Sunday 1 November 2020

Fifty years ago this month - November 1970.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon.

***

I don't normally associate Miss World with high drama but it certainly was in November 1970.

That's because it was stricken by not one but two setbacks.

The first was that, even as Bob Hope hosted it in London's Royal Albert Hall, the glitz and glamour was disrupted by Women's Lib protesters.

The second was The Angry Brigade lived up to their name by leaving a bomb outside the venue, in protest at separate black and white contestants having been chosen to represent South Africa.

But The Angry Brigade weren't the only ones who were fed up. For it was also the month in which The American Indian Movement seized a replica of The Mayflower in Boston.

Possibly not so irate were the people of the UK who were having to make sure they'd offloaded all their ten-shilling notes, as they ceased to be legal tender, in yet another move towards decimalisation.

I must confess I've no memory at all of the ten-shilling note and have no clue just how common or uncommon they were.

What I do have a memory of is The Goodies, that TV comedy show which was effectively Monty Python for kids. The series made its debut, on BBC Two, that month and quickly became a favourite with the public, even if it's not necessarily stood the test of time as well as it might have.

Avengers #82, Daredevil

By means that are blurry to me, Aries has taken over New York City and sealed it off from the outside world.

Come to think of it, hasn't he done it by gassing everyone while they're asleep, so they've awoken to find their city occupied by his mercenary army?

Not that it matters, because Daredevil's on hand to help the Avengers deal with the fiend. Aries might fancy his chances against the world's mightiest super-team but what hope does he have against a blind acrobat?
Captain America #131, Baron Strucker and Bucky

That cad Baron Strucker finds an amnesiac youth, somewhere or other, and hypnotises him into thinking he's Bucky.

Strucker, of course, then uses this fake Bucky to lure Cap into a trap.

But is he a fake Bucky?

Daredevil #70

It would appear a movie mogul decides he needs to take violent action against those he deems un-American.

Apparently, that's what happens. I've no recall of this tale at all.

But it looks like it's bad news for DD.

Fantastic FOur #104, Magneto and the Sub-Mariner

The multi-part epic comes to its conclusion as Magneto seizes control of New York and...

...hold on a minute. Aries has also seized control of New York. How can they both have seized control of New York at the same time and why does neither seem to have noticed the presence of the other?

Anyway, this half of the New York Invasion Equation is thwarted by Reed Richards who invents a gun that turns Magneto's power against him.

Seemingly, Reed has no interest in doing anything about Aries' invasion.

Incredible Hulk #133, Draxon the dictator

It's one of my Hulk faves, as the green globetrotter finds himself having to play the part of a golem, in order to liberate a tiny country from the clutches of Draxon the dictator.


I have no recollection of this one at all but it sees the introduction of Kevin O'Brien, so it has some kind of historical significance.

Amazing Spider-Man #90, the death of George Stacy

I definitely have a recollection of this one. You'd need a heart of stone not to be traumatised by it, as George Stacy dies trying to save a child from a falling chimney stack.

And, now, more than ever, the world is convinced that Spider-Man is a menace.

Thor #182, Dr Doom

Speaking of menaces, Dr Doom decides to hire the services of Donald Blake, in the belief the physician can perform the surgery needed to rebuild his face.

Of course, it's all a ruse by Thor to gain access to Latveria and rescue a scientist that Doom's holding prisoner.

Given Doom's Marvel ubiquity, it does seem amazing that it's taken this long for Thor to actually come up against him.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

"But is he a fake Bucky?"

Yes he is Steve.
Was that not inevitable enough for you? He was a robot, built for Modok by Dr Doom (at least he didn't turn out to be Rick Jones).
And thats a fake Baron Strucker who was also robot, this time built by Machinesmith, as revealed by Roger Stern and John Byrne in a later issue of Cap discussed recently in this very blog.

The ten bob note was replaced by the 50p coin, so I guess it must have been fairly common.

-sean

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Apart from Spider-Man, this feels like a sub par month. The FF cover looks exciting but the immediate post Kirby issues must have been a bit depressing.

Killdumpster said...

The only books I was able to pickup was the Thor & the FF.

I guess technically Thor HAD met before, but only years later. Talk about "back to the future".

There was that "lost" Avengers tale that supposively took place between issues #1 & #2. Think it's called Avengers #1.5. Hulk was still on the team, and they fought Doom.

I know that doesn't count, but I just mentioned it because it's a REALLY good book.

Redartz said...

