Tuesday 2 July 2024

Fifty years ago today - July 1974.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

For centuries, scientists have claimed that you can't turn back time.

But they're wrong.

I can.

And I will.

Watch with whatever emotion is appropriate as I fling myself back to July 1974 and decide whether I like it there or not.

Avengers #125, Thanos

The Avengers take a break from the Celestial Madonna Saga in order to come up against Thanos.

Despite its promised awesomeness, I remember nothing of this tale and cannot, therefore, pass any judgement upon its merits or otherwise.

Conan #40

I've never read this one, and all I can say is our hero's visiting the lost city of Ababenzzar in which he encounters a giant devil and rescues someone called Alonia.

Rather unusually, this one's drawn by Rich Buckler. I'm assuming that means he'll be mimicking John Buscema's style, rather than Jack Kirby's.

But what's this? There's also a Lee/Ditko backup strip called The Changeling in which an ugly king threatens a sorcerer with death unless he makes him the most handsome male in the world.

And, thanks to that, the sorcerer turns him into a swan.

Captain America and the Falcon #175

I genuinely have no idea what happens in this one, beyond it involving the Secret Empire.

And the X-Men.

And Cap.

And Falc.

Daredevil #111, Silver Samurai

Now there's trouble - because Black Spectre agent the Silver Samurai's captured Shanna the She-Devil!

There's only one thing for it. Daredevil must invade the Black Spectre airship and beat up the Mandrill!

Looking at that cover, I am slightly baffled, though, as to why the Samurai thinks the sky is his element. Since when is dangling from a ladder, with one hand and both feet occupied, a good place for a swordsman to be?

Fantastic Four #148, Frightful Four

Still reeling from Sue's decision to stay with the Sub-Mariner, the FF now must face the Frightful Four.

Fortunately for them, help's available from none other than Thundra. 

But that's where the good news ends because, now that he's won his beloved over, Subby begins another attack against mankind!

Hulk #177, Warlock

The Hulk's still on Counter-Earth and getting more and more involved in the sequence of events which will lead to the first death of Adam Warlock.

Amazing Spider-Man #134, The Tarantula

After umpteen years, it finally occurs to someone at Marvel to give Spidey a foe called the Tarantula.

It all happens on a boat - and I do believe it climaxes with the Punisher showing up to double our hero's headaches.

Thor #225, Firelord

The positive is that Thor and Hercules have stopped the Destroyer.

The negative is that Firelord's showed up and signalled for Galactus to return to Earth and devour it.

Kamandi, the Last Boy on Earth #19

That's the output of Marvel all done and dusted but, in another part of New York, things are likewise stirring.

So, let us rush over to that part of New York and discover just what the company's greatest rival is offering.

Or, at least, what a random sampling of what it's offering is offering.

This feature never fails to remind me just how many issues of Kamandi I had. This being among them.

Tragically, I can remember little to nothing of what transpires within but I do know it takes place in Chicago and would appear to involve gangsters that are actually speaking animals.

Seemingly, there are also androids in this tale. I'm going to guess, that, at first, the last boy on Earth thinks they're people before he realises they're not.

Rima, the Jungle Girl #2

In contrast to Kamandi, I've never owned a single issue of Rima.

This may have been because of my boyish bias against girls' comics or it may have been because I never actually saw any copies of it when I was perusing the various shops and markets of this land.

Sadly, I can shed no light upon the contents of this one, other than to say it's the handiwork of Robert Kanigher, Nestor Redondo and Joe Kubert which sounds like a promising team, to me.

There's also a backup yarn called The Delta Brain delivered by the minds and fingers of Robert Kanigher and Alex Niño.

The Shadow #5, Frank Robbins

It's an exciting day for us all, as Frank Robbins replaces Mike Kaluta on the strip that knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men.

I've mentioned before that, while I'm not normally a fan of Frank's, I do feel he was well-suited to this particular comic.

In this issue, we're delivered a tale we know only as Night of Neptune's Death!

