Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon.
***
Let us tarry not... ...and leap straight into the action.
I detect the tale in which the Fantastic Four find themselves up against the Maggia - and having more trouble with them than you'd expect.
I shall declare that the whole idea of those villains turning up in the FF's book seems like near-heresy. Surely, the people who took on Galactus, Annihilus and Dr Doom shouldn't be lumbered with fighting a bunch of small-time gangsters who can't even beat Daredevil.
And, speaking of FF foes, the Sub-Mariner clashes with the Thing in New York City, for possession of the Helmet of Power. Clashes, that is, until Betty Dean shows up to talk some sort of sense into Namor's head.
Meanwhile, Nick Fury's trapped aboard SHIELD's Helicarrier, by a Hydra infiltrator who's been going by the name of Professor Trojak.
Elsewhere, Johnny Blaze again becomes the Ghost Rider and sets off after evil biker Big Daddy Dawson who's kidnapped Roxanne Simpson!
And Captain America and Agent 13 seek to stop the Red Skull’s Fourth Sleeper from destroying large chunks of the United States.
Zzzax is back!
And I still don't have a clue how many times the letter Z should feature in his name.
Neither does he, I suspect.
And neither does the Hulk, I suspect.
Then again, the Hulk probably doesn't know how many times the letter Z should feature in his own name.
Sadly, the voltage-packed villain isn't here to stay, because the scientists who inadvertently recreated him soon discover a way to stop him.
Following that, the Super-Skrull takes the captured Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver to the Skrull homeworld, only to be greeted by hostility from the locals.
Next, Conan finds himself tied to the ground and left to the tender mercies of the rats of Ravengard.
And Brother Brimstone's stalking the streets of Hollywood!
But he won't be for long if Daredevil has his way.
It's a tale of pulse-pounding drama, as the Tarantula continues his reign of terror.
Perhaps more importantly, Harry discovers Peter Parker's secret identity!
In Thor's strip, Infinity's finally thwarted when our hero and his allies manage to prevent Odin from merging with the menace.
But this means Hela will now be after the thunder god's blood.
Iron Man finds himself captured by a fabulously wealthy man called Midas. Not to mention that man's mysterious sidekick Madame Masque!
As far as I can make out, the Thing and Morbius return to Earth, after their recent banishment, where they defeat the Living Eraser by using his own technology against him.
And Doctor Strange's physical form has fallen victim to Dracula.
However, what the fang-flaunting fiend doesn't know is that his victim's mind has astrally fled his body and is looking for a solution to his problems.
Happy Herb Trimpe gives us the cover to a story we can only know as Society of the Psychedrome.
If only I could remember anything about that tale, other than that Jason and Alexander are in it.
Following that, we - and Ka-Zar - encounter a place called Tordon-Na, the Golden City! And I can't say that one's ringing any bells for me either.
But I do recall the next section because it's SFX on the Planet of the Apes Part II: Simian Illusions in which we discover more about the magic of the effects men and women who worked on the movies.
Next, things are set to go conquistador on us when the Man-Thing stumbles across a hidden community in the swamp. One that possesses the legendary Fountain of Youth.
And we end the issue with yet more of Marvel's adaptation of the original movie. In this week's exciting episode, we've reached the bit where our intrepid astronauts have their first encounter with the cheeky simians.






29 comments:
Thanks for posting pulse-pounding punditry Steve!
Kazar with a machine gun seems anathema.
Maggia vs. FF seems desperate. And of course Charlie still has PTSD from the stress involved wondering if Marvel meant Mafia. Geeze Louise when he was 10 years old.
Charlie, Mrs, Rachel and her 2 and 8/9 kids just toured the Busch family farms in St Louis and saw Scottish Highlander Cattle. McScotty - you guys have nice looking cattle! And they have lovely Belgian draft horses aka Clydesdales!
Charlie, I believe that is Jason - of Jason and Alexander fame - on the Planet of the Apes & Dracula Lives cover this week, not Ka-Zar.
