Thursday 15 March 2018

March 15th, 1978 - Marvel UK, 40 years ago this week.

Once more, the sun has fallen out of the sky and plummeted towards the good people of Australia, leaving the streets beyond my window dark and cold. In my quest for illumination, I have no choice but to turn my back on those streets and, as so often before, focus upon the far corner of my room, and upon what our favourite comics company was up to forty years ago.

Marvel UK, Star Wars #6

Only six issues in and the Marvel UK version of the comic has almost caught up with its US equivalent. What hope is there for its future? What?

Despite such concerns, I do, though, bring exciting news. For once, I happen to know what this issue's back-up strips are.

They are Man-Gods From Beyond the Stars and The Sword in the Star. My razor-sharp intellect tells me that Marvel UK was choosing back-up strips purely because they had the word, "Star," in their titles.

I had previously read the first of those two strips in Marvel UK's Planet of the Apes comic and the other strip never did anything for me. So, despite my love for Man-Gods, I probably wasn't that gripped by the comic at this stage.

Rampage #22, Defenders vs Sons of the Serpent

The Defenders are still having trouble with the Sons of the Serpent.

From what I can remember, they don't fare very well, even with the awesome power of Yellowjacket on their side.

Complete Fantastic Four #25, Xemu

A tale and a villain I know nothing of.

I do spot that Quicksilver is in it. Given that, by this point, he's married to Crystal, this does make me wonder if the Inhumans are involved.

In the back-up tale, the FF are still having their first encounter with the Hulk, which I vaguely recall being down to the machinations of an evil spy of possibly Eastern European origins.

Mighty World of Marvel #285, Hulk vs Bi-Beast

The Hulk's battle with the Bi-Beast - and SHIELD's doors - continues.

Super Spider-Man #266, White Tiger

Spidey's still up against the White Tiger, for what seems like the five millionth week running.

Meanwhile, Captain America is startled by the return of Bucky.

Why do I get the feeling there's going to be a flashback to the War in it? Did any character ever flashback as much as Cap did?

But, apparently, it's not the real Bucky. It's all a plot by Baron Zemo, using an amnesiac boy he's found in a gym.

I'm not sure if Zemo himself found him in the gym. Somehow, Zemo never struck me as the kind to hang around in gyms.

I am not aware if we ever learn the boy's true identity or if it's left mysterious so that we - and Cap - might ponder forever over the possibility that he really is Bucky.

Although I have no doubt that I must have read it, I genuinely have no memory of ever having encountered this tale at all.

Elsewhere, more memorably, the Avengers are taking on the Titanic Three, in Vietnam, and Thor is tangling with Mercurio and a giant space crystal that's holding Sif and Karnilla captive.

"Karnilla," is such a great name. If I ever have a pet rabbit, I'm going to call it Karnilla.

22 comments:

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Yes Steve, there is someone who had more flashbacks than Cap. Uncle Albert from Only Fools And Horses. You're welcome.

And if we have the Titanic Three in this week's Avengers strip, that must mean we have The Slasher too. A guy whose costume was made of razor blades, just in case any other pictures were popping into your head.

Anonymous said...

You're correct about the main story from Complete FF #25 involving the Inhumans Steve.
Xemu had a big machine that could amplify Black Bolt's voice - I think the idea was to destroy the world, but why he wanted to do that I don't recall.
I do remember he was from the Fifth Dimension though, so the story probably leads into that parallel worlds storyline. You know, the one with the cosmic space-hockey goalie.

-sean

Anonymous said...

PS The full name would be even better - Karnilla Queen of the Norns the rabbit.

-sean

Steve W. said...

It's too late, Dangermash. Another picture had indeed already appeared in my head at the mention of the name, "The Slasher."

Sean, thanks for the Xemu info. For some reason, I can't get the phrase, "Rod Hull and Xemu," out of my head.

Timothy Field said...

I definitely had all these issues bar TCFF, very strong memories of MWOM in particular but it does beg the question: where was I finding 40p a week back in 1978? I certainly never got any pocket money and this would have been before I got a paper-round so I can only assume I was spending all my waking hours scouring the streets for deposit bottles to return to the local off-licence.
I'm amazed at the entrepreneurial spirit of younger me.

Anonymous said...

