Sunday 5 May 2024

Fifty years ago today - May 1974.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

A time portal has appeared in my living room.

And I cannot resist the urge to step through it.

Conan the Barbarian #38, Were-Woman

At last, Conan finds himself a female who can adorn a cover without cowering.

According to the blurb, she's a were-woman, proving, once again, that no one in the 1970s Bullpen seems to know what the "were" in "werewolf" actually means.

Apparently, what happens inside is someone called Amytis betrays Conan who then kills someone called Gimil-Ishbi. He also fights Lilitu before quitting the Turanian Army.

Avengers #123, Zodiac

Judging by that cover, Libra's aiming for the title of World's Most Constipated Looking Super-Villain
, as Mantis finally finds out who her dad is.

Captain America and the Falcon #173, X-Men

It would appear Cap and Falc are out to give Nick Fury the slap we all know he deserves.

And that's all the wisdom I can share about this issue, other than to say it clearly features a guest-appearance by the X-Men.

Daredevil #109, Nekra

This all rings a bell. But only in the very vaguest of ways. Is Nekra something to do with the Mandrill?

Whether she is or isn't, it seems it all relates to the fact that, while defacing American landmarks, the Black Spectre tries to force Daredevil and the Black Widow to work for him.

Fantastic Four #146

I genuinely have no idea what happens in this one and, sadly, the cover lends me few clues. But I do know the tale within bears the 
dramatic title Doomsday: 200° Below!

Incredible Hulk #175, Black Bolt and the Inhumans

I do know what happens in this one, though.

It's another belter when the Hulk finds himself in the Great Refuge and up against none other than Black Bolt.

Realising our hero's too strong to contain for long, the leader of the Inhumans has him put into a rocket and fired at Counter-Earth.

Amazing Spider-Man #132, the Molten Man

The Molten Man's back - and causing 
trouble for Spider-Man!

I do believe this is the one in which Molty's out to find a cure for his condition and, for no good reason, Spidey keeps trying to sabotage his attempts to find that cure.

But I do suspect that means this is the issue in which Liz Allen makes her surprise return appearance.

Thor #223, Pluto

My memories of this tale are super-humanly fuzzy but I do believe Pluto's prisoner on the cover is none other than Krista, sister of the magnificently strapping Hildegarde.

Detective Comics #440, Batman, Ghost Mountain Midnight

That's Marvel's big hitters accounted for.

But what of that company's biggest rival?

Just how does a random sampling of its output that bears the same cover date look?

It's looking like a great big slab of super-hero goodness, as Detective Comics gets the 100-page treatment - kicking off with Batman investigating an abduction and ending up having to fight an enraged bear.

But that's not all. This issue also contains such gems as The Fear That Haunted Hawkman and Doll Man in A Million-Dollar Corpse!

The Green Lantern, meanwhile, encounters Too Many Suspects!, Batman and Robin unearth the Inside Story of the Outsider! and there's tense action for the Golden Age Manhunter when he tackles the Cobras of the Deep.

But, most importantly of all, the Bronze Age Manhunter reveals just where the evil army of his clones originated.

Rima, the Jungle Girl #1

A brand new mag and a brand new heroine smash their way into our shops, as Rima the Jungle Girl emerges from the undergrowth to, no doubt, startle us all.

But, the cover demands to know, "Is she beast or human?"

My guess is that she's human.

I don't know anything about the main story but I do know it's called Spirit of the Woods and is brought to us by Robert Kanigher, W H Hudson (responsible for the original novel), Nestor Redondo and Joe Kubert.

The backup strip is a thing called Four Tombs! and is the product of Robert Kanigher and Alex Niño.

I think we can guarantee this comic will look good, if nothing else.

The Superman Family #164

And another new mag hits our shops.

Not that you'd know it from the cover, as this is officially issue #164, thanks to it inheriting the numbering from the now-defunct Jimmy Olsen comic it replaces.

And, appropriately, the issue kicks off with an Olsen yarn as "Mr Action" must figure out who's behind the vandalism of a project created by his father to help troubled teens.

We also get Supergirl in sensational solo action against Brainiac, Krypto becoming a Hollywood star,  Jimmy Olsen (again) in The Gift-Wrapped Doom, Perry White leading his staff on The Death March!, and finish off with The Three Wives of Superman.

All three of whom, I'm fairly certain, come to an untimely end thanks to their marriage to the man of steel.

Famous First Edition #C-26, featuring Action Comics #1

Speaking of that hero, we get a giant-sized reprint of the first-ever Superman story, as he delivers a witness to the governor to stop an execution, then stops a wife-beater.

