Sunday 24 February 2019

Captain America #135 - More Monster Than Man!

Captain America #135, gorilla
There was once a long-standing belief in the American comic book industry that the sure-fire way to sell any book was to put a gorilla on the front of it.

Whether that theory was correct or not, I can neither confirm nor deny, being bereft, as I am, of a doctorate in psychology but, in retrospect, perhaps the industry had a point.

My reading of American comics began in earnest in that hot summer holiday of 1972 when green flies, black flies and ladybirds seemed to be waging a vast war against each other wherever you looked. I'd read one Spider-Man comic before that and one Superman comic but it was during that holiday that my super-hero reading truly became a, "thing."

And one of that very first batch of American comics I read was Captain America #135, which did indeed have something that vaguely resembled a gorilla on the front of it.

Had the presence of the sinister simian led me to buy it from that Blackpool indoor market stall? Or was it some other quality that had piqued my interest?

I don't know but I do know that, once I got it open, the thing that most gripped me about the story was Captain America's costume. That collision of colour and shapes was like taking LSD, opening up a whole new way of viewing the world, for me. Once you'd seen a thing like that, how could you ever go back to drab reality?

Well, that's all well and good but that was then. What of now? Reading that tale again, for the first time in decades, what do I make of it?

Captain America #135
I make of it that it's great. Facially challenged SHIELD boffin Doctor Gorbo dreams of wooing his youthful assistant Julia who only joined SHIELD in the hope of finding a boyfriend. I assume she didn't tell Nick Fury that at the job interview or I suspect another candidate might have got the position.

Sadly, Julia might be desperate for a man but she's not so desperate that she'd settle for Dr Gorbo. In response, Gorbo reacts as the lovelorn have always done throughout the centuries, and makes himself a serum from ape blood and then swallows it.

No, it's not some kind of weird suicide attempt. It's an attempt to become a Captain America style he-man who can sweep Julia off her feet.

Captain America #135, Ape!
Unfortunately, he instead becomes a King Kong style gorilla who could sweep anyone off their feet, by sheer brute force alone.

However, he's not just any ape. He's a criminal ape. Armed with genius intelligence, super-strength and the power to mentally control dogs (No, I'm not sure how the last bit ties in thematically with him being a super-ape) he goes on a crime spree.

Needless to say, it's not long before Cap and Falc are on his tail and failing to stop him.

But, in between all this, there's the small matter of a huge drill that's going to dig a hole deep enough for the world's nuclear waste to be buried in.

And wouldn't you know it? No sooner do Cap and the gorilla start fighting but they manage to inadvertently fall down it.

Captain America #135, drill
Are they doomed?

Are they about to go splat when they hit the bottom?

We'll have to wait for next month's issue, to find out.

Actually, I had to wait five or six years to find out, when Part Two of the tale was finally reprinted in Marvel UK's Super Spider-Man comic.

Captain America #135, death plunge
In all honesty, a number of the very earliest comics I read as a child have turned out to be less than special when I've re-read them as a grown-up but this one is a definite exception. We get to see the Falcon meet Nick Fury for the first time and prove his fighting skills by grappling with Dum Dum Dugan. We get some trademark Stan Lee soap opera, as Cap tries to patch things up with Sharon Carter after their latest bust-up. We get a super-intelligent gorilla, a big machine that's drilling down into the depths of the Earth and we get a dramatic ending. What more could you ask to be crammed into a twenty page story? And there really is something strangely compelling about the sight of Cap and his opponent plunging down into a bottomless pit.

Most of all, there's Gene Colan's art which is amongst the most appealing I've ever seen from him, aided considerably by Tom Palmer who is, surely, indisputably the best inker Colan ever had or ever could have had.

So, maybe I did buy the thing purely because it had an ape on the cover.

Or maybe I didn't.

But I can safely say that, in convincing me to get, it, the comic certainly didn't make a monkey out of me.

23 comments:

dangermash said...

That Colan artwork looks amazing.

