Sunday 19 February 2023

The Marvel Lucky Bag - February 1983.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

Sometimes, there are things lurking in your local swamp that you don't want to know about.

But you did in February 1983.

That's because it was the month which saw the release of the very first Swamp Thing movie, starring Dick Durock and Adrienne Barbeau. It's been so long since I saw it that I can't recall if I liked it or not, although I vaguely recall having preferred its sequel.

The month also saw the release of legendary Stone Age movie Quest for Fire, a film that, to my knowledge, has never had a sequel.

Although, I suppose, technically, every film made ever since has been a sequel to Quest for Fire.

Epic Illustrated #16

A rather lovely Barry Smith cover adorns this month's issue of the mag that loves to give you pretty pictures.

Inside, more pretty pictures are supplied by Rick Veitch, Marc Hempel, Jim Starlin, Dave Sim, Trina Robbins, Gene Day, Carl Potts, Rick Geary, Barry Smith and Charles Vess.

Between them, they illustrate tales with titles like Two SistersOur New DadThe Vision, The Woman Who Loved the MoonArnold the IsshurianThe HordeA Path of StarsThe Beguiling and Arise Awake, Awakening.

I can sensationally reveal that I know nothing about the plot of any of them.

Moon Knight #28

Speaking of covers, Bill Sienkiewicz gives us another attention-grabber, as our hero returns to Sudan and finds himself protecting a treasure in the temple where Moon Knight was born.

Special Edition X-Men #1

Hooray! Great news for those who missed it the first time round, as Marvel gives us a second chance to encounter the first-ever adventure of the New X-Men!

How well we remember that day when the original members were captured by Krakoa the Living Island, and Professor X had to recruit a team of misfits to rescue them.

But because even that's not enough to keep some people happy, we also get a brand-new tale in which Kitty Pryde shows Illyana around the mansion and talks about the team.

I know!

It sounds riveting!

What If? #37

This month, we get a triple bill from the comic that never stops demanding answers, when the Watcher ponders what would have happened had the Beast and Thing continued to mutate and what would have happened had Galactus turned the Silver Surfer back into boring old Norrin Radd.

ROM #39

At last! It's the fight that had to happen!

OK, I admit it. It's not. It's the fight that probably no one would ever have seen coming, as Rom encounters Shang-Chi son of Fu Manchu. 

It seems the pair unite at the British Museum, in order to prevent a coven of Dire Wraiths from resurrecting the mummy of an Egyptian witch-princess.

Red Sonja #1

Everyone's favourite she-devil with a sword gets another chance at solo stardom, as her latest book hits a shop near you.

I've no idea what happens in it but I do know blue definitely doesn't suit her and she needs to switch back to the bikini as soon as possible.

Bizarre Adventures #34

Joe Jusko supplies the cover, while Mark Gruenwald, Alan Kupperberg, Steven Grant, Paul Smith, Larry Hama, Bob Camp, Mike Carlin, Al Milgrom, Steve Skeates and Steve Smallwood fill the pages with a whole heap of humour-packed goodness that's just right for the Christmas holiday that's on its way.

Marvel Team-Up #126

The book that's traditionally concentrated on Spider-Man team-ups also gives us the combo of Luke Cage and the Son of Satan.

As far as I make out, those two are facing the mind-numbing peril of the Sons of Satannish.

Wait. What's this? The Son of Satan vs the Sons of Satannish? I spot a whole heap of room for confusion in that one.

Sadly, though, I don't know what occurs in the Spidey vs Hulk clash.

14 comments:

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

That Moon Knight cover is giving me Daredevil #43 vibes.

Matthew McKinnon said...

I’ve only just realised that, despite it being a direct sales comic in the US, Moon Knight was distributed on regular newsstands here in the UK.

I remember finding 23, 24 and 29 in regular pokey little regional newsagents in the early 80s.

I wonder how that worked out…?

Matthew McKinnon said...

...as was Epic Illustrated, now I come to think of it. I picked one up in a newsagent in 1983.

I wish I'd read more of that mag. It was very uneven but always interesting.

Anonymous said...

Newstand distribution in the UK is a weird one, Matthew - in the mid 90s I wasn't really following the latest comics, but picked up the first couple of issues of Batman: Black & White (you know, with Ted McKeever, Chaykin, Jose Munoz, Corben etc) on impulse when I saw them in my local corner shop.

