Thursday 26 October 2017

October 26th, 1977 - Marvel UK, 40 years ago this week.

As the nights draw in and Halloween approaches, it's time once more to put a pumpkin on our heads, climb onto our Broomstick of Nostalgia, leap off the roof and, as we plunge into the bowels of Hell, see what our favourite comics company was up to in this week of forty years ago.

Speaking of Hell, Baccara were at Number One on the UK singles chart, with Yes Sir, I Can Boogie.

Super Spider-Man and Captain Britain #246, Will o' the Wisp

Spidey's still up against Will o' the Wisp. The Avengers are still up against Zodiac, Captain Britain's still up against Slaymaster, and Thor is still up against Ulik.

In other words, it's no change from last week.

But perhaps one thing does change.

I would assume, from the cover, that this is the issue in which Will o' the Wisp pops his clogs while Jonas Harrow watches on.

Did we ever learn just what Harrow was up to and why he was so keen on creating super-villains only to send them off to pointlessly meet their doom on their first mission?

Leaving aside the recklessness with human life such a methodology involved, it did seem a somewhat inefficient approach to scientific villainy.

Rampage #2, The Defenders and Nova

I really don't have a clue what that thing is the Defenders are fighting but it doesn't look like it's the greatest monster ever in the history of literature.

I believe this issue reprints Defenders #1, in which the Undying Ones are involved in a plot to sacrifice the Sub-Mariner.

I do wonder why Marvel UK didn't use the original cover which is a lot classier than this one.

But who cares about that? All that matters is that, with this issue, we get a free Stratocruiser to add to the Concorde and Jumbo Jet they'd already given us in recent weeks!

Just where were Marvel UK getting all these model planes from?

The Complete Fantastic Four #5

It's a gorilla with a sea mine where its head should be. Suddenly the creature on the front of Rampage is starting to look a whole lot more impressive.

It would appear that this issue's back-up tale features the famous Skrull Cow Manoeuvre that men have spoken of in hushed whispers ever since.

Mighty World of Marvel #265, Hulk

It's yet another cover where the Hulk's on the rampage.

I believe this issue may be the start of his first encounter with Dr Druid.

Of this week's back-up strips, I know nothing.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the subject of the Skrull Cow Manoeuvre, I recall John Byrne did quite an enjoyable double-sized FF story - I think it was an annual actually - about how they were still there years later, with the local townspeople experiencing interesting after effects from drinking milk.
Although thinking about it, weren't they sorted out during the Kree-Skrull war?

-sean

Aggy said...

I almost posted the history of the Skrull cows last week but I'm lazy.

Yes the towns people did get strange reactions from drinking the milk.

Later it turned out some of the cows got slaughtered and into the human food chain. This lead to humans taking on skrull like powers.

The series was created by Grant Morrison and Mark Miller and was an obvious Marvel version of the Mad Cow Disease scare in the UK. Unfortunately it came at the same as Marvel cutting their output and it ended up as a Limited series.

Anonymous said...

"Yes Sir, I Can Boogie" is a pop classic !

By this stage, seemingly every MWOM cover was drawn by Pablo Marcos - nice work for him but why only MWOM ?

Steve W. said...

Sean and Aggy, thank for the cow history.

Colin, I would assume that Pablo was busy doing work for US Marvel and therefore only had time to do one cover a week for Marvel UK.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Hi Steve-o and the rest of you hip UK cats,

I was reading my Wall Street Journal this morning, whilst eating my blueberry pancakes, before heading off to my Ukulele Club Saturday Morning Jam session where we played Halloween Songs. (Psycho Killer on the Uke... my oh my...)

Anyhow, the WSJ reports that Dundee,Scotland "has emerged as Scotland's coolest city." My query is this: Whenever I meet folks from Scotland or the UK and tell them that part of my lineage is from Dundee (hence my connection to DC Thomson Annuals) I get this blank look. No one ever says anything about Dundee, even the ones from Dundee! I always figured there was nothing nice about it, so that's why no one says anything? Perhaps they feel pity or disdain for me?

Contrast that to when my wife says she is from France and people just gush forth or when I say I'm half Hungarian people go nutzo or when I say I'm part Slovak (like much of Chicago) and people start blabbing about Slovakia.

What's the deal with Dundee? I can't take it anymore... I'm liable to snap and become a Psycho Killer or something! HELP!!!

Steve W. said...

I think the problem probably is that no one from outside Dundee knows anything about it. It never makes the news and it never shows up on TV. All most people know about it is that it's in Scotland and has two football (soccer) teams based on opposite sides of the same street.

Why people from Dundee don't have anything to say to you about the town, I have no idea. Perhaps there's some dread secret about it that they can never dare discuss.

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Dundee is famous for being the nome of William McGonnagal, truly the worst poet ever. Spike Milligan wrote a book about him but he was definitely a real person. There's a McGonnagal's Bar where the walls are carted with his poetry.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I guess it's time for Charlie to do some introspection of his belief system.

You guys play a little conkers but not much at all anymore.

You don't walk around saying "Jings!" and "Ta, Mate" and "How bout a cuppa?"

You don't wear dungarees or sit on buckets like Wullie.

Dundee isn't even famous for Beano, Dandy, and Oor Wullie or Hotspur and Valiant? IT's possibly famous for the worst poet ever.

I suppose you will tell me Roy of the Rovers is actually a fictional character?

This is a "Come to Jesus" moment for Charlie and his Scottish heritage; he realizes he's been living in the bizzaro universe.




dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Printing those comics is a good shout Charlie. I'd forgotten that. Sorry mate.

I guess there's also Dundee being one of a very short list (3 or 4?) of British cities that have had more than one football club reaching the semis of the European cup. London and Glasgow have done it. Manchester will do it soon if they've not already.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Man City and Man United are looking 1 & 2 at the moment. If that translates to both of them being in the Champions League next year, who knows? Maybe they'd meet each other in the semis? Ah yes, I fondly remember the glory days of Man U about 10 years ago and Sir Ferguson.

Anonymous said...

Someone's been pulling your leg Charlie - everyone knows Alex Ferguson was a fictional character.

-sean