Thursday 8 December 2022

December 9th, 1972 - Marvel UK, 50 years ago this week.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

Here in the present, the World Cup is on and many triumphant players will, no doubt, claim to be over the moon.

However, this week in 1972, a trio of men were soon to be literally over that object.

Those men were the crew of Apollo 17, destined to be the last manned moon mission for many a decade.

But they weren't alone because the mission also included five mice. I'm not sure what those were there for but I fear they were doomed to be disappointed when they reached their destination and discovered it isn't made of cheese.

Also disappointed, that week, was Imelda Marcos who was stabbed and seriously wounded by an assailant.

On the UK singles chart, there was no change, as Chuck Berry retained his Number One spot, thanks to the awesome power of his Ding-A-Ling.

While, over on the British album chart, there was also no change, with its summit retained by Various Artists' 25 Rockin' and Rollin' Greats.

I may not be a huge fan of that Chuck Berry single but these are the tracks of which I did approve, from that week's singles chart:

Crazy Horses - the Osmonds

Gudbuy T'Jane - Slade

Crocodile Rock - Elton John

Leader of the Pack {1972} - the Shangri-Las

Nights in White Satin - the Moody Blues

Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - John and Yoko and the Plastic Ono Band with the Harlem Community Choir

In a Broken Dream - Python Lee Jackson

and

C Moon - Wings.

For those who wish to research the subject in greater depth, that week's UK singles chart can be found here.

While the corresponding album chart resides right here.

Mighty World of Marvel #10

Despite the cover's proud boast that the Hulk finds himself up against the might of Tyrannus and his subterranean hordes, he, in fact, finds himself up against General Fang and his Himalayan hordes.

Fortunately, being smarter than anyone else in the story, the Hulk soon defeats them by dressing up as the Abominable Snowman.

In the middle of the comic, Spider-Man's still waging his first-ever battle against the Sandman - and only Henry the Hoover can save him!

And, thanks to Dr Doom's quest for treasure, the Fantastic Four have been sent back to the days of Blackbeard.

They can easily deal with pirates but can they prevent the Thing from turning against them?

And, yes, ten issues into its run, the book is still going on about the poster it's been going on about since issue #1. I'm starting to wonder if the current issue of Mighty World of Marvel is still going on about it in 2022.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keith Richards did a wonderful rendition of Chuck Berry’s “My Ding a Ling!” Didn’t he?

Spirit of 64 said...

This was my first ever Marvel....I never read comics, found them boring, but had this bought for me to look at while waiting at the Doctor's. I could not understand why the US army was after the Hulk, who was supposed to be a hero, so my curiosity piqued I actually started reading the comic. From then on I became a dyed in the wool marvelite, and still have that comic from 50 year ago. It was a real golden age, discovering Marvel from its origins, but then also being able to sample actual US comics when you could find them. On holidays to Italy I discovered I discovered the wonderful editoriale corno editions ( two full stories, plus a kirby/ ditko suspense story, plus next issue cover advert at the back to keep you excited), which were another time machine as they were a few years on from the British Marvels.
Thanks for the nostalgia trip, and the Starlin/Sinnott covers is still one of my favourites.

Spirit of 64 said...

Also the Thing turning against his pals and wanting to remain Blackbeard rather than returning to the present was another eye-opener. These comics were different!

Anonymous said...

It was the age of the anti-hero!
That title meant something back then, but I dunno what it would mean today.

M.P.

Steve W. said...

Spirit of 64, when I was eight, Marvel's Silver Age comics seemed incredibly dark to me, with their monsters who were heroes, and their alien invaders. As a horror fan, it definitely made them seem extra compelling to me.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

COLIN - Where are your timely posts on the pop charts with Xmas tune rankings we are so used to seeing!

As always, Charlie wants to know if any of the Fab 4 are breaking into the charts again with Having a Wonderful Christmas Time and So This Is Christmas!

Last night our Ukulele group played a bunch of Xmas favorites set to Beatles songs. Some were not well known, though, like "North Pole Man" set to "Nowhere Man" lol.



Charlie

Anonymous said...

