Sunday 15 September 2024

2000 AD - August 1986.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

Pablo Picasso famously created a painting called Weeping Woman and, in August 1986, she had plenty to weep about.

That's because she was stolen.

I can give few details of the crime because the culprits were never apprehended but I do know that, just two weeks after vanishing, she was found in a locker at the Spencer Street Station in Melbourne, Australia. How she got there, I would struggle to tell you but it all sounds a rum do and no mistaking.

There were, however, works of art, that month, where there was no doubt at all where they could be found.

And that's because they were movies.

Which meant they could be found in movie cinemas.

August saw the release of a whole slew of the things, both celebrated and shunned but, amongst them were Flight of the Navigator, Friday the 13th Part VI, She's Gotta Have It, The Transformers: The Movie, The Fly, Manhunter, Night of the Creeps, Stand by Me, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and legendary Madonna/Sean Penn flop Shanghai Surprise.

But, of course, what really mattered was the release of just one film. 

And that film was the one we'd been waiting all our lives for.

At last, the world got to know the thrill of being able to go to a picture house and see a movie dedicated to Howard the Duck!

To be honest, I feel it probably wasn't the best movie released that month. Or possibly any month. In fact, it'd probably struggle to be the best film released in a month in which it was the only film released.

Still, at least it tried

For my pick of the month, I suspect I'm going to have to go for Manhunter, even though it has nothing to do with a certain comic strip of the same name. However others may disagree with my choice. Especially as I know The Fly has its devotees.

And, amazingly, so does Chris de Burgh. Or at least he did back then. Despite being terminally unhip, he managed to spend a large chunk of that August at Number One on the UK singles chart, thanks to his track The Lady in Red, before subsiding before the challenge of Boris Gardiner's I Want to Wake Up With You.

On the accompanying album chart, just two LPs ruled the roost, that August. The first being Madonna's True Blue which was then forced to make way for the inevitable rise of Now That's What I Call Music! 7. Truly, there was no escaping from those albums, back then.

But what of the galaxy's greatest comic?

To the surprise of absolutely no one, it's still giving us Strontium Dog, Tharg's Future-Shocks, Judge Dredd, Ace Trucking Co, Sooner or Later and Nemesis the Warlock.

Surely worthy of mention is that Prog 484 features a Judge Dredd tale titled The Fists of Stan Lee in which the redoubtable upholder of the rule of law must battle a martial arts expert named in honour of "The Man" himself.

But the biggest news is that Prog 483 sees the start of the new series Metalzoic which has the distinction of being serialised and reprinted from the DC book of the same name, a 62-page graphic novel by Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill with a cover by Bill Sienkiewicz. There's fancy for you.


2000 AD #485,, Metalzoic

2000 AD #484, Judge Dredd

2000 AD #483, Metalzoic

2000 AD #482, Torquemurder

2000 AD #481

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’ve never even heard of that “Metalzoic” strip— now you’ve got me curious to check it out. Those O’Neill covers look insane.

MANHUNTER is my fave from that list too, Steve — by far. I re-watched it just a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised to see how well it holds up. I mean, it’s so “80s-looking”, it’s almost funny, but I find it adds to the charm. And Brian Cox is my favorite Screen Lecter.

b.t.

Matthew McKinnon said...

I hope you find me a copy - it’s bonkers and brilliant. Apparently no-one is interested in reprinting it.

Matthew McKinnon said...

MID-80s 2000AD IN DECENT COVERS SHOCK!

A good Ewins, a decent Talbot and two great O’Neills: so you can see why they had to balance the scales with a truly terrible and stupid Smith at the end of the month. Seriously, who’s that cover supposed to appeal to?

Metalzoic is great. I was lucky enough to grab the DC edition on an annual trip to Forbidden Planet in 1985. That and the Sienkiewicz Dune adaptation, and a few Swamp Things that hadn’t arrived in newsagents yet. Nice haul.

I wish Mills and O’Neill had done more little self-contained projects like this. If it were a movie you could call it a ‘tight 90’.

I’d easily choose The Fly over Manhunter. The latter is endlessly watchable and technically amazing but The Fly is a full-blown masterpiece. I watched it again for the first time in ages recently and it really, genuinely upset me. And I must have seen it ten or fifteen times before over the years.

Colin Jones said...

Phillip recently mentioned John Denver's Shanghai Breezes and now Madonna's Shanghai Surprise pops up!

Anonymous said...

