Sunday 3 June 2018

Fifty years ago this month - June 1968.

June of 1968 was a great time for everyone who's ever wanted to live in a community made entirely of plastic bricks, because it was the month in which the first ever Legoland was opened, in Denmark. Fifty years later, there are eight Legolands, in seven nations. None of them is within walking distance of my house, which is an outrage.

It wasn't such a good time for people who wanted to live in New York apartment blocks that aren't packed solid with Satanists, though, because it was also the month in which Rosemary's Baby made its Devilish US premiere.

It was even less of a good time for fans of classic British comedy, because it was also the month in which legendary comic actor Tony Hancock died in New South Wales, thanks to a combination of amylobarbitone and vodka. Amazingly, he was only 44 at the time of his death.

Avengers #53, vs the X-Men

For me, it's one of the less interesting Avengers tales of this era, as our heroes take on the X-Men for reasons I can't recollect but which probably had something to do with the search for Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch.

I'm certain Magneto is involved and I have a horrible feeling that, fleeing the scene, at the climax, he abandons the Toad.

What a bounder. I always knew he was a wrong 'un.

Captain America #102, the Sleeper

Cap's still trying to stop the Red Skull's latest Sleeper and still, as far as I can remember, has a strip of nuclear tape stuck to him that'll blow him to Kingdom Come if he doesn't do something or other.

Daredevil #41, the death of Mike Murdock

The comic-book lovers of the world mourn as Mike Murdock meets his dread fate.

In the interests of honesty, I must declare that I see the death of Mike Murdock as one of the greatest things ever to have happened in the history of humanity and, for the life of me, I can't understand why there isn't a global holiday to celebrate it.

Fantastic Four #75, Galactus is back

Galactus may have given his word to never again try to destroy the Earth but that doesn't stop him threatening to destroy the Earth.

This time, he's going to do it if the FF don't hand over the Silver Surfer, in a tale that leads to the return of Psycho-Man.

Incredible Hulk #104, the Rhino

How can the Hulk possibly survive a confrontation with the Rhino, a man who's previously only ever been stopped by a single punch from Spider-Man?

Oh. Hold on. Wait a minute.

In fairness, the story doesn't leave you in any doubt that the Rhino's totally out of his depth in this encounter, to such a degree that the fight leaves him in a coma.

Iron Man #2

I do believe this issue sees the departure of Genial Gene Colan and the arrival of Johnny Craig.

I don't remember what Johnny Craig's nickname was. I assume it wasn't, "Jazzy." That was already taken. I don't think it was, "Jaunty," either. I think that belonged to Jim Mooney. And he certainly wasn't, "Judo," Johnny Craig. Perhaps he was, "Jovial," Johnny. That'd be nice for him.

As for the tale, from what I can recall, driven by envy of Tony Stark, a mad scientist creates a robot and sets it loose to cause nothing but trouble.

It sounds a bad situation all round but at least Tony Stark gets a new girlfriend out of it, in Janice Cord.

Amazing Spider-Man #61

It's the conclusion of the Brainwasher saga, as Spidey rescues Gwen and her dad from the deadly machinations of the Kingpin.

Thor #153

My memories are fuzzy but I think that Don Blake has to perform surgery of an unspecified nature upon Sif but then has to rush off to fight some force of evil or other, leaving the other surgeons to wonder what sort of man Blake is that he can abandon a patient halfway through an operation.

If I were them, I'd be asking myself, "Why is Don Blake being allowed to perform major surgery when he's a general practitioner, with a failed practice, and not a surgeon?" They're clearly very laissez-faire in those New York hospitals.

Needless to say, despite all that, it all ends happily and Sif makes a complete and total recovery.

X-Men #45, Quicksilver

I suspect this issue may set up the aforementioned clash with the Avengers. I've definitely read it on more than one occasion but can recall nothing of its contents. Still, it's nice to see an X-Men cover drawn by John Buscema.

21 comments:

TC said...

I read the X-Men/Avengers crossover when it was reprinted in Marvel Triple Action. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch had rejoined Magneto. Which, I guess, led to the obligatory misunderstanding and "heroes vs. heroes" fight when the Avengers arrived and found them fighting the X-Men.

At the end, Magneto's island blew up, and everyone escaped aboard the Avengers' jet aircraft. Except Magneto. The Toad, fed up with being bullied, deliberately stepped on Magneto's hand and caused him to fall off the ladder.

I think Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Toad stayed together for a while. I seem to remember them appearing in a Spider-Man story where Quicksilver tried to redeem himself by capturing Spidey (who, as usual, had been framed for a crime). And IIRC, the three of them were in whatever Avengers issue had the first appearance of Arkon.

X-Men #62 revealed that Magneto had survived, and the good guy mutants next encountered him in the Savage Land.





Steve W. said...

I love that story where Quicksilver sets out to fight Spider-Man. I love it when he decides he can beat Spidey by running round and round him, in circles. How that was supposed to beat our hero, I have no idea. And I love that Spidey defeats him by just sticking his arm out and letting Quicksilver run onto it and knock himself out.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Yowza... great art! But where's Steranko? Had he left Marvel?

There must have been a million of DD #41 published. I mean, it's everywhere at comic shows, rummage sales, wherever. Even the few kids I knew growing up, who read comics, if that had a single back issue it would be DD #41. And it really isn't all that monumental.

