Pages

▼

Tuesday, 18 August 2026

Speak Your Brain! Part 131. Musical duets!

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon. 
***

The Steve Does Comics Megaphone
Image by Tumisu
from Pixabay

A wise woman once sang, "Surprise surprise. The unexpected hits you between the eyes."

But what could possibly surprise a man of my sagacity?

There's only one thing.

And that's the feature in which it is not I but you The Reader who gets to decide just what is to be the topic of the day's debate.

Multifold are the subjects that could be covered, running the gamut of A-Z and back again.

Therefore, hesitate ye not to launch that topic via the comments section below and we shall discover just how surprised a man can be.

30 comments:

  1. What are your favourite music duets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely 'Separate Lives', by Phil Collins & Marilyn Martin. Elton John & Kiki Dee good, too.

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great question Colin.

    I'll surprise everyone and throw in I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone by Tom Jones and James Dean Bradfield from Tom's Reload album.

    Although Common People by The Shat and Joe Jackson from Has Been comes close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dangermash, You surprised me by not going for anything by Gregg Allman and Cher.

      -sean

      Delete
    2. I knew that was coming Sean. If I had to go for something bluesy I'd probably go for BBKing and Bono (within U2) When Love Cones To Town.

      Delete
  4. Well based on my Spotify stats, for me it would be:

    Ain't no mountain high enough by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

    Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie

    Somebody that I used to know by Goyet and Kumbra

    Moves like Jagger by Maroon 5 and C Aguilar


    Sensa Una Donna by Paul Young and Zucchero

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does a duet have to be a harmony or can the two trade off?

    Offhand, “If I Fell” by John and Paul is pretty damn good to Charlie’s ears!

    And if Colin allows trade-off vocals as a duet then look out Beatles fans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does Baby It’s Cold Outside count? Like a million duets have performed and released this! And it starts getting us in the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of the ones listed here so far (and that I’m familiar with), I quite like Under Pressure

    If showtunes are allowed.:
    A Little Priest by Angela Lansbury and Len Cariou

    If showtunes are verboten:
    Where Is The Love by Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway

    b.t.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Showtunes are allowed, bt.
    The Beatles isn't quite what I meant, Charlie, but Baby It's Cold Outside is OK if it's performed as a duet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matthew McKinnon19 August 2026 at 04:17

    A real head-scratcher, this one.

    I’ll go with the previous suggestion, Elton John & Kiki Dee from 50 years ago.

    Beyond that only arty answers from me, which might not entirely fit the remit…

    Gary Ogan & Bill Lamb ‘I Wanna Live’

    and - prob not acceptable - the album ‘Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror’ by Harold Budd and Brian Eno, as that’s my favourite album ever.

    Hey, it’s actually raining as I write this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The obvious one that springs to mind is Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood's 'Summer Wine'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH800q8qQsg

    And I like Womack & Womack 'Love Wars' quite a bit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxp-K6wcu3M

    -sean

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are there any duets you don't like? Include them too if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Duets I like:
    "This is Not America" by David Bowie and Pat Metheny
    "Something Stupid" by Frank and Nancy Sinatra
    "Say, Say, Say" by Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson
    Duet that I don't like at all:
    "Endless Love" by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie. Always found it to be maudlin, plodding and boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I forgot "This is not America " good call Red.

      Delete
  15. For awful duets ( apart from comedy ones as you noted):

    Ebony and Ivory by Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder

    Dancing in the street by David Bowie and Mick Jagger

    Even 4 pop musical legends can get it wrong Neither were awful but they were bland .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, and how about Roy Wood and Mike Batt? I Wish It Could Be A Wombling Merry Christmas Every Day.

    This is a nomination for best duets, not worst ones,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Colin, thanks for the topic.

    I must confess I've been struggling to think of good duets.

    I shall go for Snow Patrol and Martha Wainwright with Set the Fire to the 3rd Bar. A combination that managed to be more than the sum of its parts.

    And Your Love Alone is Not Enough by the Manic Street Preachers and Nina Persson.

    As for bad duets, I have to go for Bono and Frank Sinatra treating us to their unique rendition of I've Got You Under My Skin.

    ReplyDelete
  18. And how about whole albums with a different guest vocalist on each track?

    I have three by BB King, one by Gov't Mule, one by Slash, one by John Fogerty and I bought my mum one by Lulu years go but Rewind by Tom Jones will take some beating.

    Also a couple of Shats but most of his guests tend to be guitarists. And a weird Gov't Mule album recorded after their original bassist died, where as a tribute to him they had a different guest bassist on every track.

    ReplyDelete
  19. For worst duet, I nominate "I wish I could fly", by Keith Harris & Orville.

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think Sting's guest vocal on Dire Straits' 'Money For Nothing' is quite famous.

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
  21. dangermash, Shatner had a guest vocalist on his version of 'Silent Night', fellow Star Trek actor Iggy Pop (although I don't know if I'd describe it as a duet exactly).
    And yes, I suppose the Cher thing was quite predictable...

    Still, at least its reminded me of another Bowie duet, 'I Got You, Babe', with Marianne Faithfull. Which is awful, but in a good way... unlike his 'Dancing in the Streets' with her ex, which is just awful (sorry, Paul, but 'bland' is far too kind).

    -sean

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I thought the Marianne Faithful / Bowie duet was bizarrely good ( emphasis on bizarre) I watched it again recently and thought it aged well. I have to agree with you on the Bowie/Jagger duet, it wasn't good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh if it wasn't clear, I like the Bowie/Faithfull duet too, Paul (;

      -sean

      Delete
  23. Speaking of Iggy Pop, I’ve always liked “Candy”, his duet with Kate Pierson.

    Chrissie Hynde and K. D. Lang did a super-torchy Jazz cover of the 70s Soul classic “Me and Mrs Jones” a few years back that’s very cool.

    b.t.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wait — did I just hallucinate Iggy’s name popping up in this thread? Must have been all these mentions of Bowie. I know, that’s pretty far fetched but I’m going with it ;)

    b.t.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I remain partial to Interlude by Siouxsie and Morrissey. No love for Kylie and Jason's Especially for you?

    DW

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ok…
    No Lennon and Macca duets
    Not really looking for xmas duets
    Let’s do a Chicago related one:

    WAIT by Robert Howard of the BLOW MONKEYS and KYM MAZELLE (from Chicago).

    And yes, I actually listened to it last week. And I never tire of hearing it.

    CHARLIE.

    ReplyDelete