Sunday 22 August 2021

Swamp Thing #23 - "No Sabre -- don't kill him!"

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

Swamp Thing #23, Sabre
In my youth, I only ever owned one issue of Swamp Thing.

And this is it. Issue #23. Bernie Wrightson's long gone and so has Len Wein but, in their place, we have Nestor Redondo, and Gerry Conway of Gwen Stacy murdering infamy.

So, what sort of mischief can happen in a swamp when that pair is in charge?

This kind of mischief. A man called Sabre's out to get the Swamp Thing.

Sabre's a man with a serious dose of The Grim Reapers, having a sword at the end of his arm and a lust for vengeance in his heart.

It seems it was the Swamp Thing who cost him his hand and now he intends to make the monster pay.

Unfortunately, for him, his employers the Colossus organisation are having none of that. They want him to capture Swampy alive, so they can have access to the scientific secrets that only his alter-ego Alec Holland can possess.

That's assuming, of course, that there's even going to be a Swamp Thing to capture, as our hero's suddenly remembered he has a brother called Edward who's also a scientist and who, therefore, may be able to help him find a cure for his condition. 

It does seem odd that it's taken twenty-three issues for him to think of this but there you go. I suppose life's filled with distractions when you're a vegetable.

Swamp Thing #23 Ruth Monroe
Swampy drops in on his brother, pausing only to give his glamorous lab assistant Ruth Monroe a fainting fit and then, together, the trio get to work.

One huge, multi-page dollop of exposition, that recaps the Swamp Thing's origin, later and they've cracked it. They're ready to work the scientific magic that'll turn a monster back into a man. You can't help feeling Bruce Banner should pay these people a visit.

Swamp Thing #23, Sabre gatecrashes the pool party
But, just as the process is starting to work, Sabre shows up and starts attacking everyone in sight, which turns out not to be such a bright idea, as it promptly leads to his death in a fiery inferno that, happily does the good guys no harm at all and, as the tale reaches its conclusion, the Swamp Thing is no more and Alec Holland is a man restored.

And now, because you the reader asked for it, a whole new era can begin in the saga of the Swamp Thing!

One that I'm assuming will involve Holland being able to turn into the creature whenever he needs to.

Granted, I don't know for a fact that that's the plan but I'm struggling to see what the new direction could be if that's not the case, unless they're planning on retitling the book Alec Holland.

Swamp Thing #23, Alec Holland lives again!
Whatever the truth of the matter, sadly, it's not going to be a very long era, as the series notches up just one more issue after this, before cancellation, suggesting that any wonders this issue's events were supposed to weave for the circulation figures failed to materialise.

Oh well. You can't win them all. So, does the series at least penultimate with style?

I'd say so. For the most part. As you'd expect with Redondo on pencils, it's a beautifully drawn tale, with Alec's new love-interest Ruth being particularly stylishly drawn.

When it comes to the writing, it's hard not to feel you've stumbled upon a significant issue; even though it's quite a slight one, clearly there to let new readers catch up, and to set things up for the future, rather than be a story in its own right.

Easily the weakest element is the villain Sabre who is, frankly, an ineffectual moron and proves to be more of a nuisance than a genuine threat.

Still, at least next issue, we're promised a big yellow monster for our plucky trio to have to fend off. So, that should feel a little more high stakes.

Swamp Thing #23, Ruth Monroe faints dead away

20 comments:

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve, Philip - Thank you for the links yesterday. Very entertaining! (Well... not sure how else one would describe it?)

Anonymous said...

Sabre - not dissimilar to Razorfist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDPU8FL1rSg

Or that crested, golden Robot, Ms.Marvel fought onboard Old Ironsides:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Ms._Marvel_Vol_1_13?file=Ms._Marvel_Vol_1_13.jpg


Phillip

Anonymous said...

I have many thoughts on SWAMP THING #23 (well, a FEW)…

Clearly, the Powers That Were at DC were grasping at straws, desperately trying to keep the Swamp Thing comic afloat. One wonders how they thought a Swamp Thing-less SWAMP THING comic could have been sustainable (or even appealing, for that matter). Sure, I bought the next issue, but I’m a weirdo!

