Sunday 1 September 2024

Fifty years ago today - September 1974.

Thanks to Charlie Horse 47 and Killdumpster for their sponsorship of this post, via the magic of Patreon
***

1974!

I remember it well!

Sort of.

Avengers #127, the Inhumans

Unless my ever-loving memory deserts me, this is the first half of the two-parter that sees Crystal marry Quicksilver.

Needless to say, it's not long before the Human Torch is wanting to smash him in the face.

But let's face it, what girl wouldn't want to marry Quicksilver? He's quite the charmer.

Then again, Omega and the Alpha Primitives may not agree.

After all, they're doing everything they can to wreck proceedings.

Conan the Barbarian #42, Night of the Gargoyle

I've never seen the inside of this comic but, apparently, in the city of Zamor, Conan fights a gargoyle and saves someone called Arlinna.

So, just another day at the office, basically.

Fantastic Four #150, Ultron and the wedding of Quicksilver and Crystal

Unless my ever-loving memory deserts me again, this is the second half of the two-parter in which Crystal marries Quicksilver!

However, from that cover, I'm assuming Omega turns out to be Ultron in disguise.

Incredible Hulk #179, the Missing Link

It's one of my Hulk favourites, as the Missing Link returns as a good guy and Bruce Banner gets a job as a miner.

Despite becoming friends, it's not long before the two monsters come to blows, each convinced the other is out to hurt the locals.

Iron Man #70, Sunfire and Ultimo

Hooray! Sunfire is back!

Are probably words no human being has ever uttered.

Still, I suppose he might come in useful, as Iron Man takes on the power of Ultimo.

However, the presence of Ultimo suggests to me the Mandarin may also be around.

Amazing Spider-Man #136, The Green Goblin Lives Again

This is what we want! The Green Goblin returns!

And, this time, he's Harry Osborn!

I think this is the tale in which Harry abducts a bunch of Peter Parker's nearest and dearest and straps a bomb to one of them!

But which one?

And can Spidey get to him/her in time?

Thor #227, Hercules and Firelord

With Firelord, Hercules and a living planet involved, it can only be described as a clash of egos.

Daredevil and the Black Widow #113, the Gladiator

DD's greatest foe is back!

Not only that but he kidnaps Candice Nelson!

For reasons I can't remember, this leads the man without fear to scour the Everglades for missing scientist Ted Sallis.

This all tells me we're about to get the nerve-shredding introduction of the hat-wearing fiend we can only refer to as Death-Stalker!

Captain America and the Falcon #177, Lucifer

Never having read this comic, I can only wonder if this Lucifer is related to the one who appeared in an early X-Men story?

Then again, was there a villain called Lucifer who appeared in an early X-Men story, or am I just imagining things?

Wonder Woman #213, the Flash

That's Marvel's big hitters attended to but even the house of ideas must be wary of its closest rival.

So, that in mind, just what's occurring in the pages of a random sample of its comics which bear that selfsame cover date?

I do believe this is one of those tales in which Wonder Woman must complete various missions in order to prove she's still worthy of being a member of the Justice League. 

Thus it is that the Flash sticky-beaks, as she tries to stop an alien robot built to bring peace to Earth but which, instead, causes nothing but trouble.

Famous First Edition #C-30, Wonder Woman

That was the amazin' Amazon as she is now.

But what about as she was then?

Here's where we find out, when DC treats us to one of her earliest adventures.

In that tale, she takes Steve Trevor back to America and adopts the identity of Diana Prince so she can remain close to him.

However, stalking Steve Trevor doesn't come free and, to earn the money she'll need to keep doing it, she begins to perform her bullets and bracelets routine for a living, not realising her naughty promoter's stealing all the profits!

Next, master of every field of human activity, Terry Sloane adopts the not-at-all self-satisfied identity of Mr Terrific in order to escape boredom. But he soon finds a better purpose in life. One that involves fighting crime!

Then, the ghost of an 18th Century earl possesses the newly-deceased body of Charles Collins, so he can be near the reincarnation of his lost love.

Next, First World War American ace Gunner Godbee and his buddy Nick encounter two German Heinkel aircraft.

Then, Tommy Rogers, Tubby and Toughy rescue a grocer who's been kidnapped by gangsters.

Finally, and more memorably, boxer Ted Grant kills the former champ in the ring and adopts the guise of Wildcat in order to clear his name.

Needless to say, all these adventures are reprinted from the pages of 1942's Sensation Comics #1.

