Tuesday 11 April 2023

The Marvel Lucky Bag - April 1983.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

It being an industrial city, Sheffield's always shown massive interest in Flashdance, that tale of a young woman's battle to succeed in the glamourous world of welding, so she need never dance again.

When I say, "always," obviously, before it existed, there was no interest in it at all. People hadn't even noticed it didn't exist. What kind of blind fools were they?

But, eventually, it did exist. And April 1983 was when that momentous moment happened. 

And it wasn't alone. After all, that month also saw the release of The Hunger and Something Wicked This Way Comes, only one of which have I ever seen. I shall, therefore, draw no comparisons between them and leave that to those more enlightened than I.

Coyote #1

A brand new hero makes his debut!

At least, that's what I'm assuming. Clueless about him, as I am, I can't guarantee he hasn't put in loads of appearances before this, and that I've not simply been unaware of them.

But what I do know is this book's filled with people bearing such names as Harry Long Horse, Cross Lizard and Ocean Old Woman.

And, erm, Slug Thing.

Marvel Team-Up #128, Spider-Man and Captain America

And the winner of The Year's Worst Cover award goes to...

Seriously, did an actual human being decide that image was a great idea?

Inside, Peter and his buddies are visiting a carnival when they run into Steve Rogers.

Sadly, their fun night's ruined when Vermin shows up.

Spider-Woman #49, Tigra

It's the clash that had to happen, as spider-woman meets were-woman.

Beyond that, I can say nothing, other than Jack Russell and his lupine alter-ego also put in an appearance.

I'm confident, however, that everyone'll be friends by page 20.

The Dark Crystal #1, Marvel Comics

Is this really an adaptation of the Muppets-related movie of the same name? That Bret Blevins cover makes it look an awful lot more exciting than I remember the film ever being.

Sadly, I can't say anything about the plot, as I don't recall anything about the movie, other than it being Muppets-related and me not exactly being gripped by it.

Obnoxio the Clown #1

Don't ask me about this one. I know nothing of it, other than it being written and drawn by Alan Kupperberg.

Marvel Age #1

Watch out, FOOM because another new book hits our comics shops, as Marvel Age makes its first appearance!

And I've no doubt it's filled with all the info we could ever want to read about Marvel's latest projects.

12 comments:

Matthew McKinnon said...

I like that Coyote cover. I used to quite like Steve Leialoha's style in the 80s. But I just googled some images of the comic and it looks pretty amateurish. Anyone a fan?

I went to see The Dark Crystal almost exactly 40 years ago. Almost to the day. I found it a bit boring, to be honest. Though my wife likes it and so we went to see the 4K restoration at the cinema a couple of years ago. The first half has aged extremely well - it's all the weird stuff, the 'world-building' as I believe it's called these days - but when it gets going and starts to depend on the insipid lead puppet characters it falls apart badly.

I started watching the recent Netflix series and lasted exactly one episode.

I like the fact that Marvel adapted pretty much every fantasy movie going. I really want to get my hands on the Time Bandits adaptation as it was drawn by David Lloyd.

Anonymous said...

“Lucky bag?” Looks like a barf bag. Actually the barf bags I’ve seen have better art.

Anonymous said...

'All alone I have cried, silent tears full of pride,
In a world made of tears, made of stone...'

Well if that doesn't make you think of Sheffield, eh? Keep believin' you can have it all, and dancin' for your life, Steve.

Your assumption about Coyote #1 is indeed incorrect, and the first issue of his own comic was not his debut. In a sign of the changes starting to happen in the comic biz back then because of the direct market, Coyote had a whole series in the Eclipse anthology magazine before Stainless Steve Englehart took his character to Marvel/Epic.

I've read all of the Eclipse run, and still couldn't really tell you much about Coyote (unlike Dauntless Don McGregor's much more memorable 'Ragamuffins' in the same mag). All I recall is that Coyote was vaguely like the modern day Red Wolf written by someone who'd read too much Carlos Casteneda

-sean

Anonymous said...

Yikes, that MTU cover!
Was that an early Alex Ross job...?

-sean

Anonymous said...

Aaarrgh, I wasn't paying attention and got the lyrics to What A Feeling wrong above!
It's a world of STEEL, made of stone...

Apologies, Steve. No disrespect to Sheffield intended.

-sean

Anonymous said...

I remember that Obnoxious the Clown one-shot selling at the Westminster Mart for quite a premium, within a few months, obviously targeting X-men completists. And I should know for I was one of the gullible...

DW

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Was Obnoxio The Clown just another of those Howard The Duck style joke characters?

Seems like he was fighting above his weight when he popped up in Arcade's Revenge on the Sega Megadrive.

Steve W. said...

Sadly, Dangermash, I can shed no light upon the nature of Obnoxio. Up until the internet came along, I'd never even heard of him.

DW, I take it that book wasn't very good?

Sean, Marvel didn't need Alex Ross. Not when it had the power of photography on its side.

Thanks for the Coyote info.

Matthew, I too like that Coyote cover. It's certainly my favourite of the ones above. With the Obnoxio cover in second place.

Anonymous said...

My fave cover this month is Moon Knight #30.
Yes, I know you didn't include it, Steve, but its still way better than anything here or the other 40 year ago post.

Matthew, I'm not familiar with Marvel's Coyote, but generally Steve Leialoha's stuff was ok? Later on I believe the comic featured some of Todd McFarlane's earliest published work. I expect that wouldn't have been easy on the eyes.

Fwiw, the earlier Eclipse Coyote was drawn by Marshall Rogers, who a lot of people seem to like (but personally I find a bit stiff and awkward).

-sean

Anonymous said...

Sean — I loved Marshall Rogers’ art on those Batman stories in DETECTIVE, and the two Daughters of the Dragon stories in DEADLY HANDS, but everything after that (Coyote, Detectives Inc, The Foozle, Scorpio Rose, etc) I find kind of charmless.

I thought Leialoha’s art on Coyote was pretty nice (I liked his run on Spider-woman too). I think he only he drew the first few issues tho.

b.t.

Colin Jones said...

This month's Spiderwoman (#49) was the penultimate issue and #50 featured another dire photo cover on which to end the series. Why did anyone think photo covers were a good idea?

That dreadful Marvel Team-Up cover would have put me off buying it!

Anonymous said...

b.t., You're not going to defend the young Toddmeister too then...?

I like that early 80s Dr Strange run Rogers worked on, and the first Detectives Inc - although as with anything I've not read for ages by Dauntless Don, reserve the right to change my mind - so he's not a deal breaker for me.
But he did draw like you'd expect someone who'd studied architecture would.

-sean