Saturday 4 October 2014

Forty years ago today - October 1974.

Well, it's been a happy day for me because Dino De Horrendous' legendary 1976 King Kong remake has been on TV this afternoon. How I thrilled. How I gasped. How I wondered how they ever thought they'd get away with that robot ape near the climax.

But were our favourite Marvel heroes feeling like kings of the jungle in this month of exactly forty years ago?

Or were they just being made monkeys of?

Avengers #128, Necrodamus

Thanks to Agatha Harkness, the Scarlet Witch finds herself up against the terrifying menace of Necrodamus.

To be honest, I can't see the name, "Necrodamus," without thinking of the reggae duo Chaka Demus and Pliers, which does undermine the sense of menace somewhat.

You can read my review of this very issue, right here.
Conan the Barbarian #43, Red Sonja

Red Sonja is back - and on her back - as our favourite tomb raiders find themselves up against a naughty pair of sorcerers.

You can read my review of this issue, right here.
Captain America and the Falcon #178

You can't read my review of this issue anywhere - because I've no idea what happens in it. But the cover has strong hints of the Smasher story-line from the Amazing Spider-Man.
Daredevil and the Black Widow #114, Man-Thing

DD finds himself up against the menace of Death-Stalker and the Gladiator in the Everglades.

I remember first reading this one in the Mighty World of Marvel 1977 annual.

And you can read my review of that annual, right here.
Fantastic Four #151, Thundra

Is this the one where Thundra makes her debut?

Obviously, I could have asked, "Is this the one where Mahkizmo makes his debut?" but he's lumbered with a name like, "Mahkizmo," which makes me not care so much about when he made his debut.
Hulk #180, the Wendigo

The Wendigo's back.

And, unless my memory fails me, a certain future X-Man is about to make his debut.
Amazing Spider-Man #137, Green Goblin

Harry Osborn's still being the Green Goblin.
Thor #228

I genuinely know nothing at all about this issue but my razor-sharp senses tell me Ego may be involved.
X-Men #90, Professor X is dead

"Not a Hoax! Not a dream! Not an imaginary tale!"

I could be wrong but doesn't it turn out that it is a hoax and Professor X is really alive and well and choosing to live in the cellar for about five years?

You can't blame him, We've all done it.

5 comments:

Simon B said...

You haven't missed much by not reading that issue of Captain America. Cap has retired ( yeah, right! ) and the Falcon has to go it alone against lame ex-X-Men villain Lucifer and some generic robots. It's a low ebb in Steve Engelhart's run on the character which luckily improves in a few issues with the introduction of Steve Rogers' new alias, The Nomad.

Anonymous said...

Steve, Thundra's debut was in "Thundra At Dawn" about 20 issues before this. Thundra At Dawn was also the main story in No.1 of Marvel UK's Complete Fantastic Four.

Anonymous said...

I gotta respectfully disagree with Cerebus. I loved that issue. (Of course, maybe because I had that issue as a kid.)
True, Lucifer and his robots (and doppelganger) were kinda lame, but I enjoyed the drama and pathos between the Falcon and Cap. And let's not forget the Sal Buscema art!
I don't think it was a low ebb so much as taking a breath. But to each his own.
I just realized, except for X-men and the Hulk, I have all these issues! I must be some kinda nut.
I love that Conan cover.

Steve W. said...

Cerebus, Colin and Anon, thanks for the info. I must confess we're entering an era of Marvel about which I know less and less.

Anonymous said...

You're not too far off about FF 151 Steve - Colin's right about Thundra's first appearance being earlier, but I recall correctly, that was as one of the Frightful Four. So you could sort of (maybe) get away with saying this was her debut as a regular part of the FF.

Can't remember if she actually joined as a member as such, or just happened to be around quite a bit whenever Sue Storm was away copping off with the Submariner or whatever.... Not that it matters much - the gradual downward slide in quality of the post-Kirby FF became much faster around this point.

-sean