Steve, the highlight here is obviously Epic Illustrated #16, specifically Barry Windsor-Smith's cover and phenomenal 8 page 'Beguiling' strip. Its hard to think of anything quite like the latter - I suppose some of P Craig Russell's short pieces for Imagine and Epic are in a similar vein, but not really at the same level.

www.barrywindsor-smith.com/studio/biobeguiling1.html

I don't think I've seen colour quite as rich and subtle as that in a comic story anywhere else. Along with the cover its kind of the end point of where Barry was headed, if you follow the evolution of his work from the early Conan comics to 'Song of the Red Sonja' and 'Red Nails', and on through his Gorblimey Press, and Studio period.
In the 80s it seemed surprising that his next work was on Machine Man (starting off inking Herb Trimpe!) and then X-Men and Wolverine comics for Marvel. But in retrospect it makes sense that he'd pull back, and even go full circle.

Btw on the subject of Red Sonja, I read the first new-look issue you've included here. Its not very good, but at least they got rid of that ridiculous metal bikini.
Its made a comeback in the comics from Dynamite though.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Barry Windsor-Smith is from Forest Gate, right? I wonder if he supports West Ham...
I knew they'd cock it up earlier.

-sean

Anonymous said...

West Ham got pretty much the result I suspected they would, and they deserved. The only plus point was that I didn't get up at 2.30am as usual.

I bought the X-men special as I hadn't seen that story in colour. It was nicely presented but, agree, the back-up was a waste. I assume I also had Moon Knight, but the cover (which is rather good) doesn't ring a bell.

I'll check out the BWS story online.

DW

Redartz said...

Sean- thanks for including that BWS link. That's some gorgeous artwork. I only picked up the first issue or two of "Epic" back then, and have never seen that story. Looks like another book to hunt down. At least this title is probably reasonably inexpensive. One can hope, anyway...

Matthew McKinnon said...

Sean -

I think the explanation for BWS going back to superhero comics can be found in the notes at the end of that story (on the website): it took him about five weeks per page to draw. That’s almost a year on one short story. I expect he did a little thinking about his household finances after that.

A friend bought me the Machine Man mini for Christmas last year, but I haven’t read it yet.

I wonder if big name creators got more per page on regular newsstand titles than lower-tier artists and writers? I know Marvel instituted a profit-share scheme for titles that sold over 100,000 copies or something - did that cover it, or did BWS get paid more upfront for his X-Men one-offs than other folks would? And Miller for writing the pretty low-key DD 229?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, five weeks a page is ultimately a bit of an economic dead end, Matthew. But then Windsor-Smith is also the geezer who spent decades working on 'Monsters'...

Supposedly he originally got the Conan job because he was cheaper than first choice John Buscema, so Marvel must have had different page rates in 1970.
But I don't know if that was still the case by the time of X-Men #186, when the real differentials would have been in the bonuses and 'incentive' payments anyway (unlike DC, Marvel never called them 'royalties' - that would imply the creators retained some interest in or rights to their work).
So outside of any sales bump, I've no idea whether BWS made a bit more money for that issue than Romita Jr would have instead. Er... thats not very helpful, is it?

-sean

Anonymous said...

DW, the other plus point is that Arsenal won, and are back on top.

-sean

Charlie Horse 47 said...

DW,et al. The whole relegation thing is foreign to US sports. I assume should Westham go down, then there is no more West Ham on television? (At least no more 02:30 wake ups on a weekend?)

But do you / can you still follow your team then or is it like a real exiling and you lose contact?

Charlie - in the age of Arsenal (cohosted by Nottingham Forest?)

Steve W. said...

Charlie, West Ham will still be on television. The Championship (which they'll be in) is one of the world's most-watched leagues.

Sean, thanks for that Barry Smith link.

Dangermash, yes, there is a certain similarity.

Anonymous said...

Charlie

Personally, it will be more difficult to follow the Championship in Oz, although I'm sure I'll work it out (it appears Foxtel broadcast five games per round, whereas Optus broadcast all Premier League games - for similar costs). I may be ready to take a break after decades of disrupted sleep because, at my age, I could easily have a seizure. I've followed West Ham for close to fifty years but I don't want to die for them (half-hearted as that will make me to some fans ;-)

Generally the enjoyment level watching the Championship (or second division in old money) is greater because there're less mercenary prima donnas, and consequently fair-weather fans. They also play more games in a season and its easier to get casual tickets if I happen to be visiting.

DW

Anonymous said...

Epic was a wonderful magazine! As a kid I stumbled across it in a bookstore (long gone now like almost all bookstores, sadly).
I read it religiously 'till it got cancelled.
There was always something in there that made it worth the money!
I remember an Elric story in there illustrated by P. Craig Russell that really put a hook in me. I hadda subscribe to the comic after that.
And of course the other artists and writers you mentioned, Steve.
Charles Vess did some weird spooky stuff.

M.P.