Thursday 28 March 2024

March 30th 1974 - Marvel UK, 50 years ago this week.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

Have you ever wanted your own private army?

If you so, you'll have to put some effort into it to get a bigger one than Qin Shi Huang the first emperor of China 

Admittedly, his was made of terracotta and buried with him and, therefore, may not have been much use in an actual fight.

But who cares about that? Not archaeologists. Not this week in 1974 because that's when members of that profession first impressed the world by unearthing it near Xi'an in the province of Shaanxi.

But an almost equally momentous event was taking place at around the same time.

You guessed it. March 30th saw BBC One screen The Day the Earth Caught Fire, a film I still, to this day, always get mixed up with When Worlds Collide.

i suppose the easy way to remember which is which is that the former movie stars the then editor of The Daily Express who quickly demonstrates that he's no actor.

Spider-Man Comics Weekly #59

Can it be? Is the webby wonder going to bring George Stacy to justice for stealing things while brainwashed?

He is if he has his way - but, quelle horreur, doing that might prevent him having his way with Gwen. Just which way-having will win out? Only the bitter twists and turns of a superhero's life can decide.

Speaking of which, Iron Man's still trapped in the distant past and assisting Cleopatra in her efforts to defeat malevolent chancer Hatap, AKA the Mad Pharoah.

Strangely enough, the 1980s BBC drama serial about the multitude of Cleopatras never once mentioned this incident. And that's, no doubt, why it failed to win the hearts of the nation.

In the present - and in Asgard - a weakened Thor must defeat an ex-lickspittle of Odin who's got his hands on that ruler's superpowers and is determined to abuse them.

Our hero succeeds but will even that act of heroism make Odin stop acting like a demented tyrant at him?

And the issue signs off with a venerable Syd Shores drawn tale in which a thug demands a sorcerer reveals the six words which will allow him to fling men into limbo.

This can only mean trouble for someone and - inevitably - that someone is himself.

The Avengers #28, Shang-Chi busts through a wall, to the astonishment of the Avengers who thought this was their comic!

Hold on to your nunchucks because a seismic shift has arrived at Marvel UK, as Shang-Chi, master of kung fu, takes over as headline act in the Avengers' book.

And he doesn't do it with much style, managing to commit murder, right off the bat.

Fortunately, he soon recognises the error of his ways and sets out to punch his own dad in the gob.

When it comes to the Avengers; as far as I'm aware, Goliath's still in a hidden city in the Andes and still fighting its inhabitants.

Elsewhere, in the world of Dr Strange, Dormammu challenges our hero to a battle for  mastery of Earth!

And, to do it, their only weapon must be...

...The Pincers Of Power!

The Mighty World of Marvel #78, the Glob

Judging by that cover, the Hulk remains in the Everglades and is out to rescue Betty Ross from the clutches of the Glob.

But how can even the Hulk defeat a foe so squishy that you can't land a good blow on him?

And does he even need to?

Over in New York, the man without fear continues to face the Organization's coterie of animal-themed crooks, as they seek to prevent Foggy Nelson from becoming DA.

Or are they seeking to enable him to become DA? I'm struggling to recall.

In the Baxter Building, the first family of super-doers is in a life-or-death contretemps with the Frightful Four.

Is this the one that climaxes with the evil FF literally nuking the good FF?

If so, I think we can safely say that's a bunch of bad guys who don't believe in doing things by half.

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve - My brother & I used to listen to the 'When Worlds Collide' theme, on a tape version of this album (track 11):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJkqnX8KWCQ

Phillip

Anonymous said...

The title WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE really conjures up a hell of a visual, doesn’t it? Unfortunately, that one shot where our world actually makes contact with another world is very brief — I seem to remember that the movie cuts to the next scene practically in mid-explosion. Maybe they felt audiences of the day would find the full-length collision too upsetting.

I’ve never seen THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE. In that one, does the Earth actually burst into flame? I’m betting it doesn’t.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Maybe 'When Worlds Collide' was inspired by Velikovsky's theory!

