Tuesday 5 November 2019

The Marvel Lucky Bag - November 1969.

Do you recall what you were doing on this night of fifty years ago?

I do. I was looking at fireworks.

Admittedly, when I say, "Recall," I don't recall it at all but it was Guy Fawkes' Night, so it's a safe bet that's what I was doing.

And now here I am, fifty years later, on another Guy Fawkes' Night, not looking at fireworks but, instead, typing this deathless prose.

That's how important this deathless prose is.

That's why this deathless prose will never die.

What did die, fifty years ago this month, was any hope of dramatic change at the top of the British music charts.

That's because, despite a strong challenge by Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well, the Archies' Sugar Sugar spent the whole of November at Number One on the singles listings. Meanwhile, the top of the LP chart in that period was completely hogged by the Beatles' Abbey Road.

But what of the less popular Marvel titles which bore that month as their cover date? Could they provide us with the sense of change the twin Hit Parades so sorely lacked?

Captain Marvel #18, the Mandroid

Captain Marvel's great change happened last issue, of course, with the introduction of Rick Jones into the strip but there's still evolution this time round because here's where we first meet Mordecai P Boggs, and a legendary music career's born.

Even more thrillingly, the good captain rescues Carol Danvers from Yon-Rogg, by defeating his Mandroid who has no connection to the Mandroids who gave the Avengers so many problems during Neal Adams' brief stint on their strip.

Yon-Rogg may or may not die in this issue. I cannot say for sure, one way or the other.

Dr Strange #183, the Undying Ones

Change is also in the air for Strange, as, for no reason I can recollect, the supernatural surgeon's now using the name, "Stephen Sanders."

Thus, Dr Sanders (thank God he isn't a colonel) is summoned to the house of an old friend who's being controlled by three servants of the Undying Ones.

Can our hero stop them and can he rescue his friend before it's too late?

Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD #15

Thanks to Hydra, Nick Fury finds himself hunted by Bulls-Eye.

But not that Bullseye.

Which is a bit odd as, given his obvious similarities to that other villain, I see no reason to not retcon him has having been the same character.

Silver Surfer #10

Still moaning about how terrible people are, the Silver Surfer decides to blunder around in one of those war-torn Latin American countries the Marvel version of our planet is rife with...

...only to have Shalla-Bal show up, just as he's kissing a local peasant girl!

Argh! Talk about terrible timing.

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #6, the Sinister Six

It's the most important comic ever published because it's the first Marvel mag I ever owned, bought from the Rag and Tag market in Sheffield, a place which, in photos, looks like shoppers were lucky to leave there without having contracted the Black Death.

But who cares about the Black Death? With this one comic, I was introduced to Spider-Man and six of Marvel's greatest villains, not to mention the Fantastic Four, Dr Strange, the X-Men, Giant-Man, the Wasp, Thor, Iron man and God knows who else, as we get a book that's pretty much a straight reprint of the very first Spider-Man annual.

Sub-Mariner #19, Stingray

The Sting-Ray makes his senses-tingling debut, as Subby discovers he can no longer fly nor breathe underwater, leading to an epic battle in the sewers and an attempt to prevent the Brooklyn Bridge collapsing.

Homer the Happy Ghost #1

Well and truly freed from its former limited distribution, Marvel takes full advantage, by unleashing Homer the Happy Ghost upon us, who, I'm sure, bears no resemblance at all to Casper the Friendly Ghost.

I can shed no light upon the contents of this comic, as I'd never even heard of Homer before now but I do know this issue's strips all seem to be drawn by Dan deCarlo and written by Stan Lee.

Peter the Little Pest #1

Not only do we get one new book this month, we get two!

I'm going to make a guess that this one bears a remarkable resemblance to the American Dennis the Menace strip.

All tales in this issue are drawn by Joe Maneely, suggesting that they, like the Homer tales, are Golden Age reprints.

15 comments:

Simayl said...

Regarding Silver Surfer, I never understood what "IN A WORLD HE NEVER MADE!" meant. It appeared on countless covers and splash pages.

dangermash said...

I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I felt compelled to take a quick look through ASM Annual #1 to check out your list of guest stars. Everyone on your list was there. Even the X-Men: only three of them pop up as Mysterio's MFI robots but all five plus Professor X appear in another panel. Captain America was the only one you missed.

Mind you, Stan and Steve somehow forgot to give guest appearances to Daredevil, Hulk and Nick Fury. Unless Dez has been snipping away at my Marvel Masterworks.

Steve W. said...

Simayl, as far as I know, "In a world he never made," means being trapped in a world whose rules are imposed upon you by others.

