Sunday 14 April 2019

Forty years ago today - April 1979.

When I was a young, I saw a TV show which may or may not have been called Extraordinary.

In it, the presenter claimed there's a tribe - possibly in Indonesia - who believe we're all travelling backwards in time, on the grounds that, when you walk forward, you can see where you're going but can't see where you've been. Therefore, as we can see the past, it must be ahead of us and, as we can't see the future, it must be behind us.

Logic like this can turn your whole mindset on its head.

Sadly, as I've never been able to find any reference to this tribe anywhere on the internet, I've always suspected the show made it all up.

But if it is true, that can only mean one thing; that it's time for me to walk, face-first, into the past and find out what Marvel's greatest heroes will be up to in the books which will be cover-dated this month of forty years ago.

Avengers #182

It's a weird one, as Wanda and Pietro's minds get kidnapped and put inside a pair of marionettes, by a man who claims to be their father.

Needless to say, it's not long before the rest of the Avengers are on hand to get confused by it all.

Conan the Barbarian #97

It's Conan, BĂȘlit and a big, friendly lion against a whole jungle's worth of deadly animals controlled by the inevitable sorcerer of bad intent.

Needless to say, it's not long before those animals are making a snack of that sorcerer.

Captain America #232

It's all hands to the pumps, as Cap tries to stop a race war erupting in New York.

And, for once, it's not being orchestrated by the Red Skull!

Or the Hate-Monger!

Or the Sons of the Serpent!

Fantastic Four #205

Three of the FF are in a galaxy far, far away, battling an army of Skrulls who're out to conquer some planet or other.

Meanwhile, back on Earth, the Human Torch has returned to college and is blundering straight into the Machiavellian machinations of The Monocle.

I do believe this tale ties in with the later issues of Nova.

Incredible Hulk #234

It would appear that The Corporation get a fake Machine Man to kidnap one of the Hulk's friends.

I'm assuming this'll lead to a confrontation between Hulkie and the real Machine Man.

Iron Man #121, the Sub-Mariner

After the inevitable fight, Iron Man and Subby team up to take on a fake army that's out to steal a bucketload of vibranium from an island populated by just one man.

Amazing Spider-Man #181, the Spider-Slayer

Surely the most promising cover blurb of all time, as we're assured we're about to get the last ever Spider-Slayer.

Professor Smythe is dying, thanks to the vast quantities of radiation his spider-slayers have been emitting over the years, and decides to kill JJJ for it.

Needless to say, Spidey's out to put a stop to that, even though Jameson's currently publicly accusing him of killing his son John.

Spectacular Spider-Man #29

Carrion's up to no good.

Then again, when isn't he?

Then again, if you're Carrion, there's not a lot you can do apart from be up to no good. Looking like that, it's not like he can go to the cinema, or do the grocery shopping.

Beyond that, I can say little, as my recall of this tale is limited, even though I have a strong memory of the cover.

Thor #282, Tempus

It would appear Thor has to battle someone called Tempus, in order to get to Immortus' castle and get his hammer back.

Which leaves me more confused than ever. I could never keep track of whether Immortus was a good guy or a bad guy. I'm not sure Marvel could either.

X-Men #120

The X-Men have to take on Alpha Flight, after a storm forces them to make an emergency landing in Canada.

Shouldn't Storm be able to stop there being a storm? Isn't that the kind of thing she's there for?

22 comments:

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Hi y'all. The name's Mike, gang, and try not to applaud - I'm almost as shy as I am glamorous! And if you're wastin' time moonin' over dangermash, forget it! Mashy boy's gonna be out of town for a while lecturin' at Carter College! I'm sure glad that twinny got all the brains in the family 'n yours truly got stuck with the good looks!

I'd just like to thank those crazy cats who voted in my painting survey! It sure was a doozy! The results are at https://artisticactuary.blogspot.com/2019/04/results-of-q1-2019-survey.html and just confirm that everybody loves me even more that I love myself!

And now, as you gape in wide-eyed wonder, here's where I exit the scene! Don't be bashful! You can applaud if you wanna!

Steve W. said...

Hi, Mike. Once Upon a Time in the West is my favourite.

I just hope Mashy doesn't run into any aliens, looking to conquer the Earth, while he's at that lecture.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I really don't know why Marvel discontinued using Spidey Slayers and Red Skull Sleepers? I mean, once every 3 - 4 years would be OK, no?

Given I haven't really been a regular reader in about 40 years, we would be on Sleeper or Spidey Slayer 15 or so by now? The possibilities would have been endless!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Hey Actuary, or Dangermash,

I am sitting here in travel hell: 1000 flights cancelled due to a freak snow storm in Chicago.

Just curious where Carter College is? I don't find it in a search?

(Yes - I am that short of things to entertain my mind as I sit here with two phones running... one to find a flight and the other to find my bag...)

Anonymous said...

Looks the the Hulk is busting up a hippie dorm at Berkeley, long a hotbed of liberalism!
"You unkept youngsters, with your free love, rock and roll, and whacky tobaccy, have been polluting this great nation for too long! Reagan was right! Hulk smash!!!"
It was the "City on a Hill speech" that turned the Hulk around politically. Before that he had been anti-military and anti-establishment.
"Hulk say, get a haircut and a job like your parents did, puny beatniks!!!"

