Sunday 28 April 2024

Hammer Horror, won't leave me alone.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell poster.
A wise man once said, "It's Hammer Time!"

An even wiser one said, "It's Clobbering Time!"

Right now, it's only one of those times.

And clobbering, it isn't.

When did the power and majesty of Hammer films first enter my life?

It would have been some time in the early 1970s.

After the 10 o'clock news, every Friday, Yorkshire Television had a slot called Appointment With Fear in which it would show a film guaranteed to freeze the spine of the hardest man.

Sometimes, that movie would be an Amicus production, or even a Tigon one. Whisper it quietly but even American International pictures were allowed to be shown.

But, for the most part, it would be a spawn of Hammer which was transmitted to send us to bed in a state of panic and hypertension, ready for the weekend.

Hammer wasn't always a company associated with horror, having debuted in 1935 with The Public Life of Henry the Ninth and being happy to churn out films about seemingly anything but, in 1955, it suddenly saw the light and gave us its adaptation of the BBC's classic TV serial The Quatermass Xperiment, starring an arguably miscast Brian Donlevy as a British rocket scientist who can't stop blundering into menaces from space.

That was followed, the following year, by X the Unknown, a Quatermass movie in every regard except there being no sign of Quatermass in it.

But it was in 1957 that the company entered the field of Gothic horror by unleashing the Peter Cushing and Christoper Lee led Curse of Frankenstein. Suddenly, a cinematic legend had found the direction that would lead to its route to immortality.

Throughout the late 1950s, 1960s and early 1970s, Hammer churned out horror films on a production line, giving us such thrills as Dracula Prince of Darkness, Frankenstein Must be Destroyed, The Reptile, The Gorgon, The Mummy, Curse of the Werewolf, The Two Faces of Dr Jekyll, Kiss of the Vampire and dozens of others. Nearly all of which seemed to feature Michael Ripper as whichever character was needed to warn the hero to not go anywhere near a big house.

Sadly, nothing sinister lasts forever, and, as British cinema's financial fortunes waned in the 1970s and picture houses began to close, so the company's output became sparser, with the last Hammer release being its 1979 remake of The Lady Vanishes which was most clearly not a horror film.

Nor was it a hit.

But its last horror outing was 1976's To the Devil a Daughter. That was an attempt to make a more contemporary style of thriller in the wake of Rosemary's Baby and The Omen but, without the familiar Hammer flourishes, it succeeded only in being boring.

The demise of Hammer as a movie production company saw a switch to television with the anthology shows Hammer House of Horror and Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense and there has, of course, been a modern revival of the brand, with films such as The Woman in Black and Let Me In being released with the Hammer label attached to them but nothing has quite evoked the distinctive aura the franchise wore so well in its heyday.

Therefore, because no one at all asked me for it, here's my own personal Top Ten of the Hammer films which bring me most pleasure.

10. The Abominable Snowman.
9. One Million Years BC.
8. Twins of Evil.
7. Vampire Circus.
6. Blood From the Mummy's Tomb.
5. Quatermass 2.
4. The Devil Rides Out.
3. Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde.
2. The Plague of the Zombies.
1. Quatermass and the Pit.

Startlingly, none of the On the Buses movies has made that list, horrifying though they may be. Nor has Up the Creek. Nor even Watch It, Sailor! I know. Do I have no sense at all?

Horror Express, The Creeping Flesh, The Blood on Satan's Claw, The Asphyx, The Ghoul, The Skull, Cry of the Banshee, The Blood Beast Terror and several others of that ilk were all disqualified for merely only masquerading as Hammer movies. 

There are, however, honourable mentions for such Hammer oddities as The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires in which Dracula meets the martial arts, The Witches in which Joan Fontaine manages to be terrorised by just about everyone she ever meets, Lust for a Vampire, These Are the Damned, Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter and, of course, The Lost Continent, a film which has the distinction of not featuring a continent of any sort, let alone a lost one. 

It does, however, have crab monsters, killer seaweed, a ship's hold packed with explosives, the Spanish Inquisition, the world's most irresponsible sea captain and a groovy theme song.

Good God above! What have I done? Why did I not put that at Number One?

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve, thank you for this very enlightening post. Coincidentally I was literally just looking at a list of the 100 greatest science fiction films by Rolling Stone magazine. They put quarter mass and the pit at number 29.

