Sunday 28 January 2018

Comic book creators - and how they looked in my head.

As we all know, comics are exactly the same as radio, except for the fact that they have no sound and have pictures, while radio has no pictures but possesses sound.

That aside, they do, however, have another thing in common.

And that's the fact that, unlike with television, we don't get to see our favourite stars in action.

In some cases, this may not be a bad thing. There is, after all, a reason why the phrase, "Perfect face for radio," was invented. It does, though, mean we can often have massively wrong ideas about the physical appearance of those who put so much work into entertaining us.

The same effect can happen with comics. And so, in the absence of anything that resembles an idea for a post on this blog, I thought I'd talk about this phenomenon as it affected the comic books of my youth.

And that's the life-or-death question of the hour. Just how many of our favourite comic book creators actually turned out to look like we thought they did?

I think I always knew what San Lee looked like, thanks to him making sure we all got to see photos of him at every possible opportunity.

Others were more low profile. That said, when I finally got to see a photo of Jack Kirby, he looked exactly like I'd imagined him, basically James Cagney. He was, however, much smaller than I'd assumed. I think I'd envisaged him as having a robust build appropriate to one of his dynamic drawing style.

Meanwhile, I always assumed that, during his 1960s stint on Spider-Man, John Romita was a resolutely middle aged man - possibly the most resolutely middle aged man of all time. It was a shock to discover later that he'd been in his mid thirties at the time.

Conversely, I'd always pictured Ross Andru's Spider-Man years as being the product of an eager young man, out to make his mark in  comics, only for me to discover he was actually older than John Romita.

I imagined Barry Smith as looking like Jesus and, while it turned out he didn't really look like Jesus, he did at least have longish hair and a beard, so he was probably as much like Jesus as he could manage to get. Then again, when he became Barry Windsor Smith, he was suddenly a delicate, sickly young man, in the habit of sniffing flowers while reading the poetry he'd just finished writing.

I always pictured Neal Adams as a slim, sensitive soul in a white T-shirt, slaving laboriously over his drawing board, in a dim light. It later turned out that he sort of looked like someone who'd knock on your front door, trying to sell you shoes from a briefcase. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It just didn't fit in with my image of him.

Obviously, my most triumphant gaff was Charlton Comics' Nicola Cuti who I spent forty years thinking was a woman until the internet informed me that he was a man.

I made the same mistake with Sal Buscema, for the not unreasonable reason that everyone knew that Sal was a girl's name. However, unlike, with Nicola Cuti, I discovered my mistake early on and had to resign myself to the fact that there was no such person in comics as Sally Buscema.

Then again, for another person, I got it almost as wildly wrong. Having known of her only through her name, I always envisaged Flo Steinberg as an ageing but delicate spinster, with half-moon spectacles, the sort of woman who'd teach piano lessons on her Sundays off. It was a bit of a shock to discover she was a pot smoking Betty Brant lookalike who'd once published a comic you wouldn't want your grandmother to see.

Jim Aparo looked like his depiction of Jim Corrigan, a rock hard man with steel fists, a tight lip and a permanently clenched lower jaw.

For me, Gil Kane was a man who drew every strip while wearing a suit.

John Buscema, however, turned out to have looked exactly like I'd imagined him.

Sol Brodsky, for me, exactly resembled a 1940s Broadway comedian.

Frank Robbins was a frenzied individual who only drew at night, in an attic whose solitary window spilled light out into the surrounding darkness, letting everyone in the neighbourhood know that the local madman was once more performing forbidden experiments with drawing boards.

For me, Wally Wood looked the way I later discovered Don Heck looked. Heck, in my head, looked like a member of Frank Sinatra's Rat Pack.

Steve Ditko was a question mark, seated in a chair.

Reader, for me, he is still a question mark seated in a chair.

35 comments:

pete doree said...

I agree completely about Jim Aparo, Steve, I was convinced he was some tall, thin supercool hip dude in a sharp suit, and was staggered when I saw a photo of him and he looked like your Uncle Mort.
Gil Kane I always figured had white hair, just 'cos so many of his characters did, just like I knew what Howie Chaykin & Al Williamson looked like ( ie. every single one of their heroes )
What was really weird was when comic creators looked like they'd been designed by other comic creators. Kirby looked like he'd been designed by Kirby, but Mike Sekowsky looked like he'd been drawn by Don Martin!
Oh, and Frank Robbins looked like my Uncle Ron. Which was nice for both of them.

