI remember thinking that DAREDEVIL graphic novel was nice to look at , but can recall eff-all about the story. It’s entirely possible I never actually read it, just flipped thru the pretty pages. I’m not sure I even own a copy of it anymore , I have a vague memory of chucking it during a Down-sizing Cull.
ReplyDeleteb.t.
Yeah, b.t., I recall expecting something better from Miller and Sienkiewicz.
DeleteAs I mentioned when that Daredevil graphic novel appeared in this feature before, back in January...
Steve, I suppose it wasn't a surprise to see the return of Howard the Duck in 1986, what with a certain George Lucas flick on release.
But maybe it was a bit odd Marvel put out a #33 - and #32 earlier in the year - so long after #31 in (I think) 1979? The mid 80s seems fairly late for them to be doing the old skool continued numbering thing, rather than putting out a one shot (or two issue mini-series) with a new #1.
Perhaps the most unexpected thing about Howard #33 though was the Brian Bolland cover.
-sean
Joe - the Midnight Man, in Moon knight, had his face "burned to a grotesque mask, by the filthy waste of the city":
ReplyDeletehttps://www.looper.com/476436/the-untold-truth-of-the-marvel-universes-midnight-man/
In Batman's Marshall Rogers arc, Doctor Phosphorus suffered a similar fate, but not just to his face!
Phillip
PHILLIP- that sounds positively ghastly!!!
DeleteROARRRRR - go the Hull City Tigers!!!
ReplyDelete