The Phantom Stranger #32

It's another tale you'll never forget when the Phantom Stranger investigates the case of a man who never dies and is willing to kill whoever it takes, in order to preserve his secret.

Why he needs to keep it secret, I don't know. As far as I'm aware, there's no law against not dying.

And this issue's backup thriller is called The Crime of the Black Orchid.

From that title, I'm going to assume it's the Nestor Redondo drawn tale in which a young man and woman frame our enigmatic heroine for a string of robberies she hasn't committed.

Needless to say, it's not long before our mistress of mystery brings them to justice, thanks to her spectacular strength and extensive collection of rubber masks.

The Shadow #6, Night of the Ninja

I don't have a clue what happens in this one but it's drawn by Mike Kaluta and features both the Shadow and a ninja. This all sounds like a winning formula to me.

Action Comics #439, too big to live

Since the dawn of time, all intelligent humans have asked one question. "Who would win a fight between Superman and Popeye?"

Fortunately, we don't need to ask that question as it's already been answered in a previous issue when the man of steel encountered Captain Strong, the sailor who becomes incredibly powerful when he starts chewing on seaweed.

But, now, we need to know who'd win a fight between Superman and Bluto.

And we get our answer, this very month, when Kal-El encounters a brutish, bearded foe who turns out to be an alien stranded on Earth and transformed, for the worse, by his exposure to that aforementioned seaweed. Clearly, the only message we can glean from this tale is to stay away from the weed.

Needless to say, our hero defeats his foe and, having restored him to his normal amiable self, gets his spaceship working for him, so he can, at last, return home.

But I do detect there's even more because I do believe this issue's backup tale features the Atom encountering a villainous scientist who only exists in two dimensions. One who is shrinking with every day that passes!

I think this tale may have I introduced my ten-year-old self to the phrase, "Solar plexus." Yet again, comics prove to be a vital source of erudition and education.

25 comments:

dangermash said...

That looks to me like the same Lucifer who appears in (from memory, might be wrong) X-Men #9, #20, #21. I was disappointed when I first read my X-Men Masterworks to discover that he was just some alien with an underground HQ and not another Marvel version of the devil.

And the Harry Osborn as the Goblin story will last for two issues. It's not until next month that he kidnaps three people and straps a bomb to the one who's most dear to PP.

Strange Spider-Man comic, though. In places it's written as if it will be a big reveal when we find out it's Harry but there's a big spoiler on the cover. Reminds me a bit of ASM #32 when the Master Planner is revealed to be Doc Ock in the second panel when he should have been kept a secret up until he pounces on Spider-Man.

Fantastic Four follower said...

That Shadow issue is generally held up as the best issue of the 5 that Kaluta drew...high praise indeed!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Shadow issue rocked it! Charlie was a devotee, even through the Fr@nk R@obbins years!

Man... Gunner Godbee taking on 2 (!) Heinkel bombers. Those were the days! Imagine if Marvel got a hold of him; he'd be taking on Ego in no time! Still have that tabloid size wonder woman btw.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve - tomorrow / Monday is Labor Day here in the USA. Thanks for all your hard work putting this blog out! It's a great place to hang out!

Colin - I was at the LCBS today and they had a free Marvel comic kicking off the new Planet of the Apes series. I suppose we would call it a "Zero" issue in today's comic lingo. The art is good, the story is good. It covers the past 20 years explaining now the apes developed their intellect and borrows heavily on the Covid events. Not deep reading but still worth it the price!

Colin Jones said...

Charlie, I knew Marvel launched a Planet Of The Apes comic last year and another one earlier THIS year called Beware The Planet Of The Apes but I didn't know about a third one so thanks for informing me!

That Fantastic Four issue was reprinted in Marvel UK's Complete FF #18 in January 1978 which I remember reading by candlelight because of a power cut (ah, the joys of '70s Britain).

Colin Jones said...

Unfortunately Marvel haven't reinstated their classic '70s Planet Of The Apes logo on the new comics.

Anonymous said...

Dangermash-

Same guy! Lucifer I mean.
Well, sort of. He escaped from the dimension he was banished to and returned to Earth.
Then things got complicated. Suffering from acute food poisoning after eating a candy bar, he was forced to transfer his, ah, essence or identity or what ever ya wanna call it into two humans. Didn't work out very well.
This is an Englehart story, okay. Personally I'm a big fan of his run on Captain America.
I can handle the crazy.
But I always wondered what happened to Lucifer after that.