On a tangent…Ms. Charlie studied in Shang Hai for a year in 1986. This was pre-boom and the city had maybe 1000 foreigners.

being fair skinned Ms.Charlie found herself being asked to be an extra in a movie that became a cult classic of sorts in China.

Set in the early 1900s, when westerners started arriving and destroying the pure and innocent China, she played a russian prostitute. You could tell she was because, though covered from chin to toes in a heavy gaudy dress, you could see her shoulders !!!

Anonymous said...

Charlie - The best table in a Chinese restaurant, may be yours for the asking, when accompanied by Ms.Charlie!

Phillip

Colin Jones said...

Charlie, 1986 was also the year when Queen Elizabeth made a state visit to China accompanied by her husband Prince Philip. They met a group of British students and Philip told them not to stay in China too long or they'd get "slitty eyes" which caused a lot of controversy at the time!

Anonymous said...

I got Metalzoic back when it came out from DC too, Matthew. (I think it was their 'DC Graphic Novel' series follow up to Jack Kirby's Hunger Dogs?)

Good stuff... but I have to admit I was a little disappointed at the time that it was sooo 2000AD. I know that sounds a bit strange given that I'm into 2000AD, but I'd hoped that maybe Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill would take the opportunity to do something a bit different.

Like, when Alan Moore appeared in that BBC Comics Britannia programme ages ago, he talked about the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and said that O'Neill was a bit surprised that he was asked to do it. Moore suggested that was because as an artist he'd been kind of marginalised in the comics biz, that editors thought he was good for weird stuff about aliens or robots "but for god's sake don't give Kevin something to draw with people in it!"

I think there's something in that, and also much as I like Pat Mills dare I suggest that in the progs he could be a bit repetitive? Theres nothing wrong with robots, dinosaurs and whatnot, but away from the progs it seemed a shame the pair didn't try something they couldn't have done for Tharg.
Although of course I didn't know at the time that Metalzoic was also going to appear in 2000AD too, and that it was probably the kind of thing DC wanted from them anyway.

-sean

Anonymous said...

PS I'm not as convinced as you by the covers. The O'Neill ones are great, but otherwise...

Not sure why the Moore droid is shown on the cover of prog 481? I mean, he's not about to 'get back to work' for the Galaxy's Greatest Comic in mid '86... They haven't even reprinted one of his old Future Shocks inside (something Tharg was prone to doing around this point).

-sean

Anonymous said...

On the subject of the British royals - seeing as Colin bought them up - my understanding is that 'I Want to Wake Up With You' originally got exposure on the radio because the BBC used it in some coverage of Prince Andrew's wedding the previous month.
Hey, Steve, how come you didn't mention the royal wedding in this feature last time? Anyone would think you didn't care...

Boris Gardiner having a number one hit has to be one of the strangest events of the decade, at least from the point of view anyone into Jamaican music.
I mean, he was one of the key players since the ska era of the early 60s. He played bass in the Studio One house band Sound Dimension, on records like 'Real Rock' (from 1968) -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebMv8dnRfMY

- which formed the basis for dozens of classics, like Willie Williams' 'Armagideon Time' -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8QshGV3o6k

And he was one of the Upsetters too, and the Aggrovators, who between them must have played on most other records that came out of Jamaica in the 70s.
That said, 'I Want to Wake Up With You' is terrible. Still, good for him, getting a pay day.

-sean

Colin Jones said...

Nice full moon tonight and I remembered MP's remark that the distance from one edge to the other equates to the distance from Maine to California. I also had a bombshell realisation regarding SPACE:1999 - if the moon went off wandering around the universe what would happen to all the werewolves and vampires back on Earth without a full moon??? It's been nearly 50 years since I first watched SPACE:1999 but that thought had never occurred to me until tonight!

Colin Jones said...

Sean's comment about Boris Gardiner made me go to YouTube to listen to I Want To Wake Up With You which I haven't heard for donkey's years and one of the comments underneath the video claimed it's actually a song about stalking!

Anonymous said...

We got a harvest mmon, a blood moon, a super moon, and partial eclipse tomorrow here in Chicago! What about you others?

Matthew McKinnon said...

I’m not sure how frosty Moore’s relations with Tharg were at this point. Watchmen was only just beginning to make waves and he might not have been quite as disenchanted with publishers at this point? It wasn’t far off though.

It could also be that 2000AD just put him on the cover regardless of his feelings.

Matthew McKinnon said...

‘At this point’ twice. FFS

Colin Jones said...

Charlie, according to BBC radio we're due both a supermoon and a partial eclipse tonight in the UK so I'm hoping the sky will be cloudless like last night.