Thursday 31 May 2018

May 31st, 1978 - Marvel UK, 40 years ago this week.

What were you doing on this night of exactly forty years ago?

If you had any sense, you were probably outside, enjoying the Spring sunshine.

I wasn't. I was watching as BBC One looked forward to the 1978 World Cup which would be kicking off, the very next day, in Argentina.

Needless to say, I had every confidence in England's chances of winning the tournament, even though they hadn't qualified. Likewise, Wales and Northern Ireland had also failed to qualify. Scotland had qualified but it was obvious they weren't going to win it, because they'd made loads of records saying they were going to win it, which is a sure-fire guarantee that you're not going to win it.

But, if those of us in these sceptred isles didn't have a lot to look forward to on the football pitch, we could at least console ourselves in the deeds of the printed page. For, through that medium, we could enter a realm in which our heroes were virtually guaranteed to always triumph.

Star Wars Weekly #17

Almost inevitably, I've no idea what's going on in the main tale.

Happily, I do know what's happening in the all-important back-up strips. Star-Lord is still having his debut adventure, in the days when he could get though a crisis without the benefit of a mix-tape. Elsewhere, the Watcher's still telling us the tale of why his people never interfere in the affairs of other worlds, apart from whenever they feel like it.

I must confess this staggers me. I'm pretty sure it means the tale's now been running for three issues. Bearing in mind that it's only about ten pages long, Marvel UK must have been reprinting it in insanely short chunks.

Rampage #33, Defenders vs the Headmen

There aren't many comics that take their inspiration from Spock's Brain but The Defenders are clearly not fussy where they get their adventures from. And so it is that the saga of Nighthawk's stolen cerebrum rumbles on.

I do like to think we get the spectacle of Dr Strange controlling Nighthawk's body with a remote-control device but I suspect that even the Defenders wouldn't stoop so low.

Come to think of it, Dr Strange is a surgeon. Does that mean we get a scene in which he has to get out his scalpel, dust off the old skills and re-install Nighthawk's brain while protesting that he's out of practise and that, "Once I could have performed this operation with ease! Why do my hands shake so violently now?" like he did every time he had to do surgery?

What I do know is that, this issue, our heroes rescue the brain from the Headmen, only for it to fall into the hands of Nebulon. Nighthawk's brain doesn't have a lot of luck, does it?

Mighty World of Marvel #296, Hulk vs Stingray

I can say nothing of the contents of this week's issue, other than that I can't help feeling Stingray's being a trifle optimistic in thinking he can take on the Hulk.

Super Spider-Man #277, vs the Sub-Mariner, Gil Kane pencils, art

Speaking of watery foes.

This is a strange case. Although I often have trouble remembering what happens in individual issues, I do usually recognise the covers. However, in this instance, the cover rings no bells for me at all.

From what I can gather, Spidey and Subby team up to take on Tiger Shark, Dr Dorcas and the Aquanaoids in a tale taken from the pages of Marvel Team-Up. Could the inclusion of Marvel Team-Up material be a sign of just how short of Spider-Man stories Marvel UK were getting as the UK mags caught up with the American ones?

Thinking about it, I don't know why I bothered asking that question. I think the answer to it's fairly obvious.

Complete Fantastic Four #36, vs Luke Cage, Power Man

I know little of this tale, other than that the Puppet Master is involved. I would, therefore, surmise that he's the reason Luke has turned against the FF.

Or, as Luke himself would put it, "You know it, baby!"

26 comments:

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

I don’t remember that Spider-Man comic either, but I definitely read it. There are future issues that I do remember and I wasn't missing any weeks at this stage.

As for Spock's brain, (i) there's a great condensed version of the episode on YouTube (link below), and (ii) at the risk of giving way my secret identity, whenever I get a text on my phone, it plays the Doctor McCoy "His bran is gone!" quote from that episode.

Link: https://youtu.be/2zKDQfVbWqc

Steve W. said...

Thanks for that link, Dangermash. It's a marvellous thing to be able to enjoy Spock's Brain in a pure, undiluted format.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve - the recent discussion on relative strength made me think...

Do you think Hulk is strong enough to crush Stingrays larynx?

Is Subby stong enough to snap Spidey's neck (Snap! LOL.)

Is Luke's forehead thick enough to withstand Sue's force field?

Could Luke head-butt Sue's force field back into her skull?

I mean, are we to take these covers seriously or is it just bait and switch time?

Killdumpster said...

I LOVED Marvel Team-Up! Most of the places that my parents let me get comics didn't have spinner racks, just magazine shelving where the "rack-jobbers" would put up whatever was on the truck.Living in the "sticks" meant that I only could choose comics that were leftover from the "city kids".

Spidey books were at a premium. The Spidey/Namor team-up was excellent. I believe it was GIL Kane. Great panel wI th Spidey web-waterskiing with Subs pulling him over the ocean. Tiger Shark
Is one of my favorite Subby villains.

Killdumpster said...

And when comics went up to 20 cents my mom acted like I was buying the Hope diamond.

Killdumpster said...

Oh, and Steve-

I found your previous post immensely entertaining, but almost equally exhausting. Even just watching mostly on the side-lines.

Bet you're good for 70 tons now.

