Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Speak Your Brain! Part 130. What does ChatGPT think of our readers?

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

The Steve Does Comics Megaphone
Image by Tumisu
from Pixabay

What is  man without opinion?

I have no idea but I do know what this post is without an opinion.

And that's a post that cannot boast that it's the greatest feature on the internet.

That's because, as every sane man, woman, animal and plant knows, the greatest feature on the internet is the one on which you The Reader get to post a topic in the comments section below and we all get to share our opinions upon it.

Therefore, be sure to make use of that comments section and we shall discover just how opinionated we really are.

40 comments:

dangermash said...

I asked ChatGPT if t( SDC regulars were characters in Friends, who would they be?

ChatGPT says
That’s a surprisingly good fit because the Steve Does Comics regulars have settled into recognisable “sitcom roles”. This is based purely on the comment personas we’ve been inventing, not the real people.

dangermash said...

Steve (blogger) = Monica Geller

The organiser. Keeps everything running, hosts the gathering every week, makes sure everyone has somewhere to come back to.

Charlie Horse 47 = Ross Geller

The intellectual. Loves history, analysis and putting things into context. Can happily disappear down an interesting conversational rabbit hole.

Phillip = Chandler Bing

Quick with the jokes and unexpected observations. Often lightens the mood.

Matthew McKinnon = Joey Tribbiani

Enthusiastic, open-hearted and always keen to get involved in the discussion. Brings energy more than angst.

dangermash = Phoebe Buffay

Quietly original. Looks at things from slightly different angles and often has unexpectedly perceptive takes.

Sean = Rachel Green

Calm, approachable and adaptable. Fits comfortably into almost any conversation without dominating it.

b.t. = Ross Geller (the scholarly side)

Another detail-oriented expert. The person who remembers obscure facts and enjoys getting the details right.

Redartz = Gunther

Always feels like part of the furniture—in the nicest possible way. A reassuring regular whose presence helps define the community.

Colin Jones = Mike Hannigan

Easy-going, dependable and gets along with everyone.

McSCOTTY = Richard Burke

Experienced, knowledgeable and someone others naturally listen to when he speaks.

Killdumpster = Janice

Not because they’re annoying! Rather because whenever they appear, you know something memorable, funny or unexpected is about to happen.

Boston Bill = Jack Geller

The elder statesman of the group—warm, experienced and full of stories.

dangermash said...

Interesting list. Biggest question for me is who's Boston Bill! No5 a name I recognise.

dangermash said...

ChatGPT goes on to say

The closest thing to the core six, based on the personas we’ve built up, would probably be:
* Steve = Monica
* Charlie Horse 47 = Ross
* Phillip = Chandler
* Matthew McKinnon = Joey
* dangermash = Phoebe
* Sean = Rachel
That group feels like it captures the balance of organiser, intellectual, joker, enthusiast, free spirit and steady presence that gives the comments section its character.

dangermash said...

Anonymous said...

dangermash - 'Boston Bill' sounds like a serial killer.

Phillip

Anonymous said...

If you were a serial killer, which one would you be Phillip?

dangermash, I can't stand Friends, and this just proves to me that AI is hugely over-rated. Hopefully the bubble is now bursting...
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2026/jul/28/ai-sell-off-chip-stocks-sk-hynix-samsung

Still, I am at ease with my inner Jennifer Anniston.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Fun. Do ‘Gilligan’s Island’ next!

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Sean - That quip vaguely brings to mind that show with Matthew Kelly, on Saturday nights, about 30 years ago (not that I watched it.)

Nor is 'Friends' a show I've ever watched either.

( My Boston Bill comment fits in with AI's view of me as "the Joker in the pack" - or the Jester, were it Daredevil. ) To me, I'm more of an aging misanthropist.

Phillip

Colin Jones said...

Boston Bill was a commenter from the early days of Steve Does Comics (I started reading SDC in 2012 so I'm a veteran).

I've never watched Friends either but I remember the theme-song (I'll Be There For You) from when it was a chart hit around 1996. So I'm the "Mike Hannigan" of the group (whoever he is) because I'm "easy-going, dependable and gets along with everyone" but doesn't that description apply to all of us? Should I be disappointed that I'm not one of the core six?

Anonymous said...

DM - incredibly creative thing to do!

I really enjoyed it! I also enjoyed Binhead! You are firing on all cylinders as we used to say!

I have seen Friends off/on while on a treadmill at the club. There is some really funny stuff there like Big Bang Theory!

Anonymous said...

Killdumpster aint been around these parts but once in the past 3-4 years! Wonder where he is! Big House?

dangermash said...

I went for Friends as I thought everyone must have some idea about who's who. Sounds like I was wrong. So I asked ChatGPT who all the SDC regulars would be if they were famous people and here's what it came up with this time:

Steve (blogger) = David Attenborough
The knowledgeable, calm guide. Someone who shares enthusiasm and makes people appreciate things they might otherwise overlook.