I think on that Mighty World of Marvel cover, they should have stuck with the original Marvel Comics Hulk cover rather than one that features the Hulk thrusting his groin out like that.
Nobody needs to see that. I suspect 'ol Thunderbolt Ross is thinking, "those purple pants are gonna give up any second now, and then the Bi-Beast will be the least of our problems."

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Being unfamiliar with that Hulk storyline, I have been wondering what powers and motivations a villain called the Bi-Beast had, M.P.

-sean

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve you promised me covers and villains featuring people with five eyes! I have been patiently waiting! We had the one eyed villain then we had to bibeast with two eyes so please hurry it up!

Anonymous said...

Tim, I got pocket money from my gran but my father bought my comics for me :)

Back in the day I wasn't a fan of Pablo Marcos but nowadays I love his art - funny how nostalgia changes your opinions.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Tim I collected pop bottles too at .02$ per bottle. I needed 6 then 8 then 10 to get a comic. Then the stores stopped charging deposits on pop bottles and taking them back! I think in the USA that Michigan has a deposit on bottles of like $.10 per pop/ beer bottle. But I always wondered and wonder what kind of Sad Sack throws out glass bottles? Do they want children to step on them and slash their feet as I did as a child?

Steve W. said...

Sorry, Charlie. I forgot that, thanks to the 1970s' oil crisis, James Callaghan's Labour government had to limit everyone to having no more than two eyes. It was a major scandal at the time and people took to the streets, in protest.








Killdumpster said...

Dangermash-

I used to draw homemade comics & redesigned the Slasher's costume, because he was so lame. I crossed him with The Gladiator, with a little Porcupine thrown in.

Steve-

I'm beginning to think, deep down, that you may have a subconscious appreciation of Hank Pym.

Killdumpster said...

It makes me laugh now how Marvel became such a juggernaut when a lot of us kids back then were poor as heck. Of course back then if we had 50 cents or ,heaven forbid a dollar, we thought we ruled the world.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Hey KDumpster... Marvel may have been a juggernaut on the spinner racks, but man how many times did they almost go out of business? Stan couldn't barely give away the rights to the characters... When Stan offered Sony the movie rights to all their characters, they said they would only take Spidey for like $10 MM in 1999. They didn't want any of the other characters. 10 years later Disney pays $4 BB for those "other characters." Talk about a change of fortune?

Anyhow the story is pretty well documented. And Sony seem pretty stoopid for not buying those rights in 1999 though we all benefit from hindsight.

Steve - just curious if you make 7 figurea off this blog or is it a labor of love (still)?

Killdumpster said...

Charlie H 47-

Everything you said plus other financial fumbles like having rights to characters tied up with various animation studios, and the disastrous attempt at self-distribution with the purchase of Heroes World.

Killdumpster said...

It's pretty funny to think the first Fantastic Four cartoons from the 60's is owned by Hanna Barbera, which is owned by Warner Bros., who also owns DC Comics

Steve W. said...

Killdumpster, I have always had an appreciation of Hank Pym - or at least early Hank Pym. Before I was old enough to know better, Ant-Man was one of my favourite heroes.

Charlie, Google don't like us talking about advertising revenue but let's just say this blog earns just about enough to pay for a loaf of bread each week.

Dougie said...

Xemu is a villain from the old "Strange Tales" Torch strip. Valeria ( no relation to the pirate in "Red Nails"/SSOC) was a revived romantic interest for J Storm but swiftly replaced by Frankie Raye.

The Sons of the Serpent arc is one of my favourite Gerber serials. It makes good use of Yellowjacket as a Defender and includes a bit of social commentary. It reminds me, tonally, of Batman and the Outsiders at DC about a decade later. White Tiger would've been a good Defender.

Wasn't the Slasher originally Buzzsaw and is named as such in one narration box?

Killdumpster said...

Maybe they referenced that he was "like" a buzzsaw? Always thought he was a one-and-done villian. An ugly bigoted man with a ugly "power". I cannot recall him being utilized before that story or after.That issue was entertaining though. The Thor/Iron Man battle could have lasted a little longer than a couple panels.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve! Day-oh!!! Where's the Sunday supplement? Tell me there is a Sunday supplement? Hey - what kind of bread do you buy with your earnings? Whole wheat? Rye? White? Cinnamon-raisin?

Steve W. said...

It's on its way, Charlie. Though I fear that it's subject matter will mean little to you.

As for bread, always wholegrain.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I'm glad you have a healthy respect for your digestive tract!