My favourite gorilla related cover, though, has to be Avengers #78, with the Man-Ape holding a defeated Cap and Black Panther in the air as the rest of the team gape wide mouthed in a way that only John Buscema could make them do.

Simayl said...

Love that cover! Gorilla, Cap and Falcon's green costume, what's not to like? Captain America was a great read at this point in time and continued to be so for most of the early seventies.

Anonymous said...

Digging a deep hole to bury nuclear waste underground? What could possibly go wrong there?
And can the Mole Man be far away...?

Enjoyed the review Steve, especially as you don't do so many these days (thats not intended as a complaint about the blog generally btw). The asides - about buying American comics on holiday in a seaside town, or not knowing what happened til some years later in a Marvel UK reprint - generally strike a chord, and your take on the comic itself is usually spot on.

-sean

Steve W. said...

Thanks, Sean. I am planning to do more reviews in the foreseeable future. After getting bored with doing them, I feel more enthusiastic about the idea at the moment.

Simayl, the colour was definitely a major selling point of American comics when I first started reading them.

Dangermash, I think I am going to have to put some thought into what is my favourite gorilla related cover.

TC said...

Supposedly, DC found that comics with apes on the cover sold well. At the same time, they did not want to over-saturate the market, so the rule in the 1960s was that one (and only one) DC comic each month would have a gorilla cover.

That's the legend, anyway. It's mentioned in Julius Schwartz's autobiography, and by Les Daniels in his history of DC.

I doubt if there was a hard-and-fast rule, or a specific number. Maybe the publisher or editor-in-chief warned against over doing it.

In fact, IIUC, they had nine ape covers in 1966, and seven in 1967. So, sometimes, there would be months without any apes on the covers. And, a couple of times, two in the same month (Brave & Bold and Star-Spangled War Stories in Feb. 1966, and Plastic Man #7 and Jerry Lewis #103 in September 1967).

It seems to have decreased in 1968, except for Angel & the Ape, which ran for about ten issues or so. But they couldn't very well keep the co-star, Sam Simeon, off of the covers of his own comic.

Don't know offhand about other publishers, but I know Charlton was publishing Konga, and Gold Key was publishing Tarzan, at about that same time.

AFAIR, Marvel did not go in for apes in general or gorillas in particular all that much. It seemed to me that their main thing was robots and androids.

I never had Cap #135, but I had #136, which concluded the story.

Conversely, and speaking of reading the conclusion years later, I had the issue of Thor that introduced Ego the Living Planet, but I never had the next issue. So I did
not read the conclusion until it was reprinted in Marvel Spectacular.

Comicsfan said...

Actually, Sean, if I were the Mole Man, and it looked like my domain was on the verge of becoming a lethally radioactive landfill, I'd make sure I was as far away as my Moloids could take me! :)

Anonymous said...

Pshaw, Comicsfan - the Mole Man didn't let a bit of radiation worry him when he took down nuclear power stations in FF #1.
(And besides, I'm not sure how far the Moloids could carry him anyway)

-sean

Timothy Field said...

The panel showing Gorbo after his transformation rings a very loud bell for me, I must have read this story in the pages of Super Spider-Man. Interestingly, I was never a fan of Colan's art in the b&w reprints but the original colours change my opinion completely.

Anonymous said...

My first ever Marvel comic was Marvel UK's Planet Of The Apes No.5 which had apes on the cover :D

Steve W. said...

Colin, proof positive that you can't go wrong with gorillas.

Tim, I always liked Colan's work but he did need the right inker to make the most of it.

Sean and Comicsfan, from what I recall of the next issue, the Mole Man was very put out by the surface-dwellers' plan and instantly declared war on mankind.

TC, thanks for the ape/covers info.

Redartz said...

Steve- great review. Over here stateside those ape covers seemed to pop up with amazing frequency, especially at DC (as TC noted). And of course 1974 brought the ultimate Ape experience in Marvel's "Planet of the Apes" magazine.

Also, Steve, I totally concur- Tom Palmer's inks were the best over Colan. Obviously the Powers that Be at Marvel thought so, as they were so often paired. Oh, those classic Dr. Strange tales...

