Sunday 30 June 2019

The Secret Society of Super Villains #1.

The Secret Society of Super-Villains #1, throw androids of the Justice League JLA in a trash can, rubbish bin
How many people came out of a cinema in 1977, wanting to be Luke Skywalker?

Not one.

That's because everyone came out wanting to be Darth Vader.

That's because everyone knows super-villains are better than super-heroes.

And so it was that there were, at times in my youth, attempts to create comics built around wrong-doers. I think we all fondly remember the Astonishing Tales series in which, thanks to the pencils of Wally Wood, Dr Doom has various battles with various foes. And, of course, there was also Marvel's short-lived Super-Villain Team-Up book.

Clearly determined not to be left out, DC also had the odd fling with the genre too. I remember the Joker having his own series at one point. Whether it was good, I couldn't say, as I neither read nor saw a single issue of it.

I did, however, read an issue of another DC book in which villains were the stars.

And that was The Secret Society of Super Villains #1.

It's the present, and various baddies are minding their own business, committing crimes and escaping from prisons, when they each receive a letter inviting them to the first ever meeting of the Secret Society of Super Villains in San Francisco.

The Secret Society of Super-Villains #1, Sinestro arrives
Thus it is that Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Grodd, Copperhead, Sinestro, Star Sapphire, Captain Boomerang, the Wizard, Catwoman and Shadow Thief find themselves in a skyscraper, being welcomed by one of Manhunter's evil clones who says each must pass a test, in order to deserve membership.

Despite the prerequisite grumbling, Grodd and Copperhead agree to their test and set off to raid a lighthouse which contains a secret lab housing a great big ball of plutonium. Despite having everything going for them, Grodd and Copperhead completely fail to acquire their target, and Grodd abandons his accomplice in the sea, having decided he's useless. So far, the society's having about as much success as an England batting lineup.

The Secret Society of Super-Villains #1, Grodd abandons Copperhead
Building a comic around a bunch of super-villains may not be an idea that seems like it's going to work. For a start, being villains means they're going to have to fail in their dastardly aims or the Comics Code people will never speak to DC Comics again but the book is surprisingly appealing, mostly because it feels bright and breezy, moving quickly and efficiently in its story-telling.

Despite the fact I don't have a clue who half these villains are, they're a strangely engaging bunch - for would-be murderers and cutthroats - and the mystery of who their financier is gives us a reason to keep reading beyond this issue.

Gerry Conway's script does its job but I should also praise the art. The thing's drawn by Pablo Marcos who's one of my least favourite pencillers. I still shudder at the memory of his work on the last few stories of Captain Britain's original run. However, under Bob Smith's inks, his performance here is perfectly acceptable, even to me. I'm not going to rave about the artwork or claim it's magnificent but it's not off-putting and tells the story cleanly and without fuss.

The Secret Society of Super-Villains #1, Mirror Master and Captain Cold flee the scene
But who is the group's mystery benefactor? Is it Lex Luthor? Is it the Joker? Is it Brainiac? Is it Darkseid?

I don't have a clue but I'm assuming it's one of those because none of them are present in this comic. Nor are they or their absence mentioned, which seems an odd thing, given their status in the ranks of DC villains.

Then again, maybe it's not a villain at all. Maybe it's someone with a grudge against them, who wants to lead them down the path of ruin.

Anyway, it's not for me to know. I'm afraid I must remain in ignorance until such a time as I've read the series to its, no doubt, senses-shattering conclusion.

The Secret Society of Super-Villains #1, the robot JLA and Grodd

12 comments:

Dougie said...

Will you be posting about the abandoned first version of the story? I wonder why Clayface was dropped.Without this series and then Return of the New Gods, I wonder if we'd have had a Great Darkness Saga.

Anonymous said...

The Secret Society's benefactor turned out to be Funky Flashman Steve.
No, just kidding - he only did their PR. It was actually Darkseid. Which spoiled the series for me; I mean, c'mon - Darkseid doesn't have anything better to do?
The tiger-force at the core of all things takes time out from ruling Apokolips and solving the Anti-Life Equation to write letters to Captain Cold, Gorilla Grodd and that lot? Seriously?

Much preferred the international power politics of Marvel Super-Villain Team Up, matching Doctor Doom with the Sub-Mariner and Henry Kissinger.

-sean

Steve W. said...

Dougie, tragically, I know nothing of the abandoned version of the story. I did notice that Catwoman didn't seem to be in this issue, even though the dialogue claimed she was.

Sean, Darkseid moves in mysterious ways.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

(Steve - I apologize for interrupting the flow.)

