Tuesday 5 February 2019

The Marvel Lucky Bag - February 1969.

One of my earliest memories of school was of us being made to do gymnastics to the somewhat soporific sound of Fleetwood Mac's Albatross.

But there was a good reason why it was in our gym teacher's thoughts, as it kicked off February of 1969 at Number One on the UK singles chart.

It was then succeeded by the Move's Blackberry Way and then (If Paradise Is) Half As Nice by Amen Corner.

Obviously, I'm well familiar with the Move, thanks to the presence of Roy Wood, later of ELO, Wizzard and Christmas fame but I must confess my knowledge of Amen Corner comes almost entirely from their strange guest slot in the horror movie Scream and Scream Again, which featured a gang of rubber murderers on the loose.

The final British Number One of that month was Where Do You Go To (My Lovely) by Peter Sarstedt, a song surely invented for buskers to sing, even though I've never heard a busker singing it.

On the album charts, things were dominated by three LPs; The White Album, The Best of the Seekers, and Diana Ross and the Supremes Join the Temptations. All of which claimed the top spot at some point that month.

I must confess to having been previously unaware of the collaboration between the Supremes and the Temptations. Thanks to this blog, I learn something new every day.

And you know what else I've learnt?

I've learnt what some of the less high-profile Marvel mags that bore that month's name were up to.

Captain Marvel #10

Granted, I've not learnt that much because I haven't the slightest clue what happens in this one.

Apparently, it features someone called The Organisation, which is a very generic name. I assume they're bad guys but what their aims are, I couldn't say.

Dr Strange #117

That bounder Asmodeus has taken on the form of Dr Strange, in order to fool the Ancient One for, no doubt, nefarious purposes.

As a result, the real doctor suddenly decides to start dressing like a super-hero.

Somehow, this all leads to Ymir and Surtur being unleashed upon the world and a crossover with this month's Avengers issue, as discussed mere days ago.

Mick Fury Agent of SHIELD, the Hatemonger

The Hate-Monger's back!

And he's still Hitler!

Or at least he's another Hitler. It seems there were a lot of them about, back then.

Adolf's out to launch a nuclear attack on every nation on Earth.

He also has a collection of the still-active brains of all his former advisers.

The tale also seems to feature dinosaurs.

I don't have a clue what's going on.

Silver Surfer #4, Thor

It's a classic cover for  a tale in which Loki tricks the Silver Surfer into going to Asgard and battling Thor.

I've still never read this tale. I shall have to do so at some point.

This cover's credited to John Buscema but you can tell brother Sal had a sizable input too because Thor has very big wings on his hat, very big boot flaps on his knees, and the back of his cape rises high above his shoulders, all of which were Sal hallmarks when drawing Thor, rather than those of John.

The Sub-Mariner #10, the Barracuda

I do believe this tale gives us the origins of both the Serpent Crown and the kingdom of Lemuria.

Whether it gives us the origin of Captain Barracuda as well, I couldn't say.

For that matter, is that him on the cover? If so, I have to say he doesn't look like he did in that Hulk story he turned up in. In that, he was a normal-looking man with a beard and an eye patch.

14 comments:

Timothy Field said...

That Silver Surfer cover has to be in my all-time top ten I think.

Simayl said...

I remember the Nick Fury cover from issue 98 of the British Suspense title, published by Alan Cass. I think you need to do a blog or two about the Cass comics!

dangermash said...

What I was saying before about how this could be the greatest month ever for Marvel artwork?

Well, if Silver Surfer #4 also came out then then it's case closed. It's outstanding.

Just a shame that Avengers #84 didn’t come out in the same month as SS #4 and Cap #110. Avengers #61 is pretty good, mind.

Steve W. said...

That Surfer cover is indeed a magnificent beast.

Simayl, I've done the odd post about Alan Class comics but not for a long time.

Anonymous said...

If you like the cover, you really should try and find that story from Silver Surfer #4 Steve - with the Surfer whinging as much as ever its not a great read particularly, but it does look fantastic.
I'm in the minority round these parts not being much of a fan of Sal Buscema's work, but he was undoubtedly one of his brother's best inkers.

With the dream team of Gene Colan and Tom Palmer on Dr Strange #177 looking even better, I'm inclined to think dangermash may well be correct. Although Don Heck's work on Captain Marvel #10 doesn't really help make his case.
Mind you, I still expect Charlie to rave about the green costume. And the comics being in alphabetical order.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Btw, the Kick Out the Jams album by the MC5 came out this month in '69 - maybe that inspired the Captain Marvel cover?

-sean

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Dudes... For today I have moved beyond my usual profound appreciation of the green CM!

SS #4 has a magnificent cover. Charlie would rate it second, though, to SS # 15. (Which I assume we'll see around March next year?)

OK - I am heading to the long boxes to read CM 10. I suspect that Don Heck's art will compensate for my having run out of grape nuts cereal.

Can anyone explain why Doc Strange had a mask?

Anonymous said...

It was because of the European Union Charlie.
Just kidding (duh, obviously). Here you go, all you need to know about Doc's mask -
www.bronzeageofblogs.blogspot.com/2014/12/dr-strange-in-blue-face.html
Plus, you get a whole story (seeing as you were going on about reading a comic online the other day)

-sean

dangermash said...

Wow, I just checked out that link to Doctor Strange #180. If #177 was anything like that, you can chalk up another Marvel Masterpiece for February 1969!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

OK, I Did read (more like lightly skim) CM 10 last night. The story actually may be interesting but, alas, I need to let you know that CM 11 is probably the last issue. At the end of CM 10, CM is up against a tree and literally only a few seconds away from execution for "betraying his own people." So that's that...


Much more interesting is Stan's Soap Box. Entry #1 lauds Cap 110 and Steranko and Lee finally (?) working together. The last sentences saying Jack Kirby has left Captain America to provide him, and Stan, the time to work on something that will be "the blockbuster of 1969!" Anyone know what that would have been? I can't think of anything big in 69, off hand.

P.S. the Marvel Plastic Pillows and sweatshirts are on sale in these issues! I'd give my left eye-tooth for the green CM sweatshirt!!!

dangermash said...

Charlie - I reckon Stan's talking about the Inhumans strip in Amazing Adventures. We're too late for the FF annuals where Sue announces the pregnancy and then has the baby. Hardly the blockbuster of the year.

Anonymous said...

J' adore Where Do You Go To My Lovely - c'est magnifique, non?

Steve W. said...

It makes me want to get my accordion out and play it.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I want to practice sipping Napoleon brandy and not getting my lips wet...