Tuesday 7 May 2024

The Marvel Lucky Bag - May 1974.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

Mere days ago, we were recalling the output of Hammer Studios and its impact upon our lives.

How appropriate, then, that May 1974 saw the release of one of their myriad classics with the unleashing of Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell. How we gasped as the unscrupulous scientist created a monster that looked like he'd been experimenting on the corpses of five cavemen, three orangutans and a carpet.

But that wasn't the only cinematic release that May because we were also granted our first chance to see both Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, neither of which have I ever seen but, even in my reclusive abode, I have heard talk of both, oft conducted in hushed whispers.

Captain Marvel #32

Cap's looking ready to fly into the fray on that cover but what I need to know is whether it is, as I suspect, the issue in which the Kree clobberer first turns cosmic?

Even if it isn't, I do know it's the one in which we first discover the origin of Moondragon.

I'm assuming, therefore, that this means we also learn the origin of Drax the Destroyer.

Giant-Size Super-Stars #1, Thing vs Hulk

A brand new mag hits the shelves, with what appears to be the only issue of it that'll ever be published before it transforms into Giant-Size Fantastic Four.

But what a way to make its mark, with yet another clash between the Hulk and the Thing.

However, unless my memory fails me, this is a clash with a difference, as, by some means I no longer recollect, the pair manage to swap bodies, leaving the Hulk, for once, as the weaker combatant.

Not that he lets that stop him.

We also get a whole fistful of super-villain pin-ups as created by Jack Kirby way back in the 1960s.

Haunt of Horror #1

And another new mag enters out lives. One that's destined to last for more than one issue.

In fact, it will last for five issues.

In this one, we're presented with such yarns as The Rats!, Heartstop, The Last Man!, His Own Kind!, The Nightmare Patrol and In the Shadows of the City, brought to us by the likes of Gerry Conway, Ralph Reese, Roy Thomas, Alfredo Alcala, George Alec Effinger, Walt Simonson and a plethora of others whose talents are beyond both impeachment and reproachment.

Jungle Action #9, Panther's Rage

Things notch up a gear for the king of Wakanda when Killmonger's latest weirdo Baron Macabre raises a legion of the dead to battle our hero.

Meanwhile, Zatama - Presumably no relation to Zatanna and Zatara - is murdered and, with grim inevitability, the perma-unpopular Monica Lynne finds herself accused of the deed.

Man-Thing #5, Night of the Laughing Dead

It's one of those issues that demonstrates a Man-Thing comic can be made viable, as we get the never-to-be-forgotten Night of the Laughing Dead in which Darrel the Clown commits suicide then treats us to his life story before we get to watch Manny battle for the man's very soul.

Savage Tales #4, Neal Adams cover

Neal Adams gives us a cover that demands we buy this issue.

But what of the insides?

The main tale is Night of the Dark God by Thomas, Kane and Adams, adapted from a Robert E Howard original I've no memory of, despite almost certainly having read it.

In it, Conan returns to Cimmeria, only to discover his childhood sweetheart Mala has been abducted by Vanir raiders. It all ends with Mala killing herself while our hero receives unexpected help from a band of Picts.

There's also a look back at everyone's favourite movie Jason and the Argonauts, a Joe Maneely reprint titled Origin of the Crusader and the Barry Smith drawn Dweller in the Dark.

Sub-Mariner #70

Seeking a cure for the condition that's left his people in a state of suspended animation, Subby explores a long-lost shipwreck - but hasn't counted on the presence of the monstrous Piranha and his army of whatever it is he has an army of.

Zombie #5

In our main tale, someone called Papa Shorty receives the Amulet of Damballah and uses it to summon the zombie.

We're also gifted a look back at the movie White Zombie, a tale called Who Walks with a Zombie? and yarns that bear such names as With the Dawn Comes Death (Part 2), Voodoo War! and Death's Bleak Birth!

I have to say, you'd have to be seriously addicted to restless corpses to read that much material on the subject each month.

Marvel Premiere #15, Iron Fist

At last, a martial arts legend enters our lives when Iron Fist flashes his neon knuckles at anyone who gets in his way.

In this epic, Fisty passes the final tests in his K'un-Lun training and is granted the privilege of immortality if he so wants it.