Phillip

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

T8 answer your question, Steve, the FF story is from FF #36. The evil FF nuke the FF (and in doing so take way all their powers) in their next appearance in FF #38

Anonymous said...

That Glob seems to bear a weird resemblance to The Heap from Airboy? Dont know why but that was my first impression…

CH

Matthew McKinnon said...

The Day The Earth Caught Fire is actually really really good. It’s completely straight-faced, very realistic and quite grim. Highly recommended.

Matthew McKinnon said...

That album was the first album I ever bought. Honest. I bought it from the record dept in Boots in Southport in 1979. I haven’t got it any more, I wish I’d kept it.

Anonymous said...

Matthew - We got the companion album (Themes for Superheroes) on September 10th, 1979. Star Wars & other Space Themes was probably later in 1979 ( which chimes with your dating.) I agree, it's a great album.

Phillip

Anonymous said...

Phillip, Matthew - there must have been a lot of copies of that album around in the late 70s because my brother had it too. He liked it so much I seem to recall he saved up and also got the Close Encounters one...

https://www.discogs.com/release/874156-Geoff-Loves-Big-Disco-Sound-Close-Encounters-Of-The-Third-Kind-And-Other-Disco-Galactic-Themes

Btw, they both came out in '78. I guess it was the era of Star Wars, and those MFP albums were cheap. But they really massacre the tunes.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Well, your brother's joining our club, Sean! I think one of the viewer comments for the album reckoned its version of Princess Leia's theme was superior to the original - so not all the renditions were inferior versions!

Phillip

Anonymous said...

I suppose I should be embarrassed to admit that I love the STAR WARS AND OTHER GALACTIC FUNK album by Meco, but I’m totally not. The single “Star Wars Theme/ Cantina Band” spent two weeks at #1 on Billboard’s Hot 100.

b.t.

Colin Jones said...

Happy Easter to one and all! Steve, don't you turn 60 on Easter Monday?

Matthew McKinnon said...

I never got that companion one. I got a couple of cheap cover version albums of Close Encounters -

https://www.discogs.com/release/4370644-The-National-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Close-Encounters-Of-The-Third-Kind-And-Other-Great-Space-Music

https://www.discogs.com/master/651483-The-Interplanetary-Sound-Workshop-Orchestra-Music-From-Close-Encounters-Of-The-Third-Kind

and then I moved onto actual genuine original soundtrack albums (mainly on tape, as I was given a tape recorder that year).

Anonymous said...

Soundtracks. I've thought about bringing that up for a Speak Your Brain a few times, Matthew, but someone else always gets in first. Maybe next month...

Colin, you might be right about Monday. In which case we get to celebrate Steve AND the Easter Rising on the same day! How awesome is that, Steve?

-sean

Steve W. said...

Happy Easter to you too, Colin. And to everyone who frequents - and even infrequents - this site.

Obviously, in order to remain the enigma that I've always been, I couldn't possibly comment upon when my birthday falls.

Charlie, I don't think there's any doubt the Glob was based on The Heap.

Dangermash, thanks for clarifying just when the evil FF nuked the good FF.

Bt, as far as I can recall, the entire planet doesn't catch fire in The Day the Earth Caught Fire but it's not devoid of local conflagration.

Phillip and Sean, thanks for those YouTube links. It's nice to see Geoff Love did something beyond his stint as Manuel and his Music of the Mountains.

Matthew, I've not seen The Day the Earth Caught Fire in a few years. I do have faith it'll be repeated on either Legend or TalkingPicturesTV in the not-too-distant future.

Steve W. said...

Sean, that is indeed mega-awesome to the max.

Colin Jones said...

Sean, Easter Monday is also when Radio 4 begins its' new revamped schedule so that's triple awesome.

Colin Jones said...

Phillip, continuing our blank tapes discussion - I've still got two unopened TDK blank cassettes which I keep as a memento of the days when I bought blank tapes regularly. I always preferred TDK as I considered them the best.

By the way, you were almost right with your guess about Channel 5 launching in 1999 - I was sure it was 1991 but I checked and it was actually 1997. Anyway the launch was irrelevant to me because I lived in one of the regions that couldn't receive Channel 5.