Steve, its a bit odd that Dracula was dropped so quickly from the merged comic that still had his name on the front cover.
Not that I've a strong objection or anything... but you'd think at least he'd have continued to be featured while the crossover with Dr Strange was going on over in Super-Spidey. It seems like a bit of a missed opportunity to encourage readers of one comic to try another.
-sean
Charlie - boring fact: Clydesdales are Scottish horses that were first bred ( from a Flemish/Belgian breed) . In fact the first Clydesdales were bred less than 3 from my house .
They are impressive beasts!
They used to feature every xmas in a much beloved xmas commercial for Budweiser Beer (owned by the Bush family of St Louis) pulling an old-style wagon through the snow as their bells jingle.
Fun fact: almost all the country prefers Budweiser beer but for Chicago and our neighbors to the north in Milwaukee who prefer Miller. No one knows why.
Sorry bud!!! I should have picked up on “Slaughtered in the Psychodome” as not being Ka-Zarish!!! I just saw a top-less, ripped-shorts, blonde-haired, muscular dude with no nipples and figured “Ka Zar!”
This week’s MWOM was young DW’s introduction to the word ‘puny’. I had previously thought it was pun-y (rhymes with bunny) rather than Pune-y, and was corrected by my primary school teacher. I can laugh about it now…
DW
DW, I too once thought puny was pronounced, "punny."
Steve, I would guess technically it should be puney, but the English language is a fickle beast.
DW
I discovered a new drink yesterday called chai which apparently originates from India. I bought a can of instant vanilla chai latte and it was delicious (three heaped teaspoons of chai powder in a cup with hot water). There are still new things to find even at my age!
Colin - you are right on brother! Life is for the living! Literally and figuratively.
Colin - I always thought "chai" is the Indian word for tea! Maybe I misunderstood.
Phillip
Phillip, according to Wikipedia chai is indeed the Indian word for tea.
Maybe they're flavoured teas, but calling it "chai" makes tea sound more exotic! Either that, or it's to appeal to people of South Asian descent.
Phillip
Colin, I asked the barista at my regular coffee shop what Chai tea was. The tea leaves are mixed with spices like cinnamon, ginger, cardamom etc and boiled with milk giving it a deeper, creamy flavour. Seemingly there are various versions of chai tea ( tea tea) depending of the spice mix.
It's generally made with quite a bit of sugar in India too, Paul.
-sean
Chai is constantly “on the menu” in coffee houses here, for sale in in a variety of ways in grocery stores, seemingly always on offer if you visit someone here in the USA. Well, at least around more urban areas especially if there is an Indian /Paki/ Asian community.
(I’d be curious to hear Red’s experience or MP’s. I don’t know for sure, but I picture MP as living in a fairly Indian free, more rural setting in South Dakota. Red worked in Louisville, which is a major metropolitan area. BP living in Southern Cali I would assume would have the same experiences as me.)
Indians i visit usually make it with scalding hot milk vs. like a tea with water. It is served scalding hot. It always seems to be very sweet.
But we are now in Pumpkin Spice season again in the USA. I do not like anything to be pumpkin spice, except for my homemade organic pumpkin pies. I don’t like it in my coffee; I don’t like it in my tea. I don’t like it in my air freshener. I don’t like it in my cleaning products. I don’t like it in my toilet bowl deodorizer. I don’t like it in the funny things that hang from people’s rearview mirrors in their car.
Also, I heard my first commercial on the radio using Christmas music, in mid August. It is for one of the large office supply vendors called Staples. And of course they’re using ANDY WILLIAMS famous. “It’s the most wonderful time of the year” to suggest it’s the most wonderful time to start shopping at Staples.
Merry xmas everyone!