So is it a Science Fiction film or a horror film? I’m thinking of getting that DVD from the library this afternoon. But Charlie is more of a sci-fi dude than a horror dude and doesn’t wanna go down the path of non-stop blood and guts.

Help?

Anonymous said...

As an aside has anyone seen this highly regarded, 28-minute, black and white, French, sci-fi film from the early 1960s entitled La Jetee (The Pier or The Jetty)?

It’s on the youtube in a very nice version. ROLLING Stone listed it at #30 and QM and the Pit at #25. .


Steve W. said...

Charlie(?), Quatermass and the Pit is both a science fiction film and a horror film. But don't worry. It doesn't have any blood and guts in it. Its horror elements come from an air of building dread.

I must confess to never having seen the French film.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Yes, it was Charlie. Thanks Steve!

CHarlie has to give this Quartermass thing a try, then.

Also, since we have UK folks on the line... what's the deal with Bowie's The Man Who Fell to Earth which is ranked at 13 by RS? Worth a look?

Yes... Charlies could look at Rotten Tomatoes, etc. for approval ratings but Charlie prefers this venerable group's opinions to the mere internet's.

Anonymous said...

Steve! How is it possible that Hammer hasn’t turned up as a topic here before now?

Well anyway, from your list, VAMPIRE CIRCUS and DEVIL RIDES OUT would also be in my Top Ten Hammers list and I like TWINS OF EVIL , QUATERMASS 2, BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY’S TOMB and PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES a lot too. I think I might like THE REPTILE a bit more than PLAGUE, if only because the lovely Jacqueline Pearce gets a lot more screen-time in the former.

Not a fan of the Dracula pictures, then? Or the Frankensteins? DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE would be in my Top Ten, BRIDES OF DRACULA is probably the most beautiful Hammer film in terms of cinematography and production design, and I have way more affection for the ridiculous DRACULA A.D. 72. than I can easily explain.

b.t.

Matthew McKinnon said...

Charlie - Q&TP is amazing!

And the others are really good as well. Q2 is very dark.

Anonymous said...

Charlie, I’m not a Brit but I guess I can still weigh in on MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH (well, kinda). I used to like it a lot in my teens and twenties (my dope-smoking days) but I haven’t seen in it decades. It was considered pretty avant-garde and trippy back in the Long Ago. I should check it out next time it turns up on the Criterion Channel or Kanopy.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

b.t. - In the UK, Jacqueline Pearce = SERVALAN! (Blake's 7!)

Phillip

Anonymous said...

Phillip :

Oh, I know! I was tempted to call her Jacqueline ‘Servalan’ Pearce ;) I’ve only seen bits and pieces of BLAKE’S 7 but I’m aware of her ‘Sexy Space Bad Girl’ rep. But OMG she’s so purdy in THE REPTILE. Not when she’s…well, you know…

I’ve actually got 8 inch Mego figures of Sir Chris (as Dracula and ‘The Creature’ but not The Mummy), Peter Cushing, The Laughing Zombie and the Reptile on a shelf not six feet away, ready to pounce.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

A Hammer top ten without 'Prehistoric Women'?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJLaNgRghHQ

Or 'Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde'? And no Ingrid Pitt...?
Not sure how you managed that, Steve.
Mind you, I'd include 'Dracula 1972' in mine, so am I to be critical?

-sean

Anonymous said...

*so WHO am I to be critical?
Duh.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Charlie, have to seen '12 Monkeys'?
I'm not sure 'La Jetée' really needed to be remade with Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt...

-sean

Matthew McKinnon said...

Man Who Fell To Earth is interesting for the first half but runs out of steam as it goes on. And it has a slightly annoying cooler-than-thou vibe which is a bit offputting.

You’d be much better off reading the book which is lovely - beautifully written, completely sincere and very sad.

Matthew McKinnon said...

I hated that film when it came out. I tried to give it another go earlier this year and still hated it.

Steve W. said...

Sean, Prehistoric Women certainly is a movie no viewer will ever forget.

Admittedly, I'd totally forgotten about it.

Bt, I'd always assumed I'd already done a post about Hammer films, but I then realised I hadn't.

The Dracula and Frankenstein movies are (mostly) fine but there are other Hammer films I prefer to them.

Charlie, I've not seen The Man Who Fell to Earth for about 40 years. It was watchable enough, back then. Whether it's stood the test of time, I couldn't say.