I can only assume he doesn't so want it because I don't remember it ever being claimed that he's immortal in any issues after this one 

And because he's a man who can multitask; while he's doing it, he also conducts flashbacks into how he first arrived there, as a child, and into the death of his parents.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post is always, Steve! Charlie had the giant size superstars featuring the fantastic four. For many people, when that came out, it was a “must buy.” To this day, whether at your vulnerable blog site, or others, it is very common to hear Folks my age still gush about when they saw that thing on the spinner rack.

The only other book featured, that I would have habitually bought, would have been the submariner. But with Bill Everett’s passing, the book simply lost its charm. It suddenly seemed harsh compared to bills artwork and stories. The mirth was gone, replaced with anger and hatred. The intelligent, thoughtful submariner have been replaced by a raging brute oh really mirrored his counterpart the human torch.

Anonymous said...

Wow, there really were some terrific comics published that month — you’ve hit most of the highlights, Steve.

I think Mar-Vell had gained his poorly-defined Cosmic Awareness Powers a few issues earlier (I want to say it was in #29?) but #32 is definitely the issue where we got the origin stories of both Moondragon and Dax the Destroyer. Funny, I remember Moondragon’s origin fairly well, but I’m blanking on the specifics of Dax’s. Were the two origins actually related perhaps?

Loved that GIANT-SIZE SUPER-STARS #1-and-only! I think this was the first time I recognized that Buckler was doing a blatant ‘Xerox Kirby’ thing, but I didn’t mind, in fact I actually kinda dug it. It’s a very simple plot, basically just an excuse for a big Thing Vs Hulk punch-up, but with a pretty clever twist, and I thought it was 25 pages of fightin’ FUN. I even liked the reprint Pin Up pages on the back.

I have to admit I fell for the hype — I loved the whole idea of the GIANT-SIZE line, and bought just about every one I could find. They weren’t always genuinely ‘Special’ (sometimes they were actually very poor) but I loved ‘em nevertheless. I even continued buying them when they went ‘All Reprint’.

I was disappointed to see that Buckler had bailed on ‘Panther’s Rage’ but Gil Kane was a more than adequate replacement, even if it turned out to be just for this one issue. Klaus Janson was hitting an early peak as an inker. This might be his nicest-looking collaboration with Kane. It’s super-stylish.

Again, ‘musical chairs’ time at the House of Ideas. I was sorry to see Ploog move on from WEREWOLF BY NIGHT but delighted to see him taking over MAN-THING — and honestly, he looked like he was running out of gas on the last few issues of WEREWOLF anyway. I don’t know if Steve Gerber’s scripts inspired him to up his game or what, but every one of his MAN-THING issues was really good. That ‘Laughing Dead’ two-parter is a gut-punch heartbreaker.

Now, I have a certain amount of fondness for TALES OF THE ZOMBIE, but I totally agree with you, Steve. I like chili cheeseburgers too but I wouldn’t want to have a steady diet of the things.

Ahh, the first Iron Fist. Loved it then, love it now. Another visual home run from Gil Kane — he was ‘two for two’ that month. Too bad the series itself never again rose to the quality level of that first issue. Oh well. I remember seeing an ad for it, saying it would be on sale Such-and-Such a date, and by gum, it DID actually hit the spinner rack on that very day!

Steve, I seem to recall Fisty (ha!) could only become immortal if he remained in Brigadoon-Shangri-La. We find out in the next ish that he had to leave because revenge. Oh well! Wasn’t there a recent reboot called THE IMMORTAL IRION FIST? I never read it, but I I wonder if it had anything to do with the ‘privilege’ he earned by defeating that robot.

b.t.



Steve W. said...

Bt, as far as I can remember, Drax is Moondragon's father who was resurrected after a car crash in which she was abducted by aliens.

Anonymous said...

A few more May ‘74 goodies worth mentioning:

Pretty solid (not mind-blowing) issues of THE DEFENDERS and MARVEL TEAM-UP by Len Wein and Sal Buscema …. MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE 3 is the latest chapter in Steve Gerber’s ‘Black Spectre’ saga … FRANKENSTEIN 10 is a halfway-decent Gary Friedrich/ John Buscema thriller (it’s all downhill after this one) ….. CREATURES ON THE LOOSE 29 is the last issue featuring Thongor (I liked Vincent’s Alcazar’s unconventional approach to Sword and Sorcery art)…..

SWAMP THING 10 is, alas, Bernie Wrightson’s last issue of that title, and it’s a truly excellent one. VERY creepy. He also has a fun comedic horror short in PLOP! 5, ‘Molded in Evil’.

