Thursday 5 July 2018

July 5th, 1978 - Marvel UK, 40 years ago this week.

Supporting Marvel UK in the 1970s really was a roller coaster ride. One week it was up. One week it was down. And you could never know which it was going to be.

Happily, July, 1978, found it on the up again, as our favourite comics company gave us a whole new book to read and was suddenly producing five titles a month.

But what would that new title be?

What?

What!?!

There's only one way to find out.

But, before we do that, I feel morally obliged to give a plug to the UK singles chart of this week in 1978. Having just taken a look at it, I have to say it must have been the greatest singles chart of any week ever. It was so busting with banging tunes, it's a miracle it didn't explode under the strain.

Seriously, just just take a look at that lineup. If there's nothing on it that floats your boat, that boat must have hit a rock and be lying at the bottom of the English Channel, with no chance of being salvaged even if Captain Nemo fills it with a balloon and inflates it.

Star Wars Weekly #22

I've no idea what happens in this one, other than that Luke and his droidal chums are up against a very nicely-drawn sea monster that I like to think is the same one that turned up in Doctor Who's Terror of the Zygons, and that it was achieved by use of the same hi-tech green screen as that one was.

Marvel UK, Savage Sword of Conan #9, the Slithering Shadow

I do believe The Slithering Shadow was originally a Robert E Howard tale.

I also believe that, as I've read every Robert E Howard Conan story, I must, therefore, have read it.

Which makes it odd that I don't have a clue as to just which Howard tale it is.

I don't think it's the one with the obelisks and the toad monster. The cover image would suggest it's not the one in the sewers with the octopus thing. I'm therefore at a total loss.

Regardless, I've no doubt that a damsel will need rescuing, a monster will need murdering and a sorcerer will need a good sword up him.

Mighty World of Marvel #301, the Incredible Hulk

This is another comic whose contents I'm not totally sure of, but I would assume the FF are still up against Gorr the gorilla.

It would seem the cover from this issue was reprinted in Marvel Treasury Edition #20, which is an honour indeed for a cover originally produced for a Marvel UK mag.

Marvel UK, Rampage Monthly #1, the Hulk attacks soldiers, with a tank

This is it! The big one! Marvel UK's future publishing direction starts to become more clearly defined, as, presumably inspired by the sales of Savage Sword of Conan, Rampage makes the move to a monthly schedule.

Looking at that cover, its lineup isn't that strong. It's basically just the one from the weekly mag, with the black and white Hulk tales thrown in but, soon, it will add the New X-Men to its roster and instantly become indispensable to all lovers of great comics.

Super Spider-Man #292, the Punisher and the Hitman

As demanded by you the Steve Does Comics reader, J Jonah Jameson is to be found dangling from the Statue of Liberty - or at least dangling from Spider-Man who's dangling from the Punisher who's not dangling from the Statue of Liberty.

I suppose it's one way of preventing our hero from simply blocking the Hitman's gun, with webbing, which would somewhat instantly put an end to his menace.

12 comments:

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

The new X-Men should be in MWOM and the Invaders shoved out into one of those monthly magazines that none of us longstanding Marvel UK readers are interested in.

And I agree that that pop chart is quite amazing. Back then nobody was interested in whatever was outside the top 40 (of top 30 if they only watched the telly and didn’t listen to the radio) but there's so much stuff in the 41-75 bubblers that I could still sing along to.

Killdumpster said...

Pretty funny seeing the Smurfs & a song from the Grease soundtrack sharing the top 30 with BOC, Sabbath & the Pistols.

Believe you got the tingles seeing Kate Bush climbing the charts.

Heard Ozzy hated the Never Say Die album, as well as Technical Ecstasy. I think both albums were excellent. Fresh amount of experimenting with their signature sound.

Killdumpster said...

When Never Mind The Bullocks came out I was still in my hard rock/heavy metal stage. I wasn't till I went to art school and was partying with kids from New York that I was exposed correctly to punk rock. They turned me on to the Pistols, Clash, Siouxsie, Iggy, Ramones, Kennedy's, Misfits & more. Totally changed my life. For good or ill is still up for personal debate. Lol.

Killdumpster said...

My best friend owned a record store in Butler PA that I managed. He also had a live sound production company that we booked shows out of the shop. I'd come into the shop and he'd say "Guess who we're working with this weekend."

I was a GAS. Outside of a hand full of steady local bands we worked for, I set up & operated sound & light equipment for GBH, Dead Milkmen, Anthrax, Agent Orange, Tex & the Horseheads, JFA, DRI and a lot of has-beens & up-in-comers.

Best 10 years of my life. Chicks galore. Girls love a "roadie", seeing you up on stage setting up equipment,running cables, and playing instruments for sound check. Most all places gave us free beer also. Greatest job I ever had.

Anonymous said...

RE Killdumpster

I get the tingles seeing Kate Bush climb on anything.

M.P.

Simon B said...

As Kildumpster says, this is a hugely diverse chart from the era when EVERYBODY bought singles, from little kids to old coffin-dodgers, something you'd never see today. A Top 40 featuring Kate Bush, AC/DC, The Clash, The Wailers AND the mighty Darts? Looks good to me!
Also, two of my fave one-hit wonder singles of the '70s, Dancin' In The City and Substitute... sublime.
Oh yeah, the comics look pretty cool too...

Timothy Field said...

The 70s was a great era for popular music. The overlap of rock and roll, disco and punk made for interesting charts.
The Rampaging Hulk seems an odd fit for Rampage now (title aside) MWOM must have been catching the US Hulk comic fast by this point, I wonder if they considered using it there instead?

Steve W. said...

Thanks for all your comments. They are appreciated, as always.

This is my list of personal faves from that chart:

Airport - The Motors.

Dancin' in the City - Marshall Hain.

Man with the Child in his Eyes - Kate Bush (I have just accidentally mistyped, "Kate Bush," as, "Kate Butch." What a great tribute act that would be).

Miss You - The Rolling Stones.

Like Clockwork - The Boomtown Rats.

Davy's on the Road Again - Manfredd Mann's Earthband.

Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult.

Ca Plane Pour Moi - Plastic Bertrand.

Run For Home - Lindisfarne.

Wild West Hero - ELO.

Substitute - Clout.

The Boy From New York City - Darts.

Movin' Out - Billy Joel.

If I Can't Have You - Yvonne Elliman.

How Can This Be Love? - Andrew Gold.

What a Waste - Ian Dury.

Pump it Up - Elvis Costello.

5705 - City Boy.

Because the Night - Patti Smith.

Forever Autumn - Justin Hayward.

Life's Been Good - Joe Walsh.

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...


I tried and failed to come up with a top five. In the end I came up with a top ten, in no particular order...

Dancin'' in the City - Marshall Hain

Ca Plane Pour Moi - Plastic Bertrand.

Pump it Up - Elvis Costello.

Because the Night - Patti Smith.

Forever Autumn - Justin Hayward.

Life's Been Good - Joe Walsh

No-One Is Innocent / My Way - Sex Pistols

Shame - Evelyn Champagne King

Night Fever - The Bee Gees

Disco Inferno - The Trammps

Killdumpster said...

Lol!

Killdumpster said...

I would have to sermize that "Kate Burch" would be an all lesbian tribute band.

Killdumpster said...

Meant "Butch". Durn spell check. Or beers.