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

I always assumed they looked like their artwork.

Romita was gorgeous.

Ditko was a scratchy looking street urchin.

Andru walked with a stoop because the ceilings were all too low for him.

Kirby was exactly what I expected.

Robbins was a freak/contortionist.

Kane was snooty. Always looked down his nose at you.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I always figured Kane was below-average height, looking up and into everyone's nostrils.

Other than that, I never thought about what they looked like. I was more interested in how they pronounced their names e.g., Giacoia...

sroman said...

I thought Bob Larkin was some old-timer, since he was painting covers for Marvel and Warren when I was in my teens. After I met him in 1998 and we became friends, I discovered we're only 13 years apart. He just acts old!

Timothy Field said...

Charlie, I'm with you on how to pronounce their names. Most of them were completely unfamiliar to me, so I would read them as written or just make something up. To this day I have to check myself before saying Busk-a-ma for Buscema.

Steve W. said...

And I still don't know how to pronounce Gulacy.

Thinking about it, I always saw Alfredo Alcala as a somewhat over the top, pencil-moustached stage magician.

Steve W. said...

Nestor Redondo was a harlequin-clad circus juggler.

Anonymous said...

This isn't a comic-book creator, but Marvel's Conan strips would always say "adapted from the story by Robert E. Howard" - I didn't know anything about Robert E. Howard but I imagined him as rather elderly and academic, puffing away on his pipe and sipping a Scotch as he typed his Conan stories. Needless to say, I was amazed to discover the reality - especially that all of REH's stories were written before he turned 30.

David Morefield said...

I guess I saw a lot of these guys pretty much the same time as their art, but it always struck me that Neal Adams looked like he was drawn by Neal Adams. Kirby also looked like a Kirby drawing, and Gil Kane looked like a Gil Kane drawing. I finally saw a picture of (an older) Frank Robbins recently and -- rather impossibly I'd have thought -- he looked not unlike a Robbins drawing (so at least ONE human being did).

Beyond that, I didn't really have any expectations, other than maybe Irv Novick, who based on his Batman and Flash work I kind of imagined as a young-ish, mod-era fashion artist. Pretty shocking to learn he was one of the oldest vets in the biz, being a co-creator of The Shield, who pre-dated Captain America in the "super-patriot" genre. That said, I still don't think I've ever seen a picture of Irv.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve! Why was your girlfriend throwing peanuts at the two Human League dancers/ singers at the disco in Sheffield? Lol! Must have been before they joined HL?

Steve W. said...

Charlie, I'm proud to announce that she wasn't my girlfriend. She was just a friend. And I believe she threw peanuts at them because she didn't like them. This was indeed before they joined the Human League.

David, I always imagined Irv Novick and Dick Dillin as looking exactly like each other, possibly because I could never tell their drawing styles apart.

Colin, I always imagined Howard as looking somewhat like how it turned out HP Lovecraft looked. I always envisioned him as a man who sat in shadow in dark corners of dark rooms in dark castles.

Sroman, I always saw Bob Larkin as the star of a British suburban sitcom about recycling.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Tim Field!

Tony DeZuniga was always Tony "Da Zinga" to me, LOL. But I'm with you in that Buscema was a mouthful for a kid.

Gene Colan was always Gene Co-Lynn. No idea how the "o" or "a" were pronounced.

Steve!

Well, did Mark White's brother/father comp you some tickets to an ABC show at least, LOL? I am guessing you were in school with them prior to ABC being a thing?

Anonymous said...

I still pronounce Buscema as Bus-ka-ma, Sub-Mariner as Sub-Mareener etc but I do say Annihilus properly now :)

I still don't know how to pronounce Clea - like tea? Cleea? Claya?

Steve W. said...

Charlie, sadly, they were still little known at the time and no tickets were ever offered to me.

Colin, I always pronounced Clea to match the English pronunciation of, "Clear."

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve! Your new-wave charisma is still awesome in my book! No chance you knew any of the original Thomson Twins since they started in Sheffield? Why was Sheffield such a hotbed of new-wave inspiration???

Timothy Field said...

