Pages

Thursday, 13 August 2026

August 11th, 1976 - Marvel UK, 50 years ago this week.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

It seems like I can't stop talking about Mars, of late.

And that may be because we've reached the 50th anniversary of the week in which Viking 2 entered orbit around the Red Planet.

Back on Earth, the Great Clock of Westminster - often erroneously referred to as Big Ben - suffered internal damage that would cause it to stop running for over nine months!

Also not running - mostly because he'd been caught - was John Stonehouse who, I'm sure you're aware, was the last person to serve as Britain's Postmaster General. More to the point, this was the week in which he was sentenced to seven years in jail for fraud.

And the charts?

Number One on the UK's singles listings was, as previously, Don't Go Breaking My Heart by Elton John and Kiki Dee. While the Beach Boys' 20 Golden Greats retained its position atop the accompanying LP rankings.

Don't Go Breaking My Heart is an amiable enough song but there were other tracks I approved of on that week's Hit Parade.

Among them being:

You Should Be Dancing - the Bee Gees

Back in the USSR - the Beatles

You're My Best Friend - Queen

The Boston Tea Party - the Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Leader of the Pack {1976} - the Shangri-Las

and

Good Vibrations {1976} - the Beach Boys.

Should you wish to investigate, you can encounter that singles chart here.

While its parallel album chart dwells within.

Marvel UK, The Titans #43, The Fantastic Four vs everyone

Hooray! It's that one in which the Fantastic Four come up against robot duplicates of all their greatest foes - and of the Mole Man!

To be honest, despite being a non-stop cavalcade of action intended to celebrate the gang's 100th issue, it's not a great tale, as the robots can't fight their way out of a carrier bag and the Mad Thinker and Red Ghost - who are behind it all - somehow manage to blow themselves up!

I suspect the Sub-Mariner tale is the one in which he and the Thing tussle over the Serpent Crown while Betty Dean shows up and bemoans the fact that she's now the horrifically old age of, erm, fortyish.

Not only do we get that mighty drama but Nick Fury's trapped by Hydra when he investigates their boss.

Having been rescued from Hell by the Son of Satan, the Ghost Rider gains a temporary motorbike made from Hellfire but has the problem that, when he reverts to Johnny Blaze, at daybreak, the injuries he's acquired, of late, are likely to kill him.

And Captain America tries to stop the Red Skull's Fourth Sleeper robot as it rampages around America! 

Marvel UK, Planet of the Apes #95

As we can all tell from that cover, Jason, Alexander and friends continue to have a troubling experience in their encounter with the Demons of the Psychedrome.

And I do believe we've reached the end of the yarn in which the Man-Thing and his supporting cast are roped in to act out the life of a dead clown.

Manny, of course, must fight a trio of supernatural beings to protect that clown's soul.

Ka-Zar's entangled in an adventure called Beyond the Vale of Savage Time. An epic of which I have no knowledge, other than that he may have to fight a gorilla - to the death!

And we wrap up the issue with the continued reprinting of Marvel's adaptation of the original Planet of the Apes movie.

Super Spider-Man with the Super-Heroes #183, the Tarantula

It's good news for all fans of twinkle-toed action, because the Tarantula makes his stabby debut.

And does so by hijacking a boat trip our hero and his chums are riding on!

I've always had a soft spot for the Tarantula but this does raise the question of whether there's ever been a good super-villain whose talent is jumping around? The Kangaroo was rubbish. Batroc was rubbish. Leapfrog was rubbish. The Toad was rubbish. Much as I love the Tarantula, he clearly is rubbish. I am starting to spot a pattern here.

Not doing much jumping around is the god of thunder who finally uncovers the secret of Infinity. And it means Odin is going to have to do battle with Odin!

For what feels like the millionth week running, Iron Man's facing the Red Ghost and his Super-Apes.

Then, in a tale I remember well, Morbius and the Thing are removed from this reality, by the Living Eraser. Banished to another dimension, they must help a man called Supremor regain his throne. Presumably because it's a bit duff being called Supremor if you're not supreme.

And Dr Strange is still in big trouble in his struggles with Dracula.

Mighty World of Marvel #202, Vision vs Super-Skrull

It's a nightmare come true!

It's the week when The Mighty World of Marvel increases its price to 9p!

No wonder the government had to go to the IMF for more money in 1976. They clearly wanted to be able to carry on buying all four of Marvel UK's weeklies!

