Tuesday 14 November 2023

The Marvel Lucky Bag - November 1983.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

The cinemas of November 1983 weren't exactly rocking with hits. In fact, as far as I can make out, the most famous films to be released that month were The Osterman Weekend and Amityville 3-D.

I have seen the Osterman Weekend but have never seen Amityville 3-D.

In fact, so greatly have I not seen it that, before writing this post, I wasn't even aware there was an Amityville 3-D. I have faith, though, that if I chose to watch it, it would be at least as good as all the other 3-D films I've ever seen.

Iron Man Annual #6

Iron Man lands his sixth annual, despite having been around for far more than six years.

And he does so by teaming up with a bunch of Eternals, as they seek to escape the Deviants. The rascals being out to exploit their foes' immortal energies for, no doubt, nefarious purposes.

Krull #1

Marvel gives us its adaptation of the film they're all talking about, when the power and majesty of Krull hits our spinner racks. It's all thanks to the opening installment of a two-part mini-series the world will, surely, never forget.

Spider-Man: Christmas In Dallas

I'm not an expert on American geography and climate but I've never imagined Dallas as being particularly Christmassy.

But, clearly, I've been wrong for all these years because that's where mankind's favourite webhead is going to be spending his festive period.

Sadly, I can reveal nothing much about what happens in this book but I do know the tale it contains is only sixteen pages long.

Still, I'm sure it's plenty enough pages for the Kingpin to cause trouble in.

Thor Annual #11

Don Blake's alter ego may have been dumped from his own monthly book but that doesn't prevent him from getting his own annual.

As a result, we're treated to forty pages of adventures set during the thunder god's adolescence.

And I'm sure we're all glad to hear the Golden Apples put in an appearance.

Falcon #1

Cap's sidekick is sidekick no more!

It's true. The Falcon gets his chance to shine in a four-part mini-series.

Sadly, I know nothing of its contents, other than they include such characters as Lucia Calderon, Miguel Martinez, Mr Salvatore, Nemesis and Sgt Tork.

And, of course, Redwing.

The Official Marvel Comics Try-Out Book #1

And another new title makes its entrance.

This time, it's destined to last for just one issue before disappearing from our lives.

I genuinely have no idea what happens in this one, other than that it features Spider-Man and Dr Octopus. Just what happens in it that couldn't have happened in one of Spidey's regular books, I cannot say.

Marvel Tails Starring Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham #1

Speaking of Spidey's many books, here comes another, as Peter Porker makes its sensational first appearance.

It would appear to also be its sensational last appearance.

Apparently, in this one, Captain America and Spider-Ham investigate a saboteur destroying a video arcade but find themselves having to fight the Hulk Bunny.

This issue also features a strip called Goose Rider. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I'm going to assume that's a send-up of Ghost Rider.

Marvel Age #8, Jim Shooter

Hooray! We get to celebrate the reign of Gentleman Jim Shooter!

There's also news of Larry Hama, Al Milgrom and Carl Potts. Not to mention features entitled Golden Age Greats Revisited and A Tale of Two Artists.

Rom Annual #2

The universe's shiniest space knight is granted his second-ever annual but, sadly, I can relate no information about the insides of this mighty tome, other than that the Dire Wraiths are there, which I suspect will be a shock to no one.

It is, however, forty pages long and contains no reprints.

25 comments:

Matthew McKinnon said...

Not a single one of those were mine.

I've just recently seen that ROM cover as it's being recycled for a direct market Omnibus. It's very odd. ROM looks like a bodybuilder. And I reckon Billy expended all of an hour banging that out.

That Krull adaptation is quite late in the day, isn't it? Wasn't Krull a 1982 movie?

Anonymous said...

These covers suck: no word balloons! At least ASM had some on Sunday’s SDC. Steve - can you print more covers with word balloons please? Charles.

Anonymous said...

