Sunday 2 June 2019

Fifty years ago this month - June 1969.

Myriad have been the pivotal moments in human history.

But, surely, none can have been more pivotal than what happened on one evening in June 1969, because that was the month in which Patrick Troughton made his final regular appearance in Doctor Who, with the conclusion of The War Games. How we gasped as the Doctor found himself on trial by the omnipotent Time Lords. How we boggled as Jamie and Zoe were sent away, their memories wiped. And tremulous were we as we realised we'd now have to get used to a brand new Doctor.

But what would he be like?

And what effect would it have on the sales of bright yellow cars, velvet jackets and frilly shirts?

In that same month, more than half the UK population watched the TV documentary The Royal Family, when 30.6 million people tuned in, setting the all-time British viewing record for a non-current event programme.

Possibly not attracting quite as big an audience, but still memorable, was the game played that month, in which Boris Spassky defeated Tigran Petrosian to become the World Chess Champion.

Needless to say, the reason I know of Boris Spassky is because he was mentioned in that issue of The Avengers in which a chess player's killed by a poisoned chess piece and it all turns out to be part of a plot conceived by the Watcher to stop someone or other from doing something or other.

Avengers #65, the Swordsman

It's the third part of the Clint Barton Trilogy in which we've found out more about the man who was once Hawkeye and is now Goliath.

This time, we get a tale built upon his past association with the Swordsman, as the blade-swinging bounder sets out to settle scores with his former underling.

Captain America #114

Having faked his own death, Cap returns from the fake grave to roam the streets of New York, contemplating his true role in life.

Amazingly, for once, he resists this perfect opportunity to retell his origin.

Not so amazingly, the Red Skull shows up to give him something better to worry about.

Daredevil #53

Cap may have resisted the urge to retell his origin but the nostalgia-baton's landed squarely in the hands of Daredevil, as Gene Colan gets to redraw the tale that was first presented to us by Bill Everett all those years ago.

Fantastic Four #87

The FF finally escape Dr Doom's Latverian death-trap when Doomie decides he doesn't want to risk his art collection getting damaged in a fight.

Incredible Hulk #116, the Leader

The Leader traps the Hulk in a rubber prison from which no living creature can possibly hope to escape.

Needless to say, the Hulk escapes.

But not in time to prevent the Leader taking over Thunderbolt Ross's base, with a giant rubber robot.

Iron Man #14, the Night Phantom

I have to say that's an absolutely beautiful cover by Johnny Craig, an artist whose run on the strip is easy to overlook but who always tackled the job with style.

If I remember right, Iron Man's investigating some crime or other on some island or other and it all ties in with Tony Stark's business operations.

As always with Iron Man's criminal investigations, the bad guy turns out to be exactly who you think he is.

Amazing Spider-Man #73, Man Mountain Marko

Our hero gets into a scrap with Man-Mountain Marko while seeking to prevent that mysterious ancient tablet from falling into the hands of the Maggia.

Thor #165, Him

Adam Warlock - still lumbered with the name Him - has his second adventure.

This time, he's back on Earth and decides to run off with Sif - whether she likes it or not.

Needless to say, this turns out not to be such a good idea and has major repercussions for the thunder god as well.

X-Men #57, the Sentinels

The Sentinels are back and it can only cause nothing but trouble.

13 comments:

Killdumpster said...

Due to my limited excursions outside of the wilderness of Pennsylvania, I was only able to obtain 50% of the books that you've featured on this post, Steve.

The only time I was able to get a Spidey off the rack was if he looked defeated on the cover. Especially by a non-costumed nemesis. Man-Montain Marko. How dissatisfied I was. Give me Goblin, Mysterio, Lizard, Sandman etc any day of the week.

Maybe I just felt cheated, because of non-costumed villains. Also the accessibility of Spidey comics in my area. When I'd get a chance to buy a book with a classic villain it was like finding the holy grail.

X-Men were always on the racks. I was more than happy, as I was a fan. The Sentinels were almost as perfect villains as Nazis. I'm sure the simulies between them and brown-shirts/stormtroopers have been explored.

Ah, Thor #165. The start of my being a fan of Warlock. When he went to Counter-Earth and battled the Man-Beast, I was in.

I wish they would have had Thor fight the Man-Beast more. He gave him a run-for-his-money previously.

Killdumpster said...

I had the Avengers issue with the poisoned chesspiece. As I remotely recall they had to dispatch parts of the team to try to apprehend the bad guy, who wasn't really bad after all. Glah. What a waste of my dimes. The most shocking thing, outside of the storyline, was the bare-bones so-called "American Indian" influenced new costume for Hawkeye.

I though, my god, cover that guy up!

Steve W. said...

I do sometimes think I'm the only person alive who liked Hawkeye's alternate costume.

I didn't have any of these comics but I did manage to read all of them via the Marvel UK reprints, apart from the X-Men tale, which I still haven't read, even to his day.

Killdumpster said...

Well, to paraphrase you, Steve:

I do sometimes think that I'm the only person alive who liked the original X-Men.

Anonymous said...

Him!
He began life looking like a California beach bum in a red speedo looking for sex and eventually became a neurotic schizo tormented by Catholic guilt.
Isn't that always the way?

M.P.

B Smith said...

Just to put everyone of of their misery, the Avengers "chess" issue was #101 - "Five Dooms to Save Tomorrow," notable for being plotted by (or having the plot based on a story by) Harlan Ellison. Also featured Rich Buckler's first Angers work, and man, did it ever show what difference an inker makes - the next issue, with Buckler's pencils inked by Joe Sinnott was streets ahead.

Anonymous said...

That's the Dr. Who episode where the Doctor chooses his next face from several options?

It is my earliest ever TV memory - I was a mere 3 years and 4 months old at the time.

Steve W. said...

Colin, that's almost it. He's offered a number of faces but rejects them all. So, the Time Lords inflict a face upon him. Tragically, the scene fades out before we get to see that face and we have to wait for the start of the following series to find out what he's going to look like from now on.

B, thanks for the Rich Buckler info. I really did like Rich's first stint on the strip, even if there was, inevitably, a fair amount of swiping going on.

KD, no one seems to have rushed to the original X-Men's defence, in the comments section, yet. Now I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for them.

MP, life's hard when you're a perfect being.

Killdumpster said...

Steve, it's uncanny (pun intended) that it appears that I'm the singular person that goes-to-bat for the original X-Men.

"All alone.. In this cold, cruel world..!" A quote from the film Basket Case, lol.

The Beast was my favorite character of the team, and was responsible for my having a reasonably good vocabulary. As many of you folk know, I was raised in "Hicksville" and my parents were hillbillies.

My parents got so tired of me asking about the meaning of the Beast's dialogue that I got a pocket Webster's Dictionary for Christmas. Lol!

Anonymous said...

After reading a copy of Super Villain Team-Up #7, I hadda ask my mom who Henry Kissinger was. (He was shown having a meeting with Dr. Doom. Now that's realpolitik for ya.)
She wasn't a fan.

M.P.

Steve W. said...

Marvel writers seemed quite obsessed with Henry Kissinger back in the day. I think I remember him showing up as an android duplicate in The Incredible Hulk and he got mentioned in several other books, mostly whenever the President was musing on how to deal with the latest crisis to threaten the Earth.

Steve W. said...

Come to think of it, I think that might be the only reason I'd ever heard of him.

dangermash said...

Never mind how badly it was written with all of Stan's angst laid on with a trowell, that Silver Surfer cover is the pick of the bunch this month. If your mum saw all of those covers and had to guess which was an epic double length issue, that's the one she'd go for.