Meanwhile, it's the fight we all wanted to see; the Vision vs the Super-Skrull.

Although, admittedly, they never quite get round to fighting, because the Vision acts like a big sad quitter and departs the scene but it's all beautifully drawn, Carol Danvers turns out to be the Super-Skrull and Goliath loses his growing powers.

However, before we reach that epic, there's the Hulk to be dealt with when the fist-brained thumper of thugs and monsters has a return bout with Zzzax after Bruce Banner is hired as a janitor, by a lab whose latest experiment accidentally revives the creature!

Conan's strip, meanwhile, gives us a flashback to the barbarian's youthful encounter with a mysterious priestess called Ursla!

And, in Daredevil's strip, Karen Page launches her acting career while Daredevil investigates a troubled TV production. I suspect it can only mean Brother Brimstone is about to put in his first appearance!

30 comments:

  1. Well where is Big Ben then? I have seen Little Ben in London. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Ben is the bell inside the tower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or, alternately, the Man with No Time for Crime, Steve.

      http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix6/bigbenmm.htm

      -sean

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the link, Sean. He certainly looks to be quite the character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve-
    You mentioned Mars. I've read Elon Musk wants to go there.
    I think he should.
    M.P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Binface should assert he won and that there was massive voter fraud! It works herr in amurica! JC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claiming voter fraud is a Reform kind of tactic though. Binface should simply be declared the winner because Farage didn't turn up on the night!

      Thinks he's too special to be seen with the other candidates. Even that dodgy git Boris Johnson had the good grace to be seen at the count - and with the Count - in the Uxbridge by-election. That's how much of an Establishment tool Farage is...

      -sean

      Delete

  6. Steve, you are spot on about the fantastic force 100th anniversary issue. The story is rather lame and the Kirby art is rather uninteresting.

    If I recall correctly when you get towards the middle of the issue, it almost looks like Jack KIRBY’s rough pencils only in some panels and the inker couldn’t be bothered to put in any detail. It’s really bizarre.

    I remember going out of my way to finally buy that issue and just being really disappointed.

    JC

    ReplyDelete
  7. EE keeps pestering me with e-mails to become a mobile-phone customer even though I'm already an EE customer for both mobile and landline/broadband services. The mobile and broadband wings of the company obviously don't know what each other is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 22,000 votes for Farage in Clacton, Britain's version of Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a few months ago Binface only got 95 votes in the Makerfield by-election, Colin. So that is a big improvement. His vote share is up by about 20,000%!
      He will surely get into Parliament soon...

      -sean

      Delete
    2. Oops, I misread your comment, Colin. Duh.
      Binface got 9,445 votes though. So that is still an unprecedented improvement.

      -sean

      Delete
  9. I believe FF #100 was originallly a double sized issue hence the speed of the story which was published.New pages turned up years ago to support this theory.As a 10 year old I loved it...still do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That a garbage can got 25% of the vote is saying something, lol! If the garbage can had doubled his vote, plus one more, he would’ve beat Farage!

    ReplyDelete
  11. JC, I do find most of Kirby's later FF tales underwhelming.

    Anon, that FF story being intended as a double-lengther would explain much.

    MP, I would definitely be willing to make a financial contribution to ensure Musk's Mars dream comes true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Talking of politics, there's a play on Radio 4 today (Saturday) which imagines an alternate history where Cherie Blair became Prime-Minister rather than her husband. Should be worth a listen!

    Sean, are you "feralprole" on the Guardian's opinion site? I only ask because I've just been reading a comment on there which is remarkably similar to your SDC comment about Farage not turning up to the Clacton count. I no longer leave comments at The Guardian after they kept getting deleted by the censors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin, I may - or may not - occasionally leave a comments at the Grauniad, but am not at liberty to reveal any secret identity.

      -sean

      Delete
  13. Steve, that issue of Titans was one of the few that I can recall reading, and I agree about that story from FF #100 not being a great tale. Even at the time, robots seemed like a cheat. And a bit of a stupid idea.
    See also: X-Men #100...

    Can't say I'm in as much agreement when it comes to the records you approved of. 'Good Vibrations' was obviously a major achievement when it came out, but I have to admit I don't really 'get' the Beach Boys, or the whole Brian Wilson mystique.
    Mind you, at the time I think I liked 'In Zaire', so what did I know?
    In my defence though, a few years later I was into Blue Öyster Cult's 'Agents of Fortune' album when I heard it.