I had the FALCON 1 — but don’t remember anything about it, who wrote it drew it, nuthin. I liked Steve Mellor’s art on the various MARVEL TAILS strips

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Steve - I think, in the Spidey Try-Out book, readers practise doing art, inking, colouring - I'm guessing - etc (maybe even speech bubbles or dialogue, perhaps?) - like a real comic creator. The cover's partly not coloured in, as if to show readers they've got bits to complete.

Phillip

Steve W. said...

Phillip, that would indeed make sense.

Charlie, next month, I shall see what speech balloon action I can find.

Matthew, I agree, that Rom cover is terrible.

Anonymous said...

Pondering the “deja vu” on the Sunday ASM cover… Charlie got the vibe too. But I think it is simply due to JJJ’s ugly mug on the cover. I mean it was an exact replica of his mug from 10 years earlier and more, probably in some Spidey Slayer story?

Anonymous said...

So Steve, after the discussion last time is this post you letting us know there were still plenty of rubbish comics, even in 1983? I checked the rest of the month's Marvel output, and this selection is not unrepresentative. Thor #337 was definitely the outlier that November!
(Of course the happening stuff was coming from other publishers)

Mind you, I would be interested to read Krull #1. Hey, I'm curious to see a Marvel version of Bernard Bresslaw.
No wait... I think I'm getting Krull mixed up with Beastmaster.

Or is it Hawk the Slayer?

-sean

Anonymous said...

b.t., Falcon #1 was drawn by Paul Smith.
I think it was done before his X-Men run, and may even be the first job he did for Marvel - its very much in the mould of the boring stuff from the inventory file you'd find in issues of Fanfare at this point. That goes for the writing too, which is early work by Jim Owsley (better known by his later pen-name Christopher Priest).

The Falcon series is the kind of boring non-event you'd expect from a pair of newbies without much experience working on a poorly defined character, starting off in 'relevant' early 70s DC style then turning into the kind of bland c-list Marvel superhero comic you get in the 70s, built out of the company's continuity.
Even the storyline about Ronald Reagan being kidnapped by a street gang doesn't have the (unintentional) laffs you might hope for. Its ridiculous, but unfortunately not Jim Callaghan's abduction in the original Captain Brexit weekly ridiculous.

Most disappointing of all, Leila Taylor is nowhere to be seen.
I like to think that she was still fighting the power somewhere though. Maybe by the early 80s she was living under political asylum in Cuba...?

-sean

Anonymous said...

Steve

I remember that Marvel Try-out book as it was printed at full-sized art-board dimensions. At $12.95 it was out of reach of any of my friends, but I think a couple of future professionals used it as a professional gate-way to Marvel. The most creative version was by Charles Burns (yes, that Charles Burns) who corrupted John Romita Jr.'s pencils in Kitchen Sink's Buzz anthology. Spoiler: Peter ends up eating Aunt May...

https://drawblr-blog.tumblr.com/post/127639722228/charles-burns-reworking-of-the-john-romita-jr

DW

Charlie Horse 47 said...

DW... what are you getting on about CHARLES BURNS and Peter eating AUNT MAY?

Reason being Charlie is still traumatized by MARVEL ZOMBIES (2007) which showed SPIDEY eating AUNT MAY and MARY JANE (he was really hungry).

Did one inspire the other?

Colin Jones said...

Steve, I watched your review of Fantastic Four #1 on YouTube and it was hilarious :D

Anonymous said...

Charlie

Copy the link I posted into your browser and you can see the original Marvel try-out pencils and Charles Burns finished pages. They were printed as an original story in Buzz #s 1 and 2. This was in the early 90s.

DW


Colin Jones said...

Today is 40 years since I bought my first music album, The Best Of Blondie!

The tide is high but I'm holding on
I'm gonna be your number one...

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Ok... How does one search for Steve does FF#1 on youtube? I typed that in and got only "Steve does Ditko" and such but nothing seeming to be "our" Steve.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Colin - The first album I ever bought was Led Zepp #4. And the first song I played on that album was Black Dog.