I’d been sort of half-heartedly buying Marvel’s various superhero reprint titles. Somehow, I had gotten it into my head that they weren’t as satisfying as the ‘new’ comics currently being published. Just because they were old, basically. What a dope I was! I’d actually been enjoying the Thor reprints in MARVEL SPECTACULAR quite a bit and #7 (where Jane Foster goes to Asgard and Odin sets her up to fail at being ‘worthy’ of his son’s affections) was so damn good that I finally realized that even though a comic might be ‘Old’ it was still brand new to ME, and I should just get over myself. From that day forward, I didn’t miss an issue of MARVEL SPECTACULAR, MARVEL TALES, MARVEL’S GREATEST, etc if I could help it.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Steve, I thought that might be the case, but I wasn’t sure. Thanks! Maybe because Judo Jim didn’t give us the expected scene of Father and Daughter being reunited, it didn’t stick in my memory.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

I recall resurrected Drax's near-indestructible form was created from 'primal clay'(?) - what 'primal clay' is, I don't know - but it sounds exciting. The origin happening after a car crash reminds me of Peter Quill, becoming Star Lord.

To UK readers, much of today's excellent bumper crop are familiar from either UK Monthly mags or Summer Specials.

Like Captain Marvel, Iron Fist succeeded because he had such a good back story (unlike some other new heroes created in the 70s.)

b.t. - I thought Iron Fist started with Larry Hama (unless you're just referring to Kane's cover!)

That Adams Conan cover is particularly impressive.

Phillip

Anonymous said...

Phillip: Kane drew the entire first issue of Fisty’s adventures. Hama drew the next 3 or 4 issues, followed by Arvell Jones, Pat Broderick , John Byrne etc.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

B.t. i’m with you buddy regarding Butler and his Kirby-esque art.

Charlie was weaned on Kirby (pre-DC) and Romita and Colan and Buscema from like 1970 and was not that thrilled with the disruption caused by new artists nor changes in the books themselves: price changes, explosion of titles, ubiquitous Gil Kane covers, fewer letters pages, fewer checklists, fewer bullpen bulletins…

Buckler and this FF cover in particular made me “feel at home” for a few moments. The Marvel romance had worn off by this time for Charlie but this issue was like a 2nd honeymoon and offered hope!

Colin Jones said...

The Black Panther and Man-Thing issues were both re-printed in Marvel UK's Planet Of The Apes weekly but, as Phillip mentioned, the Giant-Size Superstars is more familiar in the UK as Marvel Superheroes Summer Special 1979 (which I bought) and the Savage Tales/Conan cover was also the cover of Marvel UK's December 1978 issue of Savage Sword Of Conan monthly (which I also bought).

Redartz said...

There it is, Steve! Giant Size Super Stars! At that time, I'd been buying comics for about a month or so, and was really fired up. And like b.t., I jumped on the Giant Size bandwagon (and held on for the whole ride). I loved everything about that book- Buckler's Kirby borrowing art, the dynamite cover, the back up features, even the fact that they used the original Fantastic Four logo on the title ( as opposed to the more straightforward logo on the main FF title).

Then there's Man-Thing 5: another alltime favorite comic. Again, as b.t. said, Ploog's art was incredible. As was Gerber's bizarre tale. So many 'horror' books really weren't that creepy, but this story put chills down the reader's spine. Clowns can be creepy enough, let alone ghostly, resurrected suicidal ones. Oh, an added element of interest to this book- it was later available as a Power Records book and record comic (which I obviously had to get). It was pretty awesome as an audio comic, too.



Anonymous said...

Also out that month: AMAZING ADVENTURES 24 featured Herb Trimpe’s final Killraven story (not counting a fill-in he did a few years later with Bill Mantlo). I don’t remember much about McGregor’s story, I’m almost embarrassed to say. Nice Buckler/ Janson cover though!

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Captain Marvel, Jungle Action, Man-Thing, Iron Fist... if only you'd included Amazing Adventures #24 - or maybe Tomb of Dracula #20 - in this month's Lucky Bag instead of that issue of the Sub-Mariner, Steve, you'd have a spot on selection of the kind of second tier colour Marvels I was really into by this point in '74.
I always had a bit of a sentimental attachment to the FF, but otherwise I'd out-grown the regular super-hero comics - I mean, I was nearly 10, and they were for kids, right?

