Sunday 9 December 2018

Forty years ago today - December 1978.

Mere minutes after I finish writing this post, the Doctor Who Season 11 climax will air. What thrills and spills will Chris Chibnall fling at us? Will old foes return? Will new foes emerge?

But, you know what? There's something even better than a climax.

And that's an anti-climax.

It's true. If anti-gravity is better than gravity, and anti-matter is fancier than matter, then anti-climax must be better than climax.

In that case, we're all in luck because if there's one thing my struggle to make sense of the Marvel comics of forty years ago is bound to be, it's an anti-climax.

Avengers #178, the Beast

Apparently, this issue features the Beast vs the Manipulator.

I must confess to not having a clue who the Manipulator is.

I am, however, assuming he or she isn't an evil chiropractor.

I shall ask Google, in order to find out.

...

I have now asked Google, and the Manipulator would seem to be a two-faced robot created by Machinesmith.

When I say, "Two-faced," I mean that he literally has two faces, not that he's a notorious hypocrite.

He may also be a hypocrite but I can offer no confirmation of that.

Either way, it would appear he went on to meet his fate when someone shot him in the head.

In fairness to him, most of us would meet our fate if someone shot us in the head.

Conan the Barbarian #93

In this issue, Bêlit is offered the crown of Asgalun but doesn't want it.

I can only conclude that she's a very hard to please woman.

Fantastic Four #201

I must confess I've never been a fan of split covers, and this issue does nothing to convince me I'm wrong.

I've also never been a fan of Quasimodo - and it turns out he's the villain of the piece.



Iron Man #117

This month's book is a landmark issue because it introduces a whole bunch of new characters I've never heard of. It introduces Senator Mountebank, Adam, Buck Richlen, Val Adair and Bethany Cabe.

I have no doubt that my ignorance of these people reflects more discredit upon me than it does upon them.

Fortunately, I can redeem myself by pointing out that Spymaster's in it too - and I have heard of him, so I'm not a total lost cause.

Amazing Spider-Man #187, Captain America and Electro

Unlike with the Iron Man tale, I've no doubt whatsoever that I've read this story.

But, strangely enough, I've no more memory of it than I have of that one. I'm starting to feel that any Spidey story reprinted by Marvel UK after the Dez Skinn Revolution has totally failed to lodge in my mind.



Spectacular Spider-Man #25, the Masked Marauder

It's the return we all wanted to see, as the Masked Marauder captures Spidey when the wall-crawler tries to prevent the Maggia committing a robbery.

More importantly, this issue sees the debut of Carrion, otherwise known as the clone of the late Professor Warren.

Poor Professor Warren. I do feel he deserved more respect than the writers ever gave him. It does make me sad that the man who took Peter and Gwen on a trip to see that device that made Doc Ock's arms malfunction ended up being turned into a foaming-at-the mouth, weirdo pervert bad guy.

Thor #278

The new Thor's making friends and influencing people, as he seeks to take the old Thor's place.

Not that he does it for long, as he's popped his clogs by the end of the tale.

Uncanny X-Men #116

Can the X-Men prevent Garokk and Zaladane destroying the Savage Land?

Of course they can.

I always had a soft spot for Garokk. If I was going to be a super-villain, he's the sort of super-villain I'd be.
Incredible Hulk #230

Judging by the cover, I'd assumed this one involves the return of the Locust but my vast online research would suggest it doesn't. It seems to revolve around some kind of alien bug.

I does, however, feature a character called Lumpy.

I have no idea who Lumpy is.

More intriguingly, the tale was written by Elliot S! Maggin, a man I associate so strongly with DC and with Superman that I had no idea he'd ever written for Marvel.

Captain America #228, the Constrictor

After failing miserably to defeat the Hulk in the only tale I've ever read that features him, the Constrictor decides to try his luck against Captain America, who I would say is more his level.

Having said that, I've no doubt the star-spangled superstar will quickly see him off.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the Masked Marauder. Again with this guy. Cool name, and the cape, hood and goggles were kinda cool. It's probably the outfit I would put together if I decided to become a super villain. And I maybe I will, the way things are going. I'm not ruling anything out at this point. All options are on the table. I don't know where I'm gonna get a ray gun.
But what was the Marauder after? What was his plan? Why keep getting beaten up like that all the time? We may never know the whole story.
Ah, M.M., we hardly knew ye.

M.P.

Killdumpster said...

Ah yes, the premium villians; Quasimodo, Locust, Constricter & "New/Real" Thor. What a great month. Yippee.

I really got tired of the whole Jackal/ Carrion/clone deals in the Spidey books. It was about that time I slacked off reading/buying.

The Avengers cover was a horrible pose for the Beast. It looks like he's snaking up to a stripper pole to give it a spin.

At least they gave us Spymaster & Elektro that month.

Anonymous said...

A ray-gun, M.P.? Wouldn't you be better off figuring out how to get a super-power of some sort? You don't want to end up as a Daredevil villain.
Wasn't the Marauder in the Maggia? I expect he was after money.

The Manipulator worked for Maggia types, only it turned out some secret agents from "the company" were behind them. Perhaps Avengers #178 - a pretty good done-in-one by Steve Gerber - was some sort of comment on the MKUltra program or something.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Money couldn't have been all he was after, Sean. You don't need a ray gun to get rich in America.
All you need here is a positive self-image and a complete lack of integrity.

