Tuesday 7 April 2020

The Marvel Lucky Bag - April 1970.

I hope you like Bridge Over Troubled Water because, if you're trapped in April 1970, you're not going to be able to get away from it.

Not only is it at Number One on the UK album chart - and in the process of holding on to that position for the entire month - but its title track's also top of the British singles chart.

However, there's some respite for those who don't like pianos and epic singing, as, just one week into the month, the single's deposed from its throne, by Dana and her Eurovision winner All Kinds of Everything.

However, Dana herself clings onto the perch for just two weeks before Norman Greenbaum knocks her off it to rule the roost for the last week of April, thanks to his track Spirit in the Sky.

Meanwhile, at the cinema, our big screens are being rocked by A Man Called Horse, Colossus: The Forbin Project and Patton.

That all sounds great but the film release whose title most catches my eye is something called The Cockeyed Cowboys of Calico County which is, it seems, a comedy starring Mickey Rooney.

Limited is the information available to me about it, but I find it hard to believe it can possibly be a patch on Carry On Cowboy.

Chamber of Darkness #4

The cover helpfully tells us a monster man comes walking walking.

But we're not interested in that.

What we are interested in is that this issue features the sorcerer-smashing debut of Starr the Slayer.

Admittedly, as far as I'm aware, it also features his final appearance as well.

Starr is, of course, a fictional barbarian who sets out to kill the writer of his tales, in the belief that said author is an evil wizard.

What's most striking about Starr is his remarkable resemblance to a certain Cimmerian, which means that, this month, Marvel's published two comics which feature characters who seem like photocopies of Conan. The other being The Avengers #75, thanks to Arkon.

By an even greater twist of fate, both tales are written by Roy Thomas, while one is drawn by John Buscema and the other by Barry Smith.

How high can the coincidences pile up before it starts to look like there's some sort of plan at work?

Silver Surfer #15, the Human Torch

Is there no guest-star Stan the Man won't throw at us in an attempt to get us to read this comic?

Last month, we had Spider-Man show up and now it's the Human Torch.

Needless to say, our, "hero," moans and whinges his way through this tale, constantly lamenting the humans' habit of rushing to violence, while, himself, flying off the handle at every opportunity.

In a supreme irony, at the tale's end, the Surfer suddenly realises that, in this case, he has been the aggressor, not mankind.

No doubt, this means we've heard the last of his grizzling and that, from now on, he'll realise he's no better than the rest of us.

I mean, you'd think that'd be what'd happen...

Sub-Mariner #24, Tiger-Shark

Nothing but peril awaits when the Sub-Mariner finds himself the prisoner of Doctor Dorcas and Warlord Krang.

Who now can save Atlantis from the attack of their killer whales?

Tiger shark can!

Because, discovering the threat to the city, as he's just swimming around, minding his own business, he volunteers to protect it, on condition Lady Dorma agrees to marry him.

Can it be? Can the foul fiend be about to gain control of both Atlantis and its queen?

Rawhide Kid #75

And can it be the end of our gun-toting hero?

No, it can't. His comic still has another nine years of life left in it yet.

There's one thing you can say about the Rawhide Kid, he may be of no interest at all to me but he's a tough man to kill.

I do believe I detect a Jack Kirby cover.

Our Love Story #4, Joe Howard's Chick

I must confess I've not read this issue but, somehow, I don't feel like I need to.

I just seem to know, as though by some psychic force, that this issue will feature three stories, each of which will involve a young woman crying her eyes out over some terrible romantic dilemma before learning a valuable life lesson as she stares into the sunset.

14 comments:

split2nd said...

Larry Lieber on Rawhide’s cover—he signed it.

Steve W. said...

So he did. Well spotted, Split2nd. Larry really was good at mimicking the Kirby style.

Anonymous said...

Dana may be the only Eurovision winner to go on to become a Brussels MEP Steve - somewhat surprisingly, that never became one of the arguments to Leave during the referendum.

Also somewhat surprisingly, I am familiar with Our Love Story #4, which features some nice Gene Colan artwork - even with Sal Buscema inking - in "How Do We Know When Its Really Love?"
Btw, the answer to that question at the story's end is - SPOILER ALERT - "You know. You simply know!"

-sean

Charlie Horse 47 said...

At the ripe age of 9, I am pretty sure that Silver Surfer 15 was the first comic I ever bought, one chilly Saturday afternoon in Gary, Indiana.

You gotta admit it does have a striking, uncomplicated cover that would appeal to any 9 year old.

My distant recollection is that I thumbed through several of those comics pictured here and on Sunday's blog, and ultimately, this one had the most action. Action being fighting. I liked fighting in my comics. I can tell you that FF 97 had practically zip, nada, zero fighting. That's probably why I didn't buy along with the sappy ass cover of a bunch of old folks having a picnic.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I suspect that Mike (Murdoch) the Actuary is trapped in DM's cellar being forced to endlessly stream Noggin the Nog on his tablet.

That should kill him off.

But DM, if you needs tips. let me know. You probably don't know this but Charlie used to have a twin brother as well.

Anonymous said...

Did he read your "chess mags" too Charlie, or whatever it is you call them over there?

-sean

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Sean - I have no idea about what the heck "chess mags" are. I mean, other than magazines about the game chess, only Mike Murdoch the Actuary, twin of Dangermash, can fill us in!

I think I'd go with Noggin the Nog non-stop videos for a few days. That'd do him in!

Actually, they are not so bad. I leave them running in the background at work. Something about your British accent that makes us Americans think the world may be OK again... once Bonespur tongues Boris.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about it Charlie - it doesn't seem like "chess mags" is going to catch on and run like the dachshund thing. Forget I mentioned it.

How mean-spirited of you to have a go at Boris Johnson while he's in intensive care.
I bet "herd immunity" isn't look like such a good idea to him after all right now! (Yes, I am mean-spirited too).

-sean

Steve W. said...

I love Noggin the Nog - and Ivor the Engine.

Obviously, they couldn't compare to The Clangers but, then, nothing could.

Anonymous said...

Not sure what Charlie's got against Noggin the Nog Steve. If he thinks it tortuous I can only assume there are many British programmes he hasn't seen!
Like anything with Rod Hull and Emu.

(And obviously that should be "doesn't" rather than "isn't" in my previous comment. Duh.)

-sean

Steve W. said...

Next he'll be attacking Muffin the Mule.

And, as we all know, everyone loves Muffin the Mule.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Hey Mates... next on my list is Catweazle! But it isn't a cartoon. Nor is Champion the Wonderhorse... and anyhow that originated here.

I might just stick with my Noggin the Nog thing for a while!

Redartz said...

Steve- if memory serves me, that Chamber of Darkness tale was intended as a Conan tryout. Seems like they even reprinted it in a Conan magazine at some point.

Afraid Noggins, Muffins and Catweazles go right over my head. But hey, you all did introduce me to Roobarb!

Killdumpster said...

Hmmm. Being a fan of animation, you folks have peaked my interest in finding out more about the UK cartoons you've mentioned.

My only experience with British animation came from watching tv with my girlfriend's son in the early to mid-eighties. Danger Mouse, Banana Man, and...UGH...Paddington Bear.