Every Holiday Season, the missus and I like to drive around town to check out the Xmas lights, and we usually do so while listening to Xmas tunes on the radio. John Lennon’s ‘Happy Xmas’ is probably our least favorite — when it comes on in rotation, we just turn off the radio and enjoy the companionable quiet. Seriously, we can tolerate Mariah Carey, George Michael and other purveyors of Khristmas Kitsch, but the Lennon song is just a bummer.

I like this Starlin / Sinnott cover (well, Sue looks a little odd, but still)

b.t.

Anonymous said...

'Happy Xmas (War is Over)', 'Nights in White Satin'... oh dear Steve. I realise theres not much to choose from in either of those charts, but you always the option of silence.

Still, at least you didn't approve of 'Little Drummer Boy' by the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards...

-sean

Anonymous said...

I've always been partial to Bob Seger's "Little Drummer Boy". It gets me every time.
I may be an agnostic, but I ain't made of stone, y'know.

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Is that irony there, M.P.?

-sean

Anonymous said...

...Heck, I don't even know when I'm being ironic anymore.
If I am, it's probably unintentional at this point.

M.P.

McSCOTTY said...

Not the best charts with most decent songs dropping (Python Lee Jackson etc) but some classics entering the top 40 with T-Rex, Solid gold easy action and Bowies Jean Genie ( so Sweets Blockbuster with a similar riff won't be far behind).I also have a soft spot for Chris Montez' "Let's Dance" tune.

Anonymous said...

I sympathize, M.P. I just had a look at a video of Bob Seger doing 'Little Drummer Boy', and he obviously really meant it, man. It was so irony free that it seemed to have gone full circle, and met post-modernism coming the other way (as if he'd been trying to catch David Bowie and Bing Crosby in a cunning trap).

Who knows what it all means?

-sean

Anonymous said...

Even in this cynical age, Sean, I think it's okay to take things at face value once in a while.
Who amongst us doesn't secretly yearn for the innocence of childhood? Particularly at Christmas?
Then again, I often don't know what the hell I'm talking about, after I've had a few beers on a Friday night.

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Dunno about yearning for the innocence of childhood at Christmas M.P., but I'm generally up for a few beers on a Friday night.
So slainte - and pah-ruppa-pum-pum - to you.

-sean

Anonymous said...

I have come to enjoy Lennon’s “Merry Little Christmas” as the years pass. Not too polished… sounds sincere. Plus with the release of the Series “Got Back” and other video out there Yoko Ono is clearly not, nor ever was, the Dragon Lady. As an aside some of her solo stuff is quite listenable.

Steve W. said...

Charlie, you'll be thrilled to hear that both Lennon and McCartney are in this week's UK Top 40, with their Christmas offerings.

The current UK singles chart can be found here: https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/

As you can see, it's packed solid with Yuletide goodness.

MP, I don't think I've ever heard Bob Seger's Little Drummer Boy on the radio. I suspect it's too overshadowed by Bing and Bowie's version to get played.

Anonymous, I actually think I prefer Yoko's tracks to John's on Double Fantasy.

McScotty, call me a heretic but I do prefer Blockbuster to Jean Genie.

Bt, and Sean, thanks for your comments too. :)

Steve W. said...

I've just checked and there are at least 44 Christmas songs in the UK Top 100, and 5 in the Top 10.

Anonymous said...

Yoko Ono made some fantastic records, Steve. The 12" remix of 'Walking On Thin Ice' 12" is really good.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=92W6uLVQPlI

Apparently Lennon had the master tape with him when he was shot. That was a close one - luckily it didn't get hit.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Charlie had a very fun encounter last night! He met an elderly Brit who was at the first several Top of The Pops. He was at University of Manchester at the time. He said the show was filmed in Manchester so the organizers would round up students to come in and dance. Sure as shit he shows me photos (and youtube link) if him dancing in front of Mick Jagger! . But more importantly, ToP would mean nothing to me but for the cultural enlightenment that takes place here! And i would not be here were it not for SDC co-hosting BitBA 5 (!) years ago!