Dangermash, the 1969 annual also contains a Jack Kirby retelling of the early story in which Spidey tries to join the FF, and a reprint of the Jack Kirby drawn tale in which Spidey crashes Dorrie Evans' party and, therefore, ends up fighting the Human Torch. As you can imagine, it was all positively mind-blowing for me, as a new reader.

dangermash said...

Oh, that Kirby retelling must be the worst Spider-Man story ever.

OK, Spider-Man doesn't build web wings that let him fly around (Kirby ASM#8 and Heck Avengers #10). But he does have living Carnage-style webbing that crawls along the floor towards the operator of a powerful electric fan that has him pinned to the wall. And he's impervious to electric shocks, quite happy to plug his webbing into electrical sockets (and the Invisible Woman has the same power, unplugging it). And he can build rock hard Sandman-style web pillars. There's probably more that I can't remember.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Let’s be honest… The lettering for “When Walks the Mandroid” is green b/c Marvel knew it made a mistake bigly by changing Mar-vell's uniform to soda-pop-can colors.

They tried to appease the millions who walked away from Mar-vell due to the uniform change. But it was too little, too late… the book would be cancelled in a few months.

If Stan had kept his eye on the ball instead of worrying about Peter and Homer, he might have become famous. (Where are Peter and Homer now as compared to Mar-vell? Heck, he has her own movie!)



Did Stan really think Marvel was going to knock off a piece of Harvey?

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Remember, remember... Happy Guy Fawkes UK chaps!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I dare say there seems to be something special about Subby this month? Not sure why it grabs me more than usual. Something quite nice about The Sting Ray?

Redartz said...

Charlie- one thing about Sting Ray, he had a mighty sharp costume...

That Spiderman annual was terrific (although it seemed a bit odd to me at the time, the Ditko art- I was accustomed to Romita Sr., as on that fine cover). One of the all time greatest comic stories ever...

Killdumpster said...

Didn't get any of the comics presented in this post. There must've been returnable pop bottle anemia along my country roads.

Seeing as I never saw Rick with an electric guitar, I always thought he was a folk singer. When reading his lyrics, it was obvious he was no Bob Dylan.

I didn't get to read the Sinister Six story till I got a Marvel Treasury Edition for my 10th birthday.

Stingray has got to be my least favorite Subby foe. I think they used him in Hulk's book years later. I wasn't impressed then either.

Steve W. said...

KD, I only had the Spider-Man Annual. The Dr Strange story is the only one I read in the Marvel UK reprints.

When it came to Rick's musical career, I always assumed he was in the Donovan envelope.

Dangermash, isn't there a part of that Spidey story where Reed turns his hands into giant table tennis paddles, to try and swat our hero?

Red, reading that annual was a genuine mind-expanding experience for me. Also, it taught me the phrases, "Cold feet," and, "Bury the hatchet," which I'd never encountered before.

Charlie, never fear. I'm sure that, one day, Captain Marvel will return to his/her green and white roots.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

You know... I was wondering if Stingray was inspired by Donovan's hit Atlantis? Anyone else feeling that vibe?

I still can't get over those great UK 60s artists like Gerry and the Pacemakers, Donovan, and Moody Blues.

Redartz said...

Charlie- yes, the UK sounds (60's and 80's) were The Best. Love your mention of Gerry and the Pacemakers. "Ferry Cross the Mersey" gets me every time...

dangermash said...

I just checked FF annual #1 and right about those table tennis bat hands, Steve.

But Reed belonged to Kirby and was used to doing daft things in his strips, like the time (in FF#3?) when he replaced a tyre. Not the way a Kwikfitter does - he took the place of a tyre. When Kirby did daft things with Spider-Man, though, that annoyed me. Spider-Man didn’t belong to him, so he shouldn’t have been inventing new rules and superpowers.

Also in that story, I see Spider-Man builds a web baseball bat and a web shield. Not great but a long way from being Kirby's biggest sins.

Killdumpster said...

As far as Kirby doing goofy stuff with Spidey's webbing, it was nowhere as bizzare compared to what they did with it in the 60's cartoon series.

In an episode where Spidey was in a swamp, fighting the Lizard or an Australian hunter, he webbed up a working MOTOR BOAT!!!

Even as a child I knew that was ridiculously impossible.

As far as Donovan, the only hits I heard on the radio were Sunshine Superman & Mellow Yellow.

I didn't experience his Atlantis till my mom ordered a K-Tel record collection through the mail. I believe it was called 30 Monster Hits

Were you UK folks exposed to the excessive K-Tel or Ronco music TV ads for send-away records in the 60's & 70's?

They were pretty relentless here in the states.

Killdumpster said...

I actually did read Homer the Happy Ghost in a dentist's waiting room. Years later I read Buck the Duck in the same place.

I wonder if he was the prototype for Howard the Duck.