Colin Jones said...

Funnily enough I was thinking about the Hammer film 'Countess Dracula' just the other day. It was based on the real-life Hungarian countess Elizabeth Bathory who murdered young women and bathed in their blood because she thought it would keep her young (to be fair, they didn't have Oil Of Ulay in those days so what choice did she have?)

Lots of great Hammer films but a standout for me is 'Dracula, Prince Of Darkness' because Dracula doesn't speak at all during the film which makes him seem a lot scarier.

FUN FACT: In 'Brides Of Dracula' (1960) one of the female vampires is played by Andree Melly who had starred in 'Hancock's Half Hour' on BBC radio as Tony Hancock's girlfriend from 1955-56. Andree Melly was also the sister of George Melly, jazz singer and all-round celebrity.

Fantastic Four follower said...

Great subject.For me the greatest film was 'The Devil rides out',just perfect.It was the 1st film we watched on our brand new Black and white portable TV(Christmas 1975,thanks for asking).Allowed to watch TV in our bedroom was amazing(I was 35 at the time...only kidding 34!)Simpler times of course before video,DVD etc but it really made an impact.The pace of the film never let up.Other Hammer films had slow starts or padding but this was 100 miles an hour from the start.Sadly I have watched it too many times to consider watching it again but the happy memories remain.Always preferred the Dracula movies to the Frankensteins but Monster from Hell was the only Hammer I had missed and I was probably too old to have any sense of wonder when I finally saw it but it is a great film.Also the 2 Dracula movies set in London were brilliant and as a saturday treat is there a better adventure film than 'She'.We were spoilt growing up with Hammer films.Brilliant memories.Keep up the good work Steve.

Anonymous said...

B.t. - actually Hammer films get discussed frequently here though perhaps not deliberately? I never heard of them until SDC rode into my life.

Sean- i saw the La Jetee - 12 Monkeys comparison when i youtubed La Jetee.

I cant recall 12 Monkeys’ plot; just i thought it was pretty cool when I saw it 20 (?) years ago. And, i really only sense the slightest of similarities between the two.

Anonymous said...

OK, after rereading the plot synopsis to “12 monkeys “I can say that “La Jetee “is nothing more than the roughest of rough and rudimentary drafts for that movie.

Anonymous said...

Well, obviously 'La Jetée' had to be jazzed up quite a bit, Charlie.

I always assumed Terry Gilliam must have been into 'La Jetée', but he claims he'd never seen it; apparently Universal bought the remake rights and commissioned the screenplay before signing up a director (and somewhere along the line came up with the official 'inspired by...' credit).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Monkeys#Development

Seems there was recently a '12 Monkeys' tv series too! According to the wiki the producers of the film wanted to 'reimagine' it, got their hands on the script for a completely different sci-fi pilot with a time travel plot, had the writers adapt it to fit their requirements, and found a show runner who'd worked on two seasons of 'Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles' (so clearly well qualified for the job).
Not that I'm in any position to judge a tv show I haven't seen...

It does seem a bit mad that a fairly obscure mid 20th century French avant garde short should be the basis of a modern entertainment franchise.
Whatever next? Maybe Disney will give us a big budget version of Guy Debord's 'Hurlements en Faveur de Sade'...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurlements_en_faveur_de_Sade

-sean

Anonymous said...

Steve - I see you actually did have the good sense to include 'Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde' in your Hammer top ten. Not sure how I missed that (and it was very good of you not to point that out in your reply, and make me look like more of a tit).
Apologies.

-sean

Colin Jones said...

FF Follower, I got a b/w portable TV in 1979 when I was 13 so I agree that being able to watch TV in your own bedroom was amazing. I could watch whatever I wanted for the first time, such as Top Of The Pops.

Charlie, The Man Who Fell To Earth is very long and rather dull and arty so don't expect much action!

In case anyone doesn't know - Kate Bush had a song called 'Hammer Horror' from which Steve has quoted for this post's title.

Anonymous said...

My brother and I got a small b/w TV for our bedroom for Christmas in 1972. One of the first movies I remember watching on it was the TV premiere of FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED on The CBS Late Movie. The subject of our first TV sets came up at a perfect time, eh? :)

b.t.

Steve W. said...

Sean, I must confess I thought you were complaining about the fact that I had included Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde ahead of Ingrid Pitt's films.