UK Gents - this is burning me alive! I need your wisdom! Whilst on a transatlantic flight I was held captive by a film called, "Brexit - The untold story" with Cumberbatch. I don't think it's shown in the USA yet.

It was reasonably interesting, But I have a few questions:

1) Is this Boris Johnson guy actually as portrayed in the film?
2) Is he really likely to be your next PM?

I don't mean to stir up politics. Perhaps just answering Yes/No and Yes/Maybe/No would suffice, LOL.

Steve W. said...

Charlie, I've never seen the film although I have heard of it.

1) If he was portrayed as a shambolic buffoon whose answers to questions depend entirely on who's interviewing him, then, yes.

2) He's favourite to be next leader of the Conservative Party. Whether he'll be Prime Minister depends on whether Parliament accepts him as PM or if they instantly decide to launch a vote of No Confidence in him. There's a fair chance that they will.

Here's a recent interview he did, about his, "Hobby." It can only be described as, "Unique." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLcCZjDoWTQ

Anonymous said...

Don't men to stir up politics Charlie? Sure, I believe you (;
Ha seen that tv thing, but any fictional portrayal of Alexander Boris dePfeffel Johnson is unlikely to convey just how ridiculous he actually is.

Him and the similarly awful Jeremy Hunt are running to be leader of the tory party, and Johnson is odds-on.
However, fwiw I'm not entirely convinced this leadership contest isn't all a diversion, a ruse by Theresa May to keep her MPs busy and off her back. I won't believe she's really going til I see it.
(The day before she "resigned" she even said she'd stay on as PM til her successor had the confidence of the Commons ie majority backing, which Johnson almost certainly won't get)

Apologies to Steve and everyone else for not answering with a simple yes/no.

-sean

Anonymous said...

* Don't mean to stir up... Haven't seen that tv thing
(Duh, typos...)

-sean

Anonymous said...

Boy howdy!
SSoSV was a funky comic, not exactly great literature, but it definitely had a goofy charm. I imagine DC saw what Marvel did with Super-Villain Team-Up, an idea that had great possibilities on paper but was pretty much bungled, and said, "If not us, who? If not now, when?"
Well, they kinda bungled it too. But these early twisted spawn set the stage for better super-villain-centered comics years later.
Let's face it, the villains are always more interesting than heroes.
On another note, I saw that Brexit movie with Cumberbund Bandersnatch and came away profoundly depressed. Just when you thought international (and domestic) politics couldn't get worse, they went and got worse. Now we have goons walking around singing the praises of autocracy and the imminent death of Western Liberal Democracy. Including the current President of the United States.
It's ghastly. They're openly contemplating fascism.
Short memories, apparently. Or perverse and willful ignorance. Talk about cartoon super-villainy...How do I get off this planet.

M.P.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Geeze, given Steve and Sean have NOT seen "Brexit - TUS" and they describe Boris as a shambolic buffon then, I dare say, either Sean and Steve wrote the damn script OR he is portrayed true to form, LOL. Unbelievable, LOL!

Ummm... what/where/who the hell is a de Pfeffel, lol? I looked it up and can't find anything?

Has Boris always had the hair or do he and Trump hang out together at the barber shop?

I remember when France's president Valery Giscard d'Estaing was ridiculed b/c he allegedly bought the "d'Estaing" to sound more regal, lol. D'Estaing rhymes with poon-tang for all my american brothers, lol.



Charlie Horse 47 said...

ALso, whatever happened with DC Thomson's copyright infringement lawsuit against Rees-Mogg for impersonating Denis the Menace's "pal" Walter? My word is that uncanny or what???

I dare say your MPs lasso the best names... Rees-Mogg? de Pfeffel? Lot more interesting than Donald.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

M.P. - Hey buddy, I meant to chime in on LeCarre a few weeks ago but was out of the country in the south of West Germany with my son cruising the old stomping grounds. (He finally has to believe the Army stories I told him b/c he got independent verification from the Germans, LOL.)

Anyhow, while there, I was reading Le Carre's autobiography The Pigeon Tunnel which I do recommend. (Get if from the library, don't pay for it, though.)

"Cold-War Germany was his muse," he writes. And to be fair, I have never read a more intriguing author on that subject. BUT you do need to read his books probably at least through The Little Drummer Girl to appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

I envy you, Charlie. I'd like to get back there and see Nuremberg, Furth, and my old kasern again. I s'pose the German army is occupying it now.
Of course, at the time, I was very eager to get outta there.
After thirty years every place was cool and everybody was a good guy. It's the law!

M.P.