Sunday, 20 September 2026

2000 AD - August 1988.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

Thinking about it, I'm fairly certain that every cinema I'd been in as a child was no longer standing, by August 1988, with Sheffield's Gaumont and ABC having recently gone the same way as the Classic, Rex and Odeon cinemas.

Still, that's not to say that picture houses didn't exist anywhere.

And that was good news because films were still being released and still needed somewhere to be shown.

Thus it was that the month saw the unleashing of such box office behemoths as The Last Temptation of Christ, Mac and Me, Young Guns, Married to the Mob, A Nightmare on Elm Street 4, Crossing Delancey, The Thin Blue Line and a remake of The Blob.

Of those films, I think the only one I've seen is the remake of The Blob which I don't remember anything about, apart from not liking it. I am, therefore, going to take a total stab in the dark and assume that Married to the Mob is the best of that bunch. I have no idea if it really is but that, regardless, is my verdict.

When it comes to music, I'm on firmer ground.

And I do know there was only one song in town, that August and it was the noticeably high-pitched The Only Way Is Up by Yazz and The Plastic Population which spent the whole month at Number One in the UK, meaning that, despite its title, it had no way to go but sideways.

On the accompanying album chart, August kicked off with Now That's What I Call Music! 12 hogging top spot before it was dethroned by that queen of Neighbours, Kylie Minogue, with her eponymous album of the same name.

And what of the galaxy's greatest comic?

As we might perhaps expect, it was serving up a diet of Nemesis the Warlock, Sláine, Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Tharg's Future-Shocks, Tribal Memories, Hap Hazzard and Strontium Dog.

But Prog 589 also saw the return of Grant Morrison's Zenith in a tale snappily titled Phase II/Prologue: Down Under.

But what's this? The front of that issue boasts that it contains more colour, more pages and more thrill-power than ever before! Can this be true?

While I can pass no judgement as to just how much thrill-power it possesses, I can confirm that it does indeed contain more pages, featuring, as it does, 36 of the things, instead of the usual 32. Truly, 2000 AD is destined to take over the universe!

2000AD #589, Judge Dredd

2000 AD #588, Out of Africa

2000 AD #587, Judge Dredd

2000 AD #586, Nemesis

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charlie did not have the “NOW that’s what I call Music “ CD which featured YAZZ and the plastic population bands “THE ONLY WAY IS UP.”

There was no way to do this, IIRC, because that product was only sold in the UK.

However, Charlie was certainly able to get his mighty mitts on “SUPER WILLl’s SUPER HITS” aus der Radio und Fernsehwerbung in August 1988 since he was living in Willi’s homeland the then West Germany!!!

And what a rollicking CD of festive fun it was:
THE ONLY WAY IS UP
GIRL YOU KNOW ITS TRUE (M V)
MACHO MACHO (heard in the UK?)
SUPERFLY GUY (S-Express)
GIMME HOPE JOANNA (Eddie G)
IM NIN’ALU (Ofra Haza)
PUSH IT (Salz und Pfeffer)

I am curious if the UK and US gents know MACHO MACHO and IM NiN’ ALU which were all the rage in West Germany.

Cheers, Charlie Horse

Anonymous said...

“Meow”’go the Hull City Tigers. Glad the break is here!

Anonymous said...

Joe - Do you mean Sinitta's "So Macho" ?

Phillip

Anonymous said...

Yo PHILLIP! Nope. MACHO MACHO by Rainhard Fendrich. Truly, I can’t imagine it being popular outside of just West Germany, Austria, maybe part of Switzerland. But damn if they didn’t play the sh!t out of it over there at the time LOL.

Steve W. said...

Charlie, I'm familiar with Falco's Macho Macho. Is that the track in question?

Im Nin’alu was a sizeable hit in the UK.

Anonymous said...

Steve - That Falco song's instrumental synths sound like Phil Oakey & Giorgio Moroder. I like it!

Phillip

Anonymous said...

Youtube “Macho Macho Rainhard” and ye shall reach Nirvana amigos!

I would say Falco’s version might have been preferred on the dance floor? But i be american, not german, so who knows why the germans dug it? Culture.

Another fun one was “Frankreich Frankreich”. Good tune!

B Smith said...

Y'know, every time Steve posts one of these type of posts, I always look at the list of films that were screening then, and think "But I didn't see any of those!"...which leads me to wonder "Well, what did I see back then?" and to be honest, I'm blessed if I can remember. I suspect there might have been a lot of arthouse fare, but couldn't swear to it.

Anonymous said...

Steve

Prog 589 does indeed contain more colour pages going from 4 to 8.
The 4 extra pages come from adding a glossy cover to the prog.
With prog 650 this will go up to about 20 colour pages for just 5p extra. Bargain.

Paul B

Steve W. said...

Paul, it's nice to know Tharg wasn't lying to us.

Anonymous said...

For movie, I nominate 'Young Guns', for Terence Tamp's brief, but very charismatic portrayal of John Tunstall ( pulling up Billy the Kid, about his table manners, for example! )

Phillip

Anonymous said...

Terence Stamp, not Tamp! Alliteration be damned!

Phillip

Anonymous said...

Dudes - Shatner did perform his heavy-metal act last nite, despite rain and wind, in Chicago at RIOT FEST. Google “Shatner Riot Fest 2026” if interested.

Mr and Mrs Charlie opted to see Justin Hayward instead… indoors at a restored hundred year old vaudeville theater in St Charles, Illinois. Your brit musicians from the 1960s - 80s live rent free in our heads.

Actually we figured we would prefer watching an 80 year old on stage vs. a 95 year old lol.

Anonymous said...

Joe - Forever Autumn's apt, right now. That being said, according to the local tv weatherman, Autumn doesn't officially starts until Sept 23rd (?), this year! Weird!

Phillip

Anonymous said...

autumn - start

Phillip