Not only that but he must intervene when Lois Lane attracts the homicidal wrath of someone called Butch Matson.

Finally, Clark Kent sets out to discover which treasonous scum is behind a senator who's pushing legislation that will get the United States involved in a war in Europe.

But it's not all Kal-El, this issue. We're also provided with an adventure for Chuck Dawson, a tale called The Mystery of the Freight Train Robberies! starring Zatara, The South Sea Strategy, Sticky-Mitt Stimson, The Adventures of Marco Polo and action for such characters as Pep Morgan, Scoop Scanlon and Tex Thomson.

Limited Collectors' Edition #C-25, Batman

As we all know, anything Superman can manage, Batman can match. And, so, he too gets a Limited Collection Edition in his name.

In this one, we encounter The Case of the Joker's Crime Circus!The Case Batman Failed to Solve!!!, The Mayors of Yonville!, Hate of the Hooded Hangman!, Hot Time in Gotham Town Tonight!, Ghost of the Killer Skies! and a look at Batman on the Screen.

As if that wasn't enough for any sane reader, we're also supplied with a free Table-Top Diorama as created by no lesser authority than Neal Adams.

Black Magic #3

And I've included this one purely because of the Jerry Grandenetti cover. Inside, we're treated to three ancient stories of terror as reprinted from 1952.

25 comments:

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Sweet shortbreads!

This posting is really gushing some 1970s Bronze Age wonders!

Treasury Editions! (DC)

100-page Giants! (DC)

Too many Gil Kane covers! (Marvel)

Love it!

And Charlie hasn't even started reading Steve's assuredly mirthful commentary!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Love the little Doll Man picture on Detective.

He was the very first (ever) diminutive comic hero starting 1939 and had a solid 14 year run through 1953.

A product of the Quality Comic line he was drawn by no less that Lou Fine and Reed Crandall, giants in the world of comic book art.

And his demise in 1953, being abnormally successful with such a simple concept, is yet another data point that the Comics Code didn't kill superhero comics... changing tastes did.

Beyond that, I have no idea what kind of nutfuckery awaited Doll Man once DC brought back the Quality Comic line (besides Plastic Man and the Blackhawks) starting in the early 1970s.

Historical Charlie Horse

Charlie Horse 47 said...

DW - Sorry for your Hammers. Really I empathize as a Chicago White Sox baseball fan. (My Sox are setting all sorts of negative records... like the most shut outs in a row since 1908.)

FWIW - there are two really good players with Miami FC this year. Their names are Messi and Suarez. They work really well together as a team!

Maybe tune in once the EPL tunes out in a few weeks?

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Love how Marvel puts a private-citizen black man front and center on the DD cover... when it comes to chasing free money!

Only thing missing is some women grabbing some free loot and running into a dress shop or a chocolate shop or a shoe store, lol.

Social Commentary Charles

dangermash said...

Yes Liz is back in ASM.

It's Molten Man's third appearance and his first since the Ditko days. Ditko's Molten Man was shiny and metallic. I guess he was even cold to the touch. But in his third appearance he's red hot, burning footprints behind him. I find it odd that Spider–Man works out it's Molten Man from the footprints after only coming across the Ditko version before now.

Anonymous said...

Steve - Rima's a character from W.H.Hudson's novel, 'Green Mansions'. I think jungle girl-type characters were a thing, as Conrad also had one (Aissa), in 'An Outcast of the Islands'.

I've got the Avengers; also DD in MWOM (was Nekra a vampire, maybe? I forget). The others - no. Although I do remember Black Bolt beat the Hulk, once (I was displeased, as a kid!)

Tigra's also a Werewoman - and she's not male, either! Nor is she lupine. That occurred to me, until you just highlighted it! Every SDC post's a school day!

Phillip

Fantastic Four follower said...

All the Marvel comics were non-distributed in the UK causing each to be highly desired by collectors and enterprising dealers to import directly from the US and charge vast sums for them!( Vast sums being 20p,gulp,instead of the normal 6p (I think).At the time this caused my head to spin at the thought that this was far beyond my pocket money and I would never see inside these covers.Eventually I had them all but the magic of thier unattainability(Is that a word?) remains with me.The fact that they were cents copies only enhanced their desirability which remains to this day.Loved them at the time but the quality of the comics is all over the place but in my head they remain extremely desirable.Loved the covers of Marvel Comics in these months and yes Gil Kane was..EVERYWHERE!Think he had alimony to pay to ex wives hence the need to generate cash and covers were easier than 20 page comics so I sympathise with him.1974 was my favourite year in comics.