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Were there many hippies at Berkeley by '79? The Free Speech movement was long over, no?
If I recall correctly from this feature, Spider-Man was dealing with student protest sometime in '77, maybe even '78. Seems like Marvel writers or editors were a bit behind the times.

I think that Captain America story is the one with Dr Faustus behind the nutters trying to make America great again. Doesn't Sharon Carter die?

-sean

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Sean, I dunno. There a still a few old hippies rolling around.
I'm a pretty liberal guy myself. I'm a registered Democrat.
My Ma used to do work with the Democratic party in Iowa. Years ago, she got a call from Ted Kennedy himself, thanking her for her efforts.
When she told me about it, I said, "He didn't proposition ya, did he? Ask ya to go for a car ride? Don't do it, Ma!"
I made her laugh, anyway.
Yeah, I'd be a hippie myself, except when I try to grow long hair and a beard, I look like a guy who had started changing into a werewolf, and about halfway through, the moon went down.
Just all uneven and patchy and weird-lookin'. And now he's stuck like that! Son of a bitch!

M.P.

dangermash said...

I've never heard of Carter College either, Charlie. He must be on something. Still, I admit he can paint.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I did find a Carter School for like teens, near Bournemouth. The boys and girls were dressed in these blue blazers and such. Not being British, I assumed they were "posh" cause they did look rather dapper.

I think that's the first time I've ever used the word "posh?"

Should I now treat myself to a "Pimm's" LOL?

Anonymous said...

Steve, that Indonesian tribe you mentioned does exist - I remember reading about them only a couple of years ago (in a magazine but I can't recall which one). I'd never heard of them before but their concept of time is completely different to the norm.

dangermash said...

Mike and I had to wear black blazers & trousers to secondary school, Charlie, and it definitely wasn't what I'd call posh. But anybody that's left school and still wears a blazer for kicks is definitely posh.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

UK Gents - Help!

I'm listening to Talksport as I try to get the last flight out of Chicago after yesterday's mini blizzard.

A pub called "Green Kings" is a regular advertiser saying they have over 1000 pubs in the UK? Is that right? I mean that seems like huge number? Like every town / village of size has one?

What's it like on the inside, anyone know? I mean it must be entertaining if there are over 1000 of them?

Thanks!

I am not a robot!

dangermash said...

Greene King is a brewery, based somewhere in the South East. A lot of pubs in England will be owned by breweries and will sell their beer all year round, maybe with the odd "guest" beer from another brewery. Pubs owned by Greene King will all look different and have individual characters - it's not like Wetherspoons where every pub looks identical. Greene King is probably most prevalent in the South East. My Uni days were spent in the South East and Greene King IPA was my beer of choice. I can think of two pubs and a student bar all within 200 yards of my living quarters, all selling Greene King.

dangermash said...

Actually, make that more East Anglia than South East.

Steve W. said...

I've just Googled the Greene King pubs in my area and can confirm that they are indeed, very different from each other. I note that one of them is The Frog and Parrot which, at one point, boasted that it sold the world's strongest beer.

Colin, thanks for the confirmation that those people exist. It's nice to know the man on the TV wasn't lying.

Redartz said...

Artistic Actuary Mike- glad to have had the chance to look at your work. Some nice images!

Ah, 1979. A fondly remembered year in comics for this graying geek. Charlie, I don't know if the Spider Slayers reappeared after that; I suspect they did. I kept up the title until 1984, but only bought sporadically after that. So I probably missed some things, while not missing them (if you know what I mean).

Killdumpster said...

I had to roll my eyes when Wanda & Pietro were transferred into puppets. It just seemed like the Avengers were going the same route as the goofy/silly Defenders storylines.

With all the guys claiming to be their father (Whizzed, Magneto etc), they'd be pretty well of if they'd sue all these deadbeats for back child support. Heck, they might've even been able to take the High Evolutionary to court, for his role as supposive guardian.

Spider Slayers are like potato chips (or "crisps"). Always room for more.

My interpretation of Immortus is that he thinks he's above the concepts of good & evil, and he'll play either side of the fence to suit his selfish needs.

Killdumpster said...

Charlie-
I am talking about Immortus, not the POTUS. Lol!

Killdumpster said...

Sorry for the typos. Meant "Whizzer" & "they'd be pretty well OFF". Was detracted by a barmaid who wanted me to roll out a keg for her,and it was my flavor.

Anonymous said...

Actually Kd - and Steve - Immortus was one of the good guys. It later turned out that Thor story was part of an elaborate plan of his to keep the Time Keepers from destroying the Avengers. And, more generally, the human race.
Well, that was how things stood last time I checked, but that was a while ago now - I suppose the whole Immortus situation could have been retconned again since then.

-sean

dangermash said...

This definitely isn’t the last spider slayer. Smythe's son later takes up the mantle. I can remember him following Peter and MJ out to visit her father in San Francisco(?). Smythe's son also features in the Fox cartoons.

And, Redartz, Mike passes on his thanks from wherever he is.

Killdumpster said...

Sean-

Though Immortus had his hero on in the Thor story, I vaguely recall him acting more than a little underhanded from time to time (pun intended, lol).