Tuesday 5 June 2018

The Marvel Lucky Bag - June 1968.

A mere two days ago, I studied, in-depth, what the major Marvel mags cover-dated, "June 1968," had to tell us about the state of the world at that time.

But, of course, there were things missing.

And those were the adventures of Marvel's lower-profile mags.

So it is that, thanks to the Incredible Steve Does Comics Randomiser TM, I'm now taking a look at the more noteworthy efforts from that month's lesser lights. Can they possibly compete with the big-hitters?

Doctor Strange #169

As the cover proudly proclaims, at last we get the origin of Doctor Strange!

Hold on a minute. Hadn't we already had that?

More importantly, after all these years, thanks to the Marvel Expansion, the good Doctor finally gets his own mag and Marvel celebrate that fact in fine style by labelling it issue #169, meaning casual readers would never know the significance of the mag they held in their hands. You can't imagine a comics company doing that nowadays.

Captain Marvel #2, the Super-Skrull

Our favourite alien invader finds himself up against the Super-Skrull.

I haven't read this tale in almost forty years but I'm going to guess the Super-Skrull attacks the military base where Captain Marvel works, and Marvel has to protect it while making it look to Yon-Rogg that he isn't protecting it, while also trying to protect his secret identity from Carol Danvers, while the onlooking Una gets all jealous of her.

I could be misremembering but I have a feeling that was basically the plot of every early Captain Marvel tale, with only the name of the villain changing.

More epoch-makingly, was this story the first time we were told the Kree and the Skrulls are ancient and deadly enemies?

Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD #1, Jim Steranko

Doctor Strange isn't the only one getting his own mag, because so is Nick Fury.

Admittedly, he already had his own mag, in the form of Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos but now he has one in his secret agent guise as well.

In retrospect, it does seem remarkable that Fury managed to beat all the other Marvel heroes to be the first one to land two books.

Sub-Mariner #2, Triton

With a certain inevitability, Subby comes up against Marvel's other water-based hero.

I've no doubt a misunderstanding leads to a punch-up.

You'd have thought a punch-up between Namor and Triton would be a somewhat one-sided affair but, knowing Marvel logic, you somehow know it won't be.

Mmmmillie the Model #159

It's a Steve Does Comics first appearance for Millie the Model. I have a feeling that, for a long time in the 1960s, her book was Marvel's best-selling comic.

Admittedly, I may have made that up.

Then again, I may not have.

I'm not sure.

If I didn't make it up, what an outrage it is, therefore, that she wasn't included in Infinity War.

Unless the second movie contains the startling plot twist that Nebula is Millie the Model.

I could kind of see that being true.

Come to think of it, Karen Gillan once played Jean Shrimpton in a movie.

Could this really be no more than coincidence?

The more I think about it, the more certain I am that it couldn't be.

Regardless, I've never read a Millie the Model story. I do note that the cover has an Archie Comics feel to it. I assume that that also is not mere coincidence.

11 comments:

Steve W. said...

Not that I'm sad but I have just Googled, "Is Nebula Millie the Model?"

I am delighted to announce that I seem to be the first person ever to have asked that question.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve - Did you google "Whi is the green-white Marvell widely more popular than the red-blue Marvell" by chance?

Ummm... love that Steranko art baby!!!


I read CM #2 about a year ago and can't recall anything probably because I was enamored with the uniform and art. But I do recall them saying that Kree -Skrull were ancient enemies and suddenly the Marvel Universe of my youth made sense 50 years later!

Steve W. said...

Charlie, I must confess I still haven't got round to Googling that yet.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Well, don't bother. Despite all polls to the contrary, green-white Mar-vell is the champ for those of us who grew up with him. Later generations have their favorites...

Some older folks prefer Tab to Diet Coke, you know.

And, I really want to thank yo for digging up the 50-years ago covers. Makes my day! Thanks!

Steve W. said...

Thank you, Charlie.

Killdumpster said...

Well, Patsy Walker became Hellcat, so anything in the Marvel universe is possible.

I always preferred Diet-Rite cola back in the 60's over Tab.

Super Skrull is still one of my favorite villains. I had that Mar-Vell issue,and you're right Steve. Pretty much all the same plots.

I'm not even going to go into the the quagmire of Marv's costumes again, but just to say the original could've been streamlined a bit.

My buddy found a Steranko Fury Poster, in not too bad shape, at a flea market a couple years ago. That and a mint Rat Patrol Halloween costume. $8 for both. He kinda rubbed my nose in it with this find.

Killdumpster said...

Charley H47-

There's a real cool Mar-Vell green & white statue available online. I think it's boondockscollectables.com.

Checked my local comics chain a few weeks ago to see if Diamond was offering the retro 60's Marv shirt along with the new movie shirt, but no dice. Sorry I didn't get back to you on that.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Thanks KD. Old Marvell uniform is a fine piece of work for connoisseurs of Marvel Pop Culture.

I saw the statue somewhere and it was like $100 or so? Wee bit salty for this CH-47 commander LoL!

Diet-Rite over Tab??? I suppose you preferred Grape Nehi to Orange Crush???? You weren't a communist were you??? LOL!!!

Killdumpster said...

No, Diet-Rite was just the only pop that was in the house most of the time because my mom was trying after my littlest sister was born to lose weight.

If I drank soda at all, it was cheap stuff, semi-local brands like Space-Age Pop & Captain Nemo. 10 cents a bottle, with cool logos. Had to stretch the couch cushion money so I could buy comics.

Killdumpster said...

And the bottles were returnable. Lol

Killdumpster said...

If my sisters & I were good when we went to my grandparents, my dad would stop at the A&W drive-in resturant. We thought we were high-rolling, having a girl bring us a tray of root beers out to our car.