My mom was not happy hearing "Hey Hey woman said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove" over the family record player.

Steve W. said...

Colin, thank you. :)

Charlie, I suspect that it's so old that YouTube's algorithm has simply buried it.

Colin, happy Blondieversary!

DW, thanks for the Marvel Try-Out info and link.

Sean, I can say nothing about the quality of the contents but I do feel the following Marvel comics had decent covers, this month:

Alpha Flight #4.
https://www.comics.org/issue/894849/cover/4/

Dazzler #29.
https://www.comics.org/issue/37948/cover/4/

Marvel Team-Up #135.
https://www.comics.org/issue/37962/cover/4/

Big D said...

Charlie,
Try "Silver Age Fantastic Four #1 Review" on YouTube and you'll arrive at the wonderful SteveDoesVids franchise.
Big D

Anonymous said...

If you're using a browser, scroll down to labels section (on the right hand side) and there's a videos tab which sorts all of Steve's video reviews. They're all still available, and funny.

DW

Colin Jones said...

Charlie, go to YouTube and type in stevedoesvids.

Anonymous said...

You know, Steve, on reading the 40 Years Ago feature I frequently look at the Mike's World 'Newsstand' feature to see what else came out that month, and with the Marvels I can usually guess a few that will appear later as part of your selection of the good, the bad and the ugly of comics in the Lucky Bag. But not this time.

That cover for Dazzler #29 is interesting, but I don't know that it's really one of the better ones Sienkiewicz was doing for the title at the time (although I'm sure it would have been more impressive had I seen it at the time, in pre-digital 1983).
Those other two though... nothing wrong with them, but for me they don't stand out either.

The Marvel cover that really caught my eye - apart from Thor #337 obvs - was Rom #48:
https://www.comics.org/issue/37968/cover/4/
Nice colour (and at a first glance I even thought it was by Michael Golden)

And King Conan #19 is ok. I thought you'd probably pick it, as you do seem to go for Kaluta covers:
https://www.comics.org/issue/37959/cover/4/

Actually, I don't recall ever seeing King Conan in the Lucky Bag, which - 19 issues in - is a bit of a surprise in itself.
None of which is a criticism. Its good that you're not predictable!
And while sometimes I find in retrospect the comics I liked as a young 'un aren't as impressive as I remember them, following your blog has greatly increased my appreciation of the terrible ones. So thanks.

-sean

Anonymous said...

PS Actually, now I think about it Steve, shouldn't King Conan have been in the Forty Years Ago feature since the first issue? If it was good enough for Spidey to have his second title added...

-sean

Anonymous said...

Duh. Crom, what a dullard I am. King Conan was of course the third Conan title!
So, will SSOC be added to the Fifty Years Ago Today feature next year, Steve?

-sean

Colin Jones said...

On the subject of Dallas - Suella Braverman's first name is actually Sue-Ellen and she was born on April 3rd 1980 when the TV show Dallas was at the height of its' popularity so was Cruella named after the character of Sue-Ellen in Dallas?

"Sue-Ellen, you're a drunk and an unfit mother!"

Colin Jones said...

FUN FACT: Suella Braverman and Nigel Farage share a birthday, April 3rd, as well as sharing the same ideology.

Steve, you're almost identical in age to Nigel Farage!

Steve W. said...

Colin, it is indeed a great honour to have arrived upon this planet at almost the same time as that great man of history.

Sean, I considered the Rom and King Conan covers but then opted not to. The Rom one was presumably a reference to the front of Amazing Spider-Man #50 and I feared that recycling that image had become somewhat of a cliche by 1983. I left out the King Conan one because, although the cover's pretty, it takes time to work out just what's going on and why Conan has his lower half missing. I worried that, maybe, a cover should be comprehensible at first site. As for SSOC, I think it'll be confined to the pages of the Marvel Lucky Bag where the black and white mags traditionally reside.