Killdumpster said...

Maybe more if you're immersed.lol.

Killdumpster said...

As for what I was doing 40 years ago I was probably in my car with my girl at the time being intoxicated with Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa, Hendrix or Judas Priest playing full blast.

Killdumpster said...

The FF minus the Thing should have been able to defeat Cage with ease. I had subscriptions to 90% of Marvel's titles at the time, and I was most dismayed at this story line.

Uh-oh. Here we go again. Percieved power VS catalogue power VS artistic license power. YIKES!!!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

KD - Frank Zappa??? By chance... did you ever wake up in the morning with a zombie woof behind yer eyes?

Killdumpster said...

No, but I had Camarillo Brillo, laying along my head while enjoying the slime from my tv set. Dynamo-Hum & I have date to meet at St.Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast, then go to Joe's Garage.

Killdumpster said...

That is if I can avoid weasels ripping my flesh. But you are what you is. The white zone is for loading or unloading only. If you have to load, or unload, go to the white zone. It's a way of life.

Dont you jive me with your cosmic debris, Lol!

Great Googly Moogaly! I could keep this going alnight, but I have to attend my favorite baby seal who was injured by a fur trapper who was strictly commercial.

Killdumpster said...

For those wondering what the previous babble was about, they were references to Frank Zappa lyrics & albums.

For the uninitiated or curious, I recommend the following albums:

Apostrophe
Overnight Sensation
Zoot Allure
Sheik Yurbooti
Joe's Garage
You Are What You Is

The man was incredibly funny and one of the most underrated guitar players on the planet.

Timothy Field said...

Have we got the the Headsmen story in Rampage where one of them ends up with bat wings, lampreys for arms and a unicorn horn? I remember finding that hugely disturbing as a kid.

Steve W. said...

Timothy, I don't have a clue whether we've reached that point yet. It's certainly something to look forward to if we haven't.

Charlie, I'm sure that all those feats of strength, and many more, are possible.

Killdumpster, I must confess that Dancing Fool is the only Frank Zappa track that I know.

Anonymous said...

Tim, that disturbing sight did indeed occur in this Headmen story - in fact, it's the only thing about the story I can remember!

On May 31st 1978 I was still coming down to earth after seeing the amazing Star Wars the day before. But I remained indifferent about Star Wars Weekly.

I definitely remember the Spidey vs. Namor cover of Super Spider-Man - in my mind it is forever associated with me seeing Star Wars. And so is Savage Sword of Conan No.8 which will hopefully appear in next week's Steve Does Comics :)

Killdumpster said...

Steve-

Are you telling me that across the pond you folks never experienced the comiadic saga called "Yellow Snow"?

Charlie H47-

I saw Zappa at the Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh and it was one of the greatest concert experiences in my life.

Steve W. said...

Colin, I have no doubt at all that it'll be appearing.

Killdumpster, I can't say what other people on this side of the Atlantic have experienced but I must admit that I haven't experienced it.

Killdumpster said...

Steve-

I HIGHLY recommend. It's good for a few chuckles.

Timothy Fields-

When they started doing silly ongoing storylines in Defenders (Nebulon's Bozo cult, the Headmen, killer elf,etc) I lost interest in the title. It wasn't till they were in the "Lunatik" dimension (which all the villains & situations were inspired by BOC's Agents of Fortune album) that I started reading it again. The Scorpion Key, the return of Egghead & his pack of classic villains, Red Guardian & her nuclear boyfriend turning Russia into giant mushrooms, that's what brought me back. That and the Kirby-esque artwork.

I know a lot of you guys like Sal Buscema, but I couldnt handle the same facial expressions and undetailed backgrounds anymore.

Killdumpster said...

Worst yet, when the paper-towel tenacled, goateed bat unicorn transferred his brain into a baby fawn, I was definitely done.

Chandu I believe his name was. Then he transferred his brain into Nighthawk. Hmmm. Hey, Steve! Sounds like a post! Which is more formidable, Chandu/fawn or Chandu/Nighthawk?

Killdumpster said...

I got dollars on the deer.

Anonymous said...

Well, with Gerber you kinda had to expect the unexpected.
They should never have explained the Elf!
Better to have let my imagination run wild. I assumed he was one of Santa's helpers who got fired for drinking on the job and had a grudge. It happens all the time here.
And ah yes, the revenge of Vera Gemini.
Vera, we hardly knew ye. Did she ever show up in comics again?

M.P.

Killdumpster said...

I'm surprised Steve didn't mention her, with his affinity for fin-headed characters.

Killdumpster said...

She was a formidable villain.

Steve-

I think I remember she had THREE fish fins on her head. Great Googally Moogally!! HUUUSSAH!

Killdumpster said...

Wasn't there 3 or 5 Lunatiks, spouting off commercial catch phrases like "I'M KOO KOO FOR CO-CO PUFFS"? I think he was a warlord in the BOC dimension that got fragmented in "our" plane. Man, years. Ugh.

Killdumpster said...

Oops. I did research and found that Vera Gemini didn't operate out of another dimension, but in Mexico.

If you're not Latino, Mexico could seem like another dimension.

I was in Tijuana when I was 19 and it was wacky. Alot of fun tho.