M.P.

Colin Jones said...

I'm now able to recycle paper and card at my local Tesco as well as plastic bags and food wrappers! For a long time I've reluctantly avoided food sold in boxes because the boxes were a palaver to recycle (kerbside collections being the only option) but now I can buy boxed foodstuffs like quiche, steak & ale pie and Jaffa Cakes to my heart's content :D

Anonymous said...

Steve, Harry plays his “Who Will I Blow Up?” Game in ASM 137, but he DOES plant a bomb at his own apartment door in 136, which explodes as MJ turns the key in the lock (she and Peter miraculously survive).

The way you’ve described CONAN 42, it does seem pretty ho-hum/ business as usual, but I thought Roy and Big John were in the middle of a solidly entertaining run of issues around that time. Even Ernie Chan was stepping up his game. I liked this one just fine.

AVENGERS 127 featured Joe Staton’s debut for Marvel, embellishing breakdowns by Our Pal Sal. I was pretty impressed back in the day, thought he added a little extra ‘something’ to Sal’s work that you didn’t get when he was inked by more “conventional” inkers like Mike Esposito, Dan Green or Vince Colletta.

Speaking of Colletta, he became Bob Brown’s regular inker on DAREDEVIL this month, and the result was so ugly, I stopped buying DD for awhile. I do love that Romita cover though.

I enjoyed Buckler’s Xerox Kirby style on THOR 227 at the time, but I don’t dig this one much anymore.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Also, my Unconditional Nerd Honeymoon was definitely starting to wind down around this time. Whereas a month or two before this, I’d have impulse-bought just about anything that had that MARVEL COMICS GROUP banner at the top, I was becoming a bit more critical and pickier in my choices.
I flipped through CREATURES ON THE LOOSE 31 at the spinner rack — Tuska/Colletta, nope — and put it back. Spotted that nice Romita cover on HUMAN TORCH 1, flipped through it — ugly reprints, nope— put it back.

Some books I continued to buy, but I noticed I was enjoying them less. I was starting to realize the Friedrich/Tuska IRON MAN had actually been pretty mediocre the entire time I’d been reading it, but I was still buying it regularly, for some reason. The Conway/Buckler FANTASTIC FOUR felt increasingly lame compared to the Lee/Kirby Classics concurrently being reprinted in MARVEL’S GREATEST — the limp, utterly joyless Crystal/Pietro Wedding issue in FF 150 being a perfect case in point.

Etc etc.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

b.t. - In the UK, Sal & Joe Staton teamed prior to that Avengers, in MWOM # 260 (which I had bought for me.) Even earlier, didn't Sal & Staton do a Hulk story, with (hallucinations of?) Iron Man & the Silver Surfer battling each other? Admittedly, just because those Hulk Sal & Statons were earlier than that Avengers story, in the UK, doesn't mean they predated it in Marvel's real (i.e. U.S.) chronology.

Phillip

Anonymous said...

Phillip, I’m pretty sure the Buscema/Staton HULK run came later. I’m not sure how the MWOM stuff fits into the timeline…

b.t.

Steve W. said...

Bt and Dangermash, thanks for the Harry Osborn bombing clarification.

MP and Dangermash, thanks for the Lucifer clarification.

Fantastic Four follower, Charlie, Colin and Phillip, thanks for your comments too.

Anonymous said...

Phillip:
According to Mike’s Amazing World, MIGHTY WORLD OF MARVEL was only up to issues 101-104 in “Cover Date Sept 74” (“On Sale DateAugust 74”). Looks like MWOM 260 was published in Sept 77.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

b.t. - You're right seems it was 1976! Excellent art:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/sal-buscema-and-joe-staton-incredible-hulk-200-page-18-iron-man-silver-surfer-and-hercules-original-art/a/7152-92050.s

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/incredible-hulk-200--128634133100376037/

Phillip

Anonymous said...

b.t. - The confusion, from a UK chronology, is Marvel UK's Super Spider-man reprinted the Avengers/Inhumans, after MWOM's Sal & Statons!

Phillip

Anonymous said...

Ah. Makes sense

b.t.

Anonymous said...

Steve, Wonder Woman may be Super-Heroine Number One, but WW #213 is a terrible issue. Suddenly no-one wants to fight anymore, and there's no more wars! Suffering Sappho, what will everyone do now? Frankly, that doesn't really strike me as a problem for an Amazon with the wisdom of Athena to be sorting out.
And somehow I don't see her as being that keen on Henry Kissinger!