Sadly, that's the sum total of my knowledge about it but, from that title, I shall assume it contains a ship-related plot and, no doubt, a watery grave for some criminal or other.

The Superman Family #165, Supergirl

Superman Family is still getting the 100-page treatment and, this month, it's Supergirl who lands the main feature when she must confront the Princess of the Golden Sun!

And it happens when she moves to Florida and joins the faculty at the New Athens Experimental School.

However, not everyone's pleased to see her - because, on her first day there, she's attacked by an Aztec princess who gains the powers of anyone who defeats her.

Following that, we get Jimmy Olsen in Scotland Yard!, Superbaby's First Foster-Parents!, The Man Who Betrayed Superman's Identity!, Lois Lane's Jungle Jeopardy!, Krypto's Three Amazing Transformations! and Clark Kent, Gangster! All of them reprints from the 1960s.

The Phantom Stranger #31

It's a memorable cover from Luis Dominguez but are the insides of this mag as memorable as its outsides?

That, I cannot say, as it's yet another one I've never read. 

I do know, though, that the main story is Sacred Is the Monster Kang! as brought to us by Arnold Drake and Gerry Talaoc.

And there's also a Black Orchid adventure called Island of Fear.

I predict that will feature an island.

And fear.

And the Black Orchid.

And rubber masks.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

AVENGERS 125 is the second issue in a row featuring the superb artistic team-up of John Buscema and Dave Cockrum. Story-wise it’s a rather pointless cross-over with Starlin’s Captain Marvel Vs. Thanos. The soap operatic romantic quadrangle involving Swordsman, Mantis, Vision and Scarlet Witch that’s been simmering in the margins for the last few issues explodes out into the open at the worst possible time, right in the middle of a space battle.

Coming after three stellar issues of CONAN THE BARBARIAN (Neal Adams’ brilliant fill-in followed by two stunning issues of John Buscema inking his own pencils) Rich Buckler and Ernie Chan stink up in the joint. Hard to see what Buckler’s pencils looked like under Chan’s chunky, heavy inks, but I do think if Pablo Marcos or Klaus Janson inked this one, the end result would probably have looked better.

Steve, in CAP 125 it was strongly hinted that President Nixon was the leader of the Secret Empire and blew his brains out in the Oval Office after his attempted coup failed. Now you know ;)

Believe it or not, the White House will be attacked again the very next month, this time by the Mandrill, Nekra and the all-female army of Black Spectre in the pages of DAREDEVIL 112.

Helluva nice cover by Big John B. on THOR 225.

RIMA is still to this day something of an unheralded Bronze Age gem. Story-wise, it’s nothing special (I say that a lot, don’t I?) but the spectacular art of Nestor Redondo (over layouts by Joe Kubert) is breath-taking, totally worth the price of admission. Plus, the first five issues feature Alex Nino having a blast drawing the far out Space Voyagers back-up strip.

God, I love those Frank Robbins SHADOWs.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Oddly this month I bought several of the featured Marvels (though not Spidey or FF due to Conway).

I was still a regular with the Shadow. FR’s art was in its own world, palatable and sometimes even enjoyable given Shadow was set in the 1930s and mirrored the newspaper strips of Caniff.

Regarding Conway, the comic business really had to be low margin profits for Marvel to entrust the 2 family jewels (ASM and FF) to a 20 year old. He should have been sorting Stan’s mail at that age… Maybe doing the Marvel checklist…

Anonymous said...

Sean - I did i deed visit the House of Terror in Budapest on Sunday which documents the terror the fascists and communists unleashed on Hungary, et al. Their favorite technique was to label an undesirable a kulak!

Anonymous said...

Sean - Thanks for the Francoise Hardy - Malcolm Mclaren team-up on YouTube. Nice song. Much oblged. Charlie

Anonymous said...

I never bought any of the DC 100-Page Giants back in the day, and my antipathy towards ‘Girl Comics’ in my teens was such that I would never even flip through a Supergirl or Lois Lane comic at the spinner rack. I certainly ogled the sexy GGA covers by Bob Oksner, but that’s different!

