Thursday 12 October 2017

October 12th, 1977 - Marvel UK, 40 years ago this week.

What a strangely uninspiring seven days was the week that led up to this date, forty years ago. There seemed to be little of note on the television that day and the charts yielded no great changes from the week before.

Thank the comic book gods, therefore, that I had something in my life that was guaranteed to excite me.

That thing was Marvel UK.

And, in just a few days' time, it'd give me even more to get excited about.

But that historic event would have to wait.

For now, we were given the awesome offerings below.

Super Spider-Man and Captain Britain #244, Will o the Wisp

Unless I miss my ever-loving guess, Will o' the Wisp makes his senses-shattering debut this issue.

I don't know. He was a bit of a sad case, wasn't he? Much as I sympathised with his plight, I'm not sure he particularly grabbed me.

Elsewhere, the FF are battling Omega, while the Avengers are battling Zodiac, and Captain Britain is dealing with Slaymaster.

The Complete Fantastic Four #3, Dragon Man

Not content with trying to thwart Omega in the back of Spider-Man's comic, in their own mighty mag, Marvel's first family is trying to get the better of Dragon Man.

I do believe Gregory Gideon makes his return in this tale. I know not, though, whether he returns as a good guy or a bad guy.

The last time I saw him in their strip, he'd finished the tale by becoming a reformed man. Did that reformation stick, or has he returned once more to his villainous ways?

Mighty World of Marvel #263, Daredevil vs Electro

Daredevil finds himself up against Electro, a fight that should, logically, last all of about five seconds, though I suspect Hornhead will somehow manage to come out on top.

I've always loved Electro's outfit. It's one of my favourite super-villain costumes. Frankly, any costume that's got lightning bolts on it, I like.

Meanwhile, the Hulk finds himself up against the Absorbing Man.

As their battle takes place on a building site and Bruce is wearing a hard hat on that cover, I'm assuming his new job is on that very site. I do however stand to be corrected.

But it's common sense. Let's face it, if you're a man who's prone to turning into a homicidal monster at times of stress, it makes perfect sense to get a job in a notoriously hazardous location like a building site. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

14 comments:

Timothy Field said...

Just noticed Electro's 'boot lightning, was it always drawn that way? Must have evened the odds against DD, what with being unable to walk or run without tripping over or stabbing himself in the legs.

Steve W. said...

Steve Ditko didn't draw his boots that way and I don't think John Romita did. I don't think Gene Colan did either. So, it looks like his boots might only have been drawn like that on this cover.

Come to think of it, his mask looks all wrong as well.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Dude, I always dug Electro as a villain, too. Not sure why? Lightening bolts, perhaps. But I also seem to dig green uniforms like Cpt Marvel though not GA or GL. What the heck... I am really confused. Help?

Timothy Field said...

A quick look at Google images would seem to suggest that everything about that outfit on that cover is wrong, with the possible exception of Electro's yellow outerpants.

Anonymous said...

I think you'll find they're called over-pants.

DW

Steve W. said...

Charlie, I suppose it depends on which colours accompany the green.

Timothy, that cover is certainly a major redesign for Electro's costume.

Anonymous said...

October 12th 1977 wasn't uneventful in my house because it was my father's 50th birthday. I was only 11 at the time so 50 seemed ancient.

What are the electric bolts on Electro's mask made of - cardboard ?...plastic ?

Anonymous said...

And October 14th 1977 saw the death of Bing Crosby - so Elvis, Marc Bolan and Bing had all gone in a two-month period.

paul said...

Electro did get a costume redesign that only appeared in that issue of Daredevil. The MWOM cover actually does it a few favours and makes it look better than it was inside.

It was so bad that he is pictured on the cover of that issue of Daredevil (#89) wearing his classic uniform and not the one he wears inside the issue.

Steve W. said...

Thanks for the Electro info, Paul.

And thanks for the Bing info, Colin. I've always imagined Electro's mask is made of cardboard, which, I admit, isn't the classiest thing ever.

Anonymous said...

I believe that Hulk story involves Bruce banner getting a job on a construction site i NYC, hence the hard hat.
Unfortunately, the Absorbing Man shows up on a rampage and Bruce Hulks out.
IIRC, the Absorbing Man absorbs the power of glass by accident and busts into a thousand pieces, and Banner has to look for another job.
You have to be careful when you have absorbing powers. If you touch rock or steel you can be pretty tough, but you can be defeated by someone tossing a roll of toilet paper at you.

M.P.

Steve W. said...

I also remember him having been defeated at various times by helium, cardboard and water. Poor old Absorby. Maybe his power is more of a curse than a blessing.

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

SPOILER WARNING!

In the Incredible Hulk game on the Sega Megadrive, the way to defeat the absorbing man is keep dodging his swinging ball on chain until he's dumb enough to touch a glass pillar. Then smash him.

This is the same game where the last boss is the Leader, who does absolutely nothing. Just stands there, waiting to be punched.

Steve W. said...

Well, you know the Leader. He's a lover not a fighter.