Captain Marvel definitely became cosmically aware for the first time in #29 - I remember that comic vividly as it real had impact, pretty much instantly making me a more demanding reader.
In retrospect though the flaws in Jim Starlin's run are readily apparent. Not to knock him - he was on a learning curve, and his Warlock still stands up well as a strong contender for best Marvel run of the 70s - but behind all the far out trippy pyrotechnics his Mar-Vell is basically a standard superheroic punch up that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Take CM #32 for instance. Thanos is essentially an omnipotent deity... but insists on fighting the various characters one by one, most ridiculously toward the end by dealing with Rick Jones - Rick #@&*ing Jones of all people - in his physical form.
There have been more idiotic stories featuring the Cosmic Cube, but Judo Jim still goes with the same basic story illogic as the rest of them.

Also, with the Thanos epic he pioneered the mega-crossover Event. Now that doesn't make them his fault of course, but maybe a bit of blame is in order?

-sean

Anonymous said...

b.t., AA #24 is a bit all over the place. Mutant bats, an anthropomorphic rat, secret tape recordings found in a post-apocalyptic Washington... Its almost exactly like Kamandi. Except of course its by Dauntless Don, so at the same time it also manages to be not much like Kamandi.

Interestingly (or possibly not) it also features a black character called Sabre.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sean. I did remember the Sabre character and the rest sounds vaguely familiar . Killraven ends up letting Carmilla use the Watergate Tapes as Christmas decorations or something like that?

b.t.

Colin Jones said...

Sean, if you were nearly 10 in May '74 you must be nearly 60 now so happy 60th when it comes!

Colin Jones said...

Another Tory MP defects to Labour - this time it's Natalie Elphicke, MP for Dover!

Anonymous said...

Sean, your critique of Starlin’s use (or mis-use) of the Cosmic Cube is, of course, totally fair. Ever since the original Cosmic Cube story by Lee and Kirby, where the Red Skull got ahold of the Magic Doohickey and ended up minutes later at the bottom of the sea wearing a suit of solid gold armor, it’s been obvious that the only way a hero can ever persevere in a story where the villain wields unlimited power to alter reality is if the villain does something really dumb.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

b.t., I actually read some of those earlier Trimpe-era Killraven stories fairly recently, otherwise I'd probably have been pretty vague about them too. Partly because back in the day I came in with Craig Russell - my first issue was AA #27 - but also I think the series just wasn't as memorable before that anyway.

There was a dreaded deadline doom issue - AA #30 I think? - that reprinted sections from the three that made up that Abraxas/Rattack/Sabre storyline, together with a Russell drawn framing sequence, and you don't miss all the stuff it left out. That says something about McGregor's writing I think.

On the other hand, his work on the Black Panther in Jungle Action was better, and pretty good right from the start. #9 was the first I read at the time, and I loved it (a big fave like Captain Marvel #29). Looking back, I could go on about how and why it doesn't always stand up for me now, but I think that would be more unfair than with Judo Jim's Mar-Vell because it's less reasonable to judge a 70s comic by later standards.

Having said that, I'll mention one big flaw - there was only a single issue drawn by Gil Kane! I thought he was an improvement on Buckler (and better than Billy Graham), and did a great job. Klaus Janson was the perfect inker for him.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Colin, the Natalie Elphicke news was hilarious. What next? Nigel Farage to join the Greens? Sammy Wilson to defect to Sinn FĂ©in?

Still, at least there's now a Labour MP you couldn't accuse of being Tory-lite.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Sean and B.T.-

My views on the nature of the Cosmic Cube are well established on this blog. To wit: It's a semi-sentient entity that can very easily turn around and put the user in a world of hurt.
Usually resulting in some sort of terribly ironic ending, which is often the case with these things.
Therefore, let caution be the byword should the Cube fall into your hands.

M.P.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip, M.P. If I ever get hold of the Cosmic Cube I will bear that in mind.

-sean

Anonymous said...

All these years, I thought there was only one Cosmic Cube. Silly me! A brief (VERY brief) scan of the Wikipedia article informs me that there have been lots of the things over the years, under a variety of ‘cooler’ sounding names, all somehow related to each other, I think?

After a paragraph or two, I had to stop reading. It started to feel like I was reading a page from one of Lovecraft’s ‘forbidden books’ and one of M.P. ‘s ‘semi-sentient entities’ was gonna get me.

b.t.