Thursday 14 July 2022

July 14th 1982 - Marvel UK, 40 years ago this week.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

I doubt many of us want to wake up and find a strange man in our bedroom. But, this week in 1982, the Queen had that very experience, as Michael Fagan evaded Buckingham Palace security and found his way to the chamber where she conducts her equivalent of The Odin Sleep.

Fortunately, no monarchs were harmed during the making of this incident. Nor were any giant, universe-threatening swords unsheathed. I was going to do a joke about Fagan subsequently being released to resume his duties as lead singer of Steely Dan but it turns out that's Donald Fagen and, thus, my joke wouldn't have worked.

Over in Italy, that week, it was also no joke, as West Germany defeated Italy 3–1 in Spain and, thus, won the World Cup.

But what was occurring on the UK music charts while all this was afoot?

On the singles front, Irene Cara soared to triumph, thanks to her track Fame hitting the top spot.

While, on the album listings, ABC held sway via their offering The Lexicon of Love

Among the songs I approved of on that week's singles chart were:

Abracadabra - the Steve Miller Band

Happy Talk - Captain Sensible

Now Those Days Are Gone - Bucks Fizz

Come on Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners

Torch - Soft Cell

Tiny Children - The Teardrop Explodes

House of Fun - Madness

And

Only You - Yazoo.

For those who wish to pursue the matter further, that week's British singles chart may be found here.

While the album chart is located here.

The aforementioned Teardrop Explodes were, famously, named in honour of a panel from an old issue of Daredevil. And mention of a Marvel hero can only invite us to discover what the British wing of that organisation was up to, that week.

The Incredible Hulk #16

It turns out that wing is still plundering the pages of What If, in order to find material it's not previously used.

This time, it's demanding to know what would have happened had the brute retained the brain of Bruce Banner.

Obviously, we don't need to ask, as the US Hulk tales we've covered lately have indeed had him retaining the scientist's intellect.

But what's this? Yet again, the company's demanding to learn whether I know the Fruitgum Secret?

How many times do I have to tell them that I don't? Do they think I'm that bloke in The 39 Steps or something?

Still, at least I can win an Apocalypse board game.

Super Spider-Man TV Comic #488, the Juggernaut

Here's a story I can't help feeling I've recently encountered somewhere else.

As far as I can recall, Black Tom's sent his mate Juggernaut to kidnap Madame Web, for reasons that are unclear to me.

Fortunately, Spider-Man's on hand to stop him.

Or, possibly, not that fortunately, as the web spinner has no way to prevent the helmeted heel from completing his mission.

Hanna Barbera's Scooby-Doo and His T.V. Friends #21

Once more, Onboarder, AKA Mark, has provided me with a Scooby-Doo cover.

And he's also uploaded the full issue to the Internet Archive. This means it can be found by clicking here. He's also uploaded a number of other comics, including the 1983 Top Cat summer special. Those comics can be found by clicking here.

But, in this week's offering, Yogi has a Robin Hood adventure, the Jetsons get their own board game, Scooby shows us how to make a space rocket from a washing-up liquid bottle, the Scooby gang has an Arctic adventure, and we can fulfill our lifelong ambition by winning a Worzel Gummidge lunchbox, 

There's also a demonstration of how to make a strange table football game where you can replace cartoon characters' legs with your fingers.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Technically, doesn't the Hulk always have the brain of Bruce Banner, Steve? I mean, its not like they're switching bodies Rick Jones/Mar-Vell style.
(Gawd, can you imagine having Rick Jones' brain?)

Did you not approve of 'Da Da Da' by Trio then? Conceptually, they weren't as rigorous as, say, Kraftwerk or Laurie Anderson and didn't do the deadpan thing as well as the Flying Lizards, but it was quite a good record by the standard of hits at the time.

Looking at the album chart, my fave would be 'Screaming for Vengeance' by Judas Priest. Ha ha no, only kidding... obviously its 'Love & Dancing' by the League Unlimited Orchestra.
But admittedly I have not heard 'Shape Up And Dance With Felicity Kendal' by Felicity Kendal so can't offer a definitive opinion.

The worst album though must be 'Chartbusters '82', as it features 'Tottenham, Tottenham' by Spurs with Chas & Dave. Even Judas Priest have to be better than that.

-sean

Colin Jones said...

Steve, it was Italy who won the 1982 World Cup, not West Germany!!!

Colin Jones said...

The 1982 album chart also features 'John Paul II - The Pilgrim Pope' and 'Shape Up And Dance With Angela Rippon' but sadly no entry for 'Shape Up And Dance With Gordon Honeycombe' or even 'Shape Up And Dance With John Paul II'.

Anonymous said...

But at least the Pope and Angela Rippon albums didn't include Spurs, Colin.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Sean-
I think it's been established that Bruce either suffers from schizophrenia, or multiple personality disorder. Nowadays in newer comics they've retconned him to be under the influence of demons. Urrrr.

Back in my old music warehouse, I had a cute little lady working for me when I ran the jukebox department. One day she told me her favorite song was Dexy's Midnight Runner's "Come On Eileen", but she didn't want to buy their whole album just for that song.