Anonymous said...

Colin - Yes, 1997 sounds right. I think I covered myself by saying over/more than (?) 25 years ago, as I'm often vague on exact dates! TDK were widely available, and I had many too. Recently I tried playing 'The Prime Ministers: Horace Walpole', which I taped from Radio 4 a few years ago (?), but the sound isn't too good. That's the one downside of tapes - possible deterioration!

The thing about Radio 4 revamping its schedule on Monday may be a juvenile BBC prank, Monday being April 1st!

Phillip

Colin Jones said...

Phillip, I assume you mean Robert Walpole - Horace was his son who wrote "The Castle Of Otranto" which is considered to be the first ever gothic novel.

Anonymous said...

Colin - Yes, Robert Walpole; it's not my day today!

Phillip

Colin Jones said...

I don't remember much about 'The Day The Earth Caught Fire' except that the world gets hotter and hotter but I certainly remember 'When World Collide' because that film blew me away when I first saw it aged 9 or so. There's a scene where a helicopter flies over the drowned New York and only the tops of the skyscrapers are sticking above the water.

It's now believed that two planets did collide in the early solar system and the combined material formed the Earth and moon.

Anonymous said...

Colin: despite my casual snark, I too was very impressed by WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE at a young age. I even got to see it on the big screen once, at a revival house in the late 70s and it was pretty great. I have to say though, that shot of the Big Collision is even more anti-climactic and than I remembered — I just watched a clip of it on YouTube and it’s seen from the exiles’ POV, on their big TV screen, it doesn’t even fill the whole frame. After the all the suspenseful build-up, it’s disappointing.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

My brother's visiting over Easter. Discussing SDC, he's informed me that he bought 'Star Wars & Other Space Themes' with his 1977 X-mas money. So, it was probably bought in January 1978. Sean's brother's copy's date of 1978 chimes with this, too. My own memory is becoming less & less trustworthy!

Phillip

Anonymous said...

It seems I may have been mistaken, Phillip, and Geoff Love's Star Wars LP originally came out in 1977, with a different cover design. In Belgium.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1065087-Geoff-Love-And-His-Orchestra-Star-Wars-And-Other-Space-Movie-Themes

-sean

Anonymous said...

It's age, Sean - both of our memories are failing!

Phillip

Colin Jones said...

ATTENTION UK READERS: British Summer Time begins at 2am tomorrow so don't forget to put your clocks forward one hour.

Colin Jones said...

FUN FACT: Easter Sunday falls on March 31st for the 4th time since 1991 but it won't happen again until 2086.

Colin Jones said...

Why are there no Easter songs?

Last Easter I gave you my heart
But the very next day you gave it away...

Anonymous said...

Colin - interesting question! I suspect simply because Easter is a solemn event, celebrated daily and annually over the two millenniums, as the crux of the Christian faith.

Christmas however did not become this orgy of food, song, gifts, parties that we know until maybe the last 75 - 80 years?

And celebrating a birthday, and snow, is certainly more fun and less “heavy” than celebrating betrayal, crucifixtion, death, resurrection…

That said I do enjoy the “opera” JC Superstar more than “A Chipmunk Christmas.” Maybe not more than Andy Williams crooning some xmas favorites though! :)

Cheers, Happy Easter.Big Joe

Colin Jones said...

Happy Easter to you too, Charlie/Joe.

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter, y’all

b.t.

Anonymous said...

What are you talking about, Colin? Of course there are plenty of songs about Easter.
Like this one -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfkg8IWGJfw

-sean

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter, everyone!

Did anyone buy an Easter egg? I bought myself a small, Cadbury's white buttons egg, from Morrisons. It was about £1.50 (?) and only had 12 white buttons in the egg - but for a middle-aged guy, a small egg's just about right. A lot of chocolate leaves you bloated, or with a headache!

Phillip

Steve W. said...

Phillip, I didn't have an Easter Egg.

I did, though, have a bar of Galaxy.