M.P.

Killdumpster said...

MP-

I would think the "lack of integrity" also includes a very caked-on Brown nose, am I right? Lol!

Anonymous said...

Well M.P., that just shows what a rubbish villain the Marauder was. Steve has the right idea - if he becomes a super-villain he's going to be ruling over prehistoric lands and have a hot high-priestess.
Personally, I would want my own east European country, robot doubles and a time machine.

-sean

Anonymous said...

I want a satellite with a death ray.
I'll settle for a secret base inside a dormant volcano.

M.P.

Anonymous said...

With a monorail, M.P.?
You can't have a secret base inside a dormant volcano without an underground monorail system, not if you want to be a super-villain with any style.

-sean

Killdumpster said...

If I were a supervillian I would like to have an army of geo-metric slinkies, like in the film "Demon Seed".

Anonymous said...

And lots of expendable minions.
If they bungle whilst carrying out my master plans, no mercy.

M.P.

Killdumpster said...

Oh, if I was truly evil, then Satan would also endow me with a huge pack of possessed Dobermans/Rottweilers, and the Kraken from "Clash of the Titans".

That and the Demon Seed slinkies would keep a lot of people off my ass. Now that I think about it, I'd be happy with a volcanic island, with the previously stated defenses.

Guess I'd be just a dime-store villain.

Anonymous said...

M.P., minions are always bungling master plans, thats why you need robot doubles. As well as for keeping your enemies guessing.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Again with the robot doubles, Sean.
I'm starting to wonder about you, a little bit.

M.P.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Any of you ever wonder what type of animal were used to make the loin cloths for Conan and Belitt? I mean, they seem especially hairy / furry this iteration? Or no and I am just imagining things?

Anonymous said...

Charlie, the Conan saga is set around 12,000 years ago so maybe Conan's and Belit's furry garb is made from a now-extinct animal such as the cave bear or the woolly mammoth :)

Poor Belit has no choice but to reject the throne of Asgulun as she's due to die in Conan #100, foretold by Robert E. Howard. She can't escape her destiny.

Steve, you say Dr. Who is currently in Season 11 - new Who returned in 2005, 13 years ago, so surely there have been more than 11 seasons?
And isn't "season" rather American?
And Dr. Who began in 1963 so don't all the years of classic Who count or is 2005 now regarded as "year zero"?

Steve W. said...

I too have always assumed that Conan and Bêlit got their clothing by strangling cave bears.

Colin, even though Doctor Who's been back for thirteen years, there hasn't been a season every year, so we're only just now at the end of Series 11. Numbering of the show did indeed restart with the 2005 relaunch. If I remember rightly, the original run was officially made up of seasons and the modern run is officially made up of series. Therefore, Season One was in 1963 and Series One was in 2005.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I can't believe I mis-spelled Belit! Is that crazy or what???

Actually, now that I look more closely, Conan seems to be wearing skin leather like from a pig whereas she seems to be wearing hairy / furry leather like from a bear or woolly mammoth!

Hey - someone is trying to tell me to check out the 50th anniversary "Beatles Yellow Submarine" socks, for Xmas. THey look cool but at $14 / pair I'm not sure my feet will be all that excited. Any of you got a pair?

B Smith said...

Regarding that Avengers issue, there are times when a story just doesn't seem to make sense, but in a good way. This issue was one of them. Even today, I probably couldn't tell you exactly what it all meant, but it was just so well-scripted that I don't think it really matters.

Anonymous said...

That Yellow Submarine cartoon kinda spooked me when I was a little kid. I wasn't prepared for the imagery of a bad acid trip at age five.
I do love the music, though.

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Steve, thanks for that Dr. Who info :)

Steve W. said...

You're welcome, Colin.

MP, Yellow Submarine was a film I loved when I first saw it at the age of twelve. Sadly, I do find it virtually unwatchable now.

B, sadly, I don't think I've ever read that Avengers issue.

dbutler16 said...

That issue of the Avengers is one of the worst Avenger issues ever, though that is just a blip.

That FF issue is mediocre, too. Quite a come-down after the classic #200.

I’ve heard of Bethany Cabe, but none of those other new Iron Man characters.

Yeah, you’re right it’s a bit sad what happened to Professor Warren.

Very good Thor issue, part of the umpteenth Ragnarok.

Yet another classic X-Men issue. What a roll those guys were on!

Decent Hulk issue. Pretty typical Bronze Age Hulk fare. I guess I hadn’t realized it was written by Elliot S! Maggin, either. I’m with you, I associate him with DC.

Also a decent, if unspectacular Captain America issue. And yeah, you’re right, the constrictor doesn’t fare too well against Cap, IIRC.

Steve W. said...

Hi, D. Thinking about it, the X-Men issue is the only one where I have any memory at all of ever having read it.

Steve W. said...

Thinking about it even more, I should add that I mean it's the only one of this month's comics I remember reading. Not that it's the only issue of the X-Men that I remember reading.

dbutler16 said...

Yeah, I figured that was what you meant, Steve. :-)