Yes, that Amazing Spider-Man issue was monumental. Great art as Gil Kane has recently come on the book as penciller, with Romita adding his flawless inks. Great combination there.
I always loved appearances by Dr. Octopus, but the ending to this tale shook me. With hindsight, it must have REALLY shaken me, as it ended up being the last Marvel comic I'd buy for almost 4 years. But it also was one of the first back issues I grabbed upon becoming a collector.

We know that Gwen's death turned Charlie off the book. Those Stacy sure got into your head...

Anonymous said...

Don't set Charlie off, Red...

-sean

Anonymous said...

I would agree this wasn't a terribly impressive month except for the Spider-Man issue.
The first issue of ASM I ever read was #50, when I was a peewee. So I hadda discover the Romita Sr./Gil Kane era of Spider-Man much later through Marvel Tales and the occasional back issue. Both great artists, but Romita's stuff was so smooth, like flawless.

M.P.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I must say, I remember the Avengers, Cap, and FF covers on the spinner when I was a wee lad. And in today's vernacular, I found the Avengers and FF covers to be "lit" lol. Still dig those two covers!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Just curious...

Looking at the Iron Man cover, his armor is more body-tight than the pair of LuLu Lemon yoga pants I bought my now-former wife this past xmas.

Anyhow, are any of you aware of the Don Heck Iron Man being drawn on these types of covers? I would really enjoy seeing the yellow/gold Iron Man replaced by the original.

I often see renditions of silver-age covers tweaked in some way by current artists in various silver-age facebook pages so I wonder if this concept has been done?

(The closest I have to this in my collection is a Don Heck drawing of Sue Richards in lingerie, lol.)

Charlie Horse 47 said...

So what was the reason Marvel gave for killing off Captain Stacy? Was it as lame as Conway's for killing off Gwen: "I was just to lazy to think of what to do for a few issues so I'd figured I'd kill her."

Can we say that this is where the House of Ideas starts becoming the House of Murder?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Charlie, Iron Man does appear to be wearing a set of metal nut-huggers there.
Reminds me of my high school gym teacher's khaki shorts. I gave that guy a wide berth.
This is not necessary; the guy is in a suit of armor so draw him like that. It's not supposed to look like a body stocking.
Don Heck was pretty good at drawing Iron Man like he actually looked like he was wearing armor. He made him sorta bulky. It kinda LOOKED like armor.

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Don Heck, Charlie? You mentioned once before that you had a somewhat revealing drawing of Sue by Dick Ayers... How many racy pics of her have you got?

-sean

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Sean - I just have the one pic... I think. (Truth is I can't recall if I even bought it at this point, and I don't want to ask Alexa or Google if I did! Comic book shows, spinner racks, reading Buyers Guide for Comic Fandom religiously... it's all one big blur now.)

And. now that I read your remark again, I did say Don Heck when I meant Dick Ayers. I do have a signed repro by Ayers of Ghost Rider (cowboy) that I did see this past half year amongst my boxes of treasures. Geeze, my brain is turning to mush. Perhaps it was b/c I headed the ball a couple times a few hours ago playing soccer...?

MP- I'm with you. I want to see a Heck version of Iron Man drawn into these covers! Like a real Man of Iron not a man of tights with cuffs. Oddly (?) a decade or so later they would draw him looking more metallic / robotic / angular beyond a nose protrusion, lol.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Hey UK Gents! My local PBS station is showing a UK show called Cobra. Reminds me of Chicago this past summer with all the protesting, shooting, etc. Was this a popular show in the UK?

(Dangermash, I am just seeing the show now! You can google PBS Chicago Television Schedule! I did not plan this out in advance, lol!)

Anonymous said...

I must be the exception that proves the rule because I really like the immediate post Kirby Fantastic Four. Stan obviously wanted an A-lister to compensate for the Kirby sized hole in his creative team, and I thought Romita, and then Buscema, did a solid job. Admittedly, I first read these in The Titans and Captain Britain weekly, both of which hold special nostalgic value.

Aside, it shows how out of whack Marvel UK were with their scheduling of the material because this month's Hulk issue (#133) was reprinted in MMOW #98, simultaneously with FF #47. They hadn't even gotten to Galactus!

DW

Anonymous said...

Zero hour. It's 2 A.M.

What is the world gonna look like 48 hours from now?

M.P.

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Zero hour, 2am.

Why is it that William Shatner just popped into my head, smoking away on stage and performing Rocket Man?

Steve W. said...

Charlie, I'm not aware of the show Cobra.

I'm assuming it's based on the real-life Cobra, which is an emergency committee chaired by the Prime Minister during times of national crisis.

Having said that, the current Prime Minister's notorious for not turning up to Cobra meetings and has, allegedly, been known to fall asleep during them. I really do hope that was in the show. The PM fast asleep, with his head down on the table, as the latest terrorist/flood/pandemic threat is urgently discussed would be awesome.