Colin, wait... how are we pronouncing Annihilus?
I fear I may still be doing it wrong.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I echo TF. How DOES one pronounce Annihilus??? I have pronounced the I's as both log I, short I, and long E in times past, LOL!

Timothy Field said...

I've always said Ann-hi-il-us but now looking at I'm clearly wrong.
World view shattered.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

A ni (long I) il (short I) us? H is silent?

Timothy Field said...

Answers are needed and they are needed now

Steve W. said...

Charlie, I'm afraid I have never met any of the Thompson Twins. I suspect that Sheffield was a musical hotspot because no one had anything else to do.

As for Annihilus, I always pronounce it An-eye-ill-us.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve! W.t.h! I thought you knew these things as arbiter of Steve Does Comics! Where do Tim and I go to for answers?

nothing to do? I thought you said Sheffield hosted the world Snooker championships annually? And surely you played Conkers? But it sounds like Sheffield was a steel city like Gary Indiana where Ibgrew up. We had Michael Jackson and you had New Wave?

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Never mind the steel, the snooker and the Human League. Does Steve go the full monty?

Charlie Horse 47 said...

LOL! Full Monty? I vaguely recall the film but...? Help!

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

The a Full Monty is the other thing Sheffield is famous for apart from steel, snooker, Human League and Steve Does Comics.

Unknown said...

Steve, back in 1972-1975 I used to participate in a number of Subbutteo leagues (table football where you "flick to kick" for your overseas readers).

I sometimes played as a "real" team - usually Liverpool - but often made up teams were allowed. For one season I played as a team of Marvel creators. I wish I could remember the whole side but it definitely included both Buscemas, who were "Bus-hammers" in my head. Ditko, Romita,Thomas and Colan also played but they were easier for my inner commentary!

FYI John was a burly defender and Sal a nippy winger in my world!

pete doree said...

I only just recently figured out it's Ann-eye-il-us, like Annihilate. For decades I was calling him Annie-Hill-Us...

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Pete,! we need proof! For 4 decades I've wandered in the desert on that name, lol.

Steve W. said...

Mike, I always wanted a Subbuteo set. Instead, I had another tabletop football game whose players used to kick the ball when you pulled their legs backward and then released them. Sadly, if you pulled too hard, their legs would fall off. Never before had any football team seen so many one legged players.

Unknown said...

I had a similar problem with Subbuteo where my Mum would regularly stand on my players! I'd glue them back together but they looked incredibly deformed. Your game wasn't Striker was it? Thinking about it, didn't you have to press down heads to make players kick in striker?

Subbuteo was my favourite childhood toy (along with my Action Man). when I wasn't reading Marvel I was organising cup competitions between made up teams!

Steve W. said...

Google informs me that it was called Big League and was made by Chad Valley. The players were colourless when you got them, so that you could paint them in the team colours of your choice As a guide, it included a big wall chart showing the kits of every team in England, as well as various international teams. Unfortunately, the players were far too fragile to stand up to the strains of actually playing a game.

To be honest, it was more fun playing football with Airfix model soldiers. Those football matches between Rommel's Afrika Corps and Monty's Desert Rats were awesome.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I had to YouTube Subbuteo. It looks like it could be quite fun. Though I would be more inclined to try Conkers should I ever visit your land again, lol.

FYI our Chicago Cubs baseball team had a one-legged pitcher in 1945 given shortage of 2-legged pitchers due to the war. I was told it was too much a handicap.

pete doree said...

There's a clip on how to pronounce it on youtube, Charlie, where they say 'Annie-Hill-Ooze' but I still think I'm right. What else can it be?

Unknown said...

Steve, I think a friend of mine had Big League but I can’t remember playing it. I definitely had the same Airfix soldiers sets as you but never thought of using them to play footie!

Charlie, as fun as conkers could be (although the actual playing wasn’t as fun as the preparation- soaking the chestnuts in vinegar and putting a string through them), it couldn’t match the joy of subbuteo. I have to say though that I bought a set for my son a few years back and he was completely underwhelmed!

Mind you, he was never that keen on my comics either- at least he enjoys the MCU movies.

Anonymous said...

On the Annihilus debate:

As Pete Doree said, it comes from the word "annihilate" (I assumed everyone knew that!).

As a kid I pronounced it ann-ill-eye-us but now, like Steve, I say ann-eye-ill-us.