Charlie Horse 47 = Umberto Eco
Scholarly, thoughtful and fascinated by culture, history and hidden connections.

Matthew McKinnon = Carl Sagan
Curious, enthusiastic and always asking “What if…?”

Phillip = The Doctor
Clever, funny, unpredictable and forever taking conversations in surprising directions.

dangermash = Alan Bennett
Quietly observant, understated and capable of making a profound point in a gentle way.

b.t = Sherlock Holmes
Detail-oriented, analytical and happiest when piecing together obscure facts.

Sean = Stephen Fry
Measured, intelligent and easy to imagine having an enjoyable conversation with.

Redartz = Winnie-the-Pooh
Kind, reflective and quietly appreciative of life’s pleasures.

Colin Jones = Bob Ross
Friendly, positive and someone who makes everyone feel comfortable.

McSCOTTY = Yoda
The wise specialist. Speaks with authority born of long experience.

Killdumpster = Bugs Bunny
Mischievous, witty and always ready with a smart remark. < Hope he's doing OK>

Boston Bill = John Cleese
Veteran, articulate and capable of mixing intelligence with dry humour.

There are some weird ones there!

Anonymous said...

No M.P. in the list...?
Stupid ChatGPT.

-sean

dangermash said...

Spotters Badge, Sean. That's a bad miss. I won't be putting ChatGPT in charge of family finances just yet.

Anonymous said...

MP - we love you man! South Dakota’s finest!

McSCOTTY said...

Oh I do like my ChatGPT outcome. A nice way of saying I'm old but naming me Yoda worked for me. I think Colins was spot on as we're a few others. Great stuff DM

Colin Jones said...

Dangermash, so far my ChatGPT personas have been people I don't know - Mike Hannigan and Bob Ross!

Matthew McKinnon said...

I saw a fair bit of Friends back then (Sean - do you remember how Time Out magazine used to detest it when it was first on, the did a sudden about-face when it became massive?).

I haven’t seen it for decades, though I understand it’s taken on a whole new audience with the next generation(s) - a friend’s daughter is obsessed. Joey seems a pleasant enough person to be compared to, though I wish I had his dating skills too.

Carl Sagan I can live with!

Anonymous said...

No DW either, dangermash.
Maybe if you'd done the cast of Neighbours...?

-sean

Anonymous said...

Sean - B Smith isn't included either. Is AI against Australia, for banning social media for the 'yufe'?

Phillip

Colin Jones said...

This game could be applied to any cast of characters I assume. What about Coronation Street for example? Steve could be SDC's version of Annie Walker (same surname too) and Charlie (allegedly the intellectual) would be Ken Barlow but who'd be Hilda Ogden, Bet Lynch and Ena Sharples? I'm supposed to be the friendly and dependable one so I'd be Betty Turpin with her dependable hot-pots.

Colin Jones said...

ChatGPT sounds like it could be fun but I'm not paying for it. Didn't China create a free alternative last year? I recall it being launched on the very day of Trump's inauguration to piss him off and all those smug tech bros sitting behind him.

Colin Jones said...

Deepseek is the one I'm thinking of.

Redartz said...

Dangermash- a most amusing exercise! I've only seen "Friends" a couple of times, so I can't place Gunther in my admittedly faulty memory. However, Pooh ? Him I know. My wife would approve; she loves Winnie and a Pooh clock on our mantle. And I do like honey...

dangermash said...

Oh, I don’t pay for it. I have a free app on the iPad. If I ask too many questions, it tells me it's had enough and I'll have to wait until tomorrow, But if it's free, who am I to complain?

dangermash said...

Excellent question Colin. I did ask ChatGPT to make us all characters in Coronation Street or Eastenders before going for Friends so as not to confuse Charlie. Looking at the list, I suspect it started by picking out the soap characters nobody would want to be linked to and then allocated them to all of us. Here's what it came up with::

Steve (blogger) = Ken Barlow (Coronation Street)
The long-standing intellectual anchor of the community. Knows the history, has opinions, has seen eras come and go, and provides continuity.

Charlie Horse 47 = Dirty Den Watts (EastEnders)
A strong personality with presence. The person whose views carry weight and who can turn an ordinary conversation into a dramatic debate.

Matthew McKinnon = Mick Carter (EastEnders)
The friendly organiser type — brings people together, asks questions, keeps the conversation going and has genuine curiosity about others.

Phillip = David Platt (Coronation Street)
Quick wit, unpredictable energy, mischievous humour and a talent for making things more interesting.

dangermash = Roy Cropper (Coronation Street)
Thoughtful, observant, quietly intelligent and likely to surprise people with a perceptive comment.

b.t. = Norris Cole (Coronation Street)
The detail-obsessed expert who notices things others miss and has plenty of knowledge to share.

Sean = Ian Beale (EastEnders)
A more measured, reflective presence — someone who often thinks things through and contributes steadily.