On the issue of strength, how strong is Spidey's web? For the sake of argument, that vessel weighs at least a few tons. If Spidey grabs the vessel, can his webbing carry a few tons? Where are the engineers out there? F=MA! How much force is that vessel applying to Spidey and his web as it accelerates with gravity at 9.8 meters / second squared???

Quicksilver was never the sharpest tool in the shed in the silver age... lol.

TC said...

AFAIK, Steranko must have still been at Marvel. He did pencils and scripts for Captain America #110-113 and for Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. in late 1968-early 1969.

Anonymous said...

Mike Murdock had it coming, I tell ya! He was really asking for it.

M.P.

Steve W. said...

There may be a small dose of 1968 Marvel Jim Steranko coming up tomorrow. I can give away no more than that.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

TC - you are absolutely correct! How could I forget those Cap covers by Steranko? It's no fun getting older...

Anonymous said...

A few years ago there was a play on Radio 4 which imagined Tony Hancock's final hour as he looks back at his life. I've always thought Hancock committed suicide but I think the play was non-committal on the subject.

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Presumably Spider-Man's webbing can hold 10 tons because Spider-Man isn't strong enough to snap it.

And a one inch thick webbing strand can hold the muscle bound thing captive for life according to an old pinup.

Then again Doc Ock with 3 tons/arm super strength can snap it. So who knows how strong it is?

< Quietly exits while all hell breaks loose again on Steve Dies Comics >

Steve W. said...

I've always assumed he committed suicide too, Colin.

Charlie, tomorrow's post is already written and there will definitely be a small dose of Jim Steranko in it.

Dangermash, was that old pin-up the one that Steve Ditko did? I do somehow regret that Marvel didn't permanently adhere to the claims made in those early Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby info pin-ups. It would have made the Marvel Universe so much simpler.

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Yes Steve, it was a Ditko one featuring the Fantstic Four. The webbing can hold the Thing if thick enough, stretch like Mr Fantastic, hod the Torch unless he flames to maximum intensity (?) and disappear like the Invisible Girl. I can’t find it online but I can tell you that it appeared in ASM Annual #1.

Joe S. Walker said...

Yes, Tony Hancock did commit suicide. He left a note saying "Things just seemed to go too wrong too many times".

Killdumpster said...

In all fairness to the Rhino, I think that he got irradiated in the Hulk tale, thus increasing his strength. Virtually somewhere between Thing and Hulk. Oh no, MAKE IT STOP!!!

Killdumpster said...

I think I remember reading that, but later Spidey webbing was said to disintegrate after an hour.

Killdumpster said...

The Rhino is good for 75 tons. Can run at 100 miles an hour, with impressive impact. Please, please... MAKE IT STOP!!!

Unknown said...

Steve W - I have to agree that keeping the powers simpler would have made for more interesting reading. I mean fighting the Enforcers may have seemed sillyish... but at least there was something akin to them possibly beating Spidey? (Perhaps Fancy Dan's good looks would have done it without the others?)

I recall reading the 3rd or 4th incarnation of the DC Universe that started 5 or so years ago. Superboy was portrayed in many ways as Supes was in 1939, 40, 41... running fast, using his powers in clever ways. It was fun reading! But then DC makes Supes virtually indestructible to anything but a Kale smoothie laced with Kryptonite... well that gets old watching guys trying to figure out how to lace his smoothie, now doesn't it?

After failing miserably at my understanding of the Associative and Transitive powers of math last week, I will try something simpler. Is that the 4th sleeper Cap is fighting?
(3 + 1 = 4?)

I can't sleep in anticipation of Steranko tomorrow! I'll try a couple Coor's Lights and see if that doesn't calm me down!

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember one incarnation of the Sleeper that was basically just a drone plane packed with explosives and a big Red Skull head mounted on top of it, for what I assume is dramatic effect.
That Red Skull, I tell ya...

Wait, Rachel, are you saying Superboy is no longer an extra-dimensional, psychopathic genocidal monster?
Wow, things change pretty fast over there at D.C.

On another note, a calm Hulk who's not angry is about at the 75 level, so theoretically the Rhino could knock him out if he charged him full speed from behind while the Hulk was calm and distracted, maybe looking at a flower or eating some beans.
The problem is, the Hulk would probably get back up at some point, and would no longer be calm. Then he'd shoot up to the 100 level and things would get ugly.

M.P.

Steve W. said...

Rachel/Charlie, I think it may have been described as, "The Final Sleeper," even though it then turned out there were others.

Anonymous said...

The 50th anniversary of Tony Hancock's death is on June 25th so hopefully the BBC will mark it in some way. Maybe they'll broadcast that aforementioned play again. Of course, Radio 4-Extra regularly broadcasts "Hancock's Half Hour" anyway.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Hey MP- you are recalling the trifecta of sleepers, the first ones attacked as a threesome. The flying wing and skull head combined and then picked up a robot of sorts and the combo flew around shooting death rays or some such thing. But I read all this in an early $.25 Captain America annual that reprinted the stories from Tales of Suspense.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Honestly I have no idea how that wing could supply sufficient lift to fly with a skull on top and a massive robot on the bottom!