I just now refreshed my memory by peeking ahead to #24 and it’s somewhat enertertaining to watch them twist themselves into knots trying to have it both ways. Among the ‘NEW’ elements are a cabal of costumed super-villains — shockingly, Sabre in his Destructor/Razor-fist/Killraven outfit is back, seemingly no worse for wear after his (on-panel) mmolation in the previous issue, but he mostly sits on the sidelines as an ugly yellow Hulk-looking dude called Thrudvang is dispatched to capture Holland. The creative team surely know that any fan flipping through the comic at the newsstand would be wondering why the title character was nowhere to be found inside (and therefore likely to spend that quarter on some other comic), so in order to show some images of Swampy in his prime, there are lots of little flashbacks to events from previous issues (including the splash page). My favorite bit of shamelessness is a big panel of Swampy trading punches with Thrudvang while Holland thinks,’This is how I WOULD defeat this guy if I were still Swamp Thing!’ I do admire their cheek.

So they (kinda/sorta) managed to squeak through one entire issue of Swamp Thing-less SWAMP THING, at least. The ‘Next Issue’ blurb on the last page promises ‘HAWKMAN VS. SWAMP THING!’ and i really have to wonder how they would have pulled that off without Holland reverting to his Swampy form. Holland surviving his battle with the Strong But Stupid Thrudvang was just barely plausible, but Holland Vs The Winged Super-Cop from Thanagar and his trusty mace…? Alas, it was not to be — the title was cancelled.

Then again, maybe not so ‘alas’. Nestor Redondo moved on after #23, replaced by Ernie Chan and Fred Carrillo. The art on #24 isn’t bad, not at all, but not nearly up to Redondo’s standard. So chances are, I probably would have stopped buying the book at that point, if it has continued.

One last thought: Steve’s how is it that #23 was the first and only issue of SWAMP THING you ever bought back in the day? Was it that ‘NEW’ logo on the cover that enticed you? Or was it the spandex and hip-booted Supervillain? Maybe you flipped thru it, saw those first few pages of the New Girl in her white halter and bell-bottoms? Ol’ Nestor definitely knew how to draw gorgeous ladies….

b.t.

Anonymous said...

I'd say Thrudvang was an even weaker element than Sabre, Steve, but to be fair I guess he doesn't come to the fore til the next issue.

Nestor Redondo was an amazing artist, and while it could be argued he wasn't quite right for a horror comic its hard to think of anyone else who could have followed Wrightson (and anyway, Swamp Thing had become more of a sci-fi/superhero series by this point).

But you were a bit too kind about the writing imo, which was just a string of 70s comic book cliches. I found the idea of curing the Swamp Thing by simply reversing his origin particularly annoying, even back then - it doesn't have to be as clever as planarian worms, but at least give us some comic book "science" bullsh*t to explain it.
It felt like Micheline couldn't really be bothered to put in much effort, that he was simply wrapping things up with an ending in time for cancellation.

Hard to know what was intended though, as #24 had a new creative team... just in time to complicate things before Swampy headed into comic book limbo.
Although it wasn't long before Gerry Conway bought the character back - with the last few issues of his comic officially excised from the continuity - in Challengers Of The Unknown.

-sean

Anonymous said...

b.t., cheekily misleading cover notwithstanding, I actually think sticking with Alec Holland for the whole of the next issue is the one thing you can say in its favour.
Alan Moore did something similar after "killing off" the character at the end of Saga Of ST #53, although ST #24 didn't keep you guessing anywhere near as much - writer David Kraft made it pretty obvious the cure wasn't permanent and Holland was going to revert to being Swamp Thing.

Btw, replacing hands with swords... whats the thinking behind that? Some things are probably awkward enough for Sabre, but you really have to wonder about the surgeon who decided Razorfist needed to have BOTH hands replaced.
Thats got to make even some basic bodily functions quite tricky...

-sean

Anonymous said...

This is a whole plate of mid-Seventies D.C. cheesy, right here.
Although I do dig the art and I'll give points to D.C. Comics for at least TRYING to be weird (by which I mean interesting).
I salute the effort.
As always, Steve, I enjoy these one-issue reviews of obscure D.C comics, and it seems to be a hit with everybody!
I really love those D.C. covers from this period, with that strip, or banner, or I dunno what to call it, across the top. Y'know, with the D.C. bullet in the center and figures or faces on either side and maybe a blurb: "This is the big one!" And then there was "D.C. Comics salutes the Bicentennial."
D.C. packed a lotta excitement in the top two inches of every cover, and it always makes me sentimental when I look at them.

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Anyone watch the 'Swamp Thing' movie, with Louis Jordan (French actor)? Tongue -in-cheek', to say the least!

Phillip

Colin Jones said...

Steve, if the '50 Years ago' post moves to a Thursday what about the 'Marvel UK 40 Years Ago' post which is currently on a Thursday? You did say that you intend to end that one though.