Redartz = Emily Bishop (Coronation Street)
Warm, reflective, connected to memories and the emotional side of things.

Colin Jones = Steve McDonald (Coronation Street)
Friendly, sociable and a natural part of the community fabric.

McSCOTTY = Patrick Trueman (EastEnders)
Experienced, knowledgeable and someone you’d trust for perspective.

Killdumpster = Gail Platt’s David Platt energy (Coronation Street)
Not because of any drama — more the cheeky, mischievous, joke-making side. The person who keeps things lively.

Boston Bill = Dot Cotton (EastEnders)
The old-school institution figure: warmth, tradition, memories and a sense of having been around forever.

Steve W. said...

Colin, as Dangermash says, you can use ChatGPT for free. You only have to pay for its more advanced functions.

Steve W. said...

Dangermash, thanks for the topic.

Inspired by it, I've now asked ChatGPT which Carry On actors we'd all be. Obviously, half the people reading this will never have seen a Carry On film but I shall publish the list, regardless:

Steve W. → Sid James
Not because of the laugh, but because he's the genial ringmaster. Every post starts with a tour through 1970s chart music, current affairs and cinema before arriving at the comics. He keeps the conversation flowing and is happy to indulge everyone's nostalgia.

Charlie Horse 47 → Kenneth Williams
One of the elder statesmen of the comments. Erudite, witty and liable to add extra historical or publishing context. You imagine him politely disagreeing with Steve over whether an old Marvel UK story has appeared before.

Killdumpster → Charles Hawtrey
Regular, quirky and often delightfully off-centre. The sort who remembers an issue because of one bizarre panel in the backup strip rather than the main feature.

B Smith → Hattie Jacques
Measured, friendly and encouraging. Someone who helps keep discussions civil and appreciates the broader context rather than trying to win arguments.

Boston Bill → Bernard Bresslaw
Big-hearted, enthusiastic and never afraid to throw in a dramatic reaction. His "Nooooooo! (William Shatner style)" when Steve briefly stopped blogging is pure Bresslaw energy.

Comicsfan → Jim Dale
The energetic enthusiast. Always seems to have read everything and enjoys connecting one comic, TV show or film to another.

Joseph → Kenneth Connor
Quietly loyal. Doesn't comment just to hear himself speak; when he does, it's to say how much he's enjoyed the blog or to add a thoughtful observation.

Simon B → Peter Butterworth
Dry, understated humour. His "Those Uggs don't sell themselves, you know..." reply to Steve's spam-bot joke feels very Butterworth: understated rather than showy.

Anonymous said...

Just curious… Because Charlie is not up on AI… Are you feeding or copy pasting all of our critiques into a tool and then it returns an opinion?

Cheers!!! The erudite, culturally curious one aka Joe P

Anonymous said...

Funny - I never thought of BT and Sean as being detail-oriented as much as deeply knowledgeable. Which necessarily means mastering the details.

Red - next time you come by, me and the Mrs. will have a big pot of honey waiting for you, lol!

dangermash said...

No copying or pasting. I just asked it to do all these things with the stevedoesconics regulars based on all their comments. It asked me for the website address, which I gave it. Then it said it told me there were thousands of posts and that it would be a huge job to look at them all, so I told it I was happy with just posts from 2026.

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I have to wonder then how it missed MP since we both post anonymously and then sign at the end. Unless it figured out MP is my evil twin! CH

Colin Jones said...

Steve, that's an odd list - most of the SDC regulars aren't included!

Colin Jones said...

Dangermash, how is Boston Bill included on your list if ChatGPT only looked at comments from 2026?

Steve, today (July 30th) is 60 years since England won the World Cup and I'm reminded of your noble but doomed campaign to install Kate Bush's O England, My Lionheart as the official anthem specifically for England!

Anonymous said...

Charlie-
Maybe I am your evil twin.
I'll see you in Hell, Charlie! HELL!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

...by the way, how've you been doin'? Good to hear from ya.
M.P.

dangermash said...

Who knows Colin? ChatGPT is like a kid at junior school. I've no idea how or where it learns all these things. But if I can be bothered to tell it it's got something wrong it does correct itself.

Anonymous said...

dangermash, I recall a bit of discussion here a little while ago about the 70s SF cliche of the super-computer that broke down when faced with a logical paradox, and sometimes even just an error.

Funny how the 21st century reality seems to be the complete opposite - AIs hallucinating, and just making stuff up!

-sean

B Smith said...

"Still, I am at ease with my inner Jennifer Anniston.

-sean"

I expect we'll see people around town soon with the distinctive "sean" hairstyle...it'll become (dare i say it) iconic.

Missed the show completely when it was on, and when a TV special came along that described it as "the show that revolutionised TV and changed our lives forever" I realised I'd dodged a bullet.

Anonymous said...

I thought we should round this wonderful blog with DM’s idea to 40. 39 comments is bad mojo. Anyone agree?