I asked her if she had a turntable, and she said yes.

"Kiddo, we have that on '45." She didn't believe me, so I took her to my WALL of oldies, checked for the catalog number, and pulled her out a copy. She was ecstatic. She gave me a big hug & kiss.

With her employee discount it cost her 79 cents.

She even went to HR to find out my birthday, and bought me a little cake, with a candle on it.

I have some happy stories too, oh my brothers. Lol.

Anonymous said...

-Killdumpster

Steve W. said...

Colin, thinking about it, you're absolutely right. Italy did win that World Cup.

Sean, I find Da Da Da just a little on the boring side.

KD, I think I preferred the Bruce Banner who was (allegedly) perfectly normally-balanced but just got overly-tense whenever danger reared its head.

Anonymous said...

I guess one person's minimal is another's boring, Steve.

-sean

McSCOTTY said...

My favourite album would be the number 1 "Lexicon of Love " by ABC, an L.P. that still holds up today. Another big favourite of mine from this chart is Gary US Bonds ( (who was a big influence on Springsteen) "On the line".

Anonymous said...

'Da Da Da' made the Casio VL-1, with its low-fidelity sounds, famous!

On that cover, Madam(e?) Web resembles Aunt May!

Phillip

Anonymous said...

Kraftwerk used the Casio VL-1 before that on 'Pocket Calculator' Phillip.
And so did Michael Moorcock! On 'Time Centre' -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLNUiKBHFOo

-sean

Anonymous said...

I quite liked Da Da Da for what it was but compared to the other synth based songs this week, Yazoo (Only You) and Soft Cell (Torch), it is pretty basic. Whether that's a bad thing is subjective but decades later you can still easily listen to both Only You and Torch where I think Da Da a remains a once in a decade treat.

DW

Redartz said...

Thanks for including the link to those charts, Steve! Now I know there was a "Beatles Movie Medley"? I presume that was different from the pseudo Beatles on "Stars on 45"?

Oh, but what a time for albums. 3 of my all time favorites: "Lexicon of Love ", "Love and Dancing" and "Rio"! Two of which I have on cd. However, finding the League Unlimited Orchestra on cd has proven more challenging. Matter of fact, I've never even stumbled upon a copy of Human Leage "Dare" on cd. But never fear, the search will continue; as I continue to do my part in promoting a cd revival...

Anonymous said...

Steve-
As AVID silver/bronze-age fan (up till the "Our Pal Sal" era) of the Hulk I truly agree with you.

While I enjoyed when they toyed with what kind of intelligence he might have, when they started to mess with childhood-based trauma with an abusive father, I just clicked off. Then the whole mental disorders thing started.

Now they have him potentially possessed by evil, Satan-like forces. Soon he'll have the power to spin his head around like Linda Blair, and spitting out acidic gamma- vomit.

Hope Marvel's current writers don't go on your site. I may have gave them an idea. Lol.

-Killdumpster


Anonymous said...

Sean - Interesting Moorcock's dabbled in electronic music. That Hawkwind album cover, with a triangle intersecting (?) a planet, is reminiscent of the Blake's 7 logo, but flipped the other way!

DW - Yes - To me too, Da Da Da was more a novelty act, than a real attempt at electronic/synth music.

New electronic music often features on the Haunted Generation website, but I mostly go more for the site's nostalgia - e.g. the 'musty books' articles.

Phillip

Steve W. said...

Red, yes. The Beatles Movie Medley was an official release and featured the lads themselves, rather than people pretending to be them. Apple have since "excommunicated" the record and it's no longer regarded as canon. There's a video about the record, its origins and subsequent fate here: https://youtu.be/v-ATdxEjI1c

Colin Jones said...

Are UK readers ready for the coming heatwave? In the words of Private Frazer: We're doomed...DOOOMED!

Colin Jones said...

So it looks like Dishi Rishi will make it to the final two but who'll join him - Penny Mordor or Liz Trussssss?

Steve W. said...

Colin, I'm ready for the heatwave. Granted, when I say, "ready," I'm ready in the sense that I've not made any preparations for it at all.

Then again, I made none for the previous record-busting temperature in 2019 and I survived that one so well that I have no memory at all of it ever having happened.

As for the Tory leadership race, the experts seem to think Penny Mordaunt is favourite, even though no one has a clue who she is. I see she was once in a reality TV high-diving contest, which, it seems, is the sort of thing that gets you power in the 21st Century.

I still reckon Liz Truss could pull it out of the bag if she can only deliver another of her stirring speeches about cheese.

Anonymous said...

Or pork markets, Steve.

I am for Liz Truss too - she solved the Irish protocol! Anyone in the British government who thinks they've done that is obviously our best bet for getting a 32 county Republic.
None of them - or for that matter Sir Keir - will be able to roll back the impetus to re-unification if they get into Downing St of course, but Liz Truss will speed it up and save a lot of time.

-sean

Colin Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colin Jones said...

Apparently Liz Truss's parents were left-wing academics who supported CND so what happened to their daughter? And Liz's dad refuses to campaign for her but her mother does because...mothers!