Anonymous said...

never occurred to me!

Phillip

Redartz said...

Boy oh boy, this was a month to be a comic fan. As I proved, having all the Marvels except Thor. Plus Detective, and Rima ( which was indeed a joy to behold- that Redondo art was luxurious. And the Nino art in the backup was pretty cool too; and wrapped in a fine Kubert cover!).

That issue of Amazing Spider-Man was a biggie for me. There may be someone here who I haven't bored with the story, so:
My dad was a doctor, and would sometimes take one of us kids along to the hospital evenings while he made his rounds. One such night I was waiting for him at the hospital gift shop, where there were some comics; most notably ASM 132. That cover was a firecracker that light a fuse- my school pal was a comic fan and had been trying to convince me to start reading them. This book, on that evening, tipped the scale for me, and my Dad was kind enough to buy it for me. That opened the floodgates which remain open yet today (picked up 6 books at Free Comic Book Day yesterday). And as Dangermash noted, MM was more accurately molten now than when Ditko devised him.

All things considered, Fantastic Four Follower and I agree on this- 1974 was one dynamite year in comics...

Anonymous said...

Steve, your lack of familiarity with this era of CONAN THE BARBARIAN continues to dismay me! This one and #37 from last month are both ‘Desert Island’ comics for me. Seeing an entire issue of Big John inking his own pencils for the first time pushed him even further up on my list of Favorite Comics Artists, where he was already in my Top Ten. It’s stunning, lushly rendered and just plain beautiful. Even after all these decades, I never get tired of looking at it.

Re: the gender-confusion of ‘Were-woman’: I remember former school teacher Roy Thomas mea culpa-ing about it on a letters page or editorial, in CTB or maybe GIANT-SIZE CREATURES #1. Yes, yes, he KNEW it wasn’t proper, but figured his audience wouldn’t know the difference, or care. I honestly don’t know if that’s any better than if he had made the mistake out of ignorance.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Once again, I don’t know if the comics of this period were genuinely Extra Special or if they just seemed that way because I got them in the Early Honeymoon Phase of my Comics Obsession. Whatever! All I know for sure is that I bought almost all of these Marvels off the racks back in the Long Ago (I think I missed that HULK) , loved them all dearly and just seeing the covers here makes me a bit verklempt.

I don’t think I even saw RIMA #1 on sale back then. I’m embarrassed to admit that if I had, I probably wouldn’t have bought it. I was still a Marvel Chauvinist, wasn’t yet a fan of Redondo and actively disliked Nino’s stuff (stupid 12-year-old Me).

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Thats right about Nekra and the Mandrill, Steve - they came as a pair. The same radiation that made her look white skinned even though she was born to black parents made him seem black to his white folks because he er... had an ape-like face? #@&$ knows what Steve Gerber was getting at with that, but best not to give it any further thought (and I didn't even get to the Mandrill's power to control women).
Iirc Shanna the She-Devil turns up at the end of Daredevil #109.

On the subject of women who run around the jungle in loincloths, Rima #1 does not look good - it looks absolutely fantastic. Particularly the Space Voyagers back ups drawn by the mighty Alex Nino (not that Nestor Redondo didn't do exceptional work too).
The series isn't a bad read either, once it gets going.

Phillip, I'm not familiar with WD Hudson's 'Green Mansions', although I have seen a bit of the 1959 film version. With Audrey Hepburn as Rima. Its terrible.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLnwlvW0DRs

-sean

Anonymous said...

Sean - I once wrote to the Tolkien Society(?), because a bit of prose in 'Green Mansions' chimed with another bit of prose in Tolkien's 'Children of Hurin'. Could Tolkien have unconsciously been influenced, after reading Hudson, I wondered? Anyway, the topic's probably a bit boring, and the correspondence is on an old e-mail address that I can't recover, regardless. Besides, I know Tolkien isn't top of Steve's author list! I'll have a look at your link tomorrow. Even if it's rubbish, it's worth a look. The only other W.H.Hudson book I've read is 'The Purple Land' - that, because it got bigged up in Hemingway's 'Fiesta'. Anyway, enough of this self-indulgent nonsense!

Phillip

Anonymous said...

The film is pretty much what you'd expect from that era, Phillip.

Steve, Superman Family took over the numbering from Jimmy Olsen, but I would suggest it was also a continuation of Supergirl and Lois Lane - both those titles had been recently cancelled, and all three characters alternated in the lead, new story slot.
Sorta like a three-way DC version of the 'great news for all readers'-type merger you'd get in British comics.