DW, I too prefer the immediate post-Kirby FF issues to the immediate late Kirby ones.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Steve - Michael Gove attends the Cobra meetings in Johnson's place.
Reassuring, no?

-sean

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Sean - I have read where writing / keeping a journal can help us with our troubles. Would you like to compose a poem with me about the deaths of the Stacy family????

Fantastic Four follower said...

Loved that Thor issue with Buscema at the top of his game.FF was in a strange limbo between Kirby and Buscema though I loved That cover.Hulk was always a good read but I found Ironman to be dare I say boring,not a word normally associated with Marvel.Avengers were never better,absolutely 10 out of 10 and Spiderman was entering a golden era which lasted until #138(in my opinion).Issue 90 being a highpoint in the series.Truly we were blessed to buy comics at this time.Magical.Keep up your great work.

Killdumpster said...

FF #104 was an easy "fast-grab". The cover was excellent. Full team, great villains (I know Namor revolted against Magneto in that storyline), and WOMEN IN CAGES! Guess I was a 8 yr old sexist. Lol.

Just remembered I had a t-shirt with the cover of Thor #182 on it.

An Army/Navy shop had a row of comics-cover shirts, that I looked at while my father was shopping for camo and/or ammo. I was 10/11. The shop caught fire one night, so they had a fire-sale later that week. The comics t-shirts were 25 cents apiece, and my dad told me to pick out 4. I got the Thor, the "Trial Of The Hulk" , and 2 Subby shirts. The issue where he was grappling with Doom, and the "first" appearance of the Defenders (Subby, Hulk, and Surfer).

Those were cool t-shirts. Don't know who made them. After the collars and armpits ripped out, my mom sewed them into pillows for me.

By the way, Steve, do you believe it counts that years later in Avengers #1.5 that Thor met Doom before #182.

Oh, the time paradox! Lol.

Anonymous said...

I shall have to decline your offer Charlie. Partly because I haven't read that issue of Amazing Spidey, or #121, but mainly because I just don't care anyway.

To prove I'm not completely heartless though, allow me to wish you lot good luck after tomorrow. Sounds like you might need it.
I hear the liberal metropolitan elite are going to try and win by making sure every vote is counted, the cheaters!

-sean

Steve W. said...

KD, I don't personally acknowledge the canonicity of Avengers #1.5. Mostly because all that continuity-mangling hurts my head.

Thanks, FFf. :)

Sean, the presence of Michael Gove always reassures me that we're in safe hands. :(

Charlie Horse 47 said...

As long as we are talking comics, and KD brought up canonicity, can anyone tell me if at some point Marvel had Osborne acknowledge he was killing the mother of his twins when he threw her off the bridge?

Gosh... why couldn't Gwen have been a robot instead, thrown off the bridge. These last several reviews by Steve clearly show us that robots where quite in vogue with Marvel.

Sean - there have been like over 500 attempts by all parties and actors since the beginning to get rid of the stupid forking electoral college. Even the founding fathers thought it was a joke. It was there to appease slave states. Slaves could not vote (duh) but them dam rebels had to feel they counted for something. So they negotiated a slave value of 3/5 of a human being and counted them toward electoral college votes and the house of representatives. At least that's my recall of how God gave the Constitution to America 230 years ago or so.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think that was a Doombot in Avengers 1.5.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Dangermash, you made me laugh.
But it's somewhat disturbing to think I might be channeling William Shatner.
If he's in my head what else is he making me do?!
Am I gonna start making prank phone calls to George Takei? Maybe put out a spoken word jazz record?

K.D., when my brother and I were pretty small back in the early '70's our Ma bought us a Spider-Man and a Hulk T-shirt, like the kind you used to see in the ads. I can't remember which one of us had which.
Then she stuck 'em in the drier and it was all over. Goodnight Irene.
I'm still a little pissed about it.
She did that with my sailor cap too!

M.P.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Speaking of comic apparel, Is their anyone here who doesn't wish they had that green Captain Marvel sweatshirt Marvel promoted in the late 60s, along with one with the Hulk pulling a duck on a string???

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I remember that one. You'd think somebody would be making these things again.
There's gotta be a market. It could be a whole cottage industry.
The hipsters would find it ironic and aging comic nerds like us would by 'em for the sake of sentimentality.

M.P.

B Smith said...

Actually, the Miss World 1970 had three problems.

The third was Lionel Blair and his Dancers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms_tg9CKsC0

Steve W. said...

B, that was truly spectacular.

And I've just discovered Lionel is still with us, even though he always seemed to be on the elderly side, even when I was a child.