Simayl said...

Colan and Palmer were also paired for almost the entire run of Tomb of Dracula, excellent stuff!

Steve W. said...

Thanks, Redartz. I can't remember too much ape action going on on the covers of British comics, although one of the very first British comics I remember "reading" was an issue of Cor which featured a character called Gus the Gorilla on it. I say, "reading," in quotes because it was before I even learned how to read and I had to ask my dad and sister to translate the words for me.

Simayl, I'd say Colan and Palmer's work together on Dracula was my favourite work by them.

Anonymous said...

I also remember Cor, Steve. You might be interested to know that the editorial team included one Dez Skinn, who also wrote some of the stories.
Or, you know, you might not.

-sean

Steve W. said...

Thanks for the info, Sean. I never realised Dez had played such a pivotal role in my early childhood.

B Smith said...

We must be of a similar vintage - this issue was the first Captain America comic I ever ever bought. I was vaguely aware of the character through the occasional British weekly that appeared as if by magic in the house (older brother, probably) and those Marvel Super Hero cartoons...still, this was the mania started....

Steve W. said...

By the time I got this, I think I was familiar with most of the Marvel universe, thanks to having a copy of the 1968 Spider-Man annual which featured a cameo by virtually every Silver Age character the company had. Sadly, Cap wasn't in that annual, so he was completely new to me when I first read this one.

Redartz said...

Steve- funny that you mention "Cor". Over the weekend I bought a pile of old comics at an estate auction, and among them were several issues of that comic (paper? tabloid?). I'd never heard of it before, and Googled them. Gus is pretty cool...

Steve W. said...

I've just taken a look at some old Cor! covers on eBay. What most strikes me about them is that at the bottom of the cover, it used to list its retail price for a bazillion different parts of the world, like Malaysia, Malta, Australia, New Zealand and a whole bunch of places in Africa. It gives it a weirdly 1940s Imperial vibe.

Anonymous said...

That seems quite appropriate Steve, as British comics of the 70s often had something of a weirdly 1940s imperial vibe inside too.

-sean

Killdumpster said...

Colan's Cap was just as great as his DD, in my humble option. During that time period, if Cap was on the rack, it was a "first grab".

When I first saw the cover of #135, I thought it was yet another return of "Gorilla-Man", from Marvel's horror/sci-fi comics (apparently he sold enough copies that they did a couple stories with him. There's that "gorillas sell!" again.)

My favorite Colan Cap issue would have to be #130. Cap vs the Hulk! Until you find out its a movie that Steve Rogers' is watching. I thought to my 3rd grade self, "Boy, it would be so great for Marvel to make movies!" Lol!!

Between that, saving a dean from a campus riot, Cap on his bike, and Batroc's Brigade (featuring silver-age favs Whirlwind & Porcupine), I thought I really got the most out of my pennies.

The weird thing about that issue was, Whirlwind on the cover was in his "newer" costume, but inside he was drawn in a type of his "Human Top" suit, and I believe it was purple with a blue head-piece.

I wonder if Colan got the script, was unfamiliar with Whirlwind, found out he was the Human Top, and drew him that way. Then there was a coloring error. Anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Killdumpster said...

Thinking about it, I can't help but think Stan Lee was inspired by Bela Lugosi's movies "Ape Man" or "Murders In The Rue Morgue". Both involved man-to-ape transformation. Maybe even Karloff's "The Ape", though he was just a scientist committing crimes in a gorilla skin in that film.

Anonymous said...

first cap I bought on the spinner was 128 where he fight a biker gang. I then jumped forward and started buying it again during the Grey Gargoyle saga around 140ish and was hooked. Not sure why the gap.

I mean, I really dug Falcon's green uniform way more than the "primary color" red-white thing later (I feel the same about the original Cpt Mar-vell uniform too. That green-white thing was a true inspiration of genius!)

FWIW for Red, et al. Rebellion is publishing a "Cor" Special in APril!!! Face Front and re-order!!!

I am not a robot today.