    In retrospect, the best records released this month though were surely Parliament's 'Clones of Dr Funkenstein', and 'Stretchin' Out' by mothership off-shoot Bootsy Collins' Rubber Band (with 'Tales of Kid Funkadelic' out at the start of September, clearly by 1976 we were in the era of peak P-Funk).

    And obviously Hawkwind's classic 'Astounding Sounds' lp.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izr86KYRNkg

    Some round these parts may also be interested to know that tomorrow is the 50th anniversary of a Swedish group called Abba putting out their single 'Dancing Queen'. Probably their best, after 'SOS'...?

    -sean

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. FF#100 may have been a letdown but the Kirby era was nearly over - FF#102 was his final issue.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The BEAC H BOYS.

    Clearly big time success. Yet, like Bob Dylan, I never met anyone who had a record of theirs. I had their greatest hits and only played a few songs once for a surfer-themed party at the frat house.

    In Chicago or the midwest it was simply rare to hear a song of theirs on AM or FM but for GOOD VIBRATIONS.

    This enigma I’ve pondered before. (Truly I have.)

    My speculation is BB’s were a very massive success in California and, given Cali is roughly as big as FRANCE or the UK economically, population, and geography, that popularity, though extremely regional, heavily skewed national sales data.

    I wonder if BT, being a California dude, has thoughts? And RED AND MP could attest to their BB exposure in the midwest if it was like mine.

    In general, though, I am reluctant to speak negatively about a band that even the Beatles thought were excellent.

    But I always perceive the BB’s as a band vibing The Beatles 1964 mashing into a Barbershop Quartet and never really going beyond that high-pitched “surfer music” sound in their works.

    I do very much enjoy “ GOD ONLY KNOWS WHERE I WOULD BE WITHOUT YOU. “.

    And I too have only a very mild interest in the life of Brian Wilson or their overbearing father.
    JC

    ReplyDelete
  17. EFL is on in a few hours on the telly! PL starting next weekend. Charlie needs to figure out which bandwagon he’s going to jump on, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Matthew McKinnon15 August 2026 at 18:15

    JC -
    For The Beach Boys, just give Pet Sounds a listen.
    Its muso reputation and ubiquity are crushingly dull, but the record itself is magical. Beautiful sound, lovely heartfelt songs.

    Their next few albums are patchy but brilliantly arranged. ‘This Whole World’ is an incredible single on every level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MM - Me and the Mrs. just gave “the whole world” a listen! Thank! We both had never heard it!

      Delete
  19. Charlie- yep, I had plenty of exposure to the Beach Boys in high school. Actually bought their hits double album "Endless Summer". Played it a ton ( although not nearly as much as the Beatles, or ABBA, or Steely Dan)...
    Must admit I got rather burned out on "Good Vibrations " after hearing it played ad nauseum in Sunkist Orange Soda commercials...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Err, that was me...forgot to log in.......

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love some of the Beach Boys singles but their albums are usually populated by too many bland tunes . I bought Pet Songs expecting so much from this album which influenced the Beatles but I was really disappointed by it .

    My fav singles in the charts for this week would be Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy, Born to Boogie T-Rex, Back in the USSR the Beatles, and Lets Stick Together by Bryan Ferry.

    Sean, I have several Bob Dylan LPs, the guys a genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I know people who have Dylan records too, Paul (it wasn't me who brought him up).

      In response to Charlie - for it was he - I would say that for a major artist who gets a lot of coverage, Dylan's fanbase is deep rather than wide, so while there's quite a few people who don't have any of his records, the ones that do generally have several (or indeed loads, and plenty of bootlegs!)

      I don't recall seeing any Beach Boys albums among my circle of acquaintances, even back in the day when it was more common for people to own records. My suspicion is that I am the wrong generation, and the main reason we keep hearing about them is because critics and TV arts programmers of a certain age are fans.

      That said though, I do have a couple of lps by Beach Boys associate and occasional songwriter Charles Manson.

      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lOXANzmKQ0M

      Ok, I'll get my coat...

      -sean

      Delete
    2. *Oops, corrected link, in case it doesn't work without the www. bit (I cut and pasted from a tablet above):

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOXANzmKQ0M

      -sean

      Delete