The one exception to my No Girl Comics rule was a copy of RIMA #4 on the overstuffed spinner rack at the Treasury department store. The Kubert cover made it look like a typically exciting Jungle Adventure comic, and I did flip through that one more than a few times, admiring that gorgeous Redondo art. But I never did buy the thing.

I eventually got over my fear of ‘Girl Comics’ somewhere in my 20s and 30s, and eventually acquired quite a few Supergirl and Lois Lane comics and enjoyed them. A few years ago I realized some of those SUPERMAN FAMILY 100 pagers had lead stories featuring Supergirl and Lois Lane , with appealing art by John ‘Lady Cop’ Rosenberger, and the little OCD Devil on my shoulder said ‘You need those.’ My local comics shop had all four of the Rosenberger ‘Girl Comics’ issues, in good shape and for very reasonable prices too. I skipped all the ones drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger (was never a fan of his style).

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Girl comics...? Its political correctness gone mad, b.t.

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised Rima isn't more highly regarded these days. Nestor Redondo and the mighty Alex Nino don't seem to crop up in lists of great artists of the era as much as they should either.
Story-wise, I'd say Rima could have followed up more on what made the comic unusual. Like being set in Venezuela! I would have been interested in reading more about her adopted grandfather - the fella with the dogs on that ridiculously misleading cover of #2 - being a guerilla, presumably in the Castro-backed FALN. Although perhaps it's inevitable a DC comic of the period didn't go into details.

Re: Daredevil - didn't the Mandrill take over the White House with his army of tattooed black women? I guess that would have been just after #1 of the Secret Empire blew his brains out in the Oval Office.
Obviously it was an eventful time in American politics!
A bit more momentous than now, when trying to decide who is the least senile candidate seems to be the order of the day over there.

Fortunately the election here is very nearly over. Somehow the Brits have managed to hold one that will probably be historic and yet completely boring.
My engagement has consisted of chatting to some of Gooners 4 Corbyn people the other day.
Keep the war criminals out!

-sean

Anonymous said...

Steve, I recently came across an intriguing theory that Black Orchid was really Supergirl -

https://comicboxcommentary.blogspot.com/2022/09/black-orchid-verdict.html

-sean

Anonymous said...

Sean - In Hudson's original story, Nuflo(Rima's surrogate grandfather-figure)'s bandit capers happened way before Castro. Is the comic version set at a later date? (I've never read it.)

Phillip

Anonymous said...

The Rima comic had a (then) contemporary setting, Phillip.
Although even in the mid-70s whether Nuflo would have been in the FALN depends on how old the characters are, which isn't very clear. Perhaps we can get into it more in a couple of months if Steve includes Rima #3 - the origin issue - in this feature.

-sean

Anonymous said...

The Rima comic had a (then) contemporary setting, Phillip.
Although even in the mid-70s whether Nuflo would have been in the FALN depends on how old the characters are, which isn't very clear. Perhaps we can get into it more in a couple of months if Steve includes Rima #3 - the origin issue - in this feature.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Apologies, Steve. I have no idea why that comment appeared twice.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Best girl comic ever was “Little Annie Fannie” by the great EC artist Harvey Kurtzman. The situations she would get into, and the skills applied getting out of them, were thrilling in many ways!

Anonymous said...

I think Little Annie Fanny might come under b.t.'s 'but thats different' observation...?

-sean

Steve W. said...

Sean, I think I might have also made the, "Black Orchid is Kryptonian/Supergirl," argument on here, a long long time ago.

Anonymous said...

Anny Fanny had a couple of super powers and GGA going for her! Also a great can-do attitude!

Anonymous said...

Steve, you are the man! (Your fascination with Supergirl notwithstanding).
Turns out, you did indeed come up with a Black Orchid is the Maid of Might theory. Well over a decade ago -

https://stevedoescomics.blogspot.com/2011/07/black-orchid-is-watching-you-phantom.html

I don't know why I bother with other comic blogs.

-sean

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Charlie (I assume thats you going on about Little Annie Fanny).
And the US of A too, I guess.

-sean