Sunday 27 October 2019

2000 AD - September 1981.

If I were to say to you, "Sometimes I feel I've got to... ...run away," I've no doubt at all you'd know exactly what I was referring to.

I'd be referring to the music charts of September 1981 because that month began with those very words at the toppermost of the poppermost, as Soft Cell ruled the UK singles chart with their heavily remodelled version of the Northern Soul classic Tainted Love.

But they didn't have it all to themselves because, halfway through that month, they were dethroned by a prince.

That prince was one of the charming variety, one who knew that ridicule was nothing to be scared of. Yes, it was Adam Ant and his band of a similar name.

Well, those young things may have been bossing the singles market but, over on the album chart, the oldies were in charge, as September began with ELO on top, thanks to their LP Time, before they were deposed by Genesis's latest offering Abacab.

I don't have a clue what tracks peace protesters were listening to back then but I do know it was the month the legendary Greenham Common Women's Peace Camp was set up. Clearly, it must have worked, as, thirty eight years later, nuclear Holocaust has yet to break out.

If it was a bad month for those planning Armageddon, it was a great one for comedy actor David Jason who had two massively successful TV shows launch within days of each other.

The first was the long-running and occasionally interminable sitcom Only Fools and Horses, while the second was the much-loved cartoon Danger Mouse.

And Danger Mouse wasn't the only animated legend making his mark that month because we also experienced the very first broadcast of Postman Pat.

Across the pond, Simon & Garfunkel were doing their Concert in Central Park, a free show performed before a crowd of half a million.

I wonder how that figure compares to the number of people who were reading 2000 AD at the time?

However many of them there were, they were being given Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Nemesis the Warlock, Tharg's Future Shocks and The Mean Arena.

Among those epics, we got the conclusion to the tale of Judge Death's return, in which Dredd and Anderson travel to Judge Death's homeworld, which I suspect is not a happy place.

But the big news was we got the first appearance of Rogue Trouper, the blue skinned soldier of the future, genetically modified to be able to survive in a vacuum, which is a talent I'm sure will serve him in good stead.

It would seem Prog 229 has a feature about space travel in the 1980s. It'd be interesting to know just what Tharg reckoned we had in store for us.

2000 AD Prog 228, Rogue Trooper

2000 AD Prog 229, Judge Dredd

2000 AD Prog 230, Nemesis the Warlock

2000 AD Prog 231

19 comments:

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Hey y'all

It's boisterous twin brother Mike here. DM tells be you're all budding art critics and know your Colans from your Kirbies. I was wandrin' whether any of you cool dudes out there could have a go at this survey for me. We all have different tastes (me, I'm a big Frank Robbins fan) and I just need you to pick your favourite Mickey Masterpieces from the list (maximum of ten). It only takes a minute and if I get enough responses I promise not to stick my younger twin's head in the toilet and flush it again this Christmas.

https://poll.app.do/summer-2019-painting-poll

Gotta fly now. It's Sunday night and those chicks won't dance on their own.

Anonymous said...

Tainted Love was alright Steve, although I preferred them doing their own stuff like Say Hello or Torch (not to mention Gloria Jones singing the original), but the rest of Sept '81 sounds terrible.
Like Genesis - yikes! (Whenever I hear about them I'm reminded of the book American Psycho).

Still, good month for the progs by the looks of it; zarjaz covers there by Dave Gibbons, Mike McMahon and Kev O'Neill, and of course inside Brian Bolland drew the last part of the Judge Death story.
If memory serves, the next Dredd story was the first to be drawn by Colin Wilson, who in an unusual move later worked on the French western series Blueberry, while the rest of that 2000AD lot went to DC and Marvel.

-sean

Anonymous said...

PS Hey, I just noticed for the first time in ages that mug isn't the featured post anymore. Does that mean you've sold some then Steve? (;

-sean

Anonymous said...

Prog 228 was particularly strong with Gibbons Rogue Trooper, Bolland Judge Dredd and O'Neil Nemesis. There was also an Ezquerra Strontium Dog, but I never really got the appeal. I had both Tainted love (12" obviously) and Prince Charming (only the 7") which must be the only two consecutive number one singles I owned. I must have been flush that month.

DW

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Adam Ant, I liked him. He didn't sound like anything else I was hearing at the time.
Out here in the frozen wasteland of the upper Midwest, anyway.
I like a good horn section!
That and a heavy bass line made for some interesting songs.