Phil, have you seen the BBC's 'Count Dracula' starring Louis Jourdan as Dracula? It was originally broadcast at Christmas 1977.

Anonymous said...

Colin - I think Steve's intending to swap the position of the two, so Charlie's Cap # 141 (or is it # 140?) gets the full attention it deserves! It sounds like Cap # 141 must be an absolutely incredible issue - I'm on the edge of my seat, already!

I think 40 years ago will be consigned to the dustbin when Marvel UK self-destructs, which - admittedly - happens quite soon! For the next three months, however, some of the monthly comics are still very good.

Colin - Strangely, I don't remember Louis Jourdan as Drac. In '77, I was probably engrossed in my Marvel Annuals & Marvel playing cards. I do remember Jordan in one of the weaker James Bond movies. He's good at a certain kind of humour, but isn't menacing in the slightest.

Phillip

Anonymous said...

Steve - Thanks for the Swamp Thing review. The time & effort to put it together must have been considerable!

Phillip

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve-heck of a review buddy! Enjoyed it immensely. (I was not an ST reader
In my youth but I’m thinking to get a stack from the library!)

Steve W. said...

Thanks, Charlie, Phillip and MP.

Colin and Phillip, yes, I shall move that particular Marvel UK post to the nearest Sunday. I shall be ending the Marvel UK summaries in the autumn of 2022 in honour of the 50th anniversary of the launch of Marvel UK.

I remember Louis Jourdan as Dracula but only in a fuzzy kind of way.

I've seen both the 1980s Swamp Thing movies. I prefer the second one to the first.

Sean and bt, Thrudvang certainly looked the part, although I've yet to read his epic encounter with Alec.

Bt, it was the only issue I ever had because it was the only issue I ever encountered. The Distribution Pixies who delivered US comics to British shores seemed to have a serious malfunction when it came to Swampy's mag.

Anonymous said...

Steve:
I had a feeling that was the case, knowing how spotty (if not totally random) the distribution of American comics was in the UK. Even though distribution here in the States was often hit-and-miss (it seemed like a rare thing to get four consecutive issues of ANY title, in my area at leasrpt) I was actually pretty dang lucky when it came to Swamp Thing — from my first issue (#8) to the last (#24) , I only missed two (#11 and 12). The rest I managed to acquire from various spinner racks at drug stores, liquor stores and supermarkets.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Now I think about it, the issue before this one - #22 - was the first Swamp Thing I ever got, and the next was actually a good few years later when I found a Dollar Comic reprint of three Wrightson issues.
Coincidentally enough, that wasn't long after I got the then new book The Studio, which was my introduction to the artists in it other than Barry Smith (I never came across any Kaluta Shadows in the wild at the time either).

It seemed easier to find the next series, although I didn't care much for the couple I tried before the Moore era. By then of course comic shops made things easier.

-sean

Anonymous said...

I've seen that movie a couple times, Phil!
To me, Louis Jordan as the diabolical Anton Arcane is the main reason to watch it. Louis seemed like he was having a good time, playing the villain to the hilt in that cheesy movie.
I've liked that guy since he was in Octopussy.
There was a T.V. series for a while that was even cheesier.
They used to show reruns on this oldies channel, late at night, and I've seen a few episodes.

Thanks a lot, insomnia.

M.P.

Anonymous said...

A buddy and I saw the first Swamp Thing movie in a multi-plex, thought it was bloody awful, and while the credits were rolling we sneaked into another theatre to get our money’s worth. Only time in my life I ever did that, swear to Zod!

b.t.

Colin Jones said...

'Count Dracula' starring Louis Jourdan has been shown several times since 1977 but I last watched it on YouTube a few years ago - however the version I watched (the only one I could find on YouTube) had Portugese subtitles which was annoying and distracting at first but I soon got used to them.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the days when you could sneak into cinemas. And you used to be able to smoke... in some, smoke anything!
Actually, I haven't been to a cinema at all for quite a while... ):

-sean

Colin Jones said...

The last film I saw in the cinema was 'Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves' in 1991 - THIRTY YEARS AGO!

You know it's true
Everything I do
I do it for you...

Colin Jones said...

On the subject of films...and Dracula: apparently a film is being made about the voyage of the Demeter from the Black Sea to Whitby which is by far the best bit of Bram Stoker's novel. The Demeter's crew starts disappearing one by one and they soon realise that something evil is on board with them. In my opinion the novel 'Dracula' is good in parts (and extremely tedious in other parts) and far, far too long but the voyage of the Demeter is genuinely blood-curdling.