Sunday 24 July 2022

Thor: Love and Thunder! With added Lou Ferrigno!

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

 

By Heimdall's bushy beard! It's come to my attention that Marvel Entertainment's just released the trailer for its latest masterpiece Thor: Love and Thunder!

Can it live up to the standards of previous Norse adventures?

Who knows? I thought the first Thor movie was OK, I can remember nothing of the second - other than that Christopher Eccleston was in it - and I've still not got round to seeing the third one.

Admittedly, when I say, "just released," it seems the trailer actually came out a full month ago and the film's knocking 'em dead in cinemas, even as I type. But what's this? It seems it's not going down too well with audiences or critics?

Looking at the trailer, it does feel like it's gone a bit overboard on humour, and those fonts do look a bit He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. But who can judge a film by its trailer?

Regardless of any of that, we have solace because, even if the critics prove to be right, we have our memories of a real Thor movie. The one that co-starred the Hulk.

After all, who can forget the first time those two titans met on screen - way back in 1988 - when films were so awesome they didn't need the magic of competent special effects to entrance the public?

Screen Junkies hasn't forgotten it. In fact, right below, is where the channel reminds us how that masterpiece went.

Strangely, in retrospect, the feel of that movie doesn't seem that different from the direction modern Marvel movies are going in. Clearly, it was a work that was ahead of its time.

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you can watch She-Hulk now after all Matthew (;
Is the Devil Dinosaur cartoon any good?

Steve, trailers are in fact the best way to watch Marvel films and I thought this one was alright.
Seriously though, superhero flicks aren't really my cup of mead, but 'Ragnarok' was one of the better ones I've seen - I didn't actually start getting bored with it til around the half-way mark - and 'Love & Thunder' seems like it might be more of the same. At least enough that I'll make a point of seeing it (but not so much that I can't wait til someone I know has a dvd or something).

I saw that 'Return of the Hulk' tv thing ages ago - it an afternoon film on Channel 5 - there was another one on the next day, with Daredevil in it. That was sh*t too.

To be fair to the Ferrigno He-Hulk series though, it did have a better class of cameo. It had Jack Kirby in it!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ8QKBiGB1Y

-sean

McSCOTTY said...

I haven't been impressed by the trailers for this film as they look to be over-playing the humour aspect which has to be strong to work on this type of movie. Saying that the reviews ( well some of them) haven't been that bad so I might get it on DVD ( or watch it online if I ever subscribe to Disney+). I'm actually quite looking forward to DCs "Black Adam" and "Shazam 2".

Steve W. said...

Thanks for your comments.

Matthew, I must confess that Marvel released the trailer a month ago. I've only just found out about it.

I've seen some complaints online, from CGI experts, that Marvel don't have a good reputation when it comes to their dealings with visual effects artists. There are claims that they often don't give them the time and resources needed to do the job properly.

Sean, there's a Devil Dinosaur cartoon?

Does he speak in it?

McScotty, I shall keep an eye out for news of that Shazam movie.

Anonymous said...

To me, Bill Bixby was a good actor. A good example to kids, not the macho idiot characters, usually on tv.

Hulk/Thor was intended for young kids. At least its heart was in the right place. There are better clips than the chosen ones. For example, when Don Blake found Mjolnir, in the far, far north. This "northern"/Viking aspect, was emphasized in just the right way (like in 'Noggin the Nog'!)

The Thor actor's angular features at least give a very vague impression of John Buscema's Thor. Hemsworth looks nothing like him.

To Thor, the modern world made sense, in his own terms - for example, the Hulk was Banner's "troll". I liked that.

Te first Thor movie gave a sense of the epic grandeur of Asgard - apart from that, it didn't leave a lasting impression on me.

Phillip

Anonymous said...

I was going to wait for it to be on Disney+ but saw it at the cinema a couple of weeks ago, on impulse (we had a spare couple of hours). It is very much on the vein of Ragnarok (probably even more a comedy) which I quite enjoyed. I've watched the post endgame movies on Disney+ (rather than at the cinema) and haven't been too fussed with any of them. I suspect they'll never capture the 'big' story of the infinity stones again and just become further diluted until they no longer make commercial sense. I think the most impressive thing over the first three phases is how they all moved the underlying story forward without feeling like mere chapters. They seriously need the rebooted Fantastic Four and X-men to hit the mark.

Btw, has anyone watched the Black Panther 2 trailer (it's now on youtube)? They've now introduced Namour. Personally, I would have used his Reed/Sue love triangle storyline as the basis of an FF movie. Surely the most successful movies have been those closest tot he source material.

DW

Colin Jones said...

Carry On Up The Asgard.

Anonymous said...

I say thee nay, matron. Oo-er.

Steve, there is a Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur, Steve, but I don't think its actually on tv yet (when I left that earlier that comment I hadn't noticed that the trailer on Youtube was only been up a couple of days).

-sean

Anonymous said...

*Moon Girl & Dinosaur cartoon

-sean

Colin Jones said...

That's a pretty garbled comment, Sean - have you been at the cider again?

Anonymous said...

I'm such a fan of Steve's I had to mentioned him twice, Colin.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Aaargh I can't believe I @#%$£ it up again -
'mention' not 'mentioned', obviously.

Duh.

-sean

Tel U said...

eagerly awaited the movie Thor: Love and Thunder!