M.P.

Steve W. said...

Artistic Actuary, I have now voted in the poll.

Sean, I don't think there's any chance of anyone ever buying that mug. I just got bored of seeing it there. I have no doubt the mug plug will return when people least want it.

DW and MP, Adam Ant was never really my thing. I think I was more impressed by the noticeably similar-sounding Bow Wow Wow but, then again, the appeal of Bow Wow Wow is also lost on me now.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Charlie thinks that not only did Malcolm Mclaren rob Adam and the Ants of his band and sound to create Bow Wow Wow in 1980, but that MM may have had a heavy hand in XTC's
Making Plans for Nigel."

The percussion sounds eerily similar...

Charlie is hopeful that the UK brotherhood of comic connoisseurs may have some insights?

Charlie Horse 47 said...

And had Adam and the Ants changed his name to Adam Ant per Steve's into? Nothing escapes Charlie that is really, really important.

Anonymous said...

Personally Charlie, I also preferred Bow Wow Wow to Adam Ant/& the Ants. And to XTC for that matter, who were really over-rated imo.
(But then I liked Throbbing Gristle and Cabaret Voltaire, so what do I know?)

Meanwhile... as we get closer to the end of the month, it seems readers of the Beano have decided that the scariest character of 2019 is Alexander Boris dePfeffel Johnson, and are celebrating Halloween accordingly.
www.beano.com/categories/halloween

-sean

Redartz said...

Absolutely loved "Tainted Love". Had the 12" single where it segued into "Where Did Our Love Go", and played it to death. Also was a big fan of Adam and the Ants.

Sean- I'd forgotten about Throbbing Gristle! Had a friend who played them. Never really got into them, but that same friend also introduced me to the Residents. Ohhhh, those 80's......

dangermash said...

I'm sure Mike would send his thanks, Steve, if he wasn’t out on the town hunting for hen nights to crash. Thanks from me too, though. Christmas should be a bit more bearable now.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Sean – thanks for the Beano update! Mighty kind of you.

I recall some of you are in to spy novels. LeCarre has a new one out – “Agent Running in the Field.” Anyone read it?

Also, any of you read Mick Herron, a UK writer in the spy genre?

Cabaret Voltaire – yet another band presumably owing its success to Sheffield’s free bus fares?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up about LeCarre, Charlie. I'll see if the local library is gonna get the new book. Sometimes you can nudge 'em a little.
Yeah, I like his stuff. His books are full of surprises and deep, fascinating character studies. And M.P isn't even a spy-book kinda cat.
Hey, you guys ever heard of Laird Barron? He's like a modern, grittier Lovecraft. His short stories are absolutely nuts. Check 'im out!

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Adam Ant has gone on record confirming he was grateful for the suggestions Malcolm Mclaren made (the tribal drum influence and costumes etc). While he did lose this band, it was the catalyst for recruiting Marco Pirroni, who went on to co-write a shit load of hits. I still reckon an Adam Ant biopic would be fascinating. His life was certainly never dull. obviously Bow Wow Wow only shone briefly but Annabella Lwin certainly made an impression at my school. Those covers... Wow indeed!

DW

Killdumpster said...

I still have all of Adam Ant's albums from "Dirk Wears White Socks" to "Vibe Or Rock", with the exception of "Strip". It was too commercial, and I believed it ruined him. I believe "Strip" was produced by Phil Collins, whom I'm not a big fan of.

The Residents are highly underrated. I worked with them once. They really put on a good show. Yes, they perform with those giant eyeball masks.

Killdumpster said...

Meant "Vive Le Rock", which was a good back-to-roots album.

Killdumpster said...

MP-
While I like a good horn section myself, being a James Brown & early Chicago fan, my fav Adam Ant album is "Kings Of The Wild Frontier" over "Friend Or Foe". That may be second on my list.

For some good brass back-up, I can recommend Little Feat's "Waiting For Columbus". Its in my top ten live albums. They had the Tower Of Power for the show.

dangermash said...

There are some Phil Collins produced Clapton albums that I don't own and that I've heard are pretty awful. Should change his name to Phil Coletta.

And I concur with KD on Waiting For Columbus. Probably the first time any of the albums in my possession has been mentioned in the SDC comments. RIP Paul Barrere.

Steve W. said...

In fairness to Phil Collins, he produced Clapton's single Behind the Mask which I've always had a fondness for.