So in the next issue - #165 - is a big improvement, as the main feature switches to Supergirl by Elliot S! Maggin and the Saaf/Coletta team. In which - as if her life wasn't already weird enough - the Maid of Might moves to Florida!
And the one after that isn't bad either, with Lois Lane going in a new direction too, as thanks to her expertise in martial arts she gets recruited by the Secret Intelligence Agency. Is there no end to the lady's talents?

-sean

Anonymous said...

*So the next issue...
Sorry that got a bit garbled there. Poor editing.

-sean

Colin Jones said...

The Fantastic Four cover was also the cover of Marvel UK's Complete FF #14 which was waiting for me when I got home from school on December 22nd 1977, the day we broke up for the Christmas holidays at the end of my first term in secondary school. The BBC's 'Count Dracula' starring Louis Jourdan was on TV that night and 'Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe' was on TV every morning over the Christmas period as well as a season of Elvis films (as he'd died only four months earlier).

Colin Jones said...

The FF story follows on from the previous issue. Medusa & The Human Torch intend to visit the Inhumans but their plane crashes in the Himalayas and they are captured by Ternak who plans to use his special machine to turn the entire world into a frozen wilderness which he will then rule over. The Thing turns up, looking for his missing team-mates and (surprise, surprise) they defeat Ternak and the world is saved, hurrah!

Steve W. said...

Thanks to you all for your comments. It's currently the May Day bank holiday here. So, I shall wish you all a happy May Day, even if it's not currently a holiday where you are.

Anonymous said...

Peeking at Mike’s Newsstand, I see a majestic mountain of magnificent mags from May ‘74 still waiting for us to wax rhapsodic about, including a dynamic double-dose of Dauntless Don, two -count em -two weird and wacky Wrightson wonders, a fantastic 52-page comic that I know Redartz loves as much as I do, and the spectacular reprint issue that made me realize once and for all that I got just as much enjoyment out of the older adventures of some characters as I did from their ‘present day’ exploits (and often, significantly MORE).

If Steve stays true to form, I’m guessing we’ll see a Marvel Lucky Bag for May ‘74 in a few days, so I’ll hold fire ‘til then…

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Ah, that Batman "Limited Collectors Edition" takes me back. I remember the ads for those and the "Marvel Treasury Editions" in the regular comics. Those ads showing those gorgeous covers would make me salivate as a young kid. Later on (when I had some bread) I would pick up some used copies here and there.
They all turned out to be basically collections of reprints, and the larger format made the art look a bit crude.
Still good fun though, and DC used to pack some extras in there like puzzles and such.
And the covers...wow. Particularly the covers for the Justice League of America and Secret Origins of Supervillains.
I Think they were done by Mike Grell, who was a great cover guy.

M.P.

Anonymous said...

I had way more of the Marvel Treasuries than the DC Limited Editions. The Batman Vs Ras Al Ghul Limited Edition was a big deal back in the day. Weird to think there was a time when those stories hadn’t been collected and reprinted ad nauseum.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

-Red
...on another note, I enjoyed your story about your dad. He sounds like a great guy.
It reminded me of the times in the early '70's when my mom would take me and my brother to a dentist office, a doctor's office or a barber, and there would be comics there for a kid to read while waiting.
If you were lucky, there might be a Marvel or two in there.
Heck, even a Donald Duck comic was better than nothing.

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Steve, hope you had a good holiday yesterday yourself, even if I can't bring myself to call the 6th Bealtaine or May Day.
Because it isn't. But up the workers anyway!

-sean

Redartz said...

M.P.- Many thanks, my Dad was terrific. Both my parents were very supportive of my comics hobby, even occasionally bringing me home some random vintage book from their antique hunts. Still have a 1950's Coca Cola promo comic they found .
And yes, comics always made a wait easier. Our barber had a big stack of coverless comics which had obviously been perused by many fidgety kids!

Anonymous said...

The clientele for our local barber shop was mostly grown-up men, and older men at that. I don’t remember seeing any other kids in there beside my brothers and me. There were usually only beat-up copies of things like MOTOR TREND and SPORTS ILLUSTRATED to look at while we waited our turn. I might have found a coverless Archie or Harvey comic there, once or twice.

When I was around 15 or 16, I was allowed to get my hair cut at a hip ‘Men’s Hair Stylist’ shop. Copies of PLAYBOY and PENTHOUSE in the waiting area were a distinct improvement ;)

b.t.