After the various new directions DC tried out for the character in the early 70s - reworking the 'white jumpsuit' era, wimmin's lib and 'relevance', mythic fantasy, Nubia, a return to Marston influenced camp - they decided to make her just a regular boring DC super-person. What a fail.

For all that its a bit corny, her origin in Sensation Comics #1 is much more entertaining. I think my favourite part is where WW adopts her secret identity - having got the money she was owed from her dodgy promoter, she goes to see how Steve Trevor's getting on in hospital, and sees a nurse outside looking upset. So they get talking - turns out that Diana Prince (for that is her name) is down because her fiance has just got a job in South America, meaning they won't be able to see each other anymore, boo-hoo.
So WW suggests hey, we have the same name - Diana - and you look a bit like me without your glasses on, so why I don't I give you the money to go to South America, and we swap places, so I can be near Steve, working in the hospital? Criminal identity fraud - brilliant!

-sean

Anonymous said...

Btw Steve, on the subject of Sensation Comics #1, you forgot to mention the feature 'The Black Pirate'. Who not in fact black, but it is an ok story (making allowances for the time).

You also didn't mention that the guy possessed by the 18th century Earl is The Gay Ghost. Who is not in fact gay, despite the promise of "the queerest story of all time".
The character was revived - as The Grim Ghost - in a late 80s issue of Secret Oranges by (perhaps inevitably) Roy Thomas. He re-told that origin adding a bit more 'realism' and historical perspective. But if you ask me, someone who sets their story in "County Ulster" probably shouldn't be writing about Ireland in the 1690s...

-sean

Anonymous said...

Isn't The Shadow #6 the last Kaluta one? Its ok, but the best comic of the month isn't actually here. And thats Rima the Jungle Girl #3. Fact.

-sean

Redartz said...

Another month for sharp John Romita covers! ASM is great, as is Daredevil. Not to menton his iconic cover for the first Marvel Treasury Editon, also out this (that) month. Of course the interior art was pretty solid on the webslinger, too- Ross Andru's work on ASM 136 was perhaps his nicest on that title. Ross really aced that tale, some fine architectural backgrounds, and the explosion scene that b.t. mentioned was excellently rendered.

Oh, and I totally agree about the enhancement that Joe Staton brought to Sal B's Avengers. Really perked it up...

Anonymous said...

Steve, since I know you only post Marvel and DC books on “Fifty Years Ago Today”, I won’t be stealing your thunder by mentioning GHOSTLY HAUNTS 40 and MANY GHOSTS OF DR. GRAVES 47, both of which have tasty Tom Sutton art.
Also, EERIE 60 was the first non-reprint Warren magazine I ever owned, and it’s loaded with excellent art and stories by Jose Ortiz, Leopold Sanchez, Wally Wood, Paul Neary, Richard Corben and best of all, Bernie Wrightson.

b.t.

Anonymous said...

b.t.-

Ah, Charlton. As a kid I was fiend for comic books, and while I preferred super-hero stuff (especially if it was cosmic; that is, about outer space) I sometimes had to settle for Charlton comics. Kind of a bummer., I really wanted to read Avengers or F.F.
And now I find I have a sentimental attachment to them! They were my introduction to Ditko. There was one story, I forget the title, but it was drawn by Ditko and in it there's some burglar who breaks into some rich dead guy's funeral vault . Anyway, he somehow get's trapped in there with the old guy's ghost! Forever! AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!
That story spooked the heck outta me when I was a kid.
I have avoided funeral vaults ever since.
Which has not been difficult.

M.P.

Steve W. said...

MP, was that Charlton comic Haunted #16?
https://www.comics.org/issue/27440/

Bt, on that subject, I can announce that, this month, I had three of this month's Charlton issues. They were:

Ghost Manor #20
Ghostly Haunts #40
Yang #4.

I had one Marvel comic. It was:

Savage Tales #6.

And I had five DCs:

House of Secrets #123
Action Comics #439
The Witching Hour #46
Weird War Tales #29
The Phantom Stranger #32.

Anonymous said...

Eerie #60 has some excellent artwork in it, b.t., but the stories...?
I wasn't convinced by the take on pre-gentrification Whitechapel in the lead feature, Night of the Jackasses (although it did look good thanks to Jose Ortiz).

Unusually for Eerie, I suppose at least the Wally Wood one had a happy ending...

-sean