CH
Some of the shops in my area are also selling Halloween and ( some) Christmas items. Fireworks are already on sale for Bonfire / Guy Fawkes night in November, it gets earlier every year
As Sean also says sugar is indeed added to chai in India. A lot of countries in Africa and middle east seem to use a lot of sugar in drinks . in the UK Matcha coffee (( green powdered tea) is a big thing. I tried one and it was ok but wasn't as good as a basic green tea bag, but it is good for you ( unless you have it with a bacon roll and a cream cake lol).
The sugar thing makes sense in hot climates, Paul.
I don't take sugar in tea or coffee at all... but somewhere like India the sugar hit from chai is refreshing in the middle of the day - especially the further south you go - even if it tastes awful. Although that's where the spices come into it, with a decent blend (not always easy to find!) neutralizing the sweetness.
-sean
REIN ME IN scores a 22nd week at No.1 in the UK which matches Mariah Carey's 22 weeks in the USA.
Last week's edition of SOUL MUSIC on Radio 4 was about Boney M's Rasputin and today's edition is about Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond.
That's true Sean, when I worked in ( rural) Africa the locals there would add sugar to bottles of coke, Fanta etc. and their tea was always sweet. They couldn't understand why I didn't like that which may explain why I always felt fatigued by the heat . Maybe the sugar rush would have helped
To default to comics, Ross Andru & Frank G's Spidey vs Punisher action scenes are pretty darn good! Nevertheless, the Punisher, with normal strength, trading blows with Spidey, in any sense, is pretty idiotic.
Phillip
Through the post, I've just received a letter offering £100, for my recent powercut! As will all the other people affected. Next year's bills, for all Northern Powergrid's customers, will rise to pay for it, I imagine!
Phillip
In that case, Phil, I don't know whether to congratulate you or not!
Tomorrow (August 23rd) marks 100 years since the death of Rudolph Valentino at the age of only 31...
All the ladies fell for Rudolph Valentino
He had a beano back in those balmy days
He knew that when you meet an icy creature
You gotta teach her hot-blooded Latin ways
But even Rudy would've felt the strain
Of making smooth advances in the rain
So this year I'm off to sunny Spain
Y Viva Espana
I'm taking the Costa Brava plane
Y Viva Espana...
Colin - I thought people would be made to account for fish & chips bought, or freezer food defrosted, before getting a penny. I'm congratulating myself, out of utter disbelief!
Phillip
My French father-in-law was a kidney expert who had spent time in Algeria working (not at war) with Algerians.
I asked about the whole “why do they seem to drink a little of “coca cola? Why not water”
His reply was succinct. “Coca has water and sugar. They need the water to stay hydrated and the sugar for energy in the intense heat.”
Now that was 60 years ago he was there and perhaps medical science has changed their thoughts on drinking Cole in the desert?
My Former French father-in-law was very good with succinct answers. When I asked him why Americans are so fat, he said simply, “you eat too Many calories and too many bad calories. “
Like John DillingerC, Rudolph Valentino spent a “few minutes “ in Crown Point Indiana which is where Charlie lived from the age of 12 onward. (Leaving Gary, Indiana was a good thing!
Unlike John Dillinger, who was locked up in the county prison in Crownpoint, and allegedly escaped by making a gun out of soap and coloring it black with shoe polish to force a guard to open the cell door, Valentino popped in for a few minutes to get married the second time.
Joe - Leeds has a CP retail park (probably totally unconnected! )
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186411-d10429255-Reviews-Crown_Point_Shopping_Park-Leeds_West_Yorkshire_England.html
Phillip
Charlie- my youngest son introduced me to chai tea; I enjoyed it from the first taste. Yes, it was basically sweet tea with milk, some spices, and quite hot. As I have a pretty active sweet tooth, I like sweet teas as an alternative to sodas (still get some sugar, but not nearly as much).
Turning to comics: that cover of Super Spider-Man. The original cover from Amazing Spider-Man 135 is possibly my favorite Marvel cover of all time. One of Jazzy Johnny's finest. Being the second appearance of the Punisher always seemed less important to me than that phenomenal Romita gem.
Post a Comment